Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 13/9/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 13/9/08.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 pm

Yes.

3 points.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Safe now

Well Done Saddlers

latviancheese
Site Addict

almost cack meself when WM said peno.

Ricketts scores.

Top win

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:00 pm

3-1. Ricketts penalty, Rovers player sent-off.

I'm off to change me pants after messing myself when WM announced there was a penalty at the Memorial Ground.

saddla
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:01 pm

bring on Brighton

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:01 pm

Anthony sent off for them too - foul and abusive language - should have read the AUP

supersaddlerjonny17

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:02 pm

latviancheese wrote:almost tat meself when WM said peno.

Ricketts scores.

Top win

Haha, me to mate! Great result though!

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:04 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:The lads will win for my old man.

Up the Saddlers

Amen to that.

Fine win, very pleased with that. I also panicked at the penalty mention :)

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:05 pm

Mullen walked on the pitch :lol:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Mullen got sent off then proceeded to stand in our end and shout instructions, he then got moved to our away seated section and was told by an army of stewards not to shout instructions! lol!

Great win, consistency will be a big test in the next game.

UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:11 pm

Four Oaks Saddler wrote:2-1. A nervous last 10(ish) minutes it is then. :evil:

Seemed more like half an hour to me...

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:43 pm

So funny to read the tactical debate at the start of this thread in the light of what transpired on the pitch. Weston was fantastic, Nicholls caused problems down the right, Ishy came on and did a very good job as sub, Mattis makes a huge difference (which will be huger still when he and Hughes are fully fit), Reich was class (but can't defend). All got a bit last ditch in the second half and there are still improvements to be made, but a very valuable win against a decent side. However, Rovers spent all their money on strikers and left nothing for the defence. I'm so glad that we build a squad carefully without shelling out £350,000 on Duffy, Kuffour and Williams when you can have Jabo and Ricketts for free.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:45 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:So funny to read the tactical debate at the start of this thread in the light of what transpired on the pitch. Weston was fantastic, Nicholls caused problems down the right, Ishy came on and did a very good job as sub, Mattis makes a huge difference (which will be huger still when he and Hughes are fully fit), Reich was class (but can't defend). All got a bit last ditch in the second half and there are still improvements to be made, but a very valuable win against a decent side. However, Rovers spent all their money on strikers and left nothing for the defence. I'm so glad that we build a squad carefully without shelling out £350,000 on Duffy, Kuffour and Williams when you can have Jabo and Ricketts for free.

Damn it must be boring to be you

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:49 pm

latviancheese wrote:Damn it must be boring to be you

Not really. I just enjoyed an excellent game with goals, red cards, bad refereeing and Jimmy Mullen in with the Walsall fans. It really was a lot of fun. I would like people to come on here and continue to argue the point that Rovers built their squad better than we did over the summer - as that's what was repeated ad nauseum during the week - but I don't suppose many will. We're not the finished article, as I stated. But we're just outside the play-offs with the promise of more to come.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Totally enjoyable experience. We were outstanding in the first half, playing some beautiful football, and committed in the rearguard action in the second. There was an argument on here a day or two ago after someone said Ricketts is the best player in this division - but there can be no argument about it when he plays like he did today. Sansara and Taundry kept giving the ball away, but otherwise no complaints today. We even saw this season's most comical Clayton Ince moment so far when he chose to stand in the wall to defend a free kick on the edge of the box.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:04 pm

Brilliant to here such positive reviews. First away win, up to seventh, and an important psychological boost. Now for a clean sheet...

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Jorge14 wrote:Brilliant to here such positive reviews. First away win, up to seventh, and an important psychological boost. Now for a clean sheet...

Amen to all that, brother.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:15 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:We even saw this season's most comical Clayton Ince moment so far when he chose to stand in the wall to defend a free kick on the edge of the box.

