Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) F A Cup 1st Round Saturday 8/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
adjisaddler
Glitterati

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) F A Cup 1st Round Saturday 8/11/08.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:21 pm

Stu wrote:Crowd confirmed on the match report of the Scunthorpe Sports Telegraph. 2,318 with approx 350 visiting fans.

That means less than 2,000 Saddlers. But Mick Kearns view is that its because ST holders have to pay for tickets, lol... This club is rotting from the inside at the moment.

yep as i said in a previous post .. no good

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:23 pm

Yup. Walsall is dead.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:23 pm

It wasnt even a quick death, it was a slow, painful death by torture.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:26 pm

ok my friends ... iv been first with the news all afternoon but im signing off now to have a rest .. but ill be back later .

Bye for now

Adj

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:28 pm

I have never come away from a game so utterly depressed and totally miserable.
The club is dying , there is no heart and soul there - the attendance was awful but the apathy in the air was palpable.
God even the music played at half time made me want to slash my wrists!!!

On the footballing side ( sorry i meant Hoof side) we deserved what we got.
Trouble is Ishy will take all the headlines and give Mullen an excuse but we were clueless.
Yes Scunthorpe were the better team, but we were just devoid of ideas and inspiration.
We have no leaders out there - no one with heart and soul and a manager who Im convinced maybe a very nice man and kind to animals but hasnt got a clue .

Its needs a change and quickly - make no mistake i sat through this drivel and we will be in a relegation battle by xmas.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:30 pm

Bet the stayaways are kicking themselves now :mrgreen:

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:31 pm

adjisaddler wrote:
Stu wrote:Crowd confirmed on the match report of the Scunthorpe Sports Telegraph. 2,318 with approx 350 visiting fans.

That means less than 2,000 Saddlers. But Mick Kearns view is that its because ST holders have to pay for tickets, lol... This club is rotting from the inside at the moment.

yep as i said in a previous post .. no good

Well after witnessing Tuesday's night debacle, there was no way I was going today. As somebody has said above we have now lost 6 times at home this season and it is November 8th. Have to hope the manager does not survive the weekend and somebody is brought in who can organise and motivate - and at least play people in their correct positions.

And I am sorry Ishy but I think you have just blown your last chance.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:33 pm

I didnt see Ishy touch the ball in the 8 minutes or so he was on and he got sent off for what looked to me like a raised elbow as someone was pulling his shirt off the ball.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Louise wrote:I have never come away from a game so utterly depressed and totally miserable.
The club is dying , there is no heart and soul there - the attendance was awful but the apathy in the air was palpable.
God even the music played at half time made me want to slash my wrists!!!

On the footballing side ( sorry i meant Hoof side) we deserved what we got.
Trouble is Ishy will take all the headlines and give Mullen an excuse but we were clueless.
Yes Scunthorpe were the better team, but we were just devoid of ideas and inspiration.
We have no leaders out there - no one with heart and soul and a manager who Im convinced maybe a very nice man and kind to animals but hasnt got a clue .

Its needs a change and quickly - make no mistake i sat through this drivel and we will be in a relegation battle by xmas.

That's because the manager's either frozen them out (Weston, now Boertien) or demoralized them to the point that they won't help him (Gerrard).

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:36 pm

For the first time in my memory, my old man refused to go to a home game today despite not having a reason. Only time he misses a home match is if he is on holiday, but after Tuesday he refused to go, exact words were "I'm taking my blind faith back"...

I don't see JWB sacking Mullen, instead I expect a broadside at the players from the Chairman first.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:40 pm

2,318 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I HOPE YOURE HAPPY BONSER. CLUELESS IDIOT.

Ok it was against a team top of this league but its the way we are peforming that concerns me.

Can the last one out of Banks's turn the light off please

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:45 pm

It was just dismal.

Mullen should rip up ASBO's contract and kick him out of the Club tonight.

Bonser should rip up Mullen's contract and kick him out of the Club tomorrow.

