Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 27/09/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Michal
UTS Regular

Re: Carlisle United (H) League One Fixture - Saturday 27/09/08

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Good result. Well done lads, it has to be good sign for the future.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Really good performance.

Jabo once again worked hard, and got a deserved goal. Hughes and Mattis looked good, Taundry started poorly but picked up in the 2nd half.

Nicholls did well, Gerrard and Roberts were superb.

The game was only spoiled by the refereeing.

Firstly, the ref was far to eager to play advantage, he clearly didnt understand the rules concerning playing advantage. At one point, Nicholls stole the ball from his marker and started running with it down the line, the opponent grabbed hold of Nicholls to stop him getting away, Nicholls wriggled free, but the opponent still had hold of his shirt ... and the ref waved advantage at first, before bringing it back. There's no advantage, 30 yards inside your own half, when you've already been tugged back, and your still being held :shock:

There were two challenges - one on ricketts, and one on ish, that were sending off offences, if you go by the rules of the Brighton game, yet they both got yellows in this game.

And the linesman on the Bankss stand side... Oh my god, worst linesman i've ever seen. He gave the penalty, which was dubious given how far he knocked the ball past Clayton, the ball was out of play by the time Clayton made contact. The ref didnt see anything wrong, but the lino did.

Then, whilst trying to run down the clock, Jabo gets penalised for doing nothing wrong. That guy simply didnt know the rules. Jabo was penallised for obstruction. The rule in question is that obstruction is only obstruction if the player is not in control of the ball. Jabo had his foot on the ball. Simply ridiculous decision.

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:55 pm

Great result today ,against a team that I'm sure will be in the mix at the end of the season.
What impressed me most is we played as a TEAM .
Jabo was immense,but I also thought Nicholls had a very good game.
Well done Clayton on the Penalty save.
Good to hear the fans sing Mullens name and he waved at us :D :D
Bring on Hereford....

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:08 pm

Taundry was poor today for me, whats happened to reich?

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Echoing what everyone so far has said - great team performance.

It would've been interesting to see how the game would've turned out, had the penalty been scored. For me, it wasn't a penalty either so justice was done. As said above, the player wasn't in control of the ball and it was out of play when Ince made (minimal) contact.

I also think it would've been interesting had we not scored the goal just before half time. We'd been pretty much dominant, aside from the odd counter attack and could've been 4-5 up. But in the end, we did get the goal our efforts justified.

As usual, it wasn't plain sailing, and we had to endure another nervy 10-15 mins at the end. But I don't think there's any doubt we deserved to win.

Jabo and Roberts the stand out men for me, closely followed by Gerrard, Hughes, Mattis and Ricketts. Ince did what you expect him to do, and we were solid on the flanks. Boertien and Palmer were steady (although some of Palmer's set pieces were exceptional) and i'm slowly being won over by Taundry and Nicholls, despite not being a particular fan of either.

Can't say I was particularly enamoured by the officiating either.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:41 pm

I am shocked. Don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I didn't realy think we'd have a chance against Carlisle, a draw at best. But how I was proved wrong. The first half we completely dominated and looked very comfortable. Took the lead just before half time through a great header from Mattis. I think Mattis like the 44th minute, 2 weeks in a row now :wink:

After a dominant first half, the second was more even. Jabo deservedly got on the score sheet with a well taken goal. Carlisle attacked in the latter stages which was expected, but I thought we coped very well with the pressure.#

Major talking points:
First penalty - I think it was. Clayton hesitated, then didn't take the ball and caught the man. Great save to redeem his error.
Second penalty - From where I was I thought it was out the area, but I couldn't realy see the lines. Plus I thought our player (can't remember who it was) took the ball.
The linesman on the WBBS stand side - he was crap, simple as. He seemed to have it in for us, and Jabo especially.

My man of the match was Alex Nicholls. Thought he was superb today, deserved a goal, and he was a threat to Carlisle most the game.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:44 pm

[quote="bleed_red_n_white"]Taundry was poor today for me, whats happened to reich?[/quote
Was we watching the same game ? thought he played really well today.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:50 pm

Wow, I can't remember a game that we dominated so much in a long time. Make no mistake, Carlisle are a decent team, but we reduced them to hoofing until the last 10 mins. I thought the first was a penalty, but a great save to make up for his error by Clayton. I have to say that I am really enjoying the style of play under Mullen (he is proving me wrong thus far). We are playing as a team, attacking, and with confidence. I thought Nicholls was a close second for MOTM and Jabo probably deserved it. Tuandry did well until the last 15 when he misplaced a few passes. The only thing I would have done differently was make the subs 5 mins earlier. Ricketts has a good game, but had given up running 5-10 mins before being subbed. Jabo never stops! Also, Ince deserves a mention for his pen and another fine save in the second half, but also for commanding his area and taking the ball early when required.

