Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (H) League 1 Saturday 1/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Bernie
UTS Legend

Re: Northampton Town (H) League 1 Saturday 1/11/08.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:46 pm

We won despite playing badly. Great to have won, but I hope that Jimmy Mullen does not take this win as a vindication of his selection and tactics. If he does then we are in trouble.

As for the rumour that the club is going bankrupt - it is probably just a rumour.

However it certainly could be true. I have not seen the latest accounts, but apparently they indicate that we owe a lot of money to banks which we have no prospect of ever paying back. We are in a credit crunch and banks know that if football clubs go bust then the footballing creditors get paid before they do. We have no prospect of trading at a profit any more. We have falling gates and no doubt the recession will affect the conference and entertainment business. We can only make money by selling players. Perhaps the bank does not think our current players are worth more than our debts - I wonder if they have seen us play lately.

If the banks were to refuse to extend our loans then WFC would be forced to come up with perhaps £2.5 million in cash or go bust. Does Bonser have that kind of cash lying around that he would be willing to put into the club? He knows that he would probably never be repaid until he sold the club. It is one thing for a very rich man to put lots of his own money into a football club, but I suspect that for Jeff Bonser £2.5 million is real money: he has told us that he is looking to take his existing loans back.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:11 pm

Does anyone know that yesterday WE WON 3-1. I thought there would have been more positive posts on here but it seems the whole thread is still negative. Yes we made hard work of it but even when they scored I could not see them scoring another. If they play like that week after week and win then I'll be a happy Saddler. I know we suffered from a less than average second half but we still scored in that half and it was an improvement on our recent showings. Taundry played well and so did Palmer. What have these two players done that is so bad they are slated by some week in week out?
That win will build confidence, something that every team needs.

The atmosphere at the ground yesterday was flat, I'm surprised as many people as they said attended, more must be done to get more people in the ground and therefore lift the place. Why can't the club put on free buses from the town centre or hand out discount vouchers in the town centre to get people there supporting their home team.

I am not one for club politics. I am neither anti or pro Bonser but something needs to be done to get more people at games. Do you think these rumours that were circulating yesterday may have been deliberatly started? A. The club have started the rumours to get people through the turnstiles because after all is said and done we all (stay aways and non stay aways) want the club to prosper. B.Certain people could have started the rumour to be malicious. I don't know either way or I know is

UP THE SADDLERS

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:18 pm

I have no idea how we managed to win that game we had no midfield at all yesterday and managed to score three goals one good one scrambled and one hit the head of our player and looped into the net.

As soon as they scored a goal panic set into the whole team and we just kept sitting deeper and deeper compounding our inability to keep hold of the ball.

A better team would have picked us off and we would have been looking at a draw or even worse a defeat.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:59 pm

caldy wrote:Why can't the club put on free buses from the town centre or hand out discount vouchers in the town centre to get people there supporting their home team.

You're joking aren't you? Many fans have offered idea's like those to the club for well over 10 years now. Trouble is they entail the club being pro-active and investing money, two area's they fail miserably in time after time.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:05 pm

tinned wrote:
caldy wrote:Why can't the club put on free buses from the town centre or hand out discount vouchers in the town centre to get people there supporting their home team.

You're joking aren't you? Many fans have offered idea's like those to the club for well over 10 years now. Trouble is they entail the club being pro-active and investing money, two area's they fail miserably in time after time.

Well I think they need to realise that they need to get pro active soon because if they don't there will be an empty stadium at the end of the season at this rate.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:07 pm

Stu wrote:I really do question anyone who thinks this squad, note I said squad, is capable of making the Play Offs. I really do not believe that based on our defending and lack of squad depth.

Tonight we sit where I thought we would, ambling around mid-table, and I fully expect us to be sitting here next May.

Gobsmacked to see Taundry at full-back, he struggled there last season. Regardless of what Jimmy Mullen says, he has clearly had a falling out with Weston and as for Ishmel, I feel sorry for the lad, he'll go on and make a career somewhere else with a manager who believes in him and lets him do what he does best with a run of games in the team.

Stu what I'm trying to say if we are lead by the right manager, it reminds me back to when Big Fat Jan was in charge, we had a hell of a team back then, but when led by the wrong man

Saddler-JJ

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:00 pm

just like to say incy dont get enuff credit but bar a few mistakes he was man of the match sat and made some vital saves which could of caused a completly diffrent score and is it me or did mullen tell the players to not close down id understand that if we were against a club which couldnt shoot !

