Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leeds United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/10/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Duke
Site Addict

Re: Leeds United (A) League 1 Saturday 25/10/08.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:57 pm

excellent first half performance undone by poor defending in the second .

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:58 pm

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:1 point from the last 16,its not looking good.

Today's result makes our next 2 home games very important with both Northampton and Swindon right behind us.

caldy
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Could be worse, look at Carlisle. Let's hope we can get back to winning ways in our next 2 home games. It just shows that we need to get some new players. I think JM needs to realise this sooner rather than later.

Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:07 pm

we are top of the league, say we are top of the league.

sorry top of page 2 :oops:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:23 pm

Biggles wrote:1 Point out of a possible 12 for October. Hope this is the annual blip come early..

We have now conceded 10 goals in 4 games. Swindon have won their last couple of home games [scoring 4] and Northampton have been on a reasonable run. With our defence as it is, combined with the lack of effective cover in most areas of the field, it may well get worse before it gets better.

I do not expect Mr 'I'm Considerably Richer Than Yow' to be prepared to fund reinforcements either. I don't care what anyone says, we must have one of the smallest budgets in this league. A couple of above-average-earnings signings [Ricketts,Hughes] in itself does not suggest otherwise.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:45 pm

Biggles wrote:1 Point out of a possible 12 for October. Hope this is the annual blip come early..

Isn't that TWO points - one at Hereford and one at Leicester - out of a possible 15?

Not that it's a big deal, I mean 1 point or 2 - either would be very disappointing by any standards.

SWS1

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:05 pm

Oh, Cack!
:(

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:07 pm

Oh well

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:13 pm

A disappointing though predictable outcome I guess - but this is not one of those games I expected anything from, so much as I hate Leeds I'm not excessively peed off about this particular result.

Shame we shot ourselves completely in the foot straight after half-time, especially after a (reportedly) decent first-half, but if Saddlers World commentary was accurate, goals 2 and 3 were unstoppable "wonder strikes", so what can you do?

Swindon at home now becomes very important as we are sliding down the table alarmingly with only two points from the last 15.

Finally, apologies to saddlerken for commenting on today's game. I know he doesn't like me to when I'm not there! :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Just got back feel gutted.
After good first half disaster.
How the hell did we manage to lose possesion straight from the kick off ?.
Concede a corner pathetic defending ball should have been cleared, bang one down they have their tails up our heads drop.
Sorry Mullen you really dont have a Plan B we looked like donkeys after that and them class.
Cue Mullen quotes "2 class goals" "best team we've played" ect.
Sorry Jim that second half display hurt. To throw in the towel (and thats the way it seemed to me) and their fans singing can we play you every week hurt like hell.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:22 pm

Graydon48 wrote:Just got back feel gutted.
After good first half disaster.
How the hell did we manage to lose possesion straight from the kick off ?.Concede a corner pathetic defending ball should have been cleared, bang one down they have their tails up our heads drop.
Sorry Mullen you really dont have a Plan B we looked like donkeys after that and them class.
Cue Mullen quotes "2 class goals" "best team we've played" ect.
Sorry Jim that second half display hurt. To throw in the towel (and thats the way it seemed to me) and their fans singing can we play you every week hurt like hell.

I'm looking forward to seeing that on TV - in a perverse sort of way!

Could it have been encroachment by the Leeds player in the centre circle at kick-off? If not, someone on our side must have been fast asleep! :?

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:54 pm

missed the second half due to some jobs thought they would score more goals when do the highlights appear on virginmedias website?