Unfortunately no-one can rip up Bonser's contract.

I heard Tinned's dulcet tones walking down the stairs of the F2G saying that the Club is rotten from the top to the bottom. He's spot on. Time for a change at every level.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:48 pm

The wind of change is with us...see Barack Obama! :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:55 pm

adjisaddler wrote:yep Geoff absolutley genuine mate i promise you

Adj

Indeed, as I have seen elsewhere by now.

If JB fails to act on this obvious stay-away by the fans, he must be as thick as two short planks!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:07 pm

I was going to go today until I heard the team. How Palmer didnt get dropped after Tuesday night, yet Boertien (arguably the best performer against Luton) got dropped I do not know.

I listened to WM for the team, I heard it and no Weston, Palmer still in, Boertien dropped, Deeney still in, no Reich. So I kept my money in my pocket.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:13 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
adjisaddler wrote:yep Geoff absolutley genuine mate i promise you

Adj

Indeed, as I have seen elsewhere by now.

If JB fails to act on this obvious stay-away by the fans, he must be as thick as two short planks!

I completely agree with you geoff, but just to play devil's advocate for a minute: Brighton had 2,500 today against Hartlepool, Leeds only 9,500 last night, both less than 50% of their average. The point is, we are not on our own in this in terms of todays FA Cup crowds, although I did expect the gate to scrap 3,000.

That said, our overall league average is down much more than other clubs in the division, and that is the main concern.

womblesaddler

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Its in the wrong hands, its in the wrong haaaaaands, walsall football club is in the wrong hands
get out of our club, get out of our cluuuuub, you robbing barsteward get out of our club

to the tune of there's only one ronaldo (man u) or we have won it 5 time (scousepool)

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:37 pm

Never have I read a more depressed reaction to a game on here...including the night we lost to Colchester 5 and the 5-0 defeat at Brentford at the height of the Merson protests. I fail to see any future for the club at the minute. It is tumbling towards nothingness - 2158 fans is disgusting. If we say that there were 1800 Walsall fans there, and if we say there are 250,000 people in the borough, that is 0.72% of all Walsall people who are inspired to go to a game in the first round of the oldest, most romantic competition that we are in. Something must change before this club fails.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Never have I read a more depressed reaction to a game on here...including the night we lost to Colchester 5 and the 5-0 defeat at Brentford at the height of the Merson protests. I fail to see any future for the club at the minute. It is tumbling towards nothingness - 2158 fans is disgusting. If we say that there were 1800 Walsall fans there, and if we say there are 250,000 people in the borough, that is 0.72% of all Walsall people who are inspired to go to a game in the first round of the oldest, most romantic competition that we are in. Something must change before this club fails.

Jeff Bonsers resignation and all that goes with it ? New manager? ;)

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Jimmy Mullen has just said: '"The difference between the two teams, for me, was that they took their chances and we didn't take ours.'

Is this really the only difference betwen us and Scunthorpe? :? Or is he living in cloud cuckoo land?

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:49 pm

This isn't about money and it's not about the fans. It's about ablity and responsibility now.

We've got a manager who is clueless and the players know it. He just hasn't got it. If we let him continue to put demoralised, clueless players on the pitch for the coming weeks, we'll be in a completely unnecessary relegation battle.
Today was his chance to put any grudges with players behind him, put negative (or non existent) tactics behind him and restore some faith by at least giving us the possibility of a decent cup run. It just didn't happen and nobody on here is surprised.

I didn't go today. As Stu said about his dad, it was the first weekend I can remember where we were at home, I had no other commitments and had the money, but chose with my own free will not to go. And I don't regret it one bit.
I'm one of the least fickle football fans you're likely to find. If the club start losing people like me, they'll be right in the mire before long. If I'm honest, that won't happen because I could never support anyone else and love football too much. But the majority of people out there aren't like that.