Top team performance, a well deserved 3 points and my mind is almost made up for a trip to Hereford... now just have to convince the wife!

UTS

Ps - Nice to meet Exile, albeit briefly - he talks a bit funny though, are we sure he is English :mrgreen: :wink:

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:22 pm

For about 70 minutes, that was as good as I've seen us play for a few years.
Through the middle of the team, we've got quality. My concern was that the wide players would allow Carlisle to get into too many dangerous crossing positions. How wrong I was.

Ince - was let down badly by his defence for the first penalty, but saved well. Routine (by his standards) catches and saves were dealt with excellently.

Palmer - did okay but has an irritating habit of not getting tight enough to his man and letting him turn without any pressure every time. Having said that, he made himself available for the ball a lot and generally did pretty well with it.
Gerrard - standard no frills solid defending with the composure Championship clubs look for.
Roberts - the same as above to be fair to him.
Boertein - poor defending in the build-up to their first penalty but was fairly solid after that. Offered the required experience behind Nicholls.

Nicholls - I thought he was a bit inconsistent as the younger players tend to be, but did really well for Mattis's goal which is what matters.
Hughes - really calm performance where he just kept things neat and tidy whilst doing his share of defending when needed. Looks even better in the middle of the park with Mattis alongside him.
Mattis - looks like he makes a massive difference to the way we play. Won a lot in the air, was willing to make breaking runs into the box and flicked that header in superbly. There can't be many better partnerships at League One level in midfield than Mattis and Hughes.
Taundry - worked really hard and never gave their midfielders any time on the ball. Usually has a habit of doing the hard stuff before making a sloppy pass, but didn't display too much of that today.

Ricketts - didn't look at all at the races in the first half, but played really well in the second. The way he linked up with Jabo for the chance Jabo put just wide in the second half was a joy to watch, and he just held the ball up really well.
Ibehre - absolutely class again. His chance conversion rate is the only reason he's playing for us because every other aspect of his game is top notch. Took his goal really well and gave their defenders an absolute nightmare. I hope he's got enough space for the crates of Banks's he keeps winning. :D

If we play like that every week, we'll be in the top 6 at least. And the bonus factor is that we still have a top class defender to come back into the side.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:29 pm

Ince - great sace with the 1st penalty, i didn't think the 2nd was any good but Ince went the wrong way that time.

Palmer - I was really surprised with him, I never rated him to highly but today was very very impressive, got forward well and defended well.

Gerrard - Same Old Gerrard, not much was gonna get past him today.

Roberts - Brilliant performance today, very very solid with Gerrard, Carlisle were never gonna score through open play with Gerrard & Roberts at the back.

Boertien - Decent performance, just got on with it, I thought he got forward more today which was positive

Taundry - I thought he was absolutely superb today, showed so much passion, got forward well, defended well and was unlucky not to go in on goal.

Hughes - Steady performance, didn't waste anything. Simple stuff.

Mattis - Took his goal brilliantly, him and hughes look the part in centre midfield

Nicholls - Drifted in and out of the game but when he was in he looked quite dangerous, still would rather have Reich

Ricketts - Brilliant link up play, classy touches, for me he was to unselfish at times and sometimes drifted to far back. But chase everything down, was involved a lot in the game. Good Performance.

Ibehre - Deserved him MOTM and deserved his goal, chased everything down. The ball sticks to his feet like glue. A few fantastic long range efforts. He is a real signing.

Overall, one of the best performances I have seen us play in a while and deserved all 3 points.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Urgent, pacy, passing football. Lots of individual skill but a team who's sum was also greater than its parts.

A joy to watch and a well deserved three points.

Very difficult to pick a man of the match - Jabo is amazing but then Ince had a very powerful game too.

I think it fair to say that Nicholls has well and truly shown those that labelled him too light-weight - he went in 50:50 with many players far bigger than him today and came away with the ball. He really is going to be a star (or a meal ticket for Bonser).

Just what the doctor ordered - a great Walsall display, three points and some poor refereeing and a nail-biting end to boot.

