Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday18/10/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Re: Hartlepool United (H) League 1 Saturday18/10/08

Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:11 pm

Chomper wrote:So, in summary...

Not too bad - we're almost there

:wink: :wink: :roll: :roll: :shock: :? :cry: :cry: :cry:

:mrgreen:

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:22 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:I have been critical of Ishmel in the past but to play a right back on the left wing instead of him is truly horrific. To not play Marco Reich; and play Troy Deeney for me is an absolutely ridiculous way of going about things. Please tell me if im being an idiot... but is:

Ishmel Bradley Mattis Reich

better than:

Palmer Mattis Taundry Deeney

Am I missing something ????? :evil:

No your not being an idiot...
Id go with that

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:14 am

saddlerken wrote:smug and childish

Money for example would have sat back but would have had a better organised defence if Money is not a chaeap option, which, btw he was

If you are quite happy that we lost then continue to stay away

And just why would I, or anyone else on here, be happy that we lost?

Angry is what I am, and certainly NOT the slightest bit happy.

BTW, If you wish to describe yourself as smug and childish that's fine, but really unnecessary. However, you ought to desist from suggesting that I'm not entitled to comment just because I "don't go".

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:32 am

geoffwhiting wrote:

Money for example would have sat back but would have had a better organised defence if Money is not a chaeap option, which, btw he was

BTW, If you wish to describe yourself as smug and childish that's fine, but really unnecessary. However, you ought to desist from suggesting that I'm not entitled to comment just because I "don't go".

You comment more now than you did when you went

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:26 am

saddlerken wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

Be glad that he's only using paragraphs, not pages. GW's new brevity should be celebrated. :wink:

Attendance isn't compulsory for an opinion.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:59 am

Report:

http://upthesaddlers.com/wp/archives/20 ... -shambles/

I've managed to avoid using any swear words regarding that managerial performance. My mate Steve said it looked like a "Let's get the manager the sack" performance.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:06 am

agree with the majority of this, however Neil, you cannot compare anyone to the drunk that was in charge, he should always be on his own as worst manager in the history of WFC

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:08 am

Hear hear :!: :!: :!:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:13 am

saddlerken wrote:agree with the majority of this, however Neil, you cannot compare anyone to the drunk that was in charge, he should always be on his own as worst manager in the history of WFC

Really? Think back to a 2 - 3 home defeat to Chesterfield after leading 2 - 0. The game went in exactly the same way.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:16 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
saddlerken wrote:agree with the majority of this, however Neil, you cannot compare anyone to the drunk that was in charge, he should always be on his own as worst manager in the history of WFC

Really? Think back to a 2 - 3 home defeat to Chesterfield after leading 2 - 0. The game went in exactly the same way.

Fitness, discipline, signings, culture etc etc

tactically, I think Mullen does have a plan A, the drunks tactics was to get on machine with flashing lights

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:32 am

Finding it very hard to believe Hughes didn't start and Bradley missed out .

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:47 am

Apparently Hughes was off sick with flu.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:50 am

cal wfc fan wrote:Apparently Hughes was off sick with flu.

thanks for that , just caught the goals on the championship shocking defending .

Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:53 am

Duke wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:Apparently Hughes was off sick with flu.

thanks for that , just caught the goals on the championship shocking defending .

Totally. Massive holes in the area for the first one, then in front of defence as they attacked to score the second. We looked like school kids all running around after the ball rather then having a semblance of shape. :?

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:57 am

Mullen. Get rid. Now.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:00 am

2 Walsall players failed to prevent a cross for one goal , the making for the 3rd was indeed schoolboy football

Dog and Duck stuff :twisted:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:15 am

Well, I bet some of the Poolie fans feel a bit dense now, after chanting to Wilson 'you don't know what your doing', well he did.

Waste of time yesterday, I can take defeat, but not like that. The team has clear weak areas and we have some palyers who can do a better job, but why won't they be picked?

The Ishy situation was embarrassing, what was the point in waiting all that time, the damage had been done.

