Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 15/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Colchester United (A) League 1 Saturday 15/11/08.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:35 pm

adjisaddler wrote:I heard on the radio that Weston got injured though didn't he ... what's the news on that?

Have no fear, adji - it was just a touch of cramp, during stoppage time - hardly surprising, given how little he has played, so far, this season! :evil:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
adjisaddler wrote:I heard on the radio that Weston got injured though didn't he ... what's the news on that?

Have no fear, adji - it was just a touch of cramp, during stoppage time - hardly surprising, given how little he has played, so far, this season! :evil:

I was going to post something about splinters from the bench, but he didn't normally get even that close to a game.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:02 pm

Pedagogue wrote:

cheers mate ,,, thats a relief

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:01 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Nice one , a win!

Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon, John Constable!!!!!! Darren Day!!!!! Darren Day!!!!! Can you hear me Darren Day?! You lose!!!! Boudicca! BOUDICCA!!!! YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING!!!!!!!

:mrgreen:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:08 pm

King Crimson wrote:Damon Albarn, Graham Coxon, John Constable!!!!!! Darren Day!!!!! Darren Day!!!!! Can you hear me Darren Day?! You lose!!!! Boudicca! BOUDICCA!!!! YOUR BOYS TOOK ONE HELL OF A BEATING!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

:D :D :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Stu wrote:Doesn't matter whether we're 5pts off or 50pts off, win it and we still won't be in the Top 6.

Of the 9 teams above us, we've played 6, W2 L4... The two we won were against a 9 man team who cruised past us last week and a Southend team who were in an awful run of form and have since picked up, the others quite frankly outplayed us (Leicester, Millwall, Leeds, Posh).

We did, of course, draw at Leicester.

And we beat Scunthorpe (edit: or were they the nine-man side? - I assumed that was Brighton).

In fact, going on real results (not ones that seem to come from some parallel universe), in games against the nine teams above us we've beaten Scunthorpe and Southend, drawn with Leicester and lost to Peterborough and Leeds for a fairly respectable W2, D1, L2 record. We haven't yet played Millwall, Oldham, MK Dons or Stockport.

Anyway, the point wasn't that we would make the play-offs with the current set-up (the one that got those results), but that the results suggest that with a decent manager we would be capable of doing so. I think that Mullen's cost us five points (or at least four, with the game in hand still to play). If he hasn't then he's been competent.

So, my point was that either the players are good enough and they're being mismanaged (so, the budget's sufficient) or they're a mid-table side being managed to mid-table (so Mullen's done ok and the furore about his appointment is misplaced).

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Well I wasnt expecting that.

After the past few weeks of garbage football and more negativity surrounding Walsall than ever before, I expected us to get hammered 3 or 4. By no stretch of the immagination, the performance was poor and Colchester were the worst side I have seen for many a year. But we won. Hopefully that can spur us on to climb the table, but dont hold your breath.

Weston came back into the side and its no coincidence for us to get a clean sheet .He played very well and showed how a full back should be positioned on a football pitch (Taundry take note). We actually looked like we had a midfield out there yesterday. Mattis, Hughes and Taundry all did well and showed that we are probably at our best away from home with a 5 man midfield. Nicholls and Deeney were probably the best two from our lot. Both of them actually got to the byline and produced some decent crosses, especially the one for the Mattis goal.

Apart from playing poor again, my only gripe is the fact that during the second half Ricketts was used more as a centre half come defensive midfielder, rather than a striker and IF the opposition were better- I feel we would have been pummelled.

BTW- When Weston left the pitch yesterday, Mullen didnt tap him on the back or shake his hand for playing well....he ignored him and then sat down. Quite childish to be honest. However Mullen came to the edge of the pitch twice, to clap and say well done Palmer :mrgreen:

We needed those three points.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:13 pm

Jockey wrote:Well I wasnt expecting that.

After the past few weeks of garbage football and more negativity surrounding Walsall than ever before, I expected us to get hammered 3 or 4. By no stretch of the immagination, the performance was poor and Colchester were the worst side I have seen for many a year. But we won. Hopefully that can spur us on to climb the table, but dont hold your breath.

Weston came back into the side and its no coincidence for us to get a clean sheet .He played very well and showed how a full back should be positioned on a football pitch (Taundry take note). We actually looked like we had a midfield out there yesterday. Mattis, Hughes and Taundry all did well and showed that we are probably at our best away from home with a 5 man midfield. Nicholls and Deeney were probably the best two from our lot. Both of them actually got to the byline and produced some decent crosses, especially the one for the Mattis goal.