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Saddler-JJ wrote:just like to say incy dont get enuff credit but bar a few mistakes he was man of the match sat and made some vital saves which could of caused a completly diffrent score and is it me or did mullen tell the players to not close down id understand that if we were against a club which couldnt shoot !

I think you're right. Ince did what we've come to expect from him and I think that's been somewhat over-shadowed (generally) by a poor second half display. Were it not for his 3 / 4 top drawer saves, we could've been staring down the barrel of another Hartlepool.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:50 pm

Saddler-JJ wrote:just like to say incy dont get enuff credit but bar a few mistakes he was man of the match sat and made some vital saves which could of caused a completly diffrent score and is it me or did mullen tell the players to not close down id understand that if we were against a club which couldnt shoot !

If we're honest, their shooting was pretty poor. Obviously that's not the point though - we backed off against Leeds and got done by two absolute screamers.
I don't think Mullen told the players not to close things down - if he had, we wouldn't have seen as many desperate blocks inside our own penalty area. I seriously think that Mullen tells the players nothing to do with tactics whatsoever before each game.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:18 am

Pretty much agree with WFC_Robs assessment of the game.

We were poor, could barely keep the ball - first half or second half.

If this was an away game we'd have got slaughtered. Only because we were at home and Northampton played with some trepidation did we get a foot in the door.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:29 am

Re-reading this thread, I noticed a lot of people praising Richard Taundry... err why?

The lads a trier, but I haven't seen one solid performance from him this season. He rarely keeps the ball, he's not quick and he's not tall.

Against Northampton he didnt win a single header. Not surprising really, thats what happens when you leave a 6ft 1 right back out of the squad, instead playing a midget there.

Like WFC_Rob - I dont rate Palmer. He scored a great goal, but apart from that he's very poor. He can't run with it, he's allergic to heading the ball, he hides from possession.

I thought Deeney was poor, people say he's a work horse because he tracks back, but look how many times he's caught out of position, or asleep.

The problem is that we're so poor at keeping the ball, we need players who will run around like headless chickens chasing after the ball - hence why Palmer, Taundry, Deeney and hate to say it Jabo are in the team. Those players will run all day after the ball, trouble is, when they get it at their feet, none of them have the skill to keep it, instead choosing to hoof it or play a hospital ball.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:38 am

philthesaddler wrote:Like WFC_Rob - I dont rate Palmer. He scored a great goal, but apart from that he's very poor. He can't run with it, he's allergic to heading the ball, he hides from possession

I agree, he is woeful

caldy
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:46 am

Palmer has been played out of position most of the season. He isn't doing that bad. We have had worse play for us. Weston played well LAST SEASON. When Weston has played which granted hasn't been often due to suspension and injury I thought he was poor. I think Palmer needs to play in his own position for a good run before we can properly judge him. If everybody else tried has hard as Taundry we would be a brilliant team.
Deeney on Saturday apart from his goal looked lost, will be ok in time but think he is more a squad player than regular first teamer.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:53 am

caldy wrote:Palmer has been played out of position most of the season. He isn't doing that bad. We have had worse play for us. Weston played well LAST SEASON. When Weston has played which granted hasn't been often due to suspension and injury I thought he was poor. I think Palmer needs to play in his own position for a good run before we can properly judge him. If everybody else tried has hard as Taundry we would be a brilliant team.
Deeney on Saturday apart from his goal looked lost, will be ok in time but think he is more a squad player than regular first teamer.

Actually, he's been played out of position all season, as he said himself that he's a right winger. Strangely enough, that's the one position the wierdo in charge won't play him.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:54 am

caldy wrote:Palmer has been played out of position most of the season. He isn't doing that bad. We have had worse play for us. Weston played well LAST SEASON. When Weston has played which granted hasn't been often due to suspension and injury I thought he was poor. I think Palmer needs to play in his own position for a good run before we can properly judge him. If everybody else tried has hard as Taundry we would be a brilliant team.

How does that work then? Trying hard isn't enough. If I went out there then I'd try as hard as Taundry - but I'd be rubbish and we'd lose.

And you clearly don't really believe it yourself as in your next sentence you criticize Deeney - whose main attribute is that he always gives it his all. He tries as hard as Taundry and yet you think that he should be dropped. :? :?

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:55 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Actually, he's been played out of position all season, as he said himself that he's a right winger. Strangely enough, that's the one position the wierdo in charge won't play him.

And we have so many right wingers in our squad at the moment too... :roll: :roll:

caldy
UTS Regular

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:00 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

And we have so many right wingers in our squad at the moment too... :roll: :roll:

Just pointing out a fact that he is critised but he still hasn't played in his own position, oh and he scored one and had a hand in the other two on Saturday when not playing in his own position. I think Taundry does try hard and will get a lot better with more games, unfortuneatley I think Deeney tries to try hard but doesn't think quick enough and will get better but doesn't have the same ability of others.