Quality shot from Hartlepool for the second, wish our lot would try that more often.

Tactically naive yesterday. We needed those three points before this week, christ knows what the team morale will be by next Sunday

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:48 am

Shocking performance. As soon as the first half I could see what was going to happen, we simply couldnt keep the ball.

Neils report and Plastic Hawks review were spot on in my view, poor selection, terrible tactics, and no reaction whatsoever to the changing pattern of the game.

We scored two oppurtunistic goals, and should have gone on to win comfortably, but with a hiding weak midfield and wing backs doing their best to win the "who can make the most pointless sliced clearance" award, we just couldn't put our foot on the ball.

Ricketts again went missing, he really needs to work harder. I know he's got quality, but my god he's lazy. We need another striker in immediately to provide some competition for him.

The substitutions were weird, but having said that, we haven't got anyone in the squad capable of changing a game. But Mullen still contrived to make some very strange subs.

Lets spend some of the £408k profit and get some quality reinforcements in. I think it's 2 clean sheets in 30+ games now, which quite frankly is terrible.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:50 am

saddlerken wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

a) that's talking rubbish frankly (see Exile's reference above as a guide).
b) have you acquired some sort of problem with me recently? :? There are quite a number of posts on this thread from people who didn't/don't go, but you reserve the digs for me.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:51 am

Just another thing to add, which I don't think has been commented on yet - what exactly do the players and management do in training?
The fact that we didn't have, and haven't had so far this season, any sort of plan B is there for all to see. Looking past that though, we looked completely short of anything resembling organisation or structure.
Last week, Peterborough's sharpness in and around the box was a joy to watch - that's obviously something they work on in training. Similarly, Hartlepool's working of the ball when they had the opportunities to catch us on the break were well planned.
All we have to offer is huff, puff & a hope that Jabo or Ricketts will conjure something up from nothing.
Last edited by WFC_Rob on Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:55 am

WFC_Rob wrote:Just another thing to add, which I don't think has been commented on yet - what exactly do the players and management do in training?
The fact that we had, and haven't had so far this season, any sort of plan B is there for all to see. Looking past that though, we looked completely short of anything resembling organisation or structure.
Last week, Peterborough's sharpness in and around the box was a joy to watch - that's obviously something they work on in training. Similarly, Hartlepool's working of the ball when they had the opportunities to catch us on the break were well planned.
All we have to offer is huff, puff & a hope that Jabo or Ricketts will conjure something up from nothing.

Agree. We dont have any movement, thats what shocks me, there's no willingness to get in the box and cause trouble for their defence.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:44 am

another thing worrying me , how many players are going to perform for a manager who slags them off in public , that's poor man management imo .
is Mullen losing the dressing room if that happens we are on a slippery slope

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:49 am

Duke wrote:another thing worrying me , how many players are going to perform for a manager who slags them off in public , that's poor man management imo .
is Mullen losing the dressing room if that happens we are on a slippery slope

I think he's already lost Weston (who wasn't happy with his appointment, by all accounts) and Roberts and Boertien, thanks to public slagging off in the press. Ishy and Ricketts probably ain't that bothered about him anyway - it's their style.

DawleyDick

Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:44 pm

It costs my wife and I about £45 to see a home game (tickets, petrol, car park, etc). Why should we have this expenditure to suffer such misery! We can be miserable at home for free!!! We haven't missed a home game this season but we are seriously considering a boycott of the next few home games. :(

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:33 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Just another thing to add, which I don't think has been commented on yet - what exactly do the players and management do in training?
The fact that we didn't have, and haven't had so far this season, any sort of plan B is there for all to see. Looking past that though, we looked completely short of anything resembling organisation or structure.

Agree, Rob. PH posted above that all we would seem to practise in training are set pieces (and they could do with a bit more work, if I'm being honest!).

