Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Scunthorpe United (H) F A Cup 1st Round Saturday 8/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Lone Striker

Re: Scunthorpe United (H) F A Cup 1st Round Saturday 8/11/08.

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:16 pm

After observing this messageboard for a couple of years and for various reasons not contributing, this weeks events have angered me to the point of posting my first thread. I am in my 41st year of following the club that I love and have suffered some great and memorable moments, as well as some low points, as we all have. I have strong views about how the club is run off the pitch and how we fail to maximise a whole range of commercial opportunities, however, this being a match thread I will stick to my views on match views. We arguably have a stronger squad than last year, the problem is that our manager continually selects poorly from the squad in terms of players and positions. I would certainly like to get his reasons for having two of the best fullbacks in league one sitting on the bench today, why he continually fails to see the weakness in both the wide positions, and why certain players appear to be picked irrespective of how they performed in previous games.

I made the decision to attend both the games this week and after Tuesday fully expected to see at least four changes in today's team, how wrong I was. We had no method in either game hoofing long balls down the middle of the pitch in both games. Our central midfield appears ineffective as due to the lack of quality in wide areas the only option they have is also to play through the middle, as anybody who knows about defending this is the easiest position to defend as proved in both games this week, improving our quality in these positions would also bring out the best in Hughes and Mattis. If we have not got the quality in the squad go out and use the loan market to improve the options.

Mullen is on borrowed time and if he has any degree of common sense he will make some sensible decisions about team selection for next week starting by playing Weston and Boertein by being big enough to put personality clashes aside, our squad is not big enough for this management style. These are good solid defenders who have footballing ability and are far better than the alternatives that I have witnessed this season so far.

I could go on and have calmed down over the past few hours, next week could be a defining time for our club, lets hope the people responsible make the right decisions.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:35 pm

As I posted on FF

Gerrard, who does he think he is? What gives him the right to abuse the fans of his own club? The sooner he has gone the better, even if it means that we play someone who isn't as good as hime a centre half! He has his head shoved up his arse so far it is unbelievable. He was quality when playing alongside Dann, but since Dann left he has been nothing more than average. I would be happy if I never saw him in a Walsall shirt ever again.

Clayton Ince was superb today, he was my MOTM. Pulled off several good saves, caught everything in the air and stopped several one-on-ones.

Also I thought Alex Nicholls played well when he came on. He gave us much needed width. He would have seen more of the ball if Ishy hadn't have been sent off.

Mullen got the tactics all wrong again today. Dropped Boers, who was one of our best players on tuesday, for Zaaboub who is lacking match sharpness. Once again we had no width with a striker and a unfit player for wingers.

One final thing to add, is that I'd drop Mattis. His attitude stinks. He hasn't had a good game for a while and he realy frustrates me. He blames his mistakes on other people. Today his body language was all wrong. He didn't want to be playing and his negative energy spread throughout the team. I'd give Bradders or Taundry a go in his place.

Barbecue Hula Hoops

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:49 pm

AFC Walsall - I like the sound of that...

motty
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:53 pm

Barbecue Hula Hoops wrote:AFC Walsall - I like the sound of that...

i second that emotion :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:40 am

Excellent post, Lone Striker - and welcome to the board.

Nice to see our attendance up! :wink:

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:26 am

The way things are going, this board will have a bigger attendance than the Banks's's's's's - until Muddle goes anyway.

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:17 pm

Mullen isnt going.

All parties have nice cosy ready made excuses. Attendence? Bah, Brighton and Leeds were down. Poor performance? Well, Ishy was sent off thats why we lost, and doesnt that justify Mullens decisions for the next month.

Turkeys dont vote for christmas, and chairmen dont vote for the bullet for nice cosy 'yes-man' managers

yoda
Site Addict

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:28 pm

Out of interest, were there any 'Mullen Out' chants today?

I was suprised there were none on tuesday

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:29 pm

yoda wrote:Mullen isnt going.

All parties have nice cosy ready made excuses. Attendence? Bah, Brighton and Leeds were down. Poor performance? Well, Ishy was sent off thats why we lost, and doesnt that justify Mullens decisions for the next month.

Turkeys dont vote for christmas, and chairmen dont vote for the bullet for nice cosy 'yes-man' managers

But...

This is financial suicide for Bonser. By keeping Mullen in the job, he going to see attendances drop and players ostrecised.

It would actually be financially beneficial to Bonser and the club to sack Mullen and appoint David Kelly.

Two cup games in a week and fans have voted with their feet. If they dont see that their opinions are being heard, then they wont be back.

Act now Bonser
Last edited by philthesaddler on Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:53 pm

I mentioned the Leeds and Brighton attendances, and it is certainly true that there were appalling crowds at a lot of places yesterday. However, the fact that there was under 2,000 home fans for a Saturday cuptie is a shocker. I'd be surprised if there has ever been that level of 'home' support for any Saturday match in our history at Bescot. There was 2,024 for a League cup tie in early 90's and a home match against Maidstone [2,045] but both were on a Tuesday night.

A number of JPT matches over the years have been lower, but all were in midweek, and I don't think you can compare that competition with the others, not even the League Cup.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:45 pm

Isn't that what yes-men are for? When the going gets tough the top guy attaches all the blame to the yes-man, boots him out and buys himself a bit of time.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:26 am

there can be no doubt now Mullen has lost the dressing room , losing games i can except but not performances or should
i say lack of performances that we are now seeing.
Once again we are left totally confused by team selection and tactics

Message to Mr Bonser , you got us into this mess you get us out of it.