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:43 pm

1st HALF

Good 1st half and should have been leading if Jaboo had finished alot better. Deeney had a good half and put in some telling crosses, along with our new boy Nicholls. Defence looked ok apart from Boatien who had a bit of a mare. At this stage Leeds where no real threat , and only troubled us with long range efforts

2nd HALF

Once again it was a different team second half. Ok Leeds changed the tempo of the game by putting more on the left with him cutting in. It was a shocking start with Ricketts passing back to Taundy who had the ball taken off him from Beckford, which lead to a corner and some comedy defending and Becchio scoring the 1st goal of the game.Then it was the Fabian Delph show who scored 2 stunning goals goals

Overall good first half display but shocking once agin in the 2nd. The midfield was once again far to weak, why Taundry is still playing at centre midfield rather than right back I'm not sure.Bradley is fit and should be in the starting 11. There's also no back up for Jaboo or Ricketts, nobody to offer something different.

We need to change the team around and maybe bring some fresh players in on loan. We have to hard games up coming against Swindon and Northampton> I just hope we pick up 4 or 6 points , else we could have a long winter a head

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Didn't think we'd get anything, so its not disappointing in that sense. Disappointing in the sense that we once again collapsed by all accounts.

When people say its important we bring in some signings, quite a few folk were saying that 5 weeks. Its much easier to get good players coming to you when you're 4th/5th/6th than when you're 15th. What's more telling is that most have known we needed 2/3 players for months in exactly the same positions as was obvious pre-season. Someone experienced to organise and lead the back, some experience in the midfield and another striker. That was evident before we kicked a ball this season and is now.

We've thrown away a very good position due to failing to invest at the right time, or even invest from the off.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Stu wrote:Didn't think we'd get anything, so its not disappointing in that sense. Disappointing in the sense that we once again collapsed by all accounts.

When people say its important we bring in some signings, quite a few folk were saying that 5 weeks. Its much easier to get good players coming to you when you're 4th/5th/6th than when you're 15th. What's more telling is that most have known we needed 2/3 players for months in exactly the same positions as was obvious pre-season. Someone experienced to organise and lead the back, some experience in the midfield and another striker. That was evident before we kicked a ball this season and is now.

We've thrown away a very good position due to failing to invest at the right time, or even invest from the off.

Not for the first time. :twisted:

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:02 pm

The side needs some older heads adding to the side, we cannot always to rely on Deeney,Nicholls,Bradley ,Taundy and Ismel. We need some players who know this league and have been there and got the t-shirt.

Feel we have also missed Hughes the past 3 games, Mattis has not as been effective with him along side him

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:52 pm

By the way did anyone else see Ishy sitting in the crowd with us and at halftime at the kiost waiting for his tea.
Was I seeing things ? if not surely his days with us are numbered.
Might be wrong not sure if he was on the bench (Leeds didnt anounce our subs) but was sure it was him.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:04 am

Stu wrote:Didn't think we'd get anything, so its not disappointing in that sense. Disappointing in the sense that we once again collapsed by all accounts.

Walsall? Not investing at the right time Stu? Have you lost the plot ??!!

:mrgreen:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:17 am

Graydon48 wrote:By the way did anyone else see Ishy sitting in the crowd with us and at halftime at the kiost waiting for his tea.
Might be wrong not sure if he was on the bench (Leeds didnt anounce our subs) but was sure it was him.

Shock horror..... Player with no involvment in the game watches from the stand. You must've been seeing things, thats never happened before :roll: :D

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:11 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:By the way did anyone else see Ishy sitting in the crowd with us and at halftime at the kiost waiting for his tea.

Shock horror..... Player with no involvment in the game watches from the stand. You must've been seeing things, thats never happened before :roll: :D

Shock horror...... how clever are you, how stupid am I. twerp

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 am

Graydon48 wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:

Shock horror...... how clever are you, how stupid am I. idiot

Well, oddly enough the players are in the stands at most games when they aren't playing. The fact he should've at least been down in the dug-out is down to JM, not me. Idiot :mrgreen:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:43 am

Where the hell was Weston? There'd been nothing pre match about any injury. Why on earth was the supposedly "not match fit" Zaaboub on the bench and Ishy in the stand? If Hughes was fit enough to be on the bench, why didn't he start? If the Manager ever thought that a central midfield of Taundry and Mattis was going to be good enough there, he's delusional.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Where the hell was Weston? There'd been nothing pre match about any injury. Why on earth was the supposedly "not match fit" Zaaboub on the bench and Ishy in the stand? If Hughes was fit enough to be on the bench, why didn't he start? If the Manager ever thought that a central midfield of Taundry and Mattis was going to be good enough there, he's delusional.

