Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Hereford United (Away) League 1 Saturday 4/10/8

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Re: Hereford United (Away) League 1 Saturday 4/10/8

Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:57 pm

big baz 1 wrote:Willy nilly , rach, kiansmom i love that bloke off the police academy that does the sound effects :wink:

:mrgreen: You mean Michael Winslow, Baz. 8)

Thanks for the laughs yesterday. Far better entertainment than that on the pitch. :D

Just for you, mate. (others can watch also, though) :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlnxzWBMW-k[/youtube]

And.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDI4yZ44WJM[/youtube]

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:33 am

Graydon48 wrote:The game was summed up after about 10 seconds.
Ball passsed back to Palmer who slices it into touch That seemed to set the tone for the rest of the game.
In fact from that point we should have all gone home we wouldn't have missed anything.

I hope that Palmer just had an "off" day, and will be better next game.

Was it me, or did no-one else notice that Palmer was EXTREMELY poor all game on set pieces? In the second half alone, we had four corners in a 10 minute period, and all four were abysmal from Palmer. He also wasted a free kick from a good position. It was as though he had lead in his boots!!

Poor game, and i really hope they pick it up for next week if we want to get a result

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:32 am

swiftyboy wrote:
Graydon48 wrote:The game was summed up after about 10 seconds.
Ball passsed back to Palmer who slices it into touch That seemed to set the tone for the rest of the game.
In fact from that point we should have all gone home we wouldn't have missed anything.

I hope that Palmer just had an "off" day, and will be better next game.

Was it me, or did no-one else notice that Palmer was EXTREMELY poor all game on set pieces? In the second half alone, we had four corners in a 10 minute period, and all four were abysmal from Palmer. He also wasted a free kick from a good position. It was as though he had lead in his boots!!

Poor game, and i really hope they pick it up for next week if we want to get a result

Set pieces were poor on the whole - which was a shame as the ones that did get past the first man looked to be our best chance of scoring. We're obviously going for the near post flick-on a lot this season (which is fair enough as it's incredibly difficult to defend against and we've already scored at least one goal from it) and that does risk the first defender cutting it out and heading it away more than you might like, but it was getting a bit ridiculous on Saturday. Once you've failed to beat the first man three times in a row, it might be worth swinging one in to the back post just to make sure that the other side do have to do some defending.

benbo85

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:39 am

i feel for nicholls, he literally forgot how to play football. i've never seen anything like it, big shout for taundry, he's going to be some player

Tarka
UTS Regular

Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:40 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:A dull game by the recent standards, Walsall probably the better side, but 0-0 was about right. They battled well without creating much - we had the better chances (mainly from corners) but not much else tro shout about.

Funniest moment, when a certain person realised one of the children he "cares for" at the school he works at may have witness him being a leary drunk who was amorous towards police dogs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Still, he made a good fist of it :mrgreen:

It wasnt me

Me neither

If you wore pants they'd be on fire.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:43 am

Poor performance.

Hereford played 5 across midfield at times, and as with other teams that have done the same to us this season, we struggled to play any decent football.

Ricketts didn't look interested, he could be 100 times better if only he tried that bit harder.

We failed to adapt our game all afternoon, Hereford were woefully slow at the back, and all we had to do was utilise the pace of Jabo and Ricketts to break them down, but we didnt do that once.

Jabo did get past his man at one point, and got through on goal, only to be brought down, but the ref bottled what was a red card by the letter of the law and ended up not even booking the player.

Ive read some of the comments on this thread, and people who are congratulating Nicholls and Taundry really need to open their eyes. Nicholls had a very poor game - our midfield wasn't seeing much of the ball, and that affected his game, and he just didnt have the fight in his belly to make a difference. Taundry is never a winger, I have my doubts as to whether he's a midfielder at all, but he struggled all match long on the right, didn't get forward enough, crossing was decent though.

My point about Taundry and Nicholls is that they were the weak link in the last game, Nicholls had a decent game against Carlisle, but can anyone honestly say that Taundry and Nicholls are better than playing Ish and Zaboob on the wings? Really? Really?

Taundry and Nicholls fluffed 5 good chances between them against Hereford. Taundry is technically a very good player, but lacks the mobility [pace + movement] of a good winger. Nicholls has the mobility but struggles to cross or shoot well.

I really think our team would be stronger with Ish and Zaboob in there, especially now Jimmy seems to have sorted out our defence. Both Ish and Zaboob have the mobility and the technical qualities to cross and shoot well, which in tight games like at Hereford mean the difference between winning and drawing.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:59 am

philthesaddler wrote:Poor performance.

Hereford played 5 across midfield at times, and as with other teams that have done the same to us this season, we struggled to play any decent football.