Mullen out now !!!

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:02 am

philthesaddler wrote:It would actually be financially beneficial to Bonser and the club to sack Mullen and appoint David Kelly.

Unfortunately we're 3 months too late, that won't happen even if Mullen is sacked now.

For starters, I'm assuming Bond's veiled criticism of a manager who wanted his own assistant, physio, scouts and youth team coaches was aimed at Kelly. Secondly, I gather he is soon about to emigrate to Down Under.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:34 pm

We're stuffed. That attendance figure is truly shocking. There has to be action on Ishy today - he must be shown the door. I'd be surprised to see Mullen go now, but he is living in borrowed time, and needs to go. Those who have read my general views on this matter for some time will note the significance when I say that I now don't know whether I can be bothered to go again either. Watching the car crash and paying £18 for the privilege is not something I relish. This is the worst state the club has been in for 25 years, and that includes the dark days when we dropped into the 4th Div when we moved to the Bescot, had no money, and league survival was all we had to cling to. Even then we had players who wanted to play for us and showed some passion, a manager who had at least some respect, and a common purpose on the terraces. Now its like watching a much loved relative die from an incurable disease, sitting by the bedside and waiting for the inevitable - the feeling of knowing we can't do anything but watch is awful. I really hope the alarms are sounding throughout the Banks's today, and that action is being taken.

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:41 pm

fensaddler wrote:We're stuffed. That attendance figure is truly shocking. There has to be action on Ishy today - he must be shown the door. I'd be surprised to see Mullen go now, but he is living in borrowed time, and needs to go. Those who have read my general views on this matter for some time will note the significance when I say that I now don't know whether I can be bothered to go again either. Watching the car crash and paying £18 for the privilege is not something I relish. This is the worst state the club has been in for 25 years, and that includes the dark days when we dropped into the 4th Div when we moved to the Bescot, had no money, and league survival was all we had to cling to. Even then we had players who wanted to play for us and showed some passion, a manager who had at least some respect, and a common purpose on the terraces. Now its like watching a much loved relative die from an incurable disease, sitting by the bedside and waiting for the inevitable - the feeling of knowing we can't do anything but watch is awful. I really hope the alarms are sounding throughout the Banks's today, and that action is being taken.

Yes, but apart from that things are not really that bad. :)

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:47 pm

fensaddler wrote:We're stuffed. That attendance figure is truly shocking. There has to be action on Ishy today - he must be shown the door. I'd be surprised to see Mullen go now, but he is living in borrowed time, and needs to go. Those who have read my general views on this matter for some time will note the significance when I say that I now don't know whether I can be bothered to go again either. Watching the car crash and paying £18 for the privilege is not something I relish. This is the worst state the club has been in for 25 years, and that includes the dark days when we dropped into the 4th Div when we moved to the Bescot, had no money, and league survival was all we had to cling to. Even then we had players who wanted to play for us and showed some passion, a manager who had at least some respect, and a common purpose on the terraces. Now its like watching a much loved relative die from an incurable disease, sitting by the bedside and waiting for the inevitable - the feeling of knowing we can't do anything but watch is awful. I really hope the alarms are sounding throughout the Banks's today, and that action is being taken.

Some people could hear the alarms ringing months ago. I suppose some of us have better hearing than others :wink:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm

tinned wrote:

Some people could hear the alarms ringing months ago. I suppose some of us have better hearing than others :wink:

I agree!

caldy
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:46 pm

This thread has had more views than fans turned up on Saturday. Surely this says something!!! Just read E&S clueless has blamed the fact that we have had 3 home games in a week for the attendance, not the fact that his team selection was dire. I heard the team announced on WM whilst on the way to the game, had I not already had my tickets I would have turned round and saved my money because with the team selection the outcome was inevitable. Some people have posted on here saying Palmer is possibly the worst player ever in a Walsall shirt, I think the award must go to Roberts, what a donkey. I hope he forgets that display and plays as we know he can.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 am

caldy wrote:This thread has had more views than fans turned up on Saturday. Surely this says something!!! Just read E&S clueless has blamed the fact that we have had 3 home games in a week for the attendance, not the fact that his team selection was dire. I heard the team announced on WM whilst on the way to the game, had I not already had my tickets I would have turned round and saved my money because with the team selection the outcome was inevitable. Some people have posted on here saying Palmer is possibly the worst player ever in a Walsall shirt, I think the award must go to Roberts, what a donkey. I hope he forgets that display and plays as we know he can.

I had my jacket on ready to go to the game, heard the line up and stayed in.

I'm not paying to see another Chris Palmer performance like the other day.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:21 am

caldy wrote:Just read E&S clueless has blamed the fact that we have had 3 home games in a week for the attendance.

You are joking! What has happened for the rest of the season then? Honestly the Excrete & Stir are a bunch of spineless, lazy, useless.....(insert profanity of your choice here)!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:46 pm

PJD wrote:
caldy wrote:Just read E&S clueless has blamed the fact that we have had 3 home games in a week for the attendance.

You are joking! What has happened for the rest of the season then? Honestly the Excrete & Stir are a bunch of spineless, lazy, useless.....(insert profanity of your choice here)!

Latest headline in the E&S:

"Bonser blames 46 games in a year for poor attendances"

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:39 pm

Phil, the only way to reduce that number is to get to the Premier League. :D

Or go bust. :(

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:17 pm

Well we just got to accet we're out the cup and there nothing we can do about it .We have to move on and just prey we get a win or atleast a draw on saturday

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season