UTS

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:44 pm

First half was the best football that I've seen from a Walsall team for some time. Slick, lots of movement with Jabo a great focal point. he allows others to play off him with some style. As someone said earlier, the spine with Gerrard/Roberts, Hughes/Mattis and Jabo/Ricketts is pretty impressive. Some work elsewhere and we're in good shape. Thought Taundry did well and both he and Nicholls support the full backs really well. Joy to be there today.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Another excellent performance today. Carlisle will be involoved in the shake-up at the end of the season, but take away the two penalties (which were more due to our frailties that anything they did) and they barely had a sniff of a chance today. Roberts looked a real defender for the first time (that I've seen) today and would have been my man of the match. Gerrard was his usual self alongside him and they kept Dobie and Graham (a top class front two at this level) out of the game entirely. Ince was also excellent behind them (the decision making for the first penalty excepted). Palmer had as good a game defensively as I've seen yet and Boertien is slowly getting back to the level he was at last season (although he's still not there yet).

Central midfield two looked a class apart. There won't be many that are as good as those two in League 1 this season - and it can't be a coincidence that the three match winning run has coincided with Mattis' return. I'm still far from convinced that Taundry and Nicholls are wingers, but they were industrious and played a big part today (especially Nicholls, who put a quality ball in for the first goal). Whether they can take hold of games that are bogged down in the centre and win them for us remains to be seen, but when the central two dominate like they did today then hard work and keeping the shape in enough out wide.

Up front Ibehre was his usual self. Big, awkward and a centre half's nightmare. Deserved his goal (and possibly needed it if his confidence is as fragile as the Orient fans tell us), although man of the match was a bit of a reach for me! Ricketts was a bit quiet, but his attitude looked right - which is the main thing as his quality will shine through in other games if he remains interested.

Despite what people were saying at the game, the first penalty was absolutely nailed on. Guy nicked it past Ince (who ought to have collected comfortably if he hadn't hesitated) and was taken out. Personally I seriously doubt that the ball was out of play before contact was made, but even if it was I'm not sure that stops it being a penalty. If a midfielder nicks the ball away from an opponent near the sideline and it goes out over the sideline, but then he's taken out late then I'm sure a free kick can be given. Second penalty looked (albeit from a distance) like a foul. A soft, stupid foul on a player going nowhere, but a foul nonetheless. The only question is whether it was inside the box or not.

Yet more evidence that we're going to be a lot of fun to watch this season - and that we can do it while competing at the top end of the table. Carlisle are a decent team, make no mistake, and this win off the back of the two away wins sets us up nicely coming off what looked (on paper) to be a pretty tricky few weeks. January's going to be the make-or-break time - just like it was last season. And this time round there can't be any doubt that we are ready to make that big push and no keeping the powder dry for next season. Gerrard has to be retained come what may, and the squad ought to be filled out to try to ensure we do get to the play-offs. If (and it is a big, big if) that happens, I'd hope that'd answer some questions and bring us all together again for the last few months of the season - and hopefully a trip to Wembley (or, better yet, edging Leeds or Leicester out of the top two, like we did to Man City all those years ago).

boringteacher
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:58 pm

I haven't posted for ages as the bickering on the board post-January got pretty irritating tbh. Like many on here, the actions of Bonser damaged my love for the team, and if I hadn't already done the Early Bird, I'd have probably become a stay away like many of those on here. Like them, I'm torn between supporting the only team I can ever love and putting more money into Bonser's pension fund. I've got absolute respect for the position of the stay aways.

At the start of the season, I expected us to struggle and probably get relegated. None of the early games changed that until last week and now today. Listening to last week, I was as gripped as in any game for seasons by the effort of the lads. This week, they played the most attractive footie I've seen at the Bescot since that brief false dawn under Merscum at the end of his only full season "in charge". Being realistic, we are still probably only 50/50 to even get to the playoffs at best (as a fat middle aged science teacher, I reckon that even I'd have a chance of outpacing our defence). But Mullen has got them actually trying to play football! Mattis/Hughes & Ibere/Ricketts + big Clayton all are exceptional quality for this league - Good luck to the man, he has earned his chance to manage us and I for one intend trying to forget the leach at the top for the rest of the season and to support the team I love.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:01 pm

Can't believe a couple have dissed Taundry. I thought him and Nicholls played their hearts out today. Carlise didn't like it "up 'em" and thats exactly what our forward line and wingers did today.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:09 pm

Carlisle are one of those benchmark teams for me - they are likely to be top six, skilful, strong and well organised. Last season at home we about matched them, one good half each. This season I think we came out on top, and the result proved that. Way better in the first half, probably about even in the second half, even with the officials playing for them. Great team performance, great and deserved win - but I'm left with a sour taste in my mouth because of atrocious decisions by the referee and the linesmen, especially, as others have said, the complete waste of air and food that was running the line in front of the WBBS. Even his referee looked aghast at him at times.

