Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Luton Town (H) J P Trophy 3rd Round Tuesday 4/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: Luton Town (H) J P Trophy 3rd Round Tuesday 4/11/08.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:46 pm

Duke wrote:over to you Mr Bonser

Don't make the same mistake you made with Merson , you appointed Mullen get rid now .

I actually think he will get rid much quicker, he was in love with Merscum, sacking Mullen will probably buy him some breathing space from the wrath of the fans too

he wont last much longer

I await the roll of the dice

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Just spoke to my brother. heard the boos as I was on the phone

He said we were dreadful, long ball, no tactics again

The bottom line is that this bloke does not know what he is doing

Thats no way to speak about your brother :lol:

:lol:

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:48 pm

Mullen has to change it big time for Saturday - although according to Mick Kearns on the radio we lost cos Taundry wasnt in midfield!
We lost cos apart from Clayton they were a shambles - Mullen seriously needs to look at his decisions and admit he needs to look at his selection and tactics.
Total surrender to the team at the bottom of the league :oops:
Well done Mick Harford - can you explain to our manager what the word tactics means.

Delves Saddler

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:49 pm

Well I'm glad I stayed in to get on with my college work, that sounded disgraceful, if Ish, Weston and Reich don't start saturday, I'm afraid he has to go. We can't afford to have amanager who can't see the quality infront of him and play favourites. At the end of the day, our club is not his toy.

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Goo On Mary!!!!

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:56 pm

Duke wrote:over to you Mr Bonser

Don't make the same mistake you made with Merson , you appointed Mullen get rid now .

Best man for the job?

Yeah, right.

I bet Rhys Weston and Ishy are feelin good right now. :(

I'm off work on Saturday and had considered going to the Scunthorpe game. Not now.

I'm also having trouble getting the day off on Saturday week for the trip to Colchester - might not bother going to the trouble of trying to get a swap now.......and I love my away games.

I even agree with Tony Butler tonight ffs!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Mary was a bit of a legend!
Cant someone say MULLEN OUT! Over the phone!
Its pathetic.
Ive backed Ricketts all the time but hes useless. Hes too lazy, he shouldnt even be getting paid for his shoddy performances!

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm

I said from day one that signing Ricketts was a mistake. I said Mullen as manager would backfire. I said that Bonser was up to his old tricks again and getting away with it, as there were still loads of fans defending his decisions.

Does anybody realise that potentially, we are on the slippery slope, and in danger of dropping back to the really bad times when we struggled in division four with very low crowds?

Bonser has got away with his blatant disregard for the football side of this club, and thankfully, its all starting to come back to bite him on the bum. Yes we have debts, but thats down to Bonser. Yes we dont want to spend money we dont have, but the fact is, we DO HAVE MONEY, we just only spend fractions of it, and even then, its on the wrong players and manager.

How can a club with such a "wonderful" commercial money making side, not compete to a higher level?

I really fear for the future of our club. There are so many fans that are just giving up, and quite frankly, i dont blame them

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:19 pm

Shocking lack of pride and passion shown by the players that was matched only by the tactical incompetence of Mullen and Schofield.

Its clear that half the side don't want to play for Mullen and the other half are just incapable even if they want to play.

Mullen out........................John Ward in.

SWS1

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:22 pm

OH - MY - GOD!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Cannock
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:24 pm

I'm feeling quite glad that i've given up the bug. Cheers Jeef. You're saving me a hell of a lot of dosh in these needy times. Good work fellah!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Shocking lack of pride and passion shown by the players that was matched only by the tactical incompetence of Mullen and Schofield.

Its clear that half the side don't want to play for Mullen and the other half are just incapable even if they want to play.

Mullen out........................John Ward in.

My thoughts exactly after having to endure 90mins of that utter tripe, and to rub salt into the wounds I had to endure 90 mins of Tinned as well :mrgreen:

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:26 pm

if it wasn't for ince they might have had 5 or 6 tonight

palmer is a 1 trick pony (the trick is to a) boot it or b) try and cross it) he doesn't retain the ball, doesn't try to beat his man, doesn't look to play it short, shoking, can't keep him in the team just incase he puts a nice cross in every now and again

hughes had a poor game

gerrard having a pop at the fans, who does he think he is the jumped up idiot

ricketts, phaw!!!

mullen! CLOWN!!! the man hasn't got a clue, strikers as wingers, bradley, recih, western and asbo can't even get on the pitch.

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:27 pm

What an absoloute disgrace a 1-0 loss was flattering to say the least, Mullen out he is clueless does;nt know what hes doing weston and isy out of the squad again what a joke. WAKE UP WFC HE NEEDS TO GO UNLESS YOU WANT ANOTHER RELEGATION

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Two home cup defeats to League 2 opposition already. Thanks for the mediocrity Messrs Mullen and Bonser.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Dire, dire ,dire!!!!!!!!!!
In 18 years of watching walsall, never have i watched such one dimensional, tactically inept CRAP!.
Taundry, deeney, palmer, get rid NOW!
We're playing long hoof ball to jabo and completely missing the midfield, which means mattis and hughes just run around like idiots, in the pre season mattis looked brillant becase we hadn't started playing hoof ball and completely missing him out.
Im so frustrated ,annoyed and angry i cant explain.
I like the man that is JM ,but his footballing brain, knowledge and tactics are god darn lacking to say the least!

Rhys weston is a must, nicholls, ishy,reich or zaaboub are a must. Palmer does nothing other than cross the football or take set pieces, deeney tries but doesn't cut anywhere near what he should be, taundry might be decent in a few years, but until then NO way!.