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:01 pm

saddlerken wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Like WFC_Rob - I dont rate Palmer. He scored a great goal, but apart from that he's very poor. He can't run with it, he's allergic to heading the ball, he hides from possession

I agree, he is woeful

I may or may not agree with that statement but, on Saturday;

i) scored 1 goal
ii) Great corner for another goal
iii) Shot blocked leading to the 3rd goal
iv) Late goalline clearance to stop the game going to 3-2 and us really being up against it.

So 4 VITAL contributions.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:08 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

I agree, he is woeful

i) scored 1 goal
iv) Late goalline clearance to stop the game going to 3-2 and us really being up against it.

Palmer was good on Saturday. It's only fair to say so.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:03 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

I agree, he is woeful

i) scored 1 goal

Agreed. But better than Ishy?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:10 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Agreed. But better than Ishy?

Well on the basis of 4 (count 'em!) VITAL contributions to the game, then I don't think you could expect any more from a player and, yes, better than Demontagnac quite probably who, let's face it, either has a stormer of a match or a stinker.

To be honest, Demontagnac was needed 2nd half to come on and run at their fairly static and unfit back players.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Agreed. But better than Ishy?

Well on the basis of 4 (count 'em!) VITAL contributions to the game, then I don't think you could expect any more from a player and, yes, better than Demontagnac quite probably who, let's face it, either has a stormer of a match or a stinker.

To be honest, Demontagnac was needed 2nd half to come on and run at their fairly static and unfit back players.

Oh to have that option! Unfortunately the master tactician didn't have that option as he decided to let him watch from the stand. :roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:33 pm

Palmers set pieces are vital to us, and he dont have much pace, but being either footed means he can get past players.

His defending is atrocious, im glad we dont have to play him at full back, but id rather him have on the right and ishy on the left.

Deeney still cant do anything but use his muscle, he cant pass, he cant head, he cant shoot. He only scored cause he ran into somebody.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

2 Right wingers Reich and Palmer
2 Left wingers Demontagnac and Zaaboub.

how many times of any of those players played in that position this season

you can count them on one hand , unbelievable

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:43 pm

I really dont see why you people dont rate Palmer..hes fantastic I think.
Like someone said, Palmer and Ishy on the Right & Left I think is great and like someone else said, we need Palmers set peices, hes a vital part of the team...along with Weston I think but Clueless Mullen decides to leave him out. You cant play Taundry at right back we need Weston there.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:48 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:I really dont see why you people dont rate Palmer..hes fantastic I think.
Like someone said, Palmer and Ishy on the Right & Left I think is great and like someone else said, we need Palmers set peices, hes a vital part of the team...along with Weston I think but Clueless Mullen decides to leave him out. You cant play Taundry at right back we need Weston there.

I rate Palmer as a decent squad player , but not a regular starter having said that we have yet to see him play in his preferred position .

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:55 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:I really dont see why you people dont rate Palmer..hes fantastic I think.

Because he's clueless as a full back, whihc is where Mullen keeps playing him. He might be a decent right winger, but it's not likely we'll ever find out, because the manager won't play him there!

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Because he's clueless as a full back, whihc is where Mullen keeps playing him. He might be a decent right winger, but it's not likely we'll ever find out, because the manager won't play him there!

Yeh, I would play him on the Right Wing.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:26 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:

I agree, he is woeful

i) scored 1 goal

Agreed. But better than Ishy?

Based on Saturday, it's hard to see how Ishmel could have done any better.

That's not to say that I don't agree that Ishmel should have been given a chance on that left wing by now - he should have.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:12 pm

I'd also just like to comment on Palmer's set piece deliveries, as everyone is (correctly) suggesting that they are a big part of his contribution.

Palmer takes every corner and every free kick we win in each 90 minute game of football. To be fair to him, we've actually scored a decent number of goals from his deliveries, so it would be harsh for me to belittle his ability on that front.
I do wonder however, if we'd score goals anyway regardless of who takes the set pieces. After all, for the first time in a few years, I'd actually class us as a big side height wise. Jabo, Ricketts, Roberts, Gerrard and Mattis are certainly big threats in aerial situations.

So my question is, do we really have to rely on Palmer to deliver all of our set pieces given the fact that he contributes very little else from open play, or should we give someone like Reich or Ishmel the chance to shine, bearing in mind the fact that they are two decent footballers who are sure to contribute more to our play over the course of a game?

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season