As I said in the week, I seriously think there's only one semi-realistic option Bonser has available to him if he wants to not only attempt to stop the rot on the pitch but also off it. He can call David Kelly and get him to manage the team. Any other option only contains the mere hope that our on the field fortunes change for the better. One thing's for sure though - Mullen must go.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:00 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:Never have I read a more depressed reaction to a game on here...including the night we lost to Colchester 5 and the 5-0 defeat at Brentford at the height of the Merson protests. I fail to see any future for the club at the minute. It is tumbling towards nothingness - 2158 fans is disgusting. If we say that there were 1800 Walsall fans there, and if we say there are 250,000 people in the borough, that is 0.72% of all Walsall people who are inspired to go to a game in the first round of the oldest, most romantic competition that we are in. Something must change before this club fails.

Jeff Bonsers resignation and all that goes with it ? New manager? ;)

Whilst that is probably the answer, unfortunately unless you've got 6m-8m in your back pocket (and I'm guessing figures there) then you've got no answer.

Somehow, we've got to get past the Bonser thing because I still think he'll be here in 2/3 years time.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:02 pm

Retirement can't come soon enough for poor old Jeff. It's all very well keeping the club on life support until his pension pot matures but if the patient goes into cardiac arrest things start getting complicated. For instance, in the 'current climate' who would pay £Xm for a club that isn't actually a viable business? And how's he going to get top dollar for Our Antnee in January if we keep shipping three goals a game?

Good job he's a brilliant businessman - I wouldn't have a clue how to get out of this mess beyond the obvious P45 for the hapless Mr Mullen. And I think we all know that our problems run a lot deeper than that.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:42 pm

I have seen some dross produced by the Walsall teams over the year but this takes the biscuit it was gutless, clueless and abysmal. I can take losing if we put the effort in but we didn’t give two hoots today. It is plainly obvious that the players do not want to play for Mullen. If he has any bottle he should just walk away now whilst he can keep what is left of his dignity.

He is devoid of ideas and playing his players out of position and to be honest I think he doesn’t even realise what he is doing. If it wasn’t for the fact that I have a season ticket I wouldn’t bother going back down to Bescot whilst he is still in charge of the team it’s the Paul Meson train wreck all over again.

Act now Bonser whilst we still have a chance of salvaging our season you were ruthless with Hibbett (sp)much earlier in the season when you got rid of him. But just think how much worse we would have been if one of the inferior candidate had been given the job of Jimmy Mullen?

As for our hero and saviour on the wing Issy he should be show the door tonight I don’t care if he has been abused there is no place in football for what he did. It is now obvious that he will not make it as a pro footballer as he is too easy to wind up. He should let his football do the talking not his fists!!!! This isn’t the first time this season that he has gone for a player and I fear it sadly won’t be the last time he does this.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:42 pm

I didnt think i'd be saying this, but i wont be attending a home Walsall FC football again until Jeff Bonser is a man in the history blogs of the club. Scunny brought 340 in the league & it was at least double that today they had a good quarter of the family stand and not a single seat was empty, 500 +.

As for the game, hughes was incredible and i mean incredible poor, palmer crud,roberts had his worst game ever ,luckily there striker hayes is it? missed an absolute sitter in the first half, gerrard lost the plot for the first time in a very long time, taundry battled was is just awful & troy deeney needs chucking out of this football club permanently, all heart NO class, NO skill, NO chance of becoming anything, wouldn't cut it in the conference for me. The defence was absolutely awful, & i mean merson style awful. Zaaboub is slow,overweight & over-rated. Did nothing, didnt beat a man, barely crossed a ball, get rid now. However & its not very often i say this but MIchael ricketts was brillant this afternoon, running ,chasing,heading,outmuscling,crossing FANTASTIC! his best performance since he's been back at the club, probably better than any game last season as well. He must really enjoy the role of captain , i noticed when the 2nd goal went in, ricketts was pulling everyone into the centre circle rallying them, giving directions, brillant if he plays like that every week with the captaincy give it him every game possible. The idiots that booed him were exactly that IDIOTS!. Jabo worked hard as always but the ball just hasnt stuck to him recently.
Mattis was the other positive, put himself around, got into our box lots more this week, hopefully the same from him to come.

