Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton And Hove Albion (A) League 1 Saturday 20/9/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Re: Brighton And Hove Albion (A) League 1 Saturday 20/9/08.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

It wasn't popular (and that's an understatement) that Dann and Fox were sold off last season, that Ricketts wasn't resigned after his loan (though that may have been agents), and that DD left. BUT - I think it would be hard to argue that the board of this club (despite being very tight and concerned to run this club like a successful business, delivering a dividend for their investment) has not invested effectively in the playing side for this season, and appointed a management team which has the capability to motivate and organise the players. It has also invested in long term income generation, training facilities and youth development. Given that evidence of long term, hard nosed commitment, I can't see what the beef is - we have business people running the club, who want to turn a return on their investment, and see their loans paid back, but this club is in a position to be successful this season - to achieve a play off place, which any of us would consider to be a good outcome to the season. I can't say that I have any problem with the people who run this club - they're awful at PR at times, but the facts suggest that they know how to run a successful football club despite modest attendances and limited scope for growth. Fine if you want to do something else with your money and time, and if you have other things in your life - but there appears to me to be little basis for protesting.

Quite surreal win today - one to go down in the history books. Team spirit must be rock solid right now.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:Todays result will not get me to go next week , plus i couldnt go even if i wanted to as i am going to old trafford to watch man ure v bolton

I'm sorry but i'm when i say this i'm not trying to be rude, it doesn't bother me that people on here don't go to games because they do other things and that because it's their own choice, but for the past month or so every single game, there has been at least 10 people giving reasons has to why they can't go because they feel they have to because people call them ' stayaways '. At the end of the day i couldn't care less why people don't wonna go to games and i don't think many others do, but it's really annoying when people go on and on about why they don't wonna go.

That may be annoying to YOU, but it's equally annoying to US to get the snide comments every week. If we didn't get them, we'd not find a need to respond.

The answer is really simple.

Ye but if you didn't make it soo exclusive that you don't go to Walsall games no more then maybe people wouldn't say anything.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:37 pm

fensaddler wrote:It wasn't popular (and that's an understatement) that Dann and Fox were sold off last season, that Ricketts wasn't resigned after his loan (though that may have been agents), and that DD left. BUT - I think it would be hard to argue that the board of this club (despite being very tight and concerned to run this club like a successful business, delivering a dividend for their investment) has not invested effectively in the playing side for this season, and appointed a management team which has the capability to motivate and organise the players. It has also invested in long term income generation, training facilities and youth development. Given that evidence of long term, hard nosed commitment, I can't see what the beef is - we have business people running the club, who want to turn a return on their investment, and see their loans paid back, but this club is in a position to be successful this season - to achieve a play off place, which any of us would consider to be a good outcome to the season. I can't say that I have any problem with the people who run this club - they're awful at PR at times, but the facts suggest that they know how to run a successful football club despite modest attendances and limited scope for growth. Fine if you want to do something else with your money and time, and if you have other things in your life - but there appears to me to be little basis for protesting.

Quite surreal win today - one to go down in the history books. Team spirit must be rock solid right now.

That is the best post I have read on here in a long time fensaddler.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:42 pm

fensaddler wrote:It wasn't popular (and that's an understatement) that Dann and Fox were sold off last season, that Ricketts wasn't resigned after his loan (though that may have been agents), and that DD left. BUT - I think it would be hard to argue that the board of this club (despite being very tight and concerned to run this club like a successful business, delivering a dividend for their investment) has not invested effectively in the playing side for this season, and appointed a management team which has the capability to motivate and organise the players. It has also invested in long term income generation, training facilities and youth development. Given that evidence of long term, hard nosed commitment, I can't see what the beef is - we have business people running the club, who want to turn a return on their investment, and see their loans paid back, but this club is in a position to be successful this season - to achieve a play off place, which any of us would consider to be a good outcome to the season. I can't say that I have any problem with the people who run this club - they're awful at PR at times, but the facts suggest that they know how to run a successful football club despite modest attendances and limited scope for growth. Fine if you want to do something else with your money and time, and if you have other things in your life - but there appears to me to be little basis for protesting.

Well put fensaddler I agree completely.........

PS I dont know what the 'beef' is either and are tired now of reading minority posts from stayaways. Quite simple why they are still reading this site is beyond me.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:45 pm

Awesome result today. Couldn't believe we'd get anything out of it when Weston got sent off, let alone when Sansara joined him. I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights later in the week.

Six points from what looked like potentially tricky away games in successive weeks represents an excellent return and more than makes up for the disappointing performance against Orient (who pushed Leicester to the wire today). Let's hope that we can back it up with another win at home next week and propel ourselves up into the play-offs (ok, I know it's early days - but it'll feel good).

