Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brighton And Hove Albion (A) League 1 Saturday 20/9/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Re: Brighton And Hove Albion (A) League 1 Saturday 20/9/08.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:38 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/7614000.stm

There's an interview with Micky Adams and an hour's worth of Brighton fans' complaints on there if anyone is bored and fancies a listen.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:11 am

I, personally believe the "stayaways" (wanting a better word) should steer clear of the match threads. Fair play that you ay going but you lost any right to comment on the games when you started this protest.

comment all you like on the club, but I agree with the other fella - The smell of martyrdom isnt a good one.

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:57 am

Way to spoil a thread, lads!!

After such a superb win, This thread should've been great, and could've been savoured for years to come.

Instead, it'll go down as just another example of the back-biting that goes on around here these days.

Cheers all.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:49 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I, personally believe the "stayaways" (wanting a better word) should steer clear of the match threads. Fair play that you ay going but you lost any right to comment on the games when you started this protest.

comment all you like on the club, but I agree with the other fella - The smell of martyrdom isnt a good one.

SPOT ON, couldnt agree more, were seeing who the real saddlers are now, my opinion is the people who are staying away now because of bonsor should never bother coming back because we dont need them.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:26 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I, personally believe the "stayaways" (wanting a better word) should steer clear of the match threads. Fair play that you ay going but you lost any right to comment on the games when you started this protest.

SPOT ON, couldnt agree more, were seeing who the real saddlers are now, my opinion is the people who are staying away now because of bonsor should never bother coming back because we dont need them.

Oh God, here we go again, get your tin hat on!

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:37 am

big baz 1 wrote:I can understand your confusion , i have never been to old trafford and have always wanted to go

weirdo

TofDover
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:50 am

Uts fans I hav'nt seen Walsall play for thirty years but I still avidley follow the results and write ups . I have took all the jibes from other supporters in the past and I still want Walsall to be successful . You dont have to go to every game to have pride in your team. by the way I travelled far and wide for twenty years before I stopped going and there is life after football Realy

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:51 am

Walsall Loyal wrote:
big baz 1 wrote:I can understand your confusion , i have never been to old trafford and have always wanted to go

weirdo

What's hard to understand ?

Baz is from Dinglehampton originaly... grew up supporting the Gooners as Ian Wright was his favorite player... became interested in Walsall when we had the missfortune to sign Merscum... and has kept his interest in OUR club since meeting a few of us.... Now he wants to watch a game at the best ground in the counrty. Can't say i blame him, fatastic place to watch a game, specially if Utd win.
Hope thats easy enough for you and the others who like to jump on his back all the time to understand :wink:

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:53 am

great result today

Ince- Absoloutley superb commanded his area fantatically and a few great saves aswell. 10/10
Weston- Poor challenge for the sending off, looked like a two footed challenge and it was high aswell so he had to go. 5/10
Sansara- looked very shakey and was caught out of position a few times, although his was definetley not a sending off. 5/10
Gerrard- Fantastic, passion shone through today the best defender in the league when he plays like that played through cramp in the second half, what a performance! 10/10
Roberts- Excellent defensivley played through the second haf with an injury, his commitment and determination was second to none. 9/10
Nicholls- Played really well, started on the left and he frightened the life out of the Brighton defenders when ruun at them with pace 8/10
Mattis- Exceellent header for the goal got stuck in really well and helped the defence out magnificently 9/10
Hughes- Really showed his class when he got stuck in and also was able to beat a few men then clear the ball effectivley. 9/10
Taundry- Started out on the right but changed positions all afternoon and was left back right back and centre midfield throughout the afternoon. 9/10
Reich- Was subbed after the sansara sending off wasnt in the game before that 6/10
Ibehere- Held the ball up very well lots of constant direct running against the whole Brighton defence helped ease the pressure with his abilty to hold the ball up. 8/10

Subs.
Palmer- Supplied the free kick for the goal and was sturdy defensivley all afternoon. 9/10
Boertien- Defended well and helped hold the ball up in the last few minutes 8/10
Deeney- Really helped the team out with his work rate and ran himsel into the ground all game 8/10

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:05 pm

[quote="Ned Kelly]What's hard to understand ?

Baz is from Dinglehampton originaly... grew up supporting the Gooners as Ian Wright was his favorite player... became interested in Walsall when we had the missfortune to sign Merscum... and has kept his interest in OUR club since meeting a few of us.... Now he wants to watch a game at the best ground in the counrty. Can't say i blame him, fatastic place to watch a game, specially if Utd win.
Hope thats easy enough for you and the others who like to jump on his back all the time to understand [/quote]

Such a shame that more people don't possess the wisdom and understanding that you have Ned.

This "if you don't go you're not a fan" and "if you weren't there you can't comment" crap is SO wide of the mark.

Let's all just support or follow in the ways we choose, for each of us it's our own business.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:25 pm

I agree in a way, but some of the abuse the nefarious, cynical, whining traitors have experienced is a bit over the top.

:wink: A joke by the way, so don't bite! :D :wink:

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:13 pm

Walsall Loyal wrote:

weirdo

Jackass

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:27 pm

Saw the seindgins off this morning, westons was a sending off, the ball was off the screen before he clattered into the brighton player.

Sansara's was late, not really a sending off because there wasnt any real intention, but ive seen them given plenty of times.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:11 pm

latviancheese wrote:Saw the seindgins off this morning, westons was a sending off, the ball was off the screen before he clattered into the brighton player.