I can just about understand how the first penalty was given but the second was a travesty - our guy got the ball, and it was outside the area. Our players meanwhile were getting mugged - especially Jabo, who was rugby tackled at one point, only to be penalised himself, then when he hustled the Caslisle defender in the second half, the defender threw himself to the ground and conned the ref, stopping Jabo when in on goal. He was jumped on, cropped and generally abused for most of the game. Nothing doing, awful decision making. Then Ishy was flattened on his first raid forward, and the Carlisle player looked lucky to get away with a yellow. Meanwhile I struggle to recall a bad tackle from a Walsall player all match. To come out of that still looking like the better side and still with all the points speaks volumes for the skill, organisation and sheer team spirit displayed by Walsall.

Doffer was right last week in suggesting that this would be a real test of our pedigree, and we passed with flying colours - with some luck on injuries, suspensions and through the transfer window, this is a team with play off potential - and not just scraping in either.

Jabo was fantastic, again - really, really deserved that goal. Taundry had the best game I've seen for Walsall. Apart from the first penalty, on which he redeemed himself, Clayton was faultless and rock solid. Mattis I think is a classy player, and alongside Hughes looks part of a very strong partnership. Palmer is lethal on crosses and corners - his delivery is excellent. But this wasn't so much about individuals as a real team performance - we looked greater than the sum of our parts. Good manager, this Jimmy Mullen bloke.

And absolutely Cheesebag - I found myself during the match muttering that immortal Dad's Army phrase - Carlisle really didn't like it up 'em, and they got an awful lot up them and at them today.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Good game today, just one slight concern about tactics, when you want to close a game out i dont think ishy is the man to 'kill' the game, lol

Louise
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:23 pm

Maybe the way Mullen shoved Ishy down the tunnel at the end to avoid him getting into any more ructions will make him realize that!

Jockey
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:27 pm

Couldnt make it today but great result from the boys. That result may have just woken a few people up and made the league realise we might actually be a force.

however theres a long way to go...

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:42 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Can't believe a couple have dissed Taundry. I thought him and Nicholls played their hearts out today. Carlise didn't like it "up 'em" and thats exactly what our forward line and wingers did today.

Ditto, I thought Taundry covered just about every part of the pitch today, he does make mistakes, sometimes not releasing the ball quick enough and ending up trying to get past two or three of the opposition. I suppose that it is his blind spot, he will get better and he reminds me a little of Ian Paul who was a similar tough tackling and tenacious player with a terrific shot albeit a little more accurate than Taundry today :oops:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:17 pm

Cully wrote:
Cheesebag wrote:Can't believe a couple have dissed Taundry. I thought him and Nicholls played their hearts out today. Carlise didn't like it "up 'em" and thats exactly what our forward line and wingers did today.

Ditto, I thought Taundry covered just about every part of the pitch today, he does make mistakes, sometimes not releasing the ball quick enough and ending up trying to get past two or three of the opposition. I suppose that it is his blind spot, he will get better and he reminds me a little of Ian Paul who was a similar tough tackling and tenacious player with a terrific shot albeit a little more accurate than Taundry today :oops:

I agree, I thought Taunds did well until the last 10-15 mins. Nicholls was great throughout IMHO.

Percie
Glitterati

Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:25 pm

Well well well. What a game!

We really are playing as a team again. Special mentions for Hughes and Roberts, at times they really did look a class above. If we can keep these two fit for the majority of the season, I seriously think we'll be looking at a fruitful season. I was quite impressed with Taundry as well, I don't particularly see him as a right winger and nor is he but the amount of running he got through today just emphasises Mullen’s choice to pick him every week. His work rate is second to none and his attitude is spot on. I was especially happy with the intent that Nicholls played with. Every time he got the ball there was a sense he would make something happen. Brilliant ball in for Mattis' goal too. All that was missing from his performance was a goal. The front two were amazing. Jabo's strength and pace is a joy to watch, for the first time in weeks he got himself in a few scoring positions and defiantly deserved his goal, although it looked slightly scuffed. You get exactly what you expect with Ricketts. Some people think hes lazy but personally I don't see it. He worked tirelessly today and really worked hard to unsettle defenders leading to a number of gaps in their defence for the midfielders to exploit.