Surely can't be a coincidence that the last two weeks have coincided with the return to the side of several key players. I'm still a bit worried about possible inconsistency with such a small squad - but I definitely think we can match up against anyone in this League and feel we have a fighting chance.

Final word, could we try not to use every win as a chance to get in a few digs at people who don't want to go or disagree with the way the club is run? There's plenty of opportunity for that elsewhere and it's going to take (much) more than a few weeks for JB to convince people - let's just enjoy a fantastic result for what it is! :wink:

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:47 pm

I'm sure the people you refer too can answer for themselves, but it seems every time they do answer you they get vilified for explaining their actions !

Anyone is entitled to stay away and not spend their money on the club, but still remain a fan and wish to know whats going on with the team. Is that so hard for some people to grasp ?
It won't be long at the rate things are going up at St Jimmy's before more people turn their back on the toon and stay away till there's a change. I'll wager they will still read the local rag for info and be on the toon websites though !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:51 pm

1966 wrote:

PS I dont know what the 'beef' is either and are tired now of reading minority posts from stayaways. Quite simple why they are still reading this site is beyond me.

Because we are Saddlers' fans (and in my case have been over many many years) we are interested in what's going on with the team. I'm also a Moderator here, how do I carry that function on if I don't read?

My/our issues are with the Chairman, not the team, and it's a serious matter of principle that a few good results does not come close to overcoming. To use your own words, quite simply why you can't understand this by now is beyond ME!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:Awesome result today. Couldn't believe we'd get anything out of it when Weston got sent off, let alone when Sansara joined him. I'm looking forward to seeing the highlights later in the week.

Six points from what looked like potentially tricky away games in successive weeks represents an excellent return and more than makes up for the disappointing performance against Orient (who pushed Leicester to the wire today). Let's hope that we can back it up with another win at home next week and propel ourselves up into the play-offs (ok, I know it's early days - but it'll feel good).

Surely can't be a coincidence that the last two weeks have coincided with the return to the side of several key players. I'm still a bit worried about possible inconsistency with such a small squad - but I definitely think we can match up against anyone in this League and feel we have a fighting chance.

Final word, could we try not to use every win as a chance to get in a few digs at people who don't want to go or disagree with the way the club is run? There's plenty of opportunity for that elsewhere and it's going to take (much) more than a few weeks for JB to convince people - let's just enjoy a fantastic result for what it is! :wink:

Thanks PH, very well put. In fact an excellent post all round.

I'm as chuffed with today's result as anyone, and want to share the joy in that with other members of this site. Staying away from Bescot/The Banks's will never change that, nor is there any reason why it should.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:I'm sure the people you refer too can answer for themselves, but it seems every time they do answer you they get vilified for explaining their actions !

Anyone is entitled to stay away and not spend their money on the club, but still remain a fan and wish to know whats going on with the team. Is that so hard for some people to grasp ?
It won't be long at the rate things are going up at St Jimmy's before more people turn their back on the toon and stay away till there's a change. I'll wager they will still read the local rag for info and be on the toon websites though !

Spot on mate. I wish others would realise, stop baiting us, and we'll all get along very well I'm sure.

WFCNIL

Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:59 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
1966 wrote:

Because we are Saddlers' fans (and in my case have been over many many years) we are interested in what's going on with the team. I'm also a Moderator here, how do I carry that function on if I don't read?

My/our issues are with the Chairman, not the team, and it's a serious matter of principle that a few good results does not come close to overcoming. To use your own words, quite simply why you can't understand this by now is beyond ME!

So stop ponsing around continually posting that you dont care and that you are so happy on a saturday afternoon doing anything but following your team boreing boreing !!!!

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:00 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
1966 wrote:

This is what i mean Geoff, you could easily just ignore people, why would you care what people say about you as long as you know your a Walsall fan, Im certain your a walsall fan, im sure everyone on here is certain you are and you know you are soo just ignore them.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:05 pm

WFCNIL wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
1966 wrote:

So stop ponsing around continually posting that you dont care and that you are so happy on a saturday afternoon doing anything but following your team boreing boreing !!!!

I thnk the best response to you is "GET STUFFED you ignoramus". I don't think your kind of comments are worthy of anything else.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
1966 wrote:

This is what i mean Geoff, you could easily just ignore people, why would you care what people say about you as long as you know your a Walsall fan, Im certain your a walsall fan, im sure everyone on here is certain you are and you know you are soo just ignore them.

Why the hell should I ignore people. Aren't I just as entitled to ask YOU to ignore me and leave me alone. PRICELESS! :shock:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:08 pm

And to all the sensible posters on here, may i just add "Great - no FANTASTIC - win today lads, loved it. Had me on the edge of my seat at home, and I couldn't be more pleased with those three great points."

