Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham Town (A) JP Trophy 2nd Round Tuesday 7/10/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Re: Cheltenham Town (A) JP Trophy 2nd Round Tuesday 7/10/08.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:23 am

Duke wrote:Very pleased with the result , we must be clear favourites to win our section .
Spoke to sotv this morning he went last night and reckons Taundry was outstanding reminded him of a young David Beckham.

Wembley here we come :D

Taundry was very good in the first half. Second half, I was just thinking that he'd really drifted out of the game when all of a sudden he surged forwards and put in the ball for Jabo to equalize!

He's getting better with every game at the moment, which is very encouraging. However, while he tends to be good on the ball (very rarely gives it away), he's still not as aware as he ought to be when we lose it - and does have the tendency to go a bit into headless chicken mode rather than hold his position and keep the shape of the team. One other advantage he has is that half of the crowd last night seem to be his mates - which makes it very unlikely he'll ever be a target of the boo boys! :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:32 am

Scott Dann was the first £1million player for Walsall , mark my words Richard Taundry will be the second.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 am

Duke wrote:Scott Dann was the first £1million player for Walsall. Mark my words, Richard Taundry will be the second.

Actually, Duke, ZiDann is not yet a million pound player. I think that his basic fee was in the region of £700K to £750K. It will only rise above the million mark if the "add-ons" are activated, i.e. he is sold on for a big profit, he gets a full England cap while at Coventry or the Sky Blues get promotion.

I am pleased that Taundry is steadily improving, though, as he is one I tipped to look out for! :D

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:43 am

Duke wrote:Scott Dann was the first £1million player for Walsall , mark my words Richard Taundry will be the second.

I have serious doubts about that, actually. Good potential that he has, he's still seriously lacking in mobility and, being short, can't make up for that with a physical presence. I don't see any way that he'll play at a higher level than the Championship (although I think he could be effective there in time) and full back still looks his natural position to me - there's not many million pound Championship full backs knocking around.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:56 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Duke wrote:Scott Dann was the first £1million player for Walsall. Mark my words, Richard Taundry will be the second.

Actually, Duke, ZiDann is not yet a million pound player. I think that his basic fee was in the region of £700K to £750K. It will only rise above the million mark if the "add-ons" are activated, i.e. he is sold on for a big profit, he gets a full England cap while at Coventry or the Sky Blues get promotion.

I am pleased that Taundry is steadily improving, though, as he is one I tipped to look out for! :D

Point taken, but its only a matter of time . :wink:
I love to read your reserve match reports its gives great insight on our youngsters, you were spot on with Taundry as you were with Dann, and I know you think very highly of Sansara .
I think Taundry will be very special given time .

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:57 am

Duke wrote:Scott Dann was the first £1million player for Walsall , mark my words Richard Taundry will be the second.

The latest Rothams /sky book lists him as £800 grand I think

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:49 pm

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Fat Controller wrote:
kevin wrote:Anyone know the exact format of the Emulsion Cup ?

How many rounds / teams left etc.

TYIA

Although there are 8 teams left in the Southern Section they now sub divide the Southern Section into a South East and South West section to save on long journeys - we are in the South West section.They also sub divide the Nortern Section into the North East and North West section.So there are now 4 teams in each sub section.
We can therefore only be drawn against either Bournemouth,Shrewsbury or Swindon.

Cue Bournemouth away in the draw on Saturday morning !

Suits me - although from a travel point of view Swindon would be a real result for me. :wink:

Although looking at the rules for the draw, the split between East and West is only for the first two rounds - so we can draw any of the seven remaining sides in the South section.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:43 pm

I'll post what I put on football forums

I went last night, and for the first 15 minutes or so, Cheltenham dominated. If that was their reserve team then they should be first team. Twice the team we played last season. They kept the ball well, we just couldn't get near them. They took the lead after 4 minutes which was sloppy defending by Roberts, which gave them a tap in.

Then we finally woke up, and started keeping the ball ourselves. We kept creating chance after chance but just couldn't score.

Second half, we picked up where we left off, and finally the equaliser came through Jabo. Well taken header. Then with about 15 minutes to go we took from a header by Ricketts off a superb delivery by Palmer.

The funny part of the night was the Cheltenham chavs to our right. About 4 of them got kicked out. It was funny when the bloke got very angry when we chanted "You fat b@st@rd" to his son (who was wearing a Man Utd shirt ) as they were being kicked out.

Overall, at times I thought Cheltenham were a very decent side at times, kept the ball well, just created nothing.

We deserved the win, how we only scored 2 i'll never know.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Wyrley_saddler wrote:I'll post what I put on football forums

I went last night, and for the first 15 minutes or so, Cheltenham dominated. If that was their reserve team then they should be first team. Twice the team we played last season. They kept the ball well, we just couldn't get near them. They took the lead after 4 minutes which was sloppy defending by Roberts, which gave them a tap in.

Then we finally woke up, and started keeping the ball ourselves. We kept creating chance after chance but just couldn't score.

Second half, we picked up where we left off, and finally the equaliser came through Jabo. Well taken header. Then with about 15 minutes to go we took from a header by Ricketts off a superb delivery by Palmer.

The funny part of the night was the Cheltenham chavs to our right. About 4 of them got kicked out. It was funny when the bloke got very angry when we chanted "You fat b@st@rd" to his son (who was wearing a Man Utd shirt ) as they were being kicked out.

Overall, at times I thought Cheltenham were a very decent side at times, kept the ball well, just created nothing.

We deserved the win, how we only scored 2 i'll never know.

Ill second that. I am actually starting to believe this team can achieve something. When we seem like nothing is going our way despite the domination we seem to try and try again, a plan B if you like. Something that Richard Money very rarely had. I thought Taundry played well last night but I still dont think hes found his rightful position. We need to drop nicholls and play Reich (he prefers it on the left wing) even when he came on last night he showed he had a football brain and can make someting out of nothing.

Must congratulate Percie for biggest laugh of the night. When Deeney came on he started shouting "Shearer. Shearer" :mrgreen:

Well worth the journey. Just 4 games til wembley and 33/1 is tempting.

Roll on Saturday

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:10 pm

Kiansmom wrote:

don't agree with me, will only get you in trouble :mrgreen: Never seems as hungry or as bothered as Jabo and he did miss a clear cut chance, still I'm a woman what do I know :wink:

I hope you did the ironing as soon as you got back

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:47 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
Kiansmom wrote:

don't agree with me, will only get you in trouble :mrgreen: Never seems as hungry or as bothered as Jabo and he did miss a clear cut chance, still I'm a woman what do I know :wink:

I hope you did the ironing as soon as you got back

I used to like you :wink:

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season