Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Cheltenham Town (A) JP Trophy 2nd Round Tuesday 7/10/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
ws3
Glitterati

Re: Cheltenham Town (A) JP Trophy 2nd Round Tuesday 7/10/08.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm

Stu wrote:Yeah, stoppage time goals for each team. I thought it was at Swansea, but that link says it was at Bescot.

Definitely at home.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:44 pm

See you all at Wembley :D

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 pm

We just got a mention - Go Neil !

Glitterati

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:49 pm

Brilliant win - great to see Ibhere and Ricketts scoring. Been a while since we had a decent goal-scoring partnership.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 pm

tape66 wrote:See you all at Wembley :D

Might need to avoid Shrewsbury in the draw - 7 - 0 winners at Wycombe :!:

Michal
UTS Regular

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Well done, and Ibehre didn't get yellow card. Another positive thing for the future.

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:57 pm

In relation to a previous thread on the "opposition players having a go at Ishmel" - did you notice that when he came on as a sub (67 minutes) he was fouled three times in his first six minutes on the field, one of which earned the Cheltenham player a booking. It really does look as though he is becoming a marked man, and opponents are trying to provoke a reaction from him based on his previous performance.

Fair play to Ishy though, he kept his cool tonight!!!

Following the BBC live teletext for the match, it would appear that the only things Rene had to do tonight were:

(a) Take goal kicks, and the occasional free kick.
(b) Pick the ball out of the net after 4 minutes

So..... when's :roll:

matt3454

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:06 pm

We still have never been to Wembley have we?

I seriously would not want to draw Shrewsbury.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:08 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
tape66 wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Can't believe WM can't be broadcast over t'internet when they have it live on radio anyway... still, at least I dont have to listen.

Can't you receive WM where you live ? Have I just been wooshed ?

Yes, but the radio is in the living room, and I cor be bothered to move it. TV is on in there and I cant imagine wife being impressed at me turning it up loud enough to hear in here.

Don't you do wireless headphones in Whittington mate? With mine I can listen anywhere in the house, no matter where the radio is.

Alternatively, haven't you got a pocket radio?

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:18 pm

We've got to fancy our chances now I think, the final 8 teams left for the Southern Section are as follows;

Walsall, Brighton, Bournemouth, Luton, Dagenham, Colchester, Salop and Swindon.

You've got to put us down as potential favourites from that group based on current form.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Sounds like we battered em. I cant see why we cant win this, trip to wembley would be nice.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Just got back from the match which was an excellent away trip for many reasons - I was back home by 10.30, it only cost a tenner to get in, the entertainment put on by the local inbred morons was fantastically funny, the facilities and legroom at Whaddon Road were excellent, the linesman and referee failed to spoil the match despite both making their best efforts to do so, oh and Walsall won in a game they were losing - always the best way to win I think.

It was an excellent performance by the lads, Jabo and Ricketts caused their defence problems all evening, Hughes was excellent and Mattis was even better, Taundry, Gerrard, Boertin and Palmer were all solid and the latter's dead ball delivery was superb and Roberts despite having a mare for their goal was also otherwise solid.

The two odd men out were Gilmartin, who literally had nothing to do all night (apart from pick the ball out of the net after Roberts error gave him no chance), but still contrived a "calamity James" moment after which he went to pot and Nicholl's who was the worst outfield player by a country mile. Sorry to say he barely seemed able to control the ball or make a pass to a Walsall player. Once he was replaced with Ishy our attacking threat increased massively.

I am not sure what the shots on target totals were but I would guess they were about 6 to 1 in Walsall's favour. Cheltenham looked like a Martin Allen team, lots of huff and puff, but carried very little threat. Their two best chances both came from Walsall errors.

Once again special mention has to go to the three Cheltenham fans that were thrown out, especially the little fat one wearing a Man Utd top - they were absolutely priceless. I doubt if they had a brain cell between them.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 pm

Just got in, great result. More Saddlers there than I expected.

They had one shot on goal against the run of play and scored. Anyone know when Ince is due back? Gillmartin flapped too many times!.