Newsflash for Jimmy: There are formations and systems other than 4-4-2. With Jabo clearly knackered and no other real strikers available, why not go 4-5-1 (with Bradley as an extra midfielder)? Or, 4-4-1-1 (with Reich or Ishy behind Ricketts)? Or bloody anything different for once? 3-5-2? Dare I say it, 4-3-1-2 would at least be a refreshing change. We rely on banging it up to the big lads and, erm, that's it. We may not agree with changes, but at least changes suggest:
a) Mullen is aware that the game in front of his eyes isn't the same as the one that kicked off.
b) He's prepared to try and influence things. Instead, we get ranting at players and a pantomime slap of the dugout as the goals against fly in. On the subject of Panto - when it comes to Ishmel, Jimmy "HE'S BEHIND YOU!"

ToeJoe Jnr
UTS Regular

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:51 pm

Anybody can manage when you are two nil up and coasting, and Mullen looked very content shouting and pointing on the sidelines. Move to 2-1, 2-2 & 2-3 and a quick glance at the bench saw literally no movement from Mullen, apart from one slap of the hands against the dugout. He had no idea whatsoever, and for me a manager earns his crust when the chips are down.

The worrying thing is our defending against PBoro was woeful and we had a week to work on it!!! It was equally bad yesterday, and we have Fryatt to face on Tuesday!!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:59 pm

ToeJoe Jnr wrote:The worrying thing is our defending against PBoro was woeful and we had a week to work on it!!! It was equally bad yesterday, and we have Fryatt to face on Tuesday!!!

That's true, but Gerrard, Weston, and Boertien didn't turn from being amongst our best players last season to being poor this season. Roberts makes errors, but has a pedigree that should make him of adequate quality. Few teams wouldn't swap their goalkeeper for Ince at this level either. The problem sits in front of the back four in my view.

Palmer is weak, so is Deeney. Taundry is inexperienced and developing, but nowhere near ready for first team responsibilities. Mattis can only do so much. I though he was excellent for the first half hour, and in many ways that made the team excellent. As Hartlepool gradually turned the screw, the lack of support for Mattis was clear. Mattis' performance was a barometer for the team's yesterday. That's down to the options he has around him.

H

Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:28 pm

This was my first match of the Season and will be my last for a while.

It was one of the strangest games I ve ever been to. Even in the 2nd half when we were totally overran, we had 3 glorious chances. The score could have been anything. Ince never actually made a save the entire match!

People can talk about tactics all day - I don t think we re fit enough. We looked knackered in the 2nd half and I really don t think it was down to a lack of desire. The midfield was non existent although I feel I must mention Stephen Roberts. I felt he got roughed up far too easily and does nt look capable of being able to mix it. When he did win a header on the rare occasion, they normally went sidewards and he seems to have a habit of not being where the ball is (ie no positional sense) Gerrard was carrying him the entire game. I envisage a Centre half being an absolute priority. Someone like Richard Green who would be no good in the league above and is nt blessed with great pace but is strong in the air and a good organiser.

Other observations:

Deeney is not good enough for League 1 (at the moment anyway) He has had numerous chances and has never delivered. Whether he will ever be good enough, only time will tell.

I think Palmer is being harshly treated. He is lightweight but defintley has quality on the ball.

Taundry was finshed after his booking. Mattis did very little with the exception of slding in for challanges that he was never going to win.

The wide midfield positons and as mentioned previously a centre back are priority. How we ever managed that defensive miracle against Brighton, I really I have no idea!

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:11 pm

H wrote:I think Palmer is being harshly treated. He is lightweight but defintley has quality on the ball.

I think the fact that he is so lightweight is one of the reasons why he never gets on the ball. When the ball is in the air, he doesn't challenge for it and when the ball is on the ground he gets brushed aside far too easily. Oh yeah, and when one of his team-mates passes the ball to him, he has such little composure that he ends up rushing an aimless hoof towards nothing.

He's been known to take a mean corner and free kick though.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:35 pm

saddlerken wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:

And what as it to do with you may I ask, how much people comment on the board?
NOTHING is the answer of course.
People comment on politics, they are not in the house of commons everyday.
You are just being rather silly and pathetic in all honesty.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season