We need to give him time. I'm sure he's capable of getting us out of this league :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:51 am

Ned_Kelly wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Where the hell was Weston? There'd been nothing pre match about any injury. Why on earth was the supposedly "not match fit" Zaaboub on the bench and Ishy in the stand? If Hughes was fit enough to be on the bench, why didn't he start? If the Manager ever thought that a central midfield of Taundry and Mattis was going to be good enough there, he's delusional.

We need to give him time. I'm sure he's capable of getting us out of this league :wink:

Yes, but in which direction? :lol:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:01 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:

Yes, but in which direction? :lol:

Every good set up is following by the right hook to the jaw :wink: :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:08 am

agreed Neil Hughes should have started , as for Weston we all know he a better defender than Palmer.

pity our manager can't see that.

Having said that the first half went very much to plan by all accounts , once again stupid errors cost us .

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:41 am

all i can say is this manager has not got a clue, and i wont be going away again this season too much money basically wasted.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:57 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Where the hell was Weston? There'd been nothing pre-match about any injury. Why on earth was the supposedly "not match fit" Zaaboub on the bench and Ishy in the stand? If Hughes was fit enough to be on the bench, why didn't he start? If the Manager ever thought that a central midfield of Taundry and Mattis was going to be good enough there, he's delusional.

I wonder if there has been a falling-out between Mullen and Weston? Read Weston's comments in Saturday's Sporting Dingle and think back to his comments about Mullen at the Presentation Evening.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:43 pm

I didnt go but it was expected. However like Neil said above, his decisions are baffling and proves he is well out of his depth.

Hughes, Weston and Ishy should start IF fit because we clearly have bugger all else to offer. Bradley should start if Hughes/Mattis cant play. Boertein has been so dodgy this season so give Netan another chance. Gerrard and Roberts is clearly not working so unless he has ideas of movg Weston to centre half, we need a central defender on loan or maybe Breen??

The midfield yesterday was far too iexperienced and two big games in the space of 5 days was too much for them.

I am beginning to think Mullens start was a lucky break and Id hate to imagine where we wouldve been without it. This team is good enough, I just wish the manager was

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:57 pm

Had Mullen picked the best of the players he had available, I genuinely think we could have got at least a point from the game.
Palmer isn't a defender. Weston should have played, particularly because, according to Ishmel, there's nothing wrong with him - he just wasn't selected. Why we didn't even have a defender on the bench is beyond belief. We're away at one of the top sides in the league - an early injury to Gerrard or Roberts would have left us absolutely screwed.

As has already been said, if Hughes was fit enough to be on the bench, he could have surely played at least some part in the game. We missed him so much. Had he been playing, I very much doubt Delphs would have found the space to score those two stunners. It was obvious from the way we played in the first half that they were likely to eventually get a long-range shot on target. We had no-one sitting deep in midfield - Mattis and Taundry just ran around a lot.

Other than putting in a couple of balls which should have been converted in the first half, Deeney might as well have been sat next to me in the stand. He literally looked like he hadn't got a clue what he was supposed to be doing most of the time. Whether he's not good enough or is just short of confidence, playing him every week will just make matters worse. We need to sort the wide right position out - either play Reich or Palmer or bring someone else in.

Oddly enough, in terms of the goals we conceded, we were a bit unlucky. The first goal came about as a result of a clearance ricocheting back towards the goal for Becchio to tap in and the other two goals were screamers. Whilst I go along with the argument that Leeds made their own 'luck', the naivety of several of our players as well as our manager told in the end against a much more 'street-wise' opposition.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season