Ref was poor but not as poor as his assistant that couldn't resist flagging for offside almost every time we got forward. Thought Ricketts had a poor game apart from his goa and what has happend to Nicholls?

kevin
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Anyone know the exact format of the Emulsion Cup ?

How many rounds / teams left etc.

TYIA

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:22 pm

PJD wrote:Just got back from the match which was an excellent away trip for many reasons - I was back home by 10.30, it only cost a tenner to get in, the entertainment put on by the local inbred morons was fantastically funny, the facilities and legroom at Whaddon Road were excellent, the linesman and referee failed to spoil the match despite both making their best efforts to do so, oh and Walsall won in a game they were losing - always the best way to win I think.

It was an excellent performance by the lads, Jabo and Ricketts caused their defence problems all evening, Hughes was excellent and Mattis was even better, Taundry, Gerrard, Boertin and Palmer were all solid and the latter's dead ball delivery was superb and Roberts despite having a mare for their goal was also otherwise solid.

The two odd men out were Gilmartin, who literally had nothing to do all night (apart from pick the ball out of the net after Roberts error gave him no chance), but still contrived a "calamity James" moment after which he went to pot and Nicholl's who was the worst outfield player by a country mile. Sorry to say he barely seemed able to control the ball or make a pass to a Walsall player. Once he was replaced with Ishy our attacking threat increased massively.

I am not sure what the shots on target totals were but I would guess they were about 6 to 1 in Walsall's favour. Cheltenham looked like a Martin Allen team, lots of huff and puff, but carried very little threat. Their two best chances both came from Walsall errors.

Once again special mention has to go to the three Cheltenham fans that were thrown out, especially the little fat one wearing a Man Utd top - they were absolutely priceless. I doubt if they had a brain cell between them.

Was going to post a bit on the game having just got back - but that's pretty much spot on. We always had too much quality for them (although tonight that was more a reflection on them than us - this was only an average Walsall performance at best). The early goal knocked us back and gave them something to hang on to, but we had decent chances in the first half and it was always just a matter of time until we turned it round.

I would like to emphasize just how amusing their fans were to watch, though. Much more fun than the match at times!

aaaae
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:23 pm

kevin wrote:Anyone know the exact format of the Emulsion Cup ?

TYIA

Looks like we are down to the last eight in the Southern section - wahoo we're in the quarter finals!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:23 pm

TYIA

16 teams left now (8 north, 8 south). So three more wins and we're going to Wembley (techincally, I think the area final is two legs so it's not quite that simple).

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:31 pm

Southern section

Brighton v Leyton Orient (5 4 on pens)
Cheltenham v Walsall 1-2
Gillingham V colchester 0-1
Hereford V Swindon 1-2
Luton v Brentford (4-3 on pens)
MK dongs V Bournemouth 1-2
Peterborough V dag and Red 0-1
Wycombe V shrewsbury 0-7

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:34 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
tape66 wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Can't believe WM can't be broadcast over t'internet when they have it live on radio anyway... still, at least I dont have to listen.

Can't you receive WM where you live ? Have I just been wooshed ?

Yes, but the radio is in the living room, and I cor be bothered to move it. TV is on in there and I cant imagine wife being impressed at me turning it up loud enough to hear in here.

Don't you do wireless headphones in Whittington mate? With mine I can listen anywhere in the house, no matter where the radio is.

Alternatively, haven't you got a pocket radio?

:mrgreen: Just realised I have "wireless" speakers sitting right next the the PC that can be used in most things - never thought of those :mrgreen: Whens the next game :lol:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:28 pm

Stu wrote:We've got to fancy our chances now I think, the final 8 teams left for the Southern Section are as follows;

Walsall, Brighton, Bournemouth, Luton, Dagenham, Colchester, Salop and Swindon.

You've got to put us down as potential favourites from that group based on current form.

