Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Reserves v. Derby County 8/10/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Reserves v. Derby County 8/10/08

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 am

Any-one going tonight? Team line-up plus scorers and opinions, please.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Re: Reserves v. Derby County 8/10/08

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:51 am

Derby are hoping to play their Australian International midfielder, Ruben Zadkovich, for the first time since signing him - he's been injured.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/football/Ruben-face-Saddlers/article-382381-detail/article.html

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:02 pm

What was the score?

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 pm

2-2 against a strongish Derby. Reich booked for taking his shirt off to celebrate his goal :lol:
http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 46,00.html

Chomper
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Taking you shirt off in a reserve game. How fired up would he be in our first team!!! We might find out on Saturday.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 pm

It was funny mind, he hit the free kick, off came the shirt, and he run and went down on his knees right in front of the Derby dug out :D

Booking was harsh, but I suppose it is the rules if a shirt comes off :?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Respect to the Reich.

Sounds funny, cor we just tell him he's playing Derby every week? :lol:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:35 am

:lol: :lol:
That's brilliant.
Play him from the start on Saturday, I say.

Stalky

Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:35 am

I went mainly to take a look at the Austrian Keeper (Albin Kajtezovic!!). I was reasonably impressed - certainly I would be far more confident with him rather than Gilmartin. He wasn't to blame for either goal - he stood no chance - and he made a few really good saves - one very brave.

For those who are interested, here is the team and a few comments: -

Albin Kajtezovic

Darryl Westlake
Manny Smith
Rhys Weston
Netan Sansara

Ishy (on right)
Sam Adkins
Josh Craddock
Marco Reich

Troy Deeney
Will Grigg

Joseph Howes on for Josh Craddock after about 80 mins.

Walsall were on top for the start of the first half and had a number of reasonable chances. Eventually Reich hit an unstoppable free kick from just outside the penalty area - keeper had no chance - a class goal. As reported earlier, he had his name taken for taking off his shirt. Derby came more into it towards the end of the first half with Saddlers' weak central midfield being over-run (Zadkovic was dominant).

Weston and Sansara were being given a run-out after their suspensions and Rhys did well throughout the game apart from one moment of panic madness. Halfway through the half, a dangerous low cross from the right was met by Weston, running back, to push it past Kaj... , giving him no chance.

Soon after half-time, another moment of class from Reich brought the second goal. From a left wing corner, he put across a perfect delivery and Manny Smith raced in to plant a superb header, firmly into the net.

Halfway through the second half, Zadkovich got the goal he deserved, when he got in front of Adkins to dive and head the equaliser.

Derby were very unfortunate not to win in time added on. Smith, not for the first time, lost his footing and allowed Derby to run straight through the middle. In desperation he dived in on the edge of the penalty area, but as the ref blew for a foul, the ball rebounded to a Derby player who cleanly thumped it into the net. A real let-off.

The bright signs: - a good passing game which was very enjoyable to watch.

Albin Kaj ... - We desperately need a keeper for Saturday and I would be happy with him.
Weston - had a good game apart from that moment of madness.
Reich - a class apart - just a pity that he doesn't do enough work.
Will Grigg showed promise.

The disappointments: -

Adkins and Craddock were very weak in central midfield, both in ball-winning and in distribution.
Ishy had another off night, apart from winning the free kick which produced the first goal.
Smith allowed Derby several opportunities when he slipped at crucial moments.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:17 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:2-2 against a strongish Derby. Reich booked for taking his shirt off to celebrate his goal :lol:
http://www.dcfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Ne ... 46,00.html

That's class, as was his celebration at Bescot the other week when he went over the completely empty block of seats and gestured at the empty fans. He's a card that one! As for starting on Saturday, he'll have to up his work rate a lot to win his place back and keep it but Nicholls is fast running out of chances.

Return to 2008-09 Season