Saturday is huge, mullen has a chance to re-deam himself with changes, different tactics, and a positive results, if not say adios to your job Mr mullen, because things are rapidly turning terminal!.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:35 pm

Id rather Merson than Mullen!!
John Ward in!
Lets just sack Mullen now before the fans have to suffer anymore shocking performances.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:36 pm

MULLEN OUT NOW!

I don't care what any jumped-up-happy-clappy-you-must-always-support-the-manager-no-matter-what brigade bleat on about, he's a disaster are all of his own. Has he got the slightest clue about organising and motivating a team? Does he have any idea of how to pck the best eleven players? Has he ven read a footballing manual about tactical substitutions?

Bonser, you made a big deal about going for the Championship this season. That is very unlikely already but if you had any truth in that statement then Mullen needs to go .... tomoorow morning, not "see what he does Saturday" or whatever ... NOW!

caldy
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Just got back. What a load of rubbish. I have tried to stay positive over the recent performances and I've even said Mullen should have more time. I have posted that it's not all that bad, that it's just a blip. Well enough is enough. MULLEN OUT. Does he even watch what is going on? Rhys Weston giving out awards to the kids at half time? I bet he must be peeing himself. Ok he doesn't want us to lose but I bet he is laughing at Mullen. The team do not want to play for him. We are down to 4 players every week trying and the rest couldn't give a toss. Mullen IMO has made some good players bad. You can even see it in Jabo now. He gets the ball sees he's got no support and gives up. Is it a tactic for the centre halves to be playmakers? Roberts and Gerrard hitting 50-60 yard balls, come on now and again but not all the time. The midfield in particular were completely static, no option to pass to etc... Going to bed a very angry fan. MULLEN OUT NOW!!! :oops: :oops: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

addo
UTS Veteran

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 pm

I think Palmer set some sort of record tonight for me

That's the biggest non-performance that I have seen form a Walsall player and not even considered to be substituted.

How come Boertien was taken off - who hardly wasted a ball all night - only for Palmer to be moved back there in his place.

We were playing with two "wingers" who cant beat a player & don't have any pace.
So why are they playing there ?
Supplementary fullbacks ?
There is so little creativity as there aren't players to pass to in decent positions

Taundry again - lots of running & effort - but sadly not savvy enough.

I have been patient and supportive so far this season, but if Weston is deemed not good enough for this team then my 35 years of watching Walsall have all been in vain, and I have learned nothing.
Last edited by addo on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:43 pm

Its no good saying it on here...
Was anything said at full time about Jimmy Mullen?
Or did people just clap and walk off..Or argue with Gerrard.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:47 pm

I booed tonight for the first time, 15 years of supporting walsall and have never booed the team. sack the clown

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:47 pm

That was my first game for over 6 weeks, and it proves that it was luck for the first few months under Mullen, but now the pressures on we are crud. I only had to pay for one game, I feel sorry for those that have had to pay to watch every game this season.

That performance tonight was up their with the Merson-esque we got use to.

Mullen is a nice bloke, but he has been out of football for far too long and really cant change a game. Whats the point in playing hoof ball to Ricketts and Jabo when Roper is playing? Surely someone would have told Mullen that Roper is a donkey on the floor, so why wasnt there any balls played to feet or a faster player uptop. Imagine Ishy one on one with Roper??!

Please Jeff, dont let us get in the same position we did under Merson. Get rid of Mullen NOW. DD got us moving forward, I dont want to be back in League 2 next year. Give John Ward the job and NOT SCHOFIELD.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:50 pm

Excellent. Now we're free from the distractions of this mickey mouse cup contest we can concentrate on the league.

It'll take all our efforts to avoid relegation.

caldy
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:52 pm

In a perfect world i want to wake up in the morning put the car radio on going into work with the news that Mullen has been sacked/resigned, I doubt it though. For my mind if he doesn't go before Saturday he is in football management's last chance saloon. He should make at least 4 changes. Ishy, Weston, Zaboob/Nicholls, Bradley in. Deeney, Hughes, Palmer (even though I have defended him after tonights performance he needs to be dropped) and Ricketts out. Ok I probably haven't hought it through as I am still seething after that shambles tonight but anything has got to be better than that rubbish tonight. The kids taking penalties at half time could have played better than that shower of crud. I wish there wasn't a swear filter!!!!

If on Saturday changes aren't made Mullen should go, if we lose Saturday badly, Mullen should go, if we see no improvement Mullen should go. So in short MULLEN OUT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS didn't see the Gerrard incident, what happened?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I'm interested in the calls for John Ward. I think you should listen to what the Carlisle fans think of him! It ain't nice! Rather like our fans' views on Mullen, in fact. :twisted:

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:56 pm

aidy boothroyd????? :?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:59 pm

PJD wrote:2 - 1 to Luton
1768 to attend

Well I wasn't too far away :(

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 pm

Look at stats on official site.

Possession
Walsall 44% Luton 56%

Shots at Goal
Walsall 8 Luton 19

Shots on target
Walsall 2 Luton 10

Says it all really.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:03 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I'm interested in the calls for John Ward. I think you should listen to what the Carlisle fans think of him! It ain't nice! Rather like our fans' views on Mullen, in fact. :twisted:

Exactly Ped. One man's decent manager is another's failure, I've said it before. There was NOTHING wrong with the appointment of Mr Mullen as manager, he had(has?) the potential to be a success.

That said, I am totally baffled as to why he has switched from successful tactics playing some very entertaining football earlier in the season to now playing only hoofball to the strikers who are not supported by anyone from midfield.

Very very glad I didn't go tonight...spent a lovely couple of hours over the Long Mynd instead. Less costly and guaranteed to put a smile on my face!

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season