Sansara's was late, not really a sending off because there wasnt any real intention, but ive seen them given plenty of times.

I agree, having seen them, I saw them as you did.

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Saw the seindgins off this morning, westons was a sending off, the ball was off the screen before he clattered into the brighton player.

It was the refereeing inconstencies that they didn't show. They put the same chellenges in on three or four occasions and the game was never even stopped.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:14 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Saw the sendings-off this morning. Weston's was a sending off, The ball was off the screen before he clattered into the Brighton player.

Sansara's was late, not really a sending off because there wasn't any real intention, but I've seen them given, plenty of times.

I would also agree with the assessment of our East European dairy product. I trust that Jimmy Mullen will deal appropriately with the players for letting their team-mates down. As WS3 says, we would need to see the full match in order to assess the referee.

Btw, did everyone see the reaction of Gerrard to Mattis's goal? Plenty of enthusiasm and commitment there! :D

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I agree Bob, cant help wondering if it contributed to his cramp later on in the game :) Also reminded me of David Pleat's manic celebration dance at Maine Road when Luton beat Man City to stay up and send them down in their place.

Priceless - I imagine the celebrations at the end of the game would have also made good viewings - at least for the Saddlers.

SWS1

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:06 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
belgiansaddler wrote:Boring defensive tactics apparently, still not a bad result I suppose :D

Has DD come back?

Wonder how he's enjoying his new roll after they went down to the hammers today !

Would that be a cheese role or a ham role? :lol:

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:12 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:

And me - although I'd be a bit stronger in defending Sansara. Didn't look more than a yellow card to me. Weston really ought to have known better though.

pco_walsall
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Mike T. wrote:I agree Bob, cant help wondering if it contributed to his cramp later on in the game :) Also reminded me of David Pleat's manic celebration dance at Maine Road when Luton beat Man City to stay up and send them down in their place.

Priceless - I imagine the celebrations at the end of the game would have also made good viewings - at least for the Saddlers.

believe me mate it was great viewing :D
JIMMY MULLENS BARMY ARMY :!:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm

I've only seen the sendings-off once on TV this morning, and I thought Weston's looked rather reckless and could understand the red card, but Sansara's looked like only a yellow to me, nowhere near a red. Strange though that the WM commentator seemed to see them the other way round, so maybe I need to take another look.

Certainly seems the ref was a bit over-zealous anyway.

ws3
Glitterati

Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:31 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I've only seen the sendings-off once on TV this morning, and I thought Weston's looked rather reckless and could understand the red card, but Sansara's looked like only a yellow to me, nowhere near a red. Strange though that the WM commentator seemed to see them the other way round, so maybe I need to take another look.

Certainly seems the ref was a bit over-zealous anyway.

Over zealous doesn't begin to cover it. The prat really had to be centre of attention at all times. The kind of ref that insisted that free kicks be taken from the correct blade of grass. You know the kind. And if you could have seen the arrogant swagger as he was booed off the field (by both sets of fans) you would have wanted to knock him out. And the game was extended by a total of 9 minutes. 6 minutes of which were the longest of my life. Jabbo had to be brought off to save him from his pettiness and Jimmy was close to being sent off for the second time in as many weeks.

How we managed to get anything out of the game under the circumstances was nothing short of miraculaous.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Really??
I'd better delete the posts I've made on this thread then because I didn't go yesterday. :wink:

Seriously, if not being at an event means that commenting on it is forbidden, we might as well shut down half of the message board now.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Fantastic result. I had a rotten day yesterday (long story), but to find out that we'd secured another away win, with nine men, and got a clean sheet to boot was just the tonic I needed.

Just brilliant, and well done to those faithful saddlers who made the journey. One to remember, that.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:23 pm

bleed_red_n_white wrote:

utter, utter rubbish. Why not send a pm to mods suggesting they delete all posts from stayaways on the match threads? No? I see......

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:58 pm

Guest wrote:
moaning saddler wrote:A truly superb achievement!

Gutted not to have been there to see it - I've suffered the Withdean "experience" before and wild horses wouldn't drag me there again.

Mullen wore his heart on his sleeve in the WM interview - all credit to him.

Hope there is a decent turnout (5000+) next week - this team deserves it.

Question for the faithful 209 - did you see any mods in Brighton?

Well, there you have it. A 'stayaway' (in the broadest sense of the term) who is GUTTED not to have been there!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I could have sworn that I've been to 5 games this season :o
Either get some new glasses or treat yourself to a new thesaurus :shock:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:07 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:

Gutted not to have been there to see it - I've suffered the Withdean "experience" before and wild horses wouldn't drag me there again.

Well i know for a fact that MMF and Geoff didn't make it.... I believe Exile is only attending the Carlisle gig.... not sure about the rest of em though

Err, it was a fairly unsubtle pop culture reference for people of a certain age - as in Mod goes off his Rocker in Brighton. :wink:

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:17 pm

I think I see a whoosh coming .... :mrgreen:

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:25 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:I think I see a whoosh coming .... :mrgreen:

As long as it's not an iffy one that's fallen off the back of a lorry then that'll be fine :wink:

UTS Legend

Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:00 am

moaning saddler wrote:
Guest wrote:

Well, there you have it. A 'stayaway' (in the broadest sense of the term) who is GUTTED not to have been there!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I could have sworn that I've been to 5 games this season :o
Either get some new glasses or treat yourself to a new thesaurus :shock:

I'm not suggesting you're the usual 'stayaway' that frequents this board - much more discerning, in fact.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season