Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Northampton Town (H) League 1 Saturday 1/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Northampton Town (H) League 1 Saturday 1/11/08.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Duke wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
caldy wrote:Palmer has been played out of position most of the season. He isn't doing that bad. We have had worse play for us. Weston played well LAST SEASON. When Weston has played which granted hasn't been often due to suspension and injury I thought he was poor. I think Palmer needs to play in his own position for a good run before we can properly judge him. If everybody else tried has hard as Taundry we would be a brilliant team.
Deeney on Saturday apart from his goal looked lost, will be ok in time but think he is more a squad player than regular first teamer.

Actually, he's been played out of position all season, as he said himself that he's a right winger. Strangely enough, that's the one position the wierdo in charge won't play him.

2 Right wingers Reich and Palmer
2 Left wingers Demontagnac and Zaaboub.

how many times of any of those players played in that position this season

you can count them on one hand , unbelievable

That's 4 left wingers (+1 right as Palmer can play there)

Reich is a right footed left winger (he can't play on the right!)
Palmer can play both, as he said earlier on in the season. (but he is naturally left footed)

I rate Palmer, think he is a good player and has alot to offer for us this season. He can act as cover at fullback and can play on both wings. Personally I'd play him on the right with Reich on the left. Palmer showed on Saturday his importance to the team. A goal and 2 assists, what more do you want? He lacks pace, but makes up through his superb delivery. You may say wingers should have pace, but what about David Beckham. He's a right winger who has no pace, but like Palmer he has a superb delivery into the box.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Posh Spice raves about it.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:07 am

May i just say, talking about our wingers. Alex nicholls has played in our best performances of the season and played very well in all of them. Away at bristol he was awesome and nearly scored a late beautiful goal, brighton he ran himself down, carlisle which was our best performance of the season all round, he was a massive part of 2 goals at leicester, he was one of our top performaers at leeds despite defeat. Although agreed he is hit and miss, when he plays and plays well, he creates a lot for our team & we generally play well.

Frazy85

Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:57 am

caldy wrote:Does anyone know that yesterday WE WON 3-1. I thought there would have been more positive posts on here but it seems the whole thread is still negative. Yes we made hard work of it but even when they scored I could not see them scoring another. If they play like that week after week and win then I'll be a happy Saddler.

So despite the fact they hit the bar, had it cleared off the line by palmer, and two superb saves from ince you couldnt see them scoring again?

To be honest if we play like that all season, even when winning like we did against northampton, its going to be a very dull season. The fact that Mullen just makes his players sit deep like we did against hartlepool, Leicester etc when we should just keep playing our usual game, and then he wonders why they are scoring goals and getting all the chances!

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 pm

Sadders wrote:May i just say, talking about our wingers. Alex nicholls has played in our best performances of the season and played very well in all of them. Away at bristol he was awesome and nearly scored a late beautiful goal, brighton he ran himself down, carlisle which was our best performance of the season all round, he was a massive part of 2 goals at leicester, he was one of our top performaers at leeds despite defeat. Although agreed he is hit and miss, when he plays and plays well, he creates a lot for our team & we generally play well.

I rate Alex Nicholls alot, especially after coming back from his broken leg at such a young age. He has the potential to play atleast in the Championship. The main problem is that he realy is hit and miss. If he performed week in week out he'd be one of our best players.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:27 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:
Sadders wrote:May i just say, talking about our wingers. Alex nicholls has played in our best performances of the season and played very well in all of them. Away at bristol he was awesome and nearly scored a late beautiful goal, brighton he ran himself down, carlisle which was our best performance of the season all round, he was a massive part of 2 goals at leicester, he was one of our top performaers at leeds despite defeat. Although agreed he is hit and miss, when he plays and plays well, he creates a lot for our team & we generally play well.

I rate Alex Nicholls alot, especially after coming back from his broken leg at such a young age. He has the potential to play atleast in the Championship. The main problem is that he realy is hit and miss. If he performed week in week out he'd be one of our best players.

I think there's underlying contradition in that comment.
First of all, as much as it's very commendable, the fact that he'd come back from a bad injury should have no bearing on the judgement of his footballing abilities. I agree that he's played well and impressed on a few occasions this season, but if we're honest, his 'hit' to 'miss' ratio is pretty unfavourable.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Frazy85 wrote:To be honest if we play like that all season, even when winning like we did against northampton, its going to be a very dull season.

Furthermore, if we play like that all season, we'll be in League Two this time next year.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season