Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Carlisle United (H) League 1 Saturday 27/09/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: Carlisle United (H) League One Fixture - Saturday 27/09/08

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:50 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQXo9-k-fNA[/youtube]

Post edited for the youtube.com version to get the You tube screen visible.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:52 am

Zaddler wrote:Just out of interest can anyone confirm if Jabo has been awarded Man of the Match every game this year? If so, I hope it still isn't a crate of Bank's

Well, for starters Asbo was M.O.M against Safrend.... and yes it is still a pack of Bonks's for the M.O.M in the Swifts lounge. The M.O.M that you hear called out over the tannoy gets whatever the match sponsors donate. Asbo got a bottle of Champagne

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:20 am

:mrgreen: , brilliantly timed commentary on that.

Very impressive team performance yesterday, solid, hard working and plenty of quality on display from the team. As said by others, the performances of Taundry and Nicholls were great to watch.

decent atmosphere too.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:37 am

Zaddler wrote:Just out of interest can anyone confirm if Jabo has been awarded Man of the Match every game this year? If so, I hope it still isn't a crate of Bank's

Ishmel took home the crate of Banks's after his hat-trick against Southend.

Other than that though, Jabo's won the man of the match award in each of our other 4 home games. What a signing he's been.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:00 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

Ishmel took home the crate of Banks's after his hat-trick against Southend.

Other than that though, Jabo's won the man of the match award in each of our other 4 home games. What a signing he's been.

There appears to be an echo in here today :wink: :D

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:38 am

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:Echoing what everyone so far has said - great team performance.

It would've been interesting to see how the game would've turned out, had the penalty been scored. For me, it wasn't a penalty either so justice was done. As said above, the player wasn't in control of the ball and it was out of play when Ince made (minimal) contact.

I also think it would've been interesting had we not scored the goal just before half time. We'd been pretty much dominant, aside from the odd counter attack and could've been 4-5 up. But in the end, we did get the goal our efforts justified.

As usual, it wasn't plain sailing, and we had to endure another nervy 10-15 mins at the end. But I don't think there's any doubt we deserved to win.

Jabo and Roberts the stand out men for me, closely followed by Gerrard, Hughes, Mattis and Ricketts. Ince did what you expect him to do, and we were solid on the flanks. Boertien and Palmer were steady (although some of Palmer's set pieces were exceptional) and i'm slowly being won over by Taundry and Nicholls, despite not being a particular fan of either.

Can't say I was particularly enamoured by the officiating either.

I've seen the penalty(s) on the Championship this morning and it appears I may have been wearing my rose-tinted spectacles when commenting yesterday. For me, the first was a definite penalty - the player had knocked the ball passed Ince, but not as far as I first thought. It was clearly still in play when the contact was made.

The second i'm still less than convinced about. I was too far away to judge at the time, so I can only go by what I saw on the Championship. It was certainly in the box but the reaction to any contact (of which i'm not convinced there was any) was delayed to say the least.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:54 am

I was probably as close to the first penalty incident as anyone and can conclusively say that it wasn't a penalty. There was 'contact' but football is not a non-contact sport. Clayton pulled out of the challenge and the player stuck his leg out to make sure he tripped over him. Horrible Premier League-style cheating which the linesman would have seen. Unfortunately, it appears the lino had never seen a football match before, let alone officiated in one, so a pen it was. Justice was done both in terms of Ince's save and the overall result.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:34 pm

saddlerken wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQXo9-k-fNA[/youtube]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with the Motson wannabe.

Michal
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:34 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:The second i'm still less than convinced about. I was too far away to judge at the time, so I can only go by what I saw on the Championship. It was certainly in the box but the reaction to any contact (of which i'm not convinced there was any) was delayed to say the least.

It seems no one was close enough, and I don't know who fouled in this situation. I have three names: Taundry, Mattis or Gerrard, so maybe someone knows whose foul caused the second penalty?

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Michal wrote:
Four Oaks Saddler wrote:The second i'm still less than convinced about. I was too far away to judge at the time, so I can only go by what I saw on the Championship. It was certainly in the box but the reaction to any contact (of which i'm not convinced there was any) was delayed to say the least.

It seems no one was close enough, and I don't know who fouled in this situation. I have three names: Taundry, Mattis or Gerrard, so maybe someone knows whose foul caused the second penalty?

If there was contact (and it looks dubious on the TV) then I think it must have been Mattis. Gerrard was shepherding him across and Mattis seemed to dive in across AG. I'm not sure he made much contact (although he certainly didn't get the ball), but it gave the guy an excuse to go down.

First one still looks nailed on on TV. Football might not be a non-contact sport, but contact between the keeper's arms and a striker's legs isn't allowed. It wasn't the best angle to see if the striker left his leg in, but he's under no obligation to try to avoid contact (although actively seeking it by moving his leg into Ince does stop it being a foul).