Apart from playing poor again, my only gripe is the fact that during the second half Ricketts was used more as a centre half come defensive midfielder, rather than a striker and IF the opposition were better- I feel we would have been pummelled.

BTW- When Weston left the pitch yesterday, Mullen didnt tap him on the back or shake his hand for playing well....he ignored him and then sat down. Quite childish to be honest. However Mullen came to the edge of the pitch twice, to clap and say well done Palmer :mrgreen:

We needed those three points.

Maybe Mullen realised that the opposition were poor and thought we could do ok playing that way........ or maybe not.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:10 pm

Well Jockey has summed that up. I am delighted for the team and to be honest, I'm delighted for Jimmy Muddle on a humanitarian level. I've been giving him fearful stick at times. After a week that would knock the stuffing out of anyone, a 2-0 away win is just the ticket.

Whilst I won't be scurrying back like a naughty schoolboy, this sort of result gladdens my heart. I do still think the team is far better than its manager, but no-one should be in any doubt that hardened absentees wish players or management alike bad form.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:01 pm

yep im glad to win to ... and its pleasing for Mullen to have a win and ease some pressure on Him , but lets see if he can follow it up and prove the fans wrong

concretehippo

Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 am

Weston back in the team so he's in the shop window ready for the January sales? :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:47 am

Obviously delighted with a clean sheet and 3 points , albeit against a poor side and by all accounts another dissapointing performance .
What's really pleasing was to see Weston back in the starting line up . I hope this puts an end to any problems between Rhys and Muddle.

A much stiffer test awaits when the inform MK Dons visit the Banks's next Saturday.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Deeney Man of the Match for Walsall according to the Birmingham Mail. Thought I'd just put that on record, as the lad appears to get precious little praise and lots of criticism.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:46 pm

fensaddler wrote:Deeney Man of the Match for Walsall according to the Birmingham Mail. Thought I'd just put that on record, as the lad appears to get precious little praise and lots of criticism.

Indeed the lad gets a lot of stick on here , unfair stick IMHO.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:09 pm

fensaddler wrote:Deeney Man of the Match for Walsall according to the Birmingham Mail. Thought I'd just put that on record, as the lad appears to get precious little praise and lots of criticism.

He did play well Saturday. Credit where credit is due.

Did well to get the cross over for the first goal. He was squeezed into the corner flag, but still managed to get the ball over.

I thought we played ok & it was a surprising and most welcome 3 points.

To me there seemed a worrying rift between Ince & Gerrard - A distinct lack of communication, they weren't even interested in arguing with each other!! About time they they kissed & made up or it will cost us. A mix up between them nearly cost us a goal Saturday.

andy22
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:46 pm

If the news reports are to be belived we were luck in the fact that Colchester had the majority of the play and if theyd been a better side we'd have been in serious trouble. But still it was a win and 3 points in the bag
The most disgraceful thing is Mullen attitude to Weston in turning his back on him as he came off and not even acknowleding him, a total disgrace. :evil:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:52 pm

Duke wrote:Obviously delighted with a clean sheet and 3 points , albeit against a poor side and by all accounts another dissapointing performance .
What's really pleasing was to see Weston back in the starting line up . I hope this puts an end to any problems between Rhys and Muddle.

A much stiffer test awaits when the inform MK Dons visit the Banks's next Saturday.

Just to be positive for a moment. Colchester have just got relegated from two years in the Championship and have spent a fair bit already this season, including 400k for a striker [Gillespie]. They did also win their last home league match 5-0.

Ok, they are not world beaters, but an away win is an away win.

UTS

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Ince makes team of the week.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 44,00.html

Did he have that much to do ?

ws3
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Duke wrote:Ince makes team of the week.

http://www.saddlers.co.uk/page/News/0,, ... 44,00.html

Did he have that much to do ?

No, can't think of anything.

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:24 pm

He kept a clean sheet. :idea:

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:48 pm

clawtheolder wrote:He kept a clean sheet. :idea:

No he didn’t he splashed out on the bed sheets whilst pleasuring himself in the morning. :roll:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:12 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:

No he didn’t he splashed out on the bed sheets whilst pleasuring himself in the morning. :roll:

Did he have a flap at that as well :wink: ?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:28 am

BathSaddler wrote:
Dynamo Zuffle wrote:

Did he have a flap at that as well :wink: ?

Nah - choked it as usual and blamed the bloke in front of him. :|

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season