Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Luton Town (H) J P Trophy 3rd Round Tuesday 4/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Luton Town (H) J P Trophy 3rd Round Tuesday 4/11/08.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:03 am

I agree, Stu. And your Dad called it right last night. We were dross.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:27 pm

He waves though, so its all good!

:D :D :D

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Mullen has been "found out". It's nothing to do with wether the players like him or not. Many of the Graydon team didn't get on with him and didn't like to "regime", but, they all still speak well of him, and respect the way he went about things. One of the main reasons was that he could point to what he had achieved in the game... same with Chris Nichol. JM was always going to be a poor appointment, he almost had me going a few weeks ago as we were playing some nice passing football. Why has he changed that... or has he? I suspect he has lost the dressing room, and the players know how to get him the boot! That's not a good thing, they should be doing their best, but it is down to JM to get them back on side - or do one!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Mullen has been "found out". It's nothing to do with wether the players like him or not. Many of the Graydon team didn't get on with him and didn't like to "regime", but, they all still speak well of him, and respect the way he went about things. One of the main reasons was that he could point to what he had achieved in the game... same with Chris Nichol. JM was always going to be a poor appointment, he almost had me going a few weeks ago as we were playing some nice passing football. Why has he changed that... or has he? I suspect he has lost the dressing room, and the players know how to get him the boot! That's not a good thing, they should be doing their best, but it is down to JM to get them back on side - or do one!

Personally I think it has got a lot to do with respect.

The players may not have liked Graydon, but my god, if they crossed him they were out the door. They had respect for him and he got results.

Mullen on the other hand, well, lets just say, we knew certain players didnt like him back in May didn't we?

The way we play says a lot about the respect the players have for the manager, they aint trying, they aint going in for challenges. They're going through the motions. Like Neil said the other day, the past few performances have been "get the manager sacked" performances.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:24 pm

I get the vibes of a hint of unhappiness with JM.

MOSOC

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:39 pm

Another late goal too. Once again suggests that fitness is a serious issue - as it has been since pre-season when it was obvious to everyone that we weren't going about our preparations in a remotely professional manner. So far this season we've conceded goals in the last 20 minutes in the following games:

Southend (won 5-2) - no cost
Orient x2 (lost 2-0) - one point lost
Briston Rovers (won 3-1) - no cost
Carlisle (won 2-1) - no cost
Hartlepool x3 (lost 3-2) - three points lost
Leicester (drew 2-2) - one point lost
Leeds (lost 3-0) - no cost
Northampton (won 3-1) - no cost
Luton (lost 1-0) - out of cup

That's 12 of the 25 goals that we've conceded (ie 48%), costing us five points (points that would put us in 7th place) and the chance of a trip to Wembley. Add to that the sloppy goals we've conceded at the start of four or five other games this season and the lack of preparation is clear to see.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm still stunned at what we saw last night. So close to Wembley and with a much harder job of winning at Cheltenham already in the bag, we serve up that shocker.

I'm struggling to think of one good point, but nowt is springing to mind.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Pathetic performance from the players and a pathetic manager. I went to the game and i feel jusitified in why i dont go anymore and uts wonder why i dont go.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 pm

big baz 1 wrote:Pathetic performance from the players and a pathetic manager. I went to the game and i feel jusitified in why i dont go anymore and uts wonder why i dont go.

You said that you don't go because JB takes £375k out of the club each year and that your non-attendance had nothing to do with performances. So, how does going, putting money into JB's pocket and seeing a poor performance justify not having gone for the rest of the season?

:? :? :?

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:06 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:Pathetic performance from the players and a pathetic manager. I went to the game and i feel jusitified in why i dont go anymore and uts wonder why i dont go.

You said that you don't go because JB takes £375k out of the club each year and that your non-attendance had nothing to do with performances. So, how does going, putting money into JB's pocket and seeing a poor performance justify not having gone for the rest of the season?

:? :? :?

I will tell u i have always have said like you correctly pointed out for the main reason for my non attendance is the chairman. It is only the main reason and a have a few side issues that are also reasons for me not going performances being of them. I only went last night because i was offered a free ticket and was expecting not a great performance but something maybe to reignite my passion for watching walsall fc home and away well it never happened. What i saw was despite wembley being a very realsitic prospect for the team was the worst performance i have seen from a walsall team during my time as a super saddler. Yes worse that the away hammerings under paul merson.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:48 am

the warning signs were there weeks ago , he's clearly lost the dressing room if he had it in the first place.

MULLEN OUT

Harlequin

Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:50 am

No we don't.... :P

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:52 pm

At least Ropes enjoyed the night .

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 85,00.html

Hope Luton make it to Wembley if only for Ian's sake..

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Harlequin wrote:

No we don't.... :P

To be fair, I'm not sure :wink:

Something to do with Bonser ay it? I ay gooin again til he's gone!! :twisted:

Anyway, I thought he had a shocking game on Tuesday. He's clearly not a right winger. Play him in his proper position.

Is that it?

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season