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:12 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:First one still looks nailed on on TV. Football might not be a non-contact sport, but contact between the keeper's arms and a striker's legs isn't allowed. It wasn't the best angle to see if the striker left his leg in, but he's under no obligation to try to avoid contact (although actively seeking it by moving his leg into Ince does stop it being a foul).

From where I was sat (front of middle tier Floors2Go, directly 'above' the incident, it looked like a clear penalty. Indecision between Ince and defender, Ince 'gets there as soon as he could', the ball has gone, he clips the player, player falls over - pen. If it had been Carlisle's Williams in goal and Jabo the striker, we'd have gone bananas if a penalty wasn't awarded, in my view.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:19 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:First one still looks nailed on on TV. Football might not be a non-contact sport, but contact between the keeper's arms and a striker's legs isn't allowed. It wasn't the best angle to see if the striker left his leg in, but he's under no obligation to try to avoid contact (although actively seeking it by moving his leg into Ince does stop it being a foul).

From where I was sat (front of middle tier Floors2Go, directly 'above' the incident, it looked like a clear penalty. Indecision between Ince and defender, Ince 'gets there as soon as he could', the ball has gone, he clips the player, player falls over - pen. If it had been Carlisle's Williams in goal and Jabo the striker, we'd have gone bananas if a penalty wasn't awarded, in my view.

That's my view too in truth. I didn't get the impression (from the centre of the lower F2G) that contact was initiated by the striker, but someone suggested it might have been the case further up the thread.

Bottom line for me is that if Ince had been decisive (either in coming for the ball or retreating to his line) rather than hesitating for far too long then there would've been no penalty and probably no danger.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:39 pm

Graydon48 wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:Taundry was poor today for me, whats happened to reich?

Was we watching the same game ? thought he played really well today.

Yes I thought he played well too, kept hold of the ball and put in some good passes.

Pedro
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 28, 2008 4:01 pm

Have to say that was the best team performance for a long time, not one player had a poor game or average game.

The team have a great spirit and togetherness, something w ehave not had since the Graydon days. We may have some big name players in Reich,Hughes and Ricketts etc but they help the young players.

We have taken on one of the best sides in this division and out played them yesterday. We have beaten Southend and Scunnie both early season favourites, got a cracking result at Yeovil,Bristol and Brighton. I just hope our boys keep doing it and all the press talk about the so called big teams like they always do , then little Walsall come from now where and nicjk the play off spot

Yesterday made me happy to be a Walsall fan, and like Percie said there is a togetherness again fell around the place, I'm going to Hereford next saturday even though I cannot really afford it, to support the lads, we have something good happening and I want to be a part of it

UTS

SWS1

Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:59 pm

It cheeses me off that we get so few mentions in the media. When we beat Brighton, I read or heard or saw loads about Brighton losing to 9 men, but most of the "commentators" didn't even mention it was us!
Like that girl from Walsall who won the two golds at the paralympics - they keep mentioning she now lives in Swansea (for the training pool) but, if they mention it all (which they rarely do), she's "from the Midlands". :x Grrr!

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:29 pm

First pen was nailed on, think ince just did it to show off xuz was crazy the way he stopped waited for the cahp to get the ball then dived at his legs but great save big man

great team performance, best home game of season by miles, thought we were flattered by sarfend scoreline but looked the real deal yesterday

3 special mentions

the first 2 i have always liked as players but have taken a bit of stick of others, Taundry and Nicholls, both showed what they can do today, Taundry is a little tiger and has a great will to win, so much better now he's not in the middle of the park, and nicholls i think could be a big big player for us in the futre, played quality yesterday

the other is chris palmer

for whatever reason i took a dislike to palmer from the first time i saw him play, seemed to be a hoof merchant who couldn't defend and all his passes went astray. Yesterday he played very very well, got a sweat left foot, did everything he had to defensivly and didn't waste a pass. Well done that man and will be happy to eat my words if you keep it up

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:05 pm

saddlerJP wrote:the other is chris palmer

for whatever reason i took a dislike to palmer from the first time i saw him play, seemed to be a hoof merchant who couldn't defend and all his passes went astray. Yesterday he played very very well, got a sweat left foot, did everything he had to defensivly and didn't waste a pass. Well done that man and will be happy to eat my words if you keep it up

I'll assume you were buying a pie when he overhit a 'cross' by about 30 yards and it went for a throw in. I think he did OK, his corners were generally good and he defended better than I've seen him defend before. He still gets caught out of position more than Weston though. But, without picking the nits, he did well yesterday.

addo
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:55 pm

Yesterdays goals are on Saddlersworld now.