Absolutely spot on. We are the highest placed team out of all 8 left. If we get a home draw it would be even better.
Personally, I would fear no one from those 7 at home.
I am amazed at the bookmakers odd on this as well. I had us at 40-1 before tonights match with William Hill.
We are now 33-1 top with stan james and bet direct.
Why are Brighton 16-1??? Colchester 20-1??? Swindon 20-1??? Shrewsbury 28-1???
And the most unbelieveable of them all!!! Luton at 20-1????
Are you telling me Luton have a 13 times better chance of winning this then Walsall??????
Luton who have won 3 matches in 9 starts in a league below us.........
Is this a gift from the bookmakers to all us Walsall fans!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Percie
Glitterati

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 pm

Kiansmom wrote:Thought Ricketts had a poor game apart from his goal

Yow been in the pub all day? I thought he was outstanding, some of his runs off the ball were top class, you can see hes played at a higher level!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:14 am

Percie wrote:

Yow been in the pub all day? I thought he was outstanding, some of his runs off the ball were top class, you can see hes played at a higher level!

Shes a woman! They dont look for runs of the ball silly! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:50 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:She's a woman! They don't look for runs off the ball, silly! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Spoken like a true misogynist, Sheff! I hope that you've got your tin hat on! :D :D

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:14 am

Quality game, dominated from start to finish,

Gilmartin - lol
palmer - quality cross for the goal, did ok throughout
roberts - big early mistake - quality after that
gerrard - did well
pauly b - good solid game
Nicholls - needs to come out of the side now, the chaps not a winger and
hughes - broke up everything, kept the ball and gave it to a black shirt, simple
mattis - all over the pitch, hpe we can keep him fit
taundry - best i've seen him play - won everything, the first goal was all about him and his quality
jabo - ran his nads off, showed some good skill at times, missed a few chances but put his goal away nicely
ricketts - agree with most of the above, didn't have a great game but at times showed glimpses of quality - did he really score, looked an o.g to me?

asbo - scared them by doing what a winger should do, running the line and crossing - chnaged the game when he came on
reich and deeney - only had a few mins, did ok

aaaae
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:18 am

Percie wrote:

What was particularly great from my point of view was that he looked hungry, we all know he has has the quality, that is not in question, but last night he really put himself about and was looking for the ball all night. Given this was the JP trophy at a virtually empty stadium he could well have switched off. I think this is a really good sign for the coming season. Also his taunting of the Cheltenham morons when he scored was class! I think that's what tipped the female moron over the edge.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:42 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Percie wrote:

I thought he was fairly poor apart from the goal too. He was playing far too deep. Dropping off into the gap between Jabo and the midfield is a good thing, but ending up between the defence and midfield and picking up the ball from Gerrard with nothing ahead of him isn't good.

Still, he did score - and that's four goals in seven starts. Can't ask for much more than that, even if he was to spend the rest of the games mooching around doing nothing at all.

Fat Controller

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:57 am

TYIA

Although there are 8 teams left in the Southern Section they now sub divide the Southern Section into a South East and South West section to save on long journeys - we are in the South West section.They also sub divide the Nortern Section into the North East and North West section.So there are now 4 teams in each sub section.
We can therefore only be drawn against either Bournemouth,Shrewsbury or Swindon.

Cue Bournemouth away in the draw on Saturday morning !

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 am

Fat Controller wrote:

TYIA

Although there are 8 teams left in the Southern Section they now sub divide the Southern Section into a South East and South West section to save on long journeys - we are in the South West section.They also sub divide the Nortern Section into the North East and North West section.So there are now 4 teams in each sub section.
We can therefore only be drawn against either Bournemouth,Shrewsbury or Swindon.

Cue Bournemouth away in the draw on Saturday morning !

Suits me - although from a travel point of view Swindon would be a real result for me. :wink:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:04 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Percie wrote:

I thought he was fairly poor apart from the goal too. He was playing far too deep. Dropping off into the gap between Jabo and the midfield is a good thing, but ending up between the defence and midfield and picking up the ball from Gerrard with nothing ahead of him isn't good.

Still, he did score - and that's four goals in seven starts. Can't ask for much more than that, even if he was to spend the rest of the games mooching around doing nothing at all.

don't agree with me, will only get you in trouble :mrgreen: Never seems as hungry or as bothered as Jabo and he did miss a clear cut chance, still I'm a woman what do I know :wink:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:17 am

Very pleased with the result , we must be clear favourites to win our section .
Spoke to sotv this morning he went last night and reckons Taundry was outstanding reminded him of a young David Beckham.

Wembley here we come :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season