Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 29/11/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Swindon Town (H) League 1 Saturday 29/11/08.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:57 pm

First half, I thought we played well - certainly deserving of our 1-0 lead. Some good football too. I don't think it's any coincidence that we take our two 'hoofers' out of the team (Palmer and Taundry) and replace them with footballers (Boertien and Reich), and the performance improves.

Second half, I thought we were average at best. For whatever reason, the players again seemed to drop 10 yards and give Swindon more time / space to play. I also found some of the tactical decisions / substitutions mystifying. Ricketts I assume was an injury, so i've no problem with that. I have no problem with the decision to replace him with Zaaboub. But why push a winger up front (Reich) when you've got a striker (Nicholls) playing on the other wing?

Why do you then substitute that winger playing up front after 15 minutes of the 2nd half? I'm not a fan of Reich in that position but he was making a decent fist of it (no sign of the laziness that has plagued his earlier performances). Taundry played OK but we lost more of our attacking impetus when Reich went off.

Also, why substitute Roberts? MOTM for me before he went off and had Cox in his pocket. No sign of an injury so if he's not fit enough to last the full 90 minutes, why start him in the first place?

Overall, I think we just about did enough to win. Good performances from Gilmartin (despite a couple of early dodgy moments), Nicholls and (to my surprise) Deeney.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:16 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:Also, why substitute Roberts? MOTM for me before he went off and had Cox in his pocket. No sign of an injury so if he's not fit enough to last the full 90 minutes, why start him in the first place?

Are you sure you didn't see Roberts limping before we even got to half time?
He was injured for the majority of the game. Played well considering, but I was very surprised he was left on the pitch for that long. Had they exploited Cox's pace in behind him, they'd have had a load of chances in that second half.

Whitters
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:34 pm

Ha ha ha - interesting to see those that didn't go hanging on to their beliefs about players only to be told by those that did go they are wrong!

addo
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:36 pm

From the official site .....................

Michael Ricketts and Stephen Roberts both came off with groin injuries, whilst Chris Palmer missed the game as his partner gave birth to their first child.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:38 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:Also, why substitute Roberts? MOTM for me before he went off and had Cox in his pocket. No sign of an injury so if he's not fit enough to last the full 90 minutes, why start him in the first place?

He was injured for the majority of the game. Played well considering, but I was very surprised he was left on the pitch for that long. Had they exploited Cox's pace in behind him, they'd have had a load of chances in that second half.

Yep. Roberts even limped ONTO the pitch, second half. Clearly injured.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:39 pm

addo wrote:Chris Palmer missed the game as his partner gave birth to their first child.

Congratulations to him.
His wife couldn't have timed things any better. :D

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:
addo wrote:Chris Palmer missed the game as his partner gave birth to their first child.

Congratulations to him.

Yeah, don't supose she could have another one next week!! :lol:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:41 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Congratulations to him.

But does that mean he will be back next week :? ?

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:43 pm

King Crimson wrote:
WFC_Rob wrote:

Yep. Roberts even limped ONTO the pitch, second half. Clearly injured.

I stand corrected. I didn't see Roberts limping.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Thought we played well but we werent helped by Mullen taking Reich off. Agree about Roberts, didn't see him limping but he did have Cox in his pocket.

The promising thing was that we actually played football for a lot of the game. After this performance Reich should keep his place.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:06 pm

Enjoyable match today, and a good and well deserved win. I have to think that today's result was despite Mullen rather than because of him.

Doubtless Palmer would have played had he been available, and we would have been the worse because of his presence.

We really missed Ricketts in the second half. Putting Reich, who had made a big difference in the first half when on the left, into Rickett's place was a joke. He really was annoyed to come off, but frankly he is no good at all up front, while being far better than Zaaboub on the wide left.

I thought Swindon came to play football, which made a big difference to the match. There was less hoof-ball from Walsall, although Mullen did keep on shouting at the players to hoof it down the pitch. He seems to dislike them trying to pass.