Let me be the first to say the atmosphere was awsome today! The second I walked in the ground I felt it, the togetherness. Thats something I haven't really felt since Swindon away last May. I looked around the ground and noticed there were a few more fans in the ground compared to say, the first home game of the season. It seems we're starting to win some fans back, which I suppose is what you get when you win 2 away games in a row and long may it continue!

I said I'd judge Mullen's team after the first 10 games, I won't tempt fate and comment just yet but I really do genuinely think, although its early and we do have a relatively small squad , that come Christmas we'll still be there or there abouts.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:26 pm

Excellent performance, playing football the way its meant to be played - on the floor, pass-and-move. For me, we have three of the best pairings in the division in Roberts - Gerrard (utterly solid and committed), Hughes and Mattis (intelligent, combative and assertive) and Ibehre and Ricketts (strong and effective). Really enjoyed the game.

I met Saigon and Exile too. Still, the game was excellent as I say. :mrgreen:

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:40 pm

Nicholls was the big plus for me today he terrified there defence today everytime he cut in with real pace, they just hoofed it anywhere, but on the whole what a great team performace today, weston coming back will only make us stronger too!

UTS!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:56 pm

King Crimson wrote:Excellent performance, playing football the way its meant to be played - on the floor, pass-and-move. For me, we have three of the best pairings in the division in Roberts - Gerrard (utterly solid and committed), Hughes and Mattis (intelligent, combative and assertive) and Ibehre and Ricketts (strong and effective). Really enjoyed the game.

I met Saigon and Exile too. Still, the game was excellent as I say. :mrgreen:

You poor thing. I had to endure the torment of having a drink with saigon after the game.

SWS1

Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Whoo! Hoo!
I like the sound of all this! :D

Maverick
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:44 am

I just want to echo a few of the plus points from today,
Roberts.Best performance to date.
Nicholls.Great to see him starting to build his confidence again.
Taundry.All over the place, in your face type performance.
Ricketts.Yes I agree doesn't seem to run around too much,but with his skill and the likes of Jabo & Mattis close by to exchange short passes with,who needs to run. :wink:

The chance each that Nicholls and Taundry had in the first half seemed to scare them to death,a goal soon for both will enhance their performances another notch imo.

Great team performance.
Negatives for me,
Ishy.Surely this man has had enough chances,and I am sick of hearing..oh he is just a young lad who needs guidance and an arm round his shoulder.There are lots of teenagers that break into pro football who handle 'The Big Time',he obviously cannot.Harsh maybe but he is too much of a liabilty.

And the queue in bar(yes one bar only)needs sorting. :lol:

UTS

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:06 am

Maverick wrote:I just want to echo a few of the plus points from today,
Roberts.Best performance to date.
Nicholls.Great to see him starting to build his confidence again.
Taundry.All over the place, in your face type performance.
Ricketts.Yes I agree doesn't seem to run around too much,but with his skill and the likes of Jabo & Mattis close by to exchange short passes with,who needs to run. :wink:

The chance each that Nicholls and Taundry had in the first half seemed to scare them to death,a goal soon for both will enhance their performances another notch imo.

Great team performance.
Negatives for me,
Ishy.Surely this man has had enough chances,and I am sick of hearing..oh he is just a young lad who needs guidance and an arm round his shoulder.There are lots of teenagers that break into pro football who handle 'The Big Time',he obviously cannot.Harsh maybe but he is too much of a liabilty.

And the queue in bar(yes one bar only)needs sorting. :lol:

UTS

Forgot to mention Ishy. Bad tackle on him, but will he ever learn? The guys a liability. I am sure the oppossion know this by now, he could actually have got sent of for his reaction yesterday.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:49 am

Superb team performance , every player played his part. Can't believe some are knocking players after a performance like that , for 70 minutes we totally dominated .
Both penalties were a little harsh , Ince boobed for the first one but his save up made for that , Roberts and Ibehre outstanding . Hughes and Mattis brilliant , Ricketts in the second half was a joy to watch .
Agreed with Cheesebag Nicholls and Taundry both excellent .
As for the linesman on the WBBS side what a complete inept idiot every decision he got wrong .

and to make our day complete JM waved at us :D nice to see our manager get a little recognition from the F2G faithful

Zaddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:43 am

Just out of interest can anyone confirm if Jabo has been awarded Man of the Match every game this year? If so, I hope it still isn't a crate of Bank's

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season