Viewing the first penalty from the family stand yesterday I thought that there was little or no contact and the Carlisle player milked it a bit.
Why would Ince need to take him out in that position ? He was going nowhere.

The ref seemed to think the same way - it was the linesman that gave the penalty.

On the video footage though I think it looks more clean cut.

The second looks a nailed on penalty
Player was moving a little too quick for the challenge.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Forgot to mention Ishy. Bad tackle on him, but will he ever learn? The guys a liability. I am sure the oppossion know this by now, he could actually have got sent of for his reaction yesterday.

I was right above that challenge. Now I ay a violent person but if somebody had put in a challenhge like that on me I'd have knocked them into West Brom. That kind of assault would get you a stretch if you did that on the street.

What a fantastic game! Even during our promotion season under Money I never thorougly enjoyed a game as much as yersterdays. Just shows you don't need boring 10 men behind the ball rubbish to be successful. I said to Cueball that I would've hated to have to pick a MOTM yesterday. I thought all 11 were superb.

The day was even better for my mate, and occasional UTS poster, Over The Moon. His fiancee was down London with her best mate who just happens to be John Wards daughter. How he enjoyed texting the score and "Wardy Out" messages to them :mrgreen:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:00 pm

PJD wrote:Walsall 2 - 1 Carlisle

Jimmy Mullen to cry :cry: :cry: :cry: :D

Did Jimmy cry?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:January's going to be the make-or-break time - just like it was last season. And this time round there can't be any doubt that we are ready to make that big push and no keeping the powder dry for next season. Gerrard has to be retained come what may, and the squad ought to be filled out to try to ensure we do get to the play-offs. If (and it is a big, big if) that happens, I'd hope that'd answer some questions and bring us all together again for the last few months of the season - and hopefully a trip to Wembley (or, better yet, edging Leeds or Leicester out of the top two, like we did to Man City all those years ago).

Fingers very firmly crossed for that!

addo
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:19 am

Just read John Wards post match comments.

Is he really English ? It reads like this has gone through a free language translator. :D :D

http://www.carlisleunited-mad.co.uk/new ... &id=409496

HKSaddler
the "fececious" one

Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:17 am

addo wrote:Just read John Wards post match comments.

Is he really English ? It reads like this has gone through a free language translator. :D :D

I think just transposing most football managers/footballers words is a mistake. Someone needs to edit them slightly when adding them to a web site. What might sound OK (not great) on the radio looks horrendous on the page. It does read like a stream of consciousness poem though.

Over The Moon
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:15 pm

tinned wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Forgot to mention Ishy. Bad tackle on him, but will he ever learn? The guys a liability. I am sure the oppossion know this by now, he could actually have got sent of for his reaction yesterday.

I was right above that challenge. Now I ay a violent person but if somebody had put in a challenhge like that on me I'd have knocked them into West Brom. That kind of assault would get you a stretch if you did that on the street.

What a fantastic game! Even during our promotion season under Money I never thorougly enjoyed a game as much as yersterdays. Just shows you don't need boring 10 men behind the ball rubbish to be successful. I said to Cueball that I would've hated to have to pick a MOTM yesterday. I thought all 11 were superb.

The day was even better for my mate, and occasional UTS poster, Over The Moon. His fiancee was down London with her best mate who just happens to be John Wards daughter. How he enjoyed texting the score and "Wardy Out" messages to them :mrgreen:

The only problem is now that i can't stay at John's apartment in Carlisle for the return game :wink:

concretehippo

Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:53 pm

SWS1 wrote:Like that girl from Walsall who won the two golds at the paralympics - they keep mentioning she now lives in Swansea (for the training pool) but, if they mention it all (which they rarely do), she's "from the Midlands". :x Grrr!

But if they did mention it everyone would wonder why a girl from Poland was in the British paralympics team. :wink:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:35 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Mind you, Sky just showed a replay from the opposite angle and it backs Registered's argument up: the guy definitely did move his foot into Ince (who otherwise didn't look like he would have made contact) for the first penalty. On the other hand, the second penalty looked like a clear trip from the angle they showed.

Decent little chat about us on the programme too.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:46 am

Jabo makes team of the week.

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 44,00.html

very well deserved .

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:44 am

The interesting bit about that interview is that they had singled Boertein out as our weak link. I have to admit, defensively, I think he's looked as if he lacks a bit of sharpness so far this season.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:49 am

WFC_Rob wrote:

The interesting bit about that interview is that they had singled Boertein out as our weak link. I have to admit, defensively, I think he's looked as if he lacks a bit of sharpness so far this season.

Definitely - but he missed the whole of pre-season so that was only to be expected. He's been getting back towards where he was last season with every passing game and I can't see him being a problem in the longer term.

Weston's been a bit the same too - and having three games enforced break is only going to set him back a bit again.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season