Ricketts didn't look interested, he could be 100 times better if only he tried that bit harder.

We failed to adapt our game all afternoon, Hereford were woefully slow at the back, and all we had to do was utilise the pace of Jabo and Ricketts to break them down, but we didnt do that once.

Jabo did get past his man at one point, and got through on goal, only to be brought down, but the ref bottled what was a red card by the letter of the law and ended up not even booking the player.

Ive read some of the comments on this thread, and people who are congratulating Nicholls and Taundry really need to open their eyes. Nicholls had a very poor game - our midfield wasn't seeing much of the ball, and that affected his game, and he just didnt have the fight in his belly to make a difference. Taundry is never a winger, I have my doubts as to whether he's a midfielder at all, but he struggled all match long on the right, didn't get forward enough, crossing was decent though.

My point about Taundry and Nicholls is that they were the weak link in the last game, Nicholls had a decent game against Carlisle, but can anyone honestly say that Taundry and Nicholls are better than playing Ish and Zaboob on the wings? Really? Really?

Taundry and Nicholls fluffed 5 good chances between them against Hereford. Taundry is technically a very good player, but lacks the mobility [pace + movement] of a good winger. Nicholls has the mobility but struggles to cross or shoot well.

I really think our team would be stronger with Ish and Zaboob in there, especially now Jimmy seems to have sorted out our defence. Both Ish and Zaboob have the mobility and the technical qualities to cross and shoot well, which in tight games like at Hereford mean the difference between winning and drawing.

Depends what you want really. JM has "sorted out our defence" largely because Mattis coming back gives more mobility (than Taundry) in midfield, giving Hughes the freedom to sit deeper, and allows Taundry to help out the defensively weak Palmer on the right. (Roberts getting fit and up to speed has also been a major contributory factor.)

I can't see how you could play Ishmel and Zaaboub (or one of them and Nicholls) on the wings (especially with Hughes - who isn't the most mobile, so can't get across to cover in front of the full backs - in the middle) as you'd be looking at virtually no shielding in front of the defence and we'd concede loads of goals. Indeed that's what happened at the start of the season when Nicholls and Zaaboub played wide. There's no point in sacrificing defensive solidity (and we've still not got that sorted) for a small improvement going forward - you only have to score one goal more than the opposition, not as many as possible. Sending two potentially creative, but lazy wingers out could make the difference between drawing and losing just as easily as between winning and drawing.

I don't think that Taundry's a midfielder either, but at least he gives it a bit of shape out on the right, always puts 100% in and is pretty good at keeping possession of the ball. For the moment I'd stick with him and Palmer down that right flank (although I'd like to see them the other way around). I'm with you on Nicholls, though, He had a good game against Carlisle, but it was the only one I've seen him have all season - and he was downright poor on Saturday (and has been more often than not). He does work hard, but he's simply not a winger - and since he's a striker rather than a full back (like Taundry) you don't even get the benefit of decent cover in front of Boertien from him. I'd play either Ishmel or Zaaboub ahead of him if they can be trusted to have a decent attitude.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:07 pm

Agreed with PH , Wingers need to track back and cover the full backs time and time again Zaaboub and Ishmel have shown they are not prepared to do that , Taundry does and I thought did it brilliantly against Carlisle.
We have better option on the right than Nicholls in Riech or Palmer once Weston's ban is completed.
Last edited by Duke on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm not in favour of this spangled idea of having 1 winger and 1 midfielder tucked in on the flanks, if only because it means you're very one dimensional. You know the tucked in midfielder won't offer much going forward, its Taundry in our case and puts a lot of pressure on the winger to deliver. For the opposition, it means you only really need to concentrate on the winger, as if you shut him down, then you've shut down the option and you know the other flank won't offer a huge threat. We're then resorted to banging it long, which is what we ended up doing on Saturday by all accounts!!! What makes it worse is that we're not even playing a winger, we're playing a striker on the wing and its evident.

If Carlisle was Nicholls' best game of the season, then he must have been very poor as I thought he was okay against Carlisle, but nothing special as his final ball was still way short.

The other problem we've got, or at least from what I saw against Carlisle, is that both strikers have this tendency to drop deep or pull out wide. I lost count of the number of times that i saw Jabo with the ball having pulled out wide, only to see Ricketts sitting deep because the ball had gone to Ricketts. Or to see Ricketts on the ball in a central deep position, but Jabo out on the flank. There were multiple times when neither striker was in the box when we were in the attacking 1/3, that was not made up by the midfielders flooding the box as only really Mattis appeared to get forward out of the midfield.

At a bare minimum, we should be playing a winger on the wing. Ideally, we should be looking at finding a player who can play on the right hand side as a winger, whilst also being capable of doing his job for the team defensively. But then again, I'd argue that was the case pre-season.