Rene played well, but he should surely have save their goal. The shot came from at least 40 yards, no exaggeration, and Rene did not need to dive, just stop the ball from whistling past his ear. By my reckoning that is our third good win (we have also had three dodgy wins) in the last 19 home matches - but we are still on course to equal next match our post war record of 20 consecutive home games without a clean sheet.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:13 pm

Pleased to see three points this morning, more pleased to read the team played well, and even more pleased with the team selected.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:20 pm

Bernie wrote:Doubtless Palmer would have played had he been available, and we would have been the worse because of his presence.

That's where my frustration comes from.
I can accept Ince coming back in for Gilmartin, Mattis for Bradley & Jabo for Deeney, but if Palmer comes back into the side next week, it'll show how much of a turnip Mullen really is as far as his tactics are concerned.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:42 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Congratulations to him.

Hopefully he'll be on paternity leave for the next 2-3 weeks.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:

Congratulations to him.

So it wasn't, as I speculated, that he and Jimmy had had a tiff about whether the bedroom curtains should be natural linen or velvet paisley?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:25 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Thought we played well but we werent helped by Mullen taking Reich off. Agree about Roberts, didn't see him limping but he did have Cox in his pocket.

The promising thing was that we actually played football for a lot of the game. After this performance Reich should keep his place.

I agree with the tinned puddingmeister. Reich on the left with Boertien behind him was as good a left-sided pairing as we've seen since Zigor and Pedro. Shame it lasted about fifty minutes before it was well and truly ****ed up.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:39 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Thought we played well but we werent helped by Mullen taking Reich off. Agree about Roberts, didn't see him limping but he did have Cox in his pocket.

I agree with the tinned puddingmeister. Reich on the left with Boertien behind him was as good a left-sided pairing as we've seen since Zigor and Pedro. Shame it lasted about fifty minutes before it was well and truly ****ed up.

Aye, really broke up our play, usually you'd think it'd happen from a move by the oppositions manager, instead, we can do that on our own.

Glad we decided to play a proper defence too, really makes a difference when a full back has positional sense. Helps out the centre-backs and wingers plenty.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:42 pm

You mean the revolutionary concept of playing full-backs at full-back?

You never know, it may just catch on.
:|

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:45 pm

Wow! Sitting here on a Saturday night with the warm glow of a win in my heart!

I was not going to go today - have had man-flu - but I thought 'feel crap at home, feel crap at the match ... meh ... I'll do it'

Coldest match of the year? Maybe!

Mullen rang the changes - a brave move for a manager who likes to stick with his first eleven ... but a usual move for Jimmy!

I can't write a useful match review so I will just put snipets that I remember or think important:

1 - Some people may knock Ricketts, but we missed his presence in the second half big time

2 - Roberts has less flair and imagination than a central defender we let go because he was 'just' a central defender

3 - Nicholls worked his arse off again today

4 - When Taundry came on he showed why he should have started - maybe the manager was right to make him compete for his place

5 - Zaaboub looked good down the right ... caused them a head-ache or two

6 - Soup was a good idea ... but £2.50!!!!

7 - Clayton who? Rene was great today - more than great - he made some stunning saves. If Clayton does go in January I have no worries at all now

8 - Reich was not happy to be taken off - not happy at all - but who put the cross in perfectly for the winning goal?

9 - When we are one - nil up I do wish the fans around me would celebrate the fact rather than putting down JM for his choice of substitutes

10 - The side today was maybe 4 players off being a very good side - with a couple of signings and return to fitness of others we can still make a big dent on this league

I loved today's game even though each minute of the second half seemed to last 5 minutes

Its great to win ay it

UTS

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:48 pm

King Crimson wrote:You mean the revolutionary concept of playing full-backs at full-back?

