Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Peterborough United (H) League 1 Saturday 11/10/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Re: Peterborough United (H) League 1 Saturday 11/10/08.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:01 pm

As I've said in the preview, with their injury problems and the players away on International duty, anything other than a home win would be unacceptable.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:As I've said in the preview, with their injury problems and the players away on International duty, anything other than a home win would be unacceptable.

To be honest, that's a bit strong. Anything other than a home win would be very disappointing, but sometimes stronger teams lose to weaker ones. That's just the way it is. So long as we go out there, get about them and try to impose ourselves on the game then that's all that we can ask.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:22 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:As I've said in the preview, with their injury problems and the players away on International duty, anything other than a home win would be unacceptable.

To be honest, that's a bit strong. Anything other than a home win would be very disappointing, but sometimes stronger teams lose to weaker ones. That's just the way it is. So long as we go out there, get about them and try to impose ourselves on the game then that's all that we can ask.

I meant it and don't think it's a bit strong at all - they are missing SIX first choice defenders and will likely play a 5 foot 10 inch midfielder at centre half. Iberhe should eat him for breakfast.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:28 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

I meant it and don't think it's a bit strong at all - they are missing SIX first choice defenders and will likely play a 5 foot 10 inch midfielder at centre half. Iberhe should eat him for breakfast.

So if we totally dominate, but their keeper has an absolute blinder and we end up drawing 0-0 then that's unacceptable? I'm sorry, but that's just football - if it was as simple and predictable as you're making out then it wouldn't be half the game that it is.

In fact, it's exactly this kind of attitude amongst many of the national sides "fans" that totally turns me off international football. Those of us who support proper teams ought to know better.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:23 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

So if we totally dominate, but their keeper has an absolute blinder and we end up drawing 0-0 then that's unacceptable? I'm sorry, but that's just football - if it was as simple and predictable as you're making out then it wouldn't be half the game that it is.

In fact, it's exactly this kind of attitude amongst many of the national sides "fans" that totally turns me off international football. Those of us who support proper teams ought to know better.

Of course I know better - but, if Mullen is sending them out with anything other than the message that these are there for the taking and it's up to them to prove themselves, then it's all wrong. The difference is I dont "expect" us to win - but I bloody well think we should.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Of course I know better - but, if Mullen is sending them out with anything other than the message that these are there for the taking and it's up to them to prove themselves, then it's all wrong. The difference is I dont "expect" us to win - but I bloody well think we should.

I do agree with that! We ought to win given how under-strength they are. :wink:

But I have too many recollections of Walsall teams being booed off when drawing 0-0 at half time in games we're expected to win... :roll:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:50 pm

I bet Micky Adams gave a 'these are there for the taking' to his Brighton team a couple of weeks back. They probably should have won the game, but it just didn't happen.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:21 pm

However if the question is: Do we want to get promoted?

then the answer must surely be we need to win these types of games.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:26 pm

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:However if the question is: Do we want to get promoted?
then the answer must surely be we need to win these types of games.

Wrong thread.
:mrgreen:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:45 pm

If the defence is as shite as said then youd want Mullen to send out Jabo and MR with a note to destroy the centrebacks at every oppurtunity, even if it means Jabo gaining his fifth card.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:45 am

2-1 win, with a goal apiece for Ibehre and Ricketts. Attendance: 4,710.

Purple Toucan Saddler

Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:38 am

Today may be the day to unleash the Asbo a little earlier than we normally do - an under strength or under experience defence should be rich pickings for him so long as he can keep his cool

2-0 to the Saddlers with Ishy setting up the second and then being sent off with 15 minutes to go

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:07 pm

I wonder if Sir Alex will be paying a visit to the Bankss today?
With his team not playing this weekend, and his son's team at Walsall stands a chance.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:03 pm

1 nil down already!

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:44 pm

0-2.

Pathetic result if it stays like that.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:54 pm

to be fair we have played some nice stuff but with no end product. They are very dangerous on the break and mckaill-gypo is class. He totally outclassed palmer to cross for their first.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:19 pm

some would say this is totally unacceptable :roll:

Back in the real world others would say that's football :wink:

Come on u Saddlers

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I spend an hour in the woods in the rain collecting chestnuts and I return to this!!!

My contact at the match tells me keeper was not to blame for either goal ... the defence just seemed all over the place

Time to toast my nuts!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:25 pm

cyclothymic wrote:I spend an hour in the woods in the rain collecting chestnuts and I return to this!!!

My contact at the match tells me keeper was not to blame for either goal ... the defence just seemed all over the place

Time to toast my nuts!

That's a bit extreme Cyclo :shock: :shock: :shock:

It's only a game of football after all :D

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Deeney :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 pm

Shouldnt be losing to team with a depleted side such as Peterboro had at home.

We are clearly lacking a striker or player that can come on and change the game, or provide a different threat.

Think we need to delve into the loan market for a striker and another attack minded player.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:41 pm

Beaten by a much better side.

They wanted it more than us and it showed as they chased every ball down and gave us no space.

Poor performances from Taundry, Boertien and Hughes. Ricketts had one of his couldn't be bothered days.