And I'm not whinging, we avoided defeat and got a clean sheet which is good, its constructive criticism.

supersaddlerjonny17

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:59 pm

I was annoyed with the perfromace from the lads in all honesty. They made us play their way and, as a result, it ended in a stalemate. Thought Taundry was quality, whilst, for me, Hughes, Mattis & Rickkets were non existant! Roberts & Gerrard were a class act at the back but i thought Palmer's delivery is woeful!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:15 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Poor performance.

Depends what you want really. JM has "sorted out our defence" largely because Mattis coming back gives more mobility (than Taundry) in midfield, giving Hughes the freedom to sit deeper, and allows Taundry to help out the defensively weak Palmer on the right. (Roberts getting fit and up to speed has also been a major contributory factor.)

I can't see how you could play Ishmel and Zaaboub (or one of them and Nicholls) on the wings (especially with Hughes - who isn't the most mobile, so can't get across to cover in front of the full backs - in the middle) as you'd be looking at virtually no shielding in front of the defence and we'd concede loads of goals. Indeed that's what happened at the start of the season when Nicholls and Zaaboub played wide. There's no point in sacrificing defensive solidity (and we've still not got that sorted) for a small improvement going forward - you only have to score one goal more than the opposition, not as many as possible. Sending two potentially creative, but lazy wingers out could make the difference between drawing and losing just as easily as between winning and drawing.

I just think it's a waste having two very skillful wingers in the squad in Ish and Zaboob and not using them on the wings. I see your point about defensive cover, but its simply a matter of building it in to their game. Nicholls doesnt really bother tracking back that much. I'd be tempted to play Weston instead of Palmer because he's better defensively and will actually head the ball. It doesnt help at the moment we playing with 2 defensively frail wing backs in Boertien and Palmer

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:21 am

philthesaddler wrote:I just think it's a waste having two very skillful wingers in the squad in Ish and Zaboob and not using them on the wings. I see your point about defensive cover, but its simply a matter of building it in to their game. Nicholls doesnt really bother tracking back that much. I'd be tempted to play Weston instead of Palmer because he's better defensively and will actually head the ball. It doesnt help at the moment we playing with 2 defensively frail wing backs in Boertien and Palmer

I agree about Nicholls - and I'd like to see Ishmel (or maybe Zaaboub if he's interested) play instead of him, not least because they're left footed. You're right about Weston too, and when he returns from suspension there'll definitely be less need for extra cover in front of him than there is with Palmer there. Boertien didn't look too frail to me on Saturday. He still seems to be improving with every game and I reckon he's almost back to last season's form now.

I'd actually like to see Reich come back into the team somewhere - and he looked more dangerous on the left than the right earlier in the season. I'd be tempted to bring Weston and Reich in for Palmer and Nicholls on Saturday.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:24 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:I'd actually like to see Reich come back into the team somewhere - and he looked more dangerous on the left than the right earlier in the season. I'd be tempted to bring Weston and Reich in for Palmer and Nicholls on Saturday.

Didn't go to Hereford but from what I've seen of the players so far, the team you suggest could well be our strongest.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:A dull game by the recent standards, Walsall probably the better side, but 0-0 was about right. They battled well without creating much - we had the better chances (mainly from corners) but not much else tro shout about.

Funniest moment, when a certain person realised one of the children he "cares for" at the school he works at may have witness him being a leary drunk who was amorous towards police dogs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I can confirm that working at primary school in wednesfield this afternoon that it was me that was spotted by a child i teach being drunk at hereford 8) :oops:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:00 pm

big baz 1 wrote:

I can confirm that working at primary school in wednesfield this afternoon that it was me that was spotted by a child i teach being drunk at hereford 8) :oops:

Hilarious.... it was another UTSer I was reffering to, but hey, if the cap fits :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:06 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:

Hilarious.... it was another UTSer I was reffering to, but hey, if the cap fits :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol: :mrgreen: the child said to me this afternoon " mr webb was you drunk at hereford?i saw you , you was wearing a white nike hoodie top " yes mate i replied 8) :oops:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:23 pm

big baz 1 wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:

:lol: :mrgreen: the child said to me this afternoon " mr webb was you drunk at hereford?i saw you , you was wearing a white nike hoodie top " yes mate i replied 8) :oops:

You should have said "It is were you drunk at Hereford" and given him a BBB.

I wonder if the other UTSer got "found out"

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:37 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:

You should have said "It is were you drunk at Hereford" and given him a BBB.

I wonder if the other UTSer got "found out"

I'm not in until after the half term! WOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cheers BARRY, you took the knife for me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season