And to the idiots, I'm going out now, so don't waste your time!

addo
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:12 pm

The Brighton report suggests that we were unlucky with the decisions.

Bizarrely the same ref last season sent two Gillingham players off at Brighton.

http://www.seagulls.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 00,00.html

WFCNIL

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:14 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:
WFCNIL wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:
1966 wrote:

I thnk the best response to you is "GET STUFFED you ignoramus". I don't think your kind of comments are worthy of anything else.

Lol and heres me thinking you were educated ??

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:14 pm

brillant win

how does that song go again ? oh yeah

Super Jim, Super Jim, Super Jim, Super Jim, Super Jimmy Mullen!

Codsall Saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:17 pm

One of the greatest against the odds wins ever. looking forward to more eye witness posts. Thought that when we got key players back we would be able to put a result or two together. I guess the issue is how often we can do that.

Would be interesting to consider other great rearguard performances. I remember going to Port Vale and winning 2-1 after Saunders sent off before half time.

The smell of martyrdom on this board is getting tedious. A great win seen as an opportunity to bitch at each other.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:One of the greatest against the odds wins ever. looking forward to more eye witness posts. Thought that when we got key players back we would be able to put a result or two together. I guess the issue is how often we can do that.

Would be interesting to consider other great rearguard performances. I remember going to Port Vale and winning 2-1 after Saunders sent off before half time.

The smell of martyrdom on this board is getting tedious. A great win seen as an opportunity to bitch at each other.

Some people like fishing... some fish like worms :wink: :D

shrewsbury saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:21 pm

kevin wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:
According to s.o.t.v we were 1 down to Chestyfield in the 70's, had 2 sent off and went on to win 2-1. Not sure when in the game the players got there marching orders though mate

Should imagine Waddington was one of 'em. :D

Waddo..............Waddo.

I remember it now.Iwas there!Waddo did i think,get
sent off.Alan Birch was playing for Chesterfield.One of sendings -off was late.For no more than booting the ball out of the goal after they'd scored late-on,from what I remember.Our train got very badly smashed on the way out.about 1980.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:25 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:brillant win

how does that song go again ? oh yeah

Super Jim, Super Jim, Super Jim, Super Jim, Super Jimmy Mullen!

I think that might be 2 super's

Super, Super Jim, super, super jim, super ,super jim, Super Jimmy Mullen :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:05 pm

WFCNIL wrote:Lol and heres me thinking you were educated ??

I am, that's why I know how to spell big words like "ignoramus" and you can't spell little ones like "boring"!

I suggest we leave it now as it's getting rather silly!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:08 pm

Codsall Saddler wrote:One of the greatest against the odds wins ever. looking forward to more eye witness posts. Thought that when we got key players back we would be able to put a result or two together. I guess the issue is how often we can do that.

Not "at each other" exactly.

We don't start this. We get the digs for no good reason, so we understandably respond.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote: Final word, could we try not to use every win as a chance to get in a few digs at people who don't want to go or disagree with the way the club is run?

Or indeed, use every defeat or poor performance to knock the club/owner and fans who try to be supportive of the club on UTS.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:50 pm

Excellent write-up from WM's Mike Taylor here http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A41202235 following his (as usual) first-class commentary.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:21 am

A truly superb achievement!

Gutted not to have been there to see it - I've suffered the Withdean "experience" before and wild horses wouldn't drag me there again.

Mullen wore his heart on his sleeve in the WM interview - all credit to him.

Hope there is a decent turnout (5000+) next week - this team deserves it.

Question for the faithful 209 - did you see any mods in Brighton?

UTS Legend

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:15 am

moaning saddler wrote:A truly superb achievement!

Gutted not to have been there to see it - I've suffered the Withdean "experience" before and wild horses wouldn't drag me there again.

Well, there you have it. A 'stayaway' (in the broadest sense of the term) who is GUTTED not to have been there!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:41 am

Absolutley fantastic result.

One thing though does puzzle me. Looking at the photos why are we wearing red shorts and socks with the away kit shirt? I thought the away kit was all black?? I cant see any clash with the Brighton kit.

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:13 am

moaning saddler wrote:A truly superb achievement!

Well i know for a fact that MMF and Geoff didn't make it.... I believe Exile is only attending the Carlisle gig.... not sure about the rest of em though

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:17 am

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/3690368.Sorry_Albion_beaten_by_nine_men/

Check the 2nd pic from the left on this story.... "Dean Cox heads over the bar from close range"..... !!!! How the hell did he miss from there :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bless you Dean :lol: :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season