You never know, it may just catch on.
:|

Crazy but yes. Only a mentalist would play two midfielders there.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Sorry everyone for our home form this season. Blame me. We have been poor at home this season and I have seen every (home) game.
I could not go to the game today as I have had a minor op at the Manor. Just got home and come round from the anesthetic.
First thing I did was come on here to see how we got on. Couldn't believe the team selection (thought it was great), pleased
that we played well and pleased we won obviously. So blame me for the previous bad matches and I think I'll become a stayaway
if we win at home good performance or not!!!!! :D Just on the Reich substitution as it was on the hour had he gone missing again like
he did earlier in the season or was it unjustified? Re Roberts, he really should be called Sicknote. Have we still got that Byrne on trial?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:51 pm

caldy wrote:I have had a minor op at the Manor. Just got home and come round from the anesthetic.

Those cutbacks are getting worse - sending you home unconscious is a bit extreme! :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:55 pm

Right. That's it - that's the last time I listen to the opposition commentary.

At least we played much better than I thought :? .

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:58 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Right. That's it - that's the last time I listen to the opposition commentary.

At least we played much better than I thought :? .

Always nice to have a surprise on a Saturday evening :lol:

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:05 pm

Maybe you'll all give Jimmy Mullen a break for a few days now we've won,the thing you all must understand is that any manager worth his salt,will do the job his way,i am sure people would have an even worse opinion of him if he didn't choose who he wanted no matter what anyone else thought,we are all amature managers,and all have the right to our opinion as to how the game went,what it would be like if you had your way,and how certain players played,but to deliberately put the guy down,when he knows how you all feel about him,and yet he is brave enough to keep going,and try to keep the spirit of the dresingt room going,we can all tell him how to play and call him a pratt or even worse,even though we haven't got a coaching badge between us,but i put it to you all,you would all s**t yourselves if you were in the same position.

booster cogburn
UTS Veteran

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:09 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:Overall, I think we just about did enough to win.

Yeah, scoring one more goal than the opposition usually does the trick in terms of doing enough to win! :roll:

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:41 pm

caldy wrote: Just on the Reich substitution as it was on the hour had he gone missing again like he did earlier in the season or was it unjustified?

He did nothing at all in the second half because he was playing up front.

In the first half he was impressive in that he looked dangerous when he had the ball, caused problems for their defence and put over a number of very useful crosses. He is not great at the defensive side of the game, but we can certainly afford to have at least one flair player like Reich in the side, because it puts extra pressure on the opposition - they have to defend more, and it gives our midfield an option.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:19 am

Surprised that no-one has commented on the most distressing piece of management ineptitude today.....

No pies at half time in the Text OAP.

Christ knows what would happen if a crowd turned up.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:53 am

Cyclo - when it comes to Reich v Taundry for a role on the wing you are so, so wrong to opt for the latter. Yes, he put in the cross for Nicholls to score, but that was it. Reich put in at least three fantastic free kicks first half that we would have scored from had we had two 'senior' strikers to aim for instead of only one. Most importantly, we played FOOTBALL with him and Boertien. All of our good stuff came down the left in the first half. All of it. Not only did they pass it around nicely, other players like Hughes and Ricketts sought Reich out, and his positioning meant that they could find him. It was this that meant that we kept the ball and generally looked the business.

Taundry placed himself too high up the pitch. He didn't link with Weston when we had the ball, and could offer him no protection when we didn't. This was so evident when MacNamee came on. He still has a natural instinct to 'kick and rush' like a rugby full-back. His cross at the end WAS excellent as I mentioned in my earlier comments on this thread, but it's those sorts of arguments that have seen Palmer in the team week-in, week-out. One 'assist' isn't enough.

Message to JM. I'm delighted we won. I'm glad you decided to play the footballers again (Weston, Boertien, Reich, and even Zabooub). Please play them again next week.
x

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:26 am

King Crimson wrote:Message to JM. I'm delighted we won. I'm glad you decided to play the footballers again (Weston, Boertien, Reich, and even Zaaboub). Please play them again next week.

Ah, but Muddle's love-child, Palmer, should be available, next week. :twisted:

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season