Mullen picked the wrong side and should have included Weston. We ended up with Ishmel as a right winger and Roberts as centre forward. A bit clueless and desperate that was. Gilmartin was much better than I expected and couldn't really be blamed for either goal.

Roll on next saturday, 7-0 to the Super Saddlers

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:45 pm

dire defending, dire tactics, Peterborough were a million times better than us, looked a decent side

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:06 pm

Posh were better. Pretty even until the 2nd went in though.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:16 pm

ive said it before and i'll say it agen taundry is good enough yet!!! why does he keep playing him.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Peterborough looked a decent side to be fair. We played OK in the first half, but the team talk at HT obviously didn't work. I thought Rickets was poor today, as was the midfield as a whole. Gilmartin pulled off 2 great saves and kicked well, couldn't tell what happened for the first, but the second he was unsited - not his fault. Posh seemed more up for it. They were also very annoying with their histrionics, ref was poor, although no blame for us losing can be laid at his door unfortunately. Bad day at the office. Beer, wine, chinese and chocolate are all helping numb the pain.

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Their tactics were good - flood midfield and lots of mobility. Just the sort of team we are not good against. Goal after 1 minute was the game killer. Gilmartin made good save but unfortunate with the rebound going straight to their guy. We were a bit aimless after that, although the referee didn't help as their defence manhandled Jabo time and again. We resorted to hoofball and it got us nowhere despite their threadbare back four. We needed the one that hit the bar to go in - after that we seemed to lose direction.

Thought Gilmartin did OK apart from a couple of dodgy clearances. Mattis and Hughes overrun after some great performances. Nothing from the wings. Roberts at fault for first goal but good after that. Antnee did well against some good players. Jabo too isolated and Ricketts marked out of it. We desperately need consistent quality from the wide positions up front and at the back. Weston has to start next week.

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:00 pm

I personally thought it was palmer that got caught, lunging as he did far to many times today. Palmer was crud, got skinned,set pieces were poor and all he wants to do is play hoof ball. Roberts and gerrard were good, jabo worked hard, and mattis was the best in midfield by a country mile. Reich cant be bothered to run and defend and only gets involved with a ball at his feet, taundry works hard but doesn't quite cut it on the wing yet,hughes was ok but never seems to go forward and cant shoot to save his life. Ricketts had one of his i can't be bothered days,and generally looked a bit of the pace. Boertien was ok, but got beat in the air far to many times, and without cover from reich was left on his own to mark to decent players. Nicholls should have came on when deeney did ,although deeney works hard he's simply poor,slow and needs sending out of the club sooner rather than later. Ishy went on a few runs and had a few shots but was otherwise poor, and quiet for the most.

Defence looked a little shaky today, weston and nicholls should have started. Midfield and especially the flanks were over-ran and out of the game. We have a good centre to the team in ince,roberts,gerrard,mattis,hughes,jabo,ricketts but the flanks in all areas need settling and sorting,or else our middle guys like today become over-run.

Peterborough we're a decent side, and mackail smith is the most natural,lively,hardworking striking i've sen in a team this season , a very decent prospect for the future i feel.

Hoping its just a blip, weston must start next week, as with nicholls.

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:10 pm

I agree with Codsall, in particular that we were again playing hoof-ball. Our good run has co-incided with us playing the ball along the ground, using the midfield to link up with the forwards. Today we did not seem to be able to do that at all. Perhaps it was because Peterborough competed so well in midfield that we had no time on the ball - but there seemed to be a lack of quality in midfield.

I was disappointed to hear Mullen on WM blame the first goal directly on a mistake by Roberts. Everyone at the ground knew that it was a bad mistake, but I do not see why Mullen has to mention this. You do not hear good managers blaming individual players.

On another point I do not think that I have ever heard any manager at Walsall, whether our own or a visitor, use so much foul language at high volume when shouting at his players. It sometimes sounded as if he was just shouting "effing" insults at one or two of them. Mullen was very lucky not to have his second red card of the season. I know that nobody is going to get upset at hearing bad language at a football match, and the occasional outburst is understandable, but I do not think it a good idea for the manager to be repeatedly loudly abusing the team with foul language. He can hardly complain when fans have a go if he is setting this example.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:18 pm

Very disappointing today although to be fair, Peterborough thoroughly deserved their win. They were streets ahead in terms of attacking threat and movement off the ball. They were a pleasure to watch. In contrast, we just reverted to hoofball in the hope that Jabo and Ricketts could get a lucky break.

In my opinion Mullen got it totally wrong today. The Palmer/Taundry relationship down the flanks was a complete fiasco. A "winger" should be able to go past players and create as opposed to attempting to barge straight through a defender and lose the ball. Palmer had a mare defensively and was beaten time and again. He was parltly responsible for the first goal although why Roberts had a mad one sprinting 50 yards to cover leaving the middle free i'll never know.

Whilst we needed penetration down the flanks we ended up with Marco Reich. He had one of his can't be bothered days unless the ball is passed directly to him. Both he and Taundry stunted any attacking threat today.

In contrast Posh were fast, fluid and worked together as a team. We were too one dimensional and had no plan B when the hoof it upfield tactic wasn't working.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season