Mullen's selection ,tactics and team talks are simply awful, the defence is awful, hughes is awful, deeney, taundry,palmer,roberts AWFUL!.

Nicholls and ishy , who by the way is the biggest clown ever to play for this club & for me could be sacked off right now! should have started or at least come on earlier, rhys weston is a fantastic player at this level and must be wondering what the hell he is wasting away his career at a poor league one teams bench everyweek. I noticed clayton getting very,very,very dis-stressed today, almost like he couldn't believe how poor we were. Confidence is dwindling fast, we need loans, we need them now.

Sack off zaaboub,hughes,taundry,deeney,palmer permanently for me.

This club is going down under Mullen and im not sure we can stop that anymore!.

Weston,boertien,reich,nicholls in for me next week.

I'll be at colchester next saturday come 3pm, i dont dare to imagine the calibur of the away following, i wont be setting foot into the bank's stadium again until Jeff bonser says goodbye permanently.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:07 pm

i know what you mean .. even though bonser has done alot for the club .. he seems to have taken them as far as he can and maybe it is time to go

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:I was going to go today until I heard the team. How Palmer didnt get dropped after Tuesday night, yet Boertien (arguably the best performer against Luton) got dropped I do not know.

I listened to WM for the team, I heard it and no Weston, Palmer still in, Boertien dropped, Deeney still in, no Reich. So I kept my money in my pocket.

That's me too. If you live close enough to the stadium, you can do these things. I pity the poor sods who had already driven 100+ miles to hear of Boertien replaced at left back by Palmer.

Griff

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:42 pm

First time post so be gentle..

I'd sum up today's display with the following words.. Lack of direction.

Every time Scunthorpe got the ball their heads looked up and they played positively with a sense of purpose. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Walsall. Rickets took his goal well but the build up was luck more than anything else.

Palmer must have had five corners and it was only the last one he took where the ball got passed the first defender. Roberts made one decent and committed header that I can recall with all the rest going straight to opposition. Deeney seemed allergic to moving faster than a slow jog and Zaaboub had a match to forget.

As for Ishmel he did manage to touch the ball before being sent off.. Once.. And that was backwards towards our own half.

Oh and don't forget there's highlights on ITV tonight at 10.35pm.

tinned
Site Addict

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Are you reading Bonser????? That is a disgrace and it's ALL YOUR DOING. You should hang your head in shame for how you've ripped the heart and soul out of this club, but I doubt you even care, nothing that a few million quid won't put right eh?

I notice the attendance figure wasn't put up on the board with 5 or 10 minutes to go like normal. Don't like sharing news that puts you in a bad light do you WFC?

I can't talk about the match, it was just one massive embarrassingly, clueless and unmotivated disaster. Mullen shouldn't be sacked, he should'ce walked already if he's got one iota of self-respect.

I've backed Ishy from start to finish and called for more chances. If he has hit out at the player (and he never complained about the decision) then he should be sacked, no questions asked. Even for me that's it, last chance long gone. Goodbye.

This club is dying and it's not slowly. I really fear if we can ever get back the passion and togetherness that was once in such plentiful supply at Walsall.

Anyone for AFC Walsall?

:(

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I was going to go today until I heard the team. How Palmer didnt get dropped after Tuesday night, yet Boertien (arguably the best performer against Luton) got dropped I do not know.

That's me too. If you live close enough to the stadium, you can do these things. I pity the poor sods who had already driven 100+ miles to hear of Boertien replaced at left back by Palmer.

No chance I was going to risk that - hence the non-attendance. The decision was made easier after driving 100+ miles the other week to hear that nobody at the club could be bothered to sweep the snow off the pitch and get the braziers on it.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season