We kept it out, though, didn't we?! :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:40 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Not really. I just enjoyed an excellent game with goals, red cards, bad refereeing and Jimmy Mullen in with the Walsall fans. It really was a lot of fun. I would like people to come on here and continue to argue the point that Rovers built their squad better than we did over the summer - as that's what was repeated ad nauseum during the week - but I don't suppose many will. We're not the finished article, as I stated. But we're just outside the play-offs with the promise of more to come.

You just seemed to be having a go at people for having an opinion, and im not one who said rovers have built better than us, god no, alot of their team is so sub standard it hurts.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:03 pm

latviancheese wrote:You just seemed to be having a go at people for having an opinion.

No, that's not what i meant. I get fed up with all the negativity and the build-up to this game was full of people saying how Rovers would win easily because they spent loads of money on strikers and we have "cheap option" Mullen and a "paper-thin squad". If people get their kicks from running the team down week after week then they should be big enough to admit they were wrong on days like today.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 pm

Greta first half, very enjoyable... sat back too much second half. Off out now, post more of a report later.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:11 pm

latviancheese wrote:You just seemed to be having a go at people for having an opinion.

No, that's not what i meant. I get fed up with all the negativity and the build-up to this game was full of people saying how Rovers would win easily because they spent loads of money on strikers and we have "cheap option" Mullen and a "paper-thin squad". If people get their kicks from running the team down week after week then they should be big enough to admit they were wrong on days like today.

I agree, and im suprised we won 3-1,

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:17 pm

Great to hear how well we played. I have always said that I thought that Jimmy Mullen had done a good job over the summer with the players he brought to the club.

Perhaps Weston really is the answer to our problems in central defence; if we could start keeping a few clean sheets then the play-offs might look like a real possibility.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Bernie wrote:Perhaps Weston really is the answer to our problems in central defence; if we could start keeping a few clean sheets then the play-offs might look like a real possibility.

I would guess at the moment that Sansara/Boertien, Roberts, Gerrard, Weston is the strongest set-up; Weston is more than capable in central defence but Roberts was fine today and he just edges out Palmer for my money.

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:04 pm

Brilliant first half, some of the best football I have seen us play for a long time. Hope Gerrard injury wasn't too serious anyone know? Weston was superb MOTM by a mile. Bit more cautious second half, not sure why Jabo was subbed he was doing a great job!

UTS!!

bigbillyofdarlo

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Totally enjoyable experience. We were outstanding in the first half, playing some beautiful football, and committed in the rearguard action in the second. There was an argument on here a day or two ago after someone said Ricketts is the best player in this division - but there can be no argument about it when he plays like he did today. Sansara and Taundry kept giving the ball away, but otherwise no complaints today. We even saw this season's most comical Clayton Ince moment so far when he chose to stand in the wall to defend a free kick on the edge of the box.

As regards to Taundry and Sansara radio WM gave Taundry man of the match closely followed by Weston,and said that Sansara did a solid job considering he hasnt been involved at all the last 2 games.A hearty well done to all the lads,lets keep on supporting them through the good and bad and not pick on certain individuals when they have played well as a team. :)

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:20 pm

Jimmy Mullen is a Saddler!!! So pleased to see him get some recognition at last :wink:

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:25 pm

I made no mention of what Rovers had done with their squad, but said I expected a heavy defeat.

I'm very happy to have been wrong, but as my son said to me when I called him in Cornwall to give him the result, we must be the most inconsistent team in the league at the present time.

I don't think anyone truly expected this today after last week's abysmal game, but if Weston and Mattis can stay fit, maybe we can get some consistency going.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:38 pm

Great win. A more considered response tomorrow as I have supped several pints with a couple of Gas friends in their bar afterwards and I'm not upto it.

A poor turnout though. 300 tops, the lowest I can remember at The Mem in a while.

UTS.

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:40 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:

I made no mention of what Rovers had done with their squad, but said I expected a heavy defeat.

I'm very happy to have been wrong, but as my son said to me when I called him in Cornwall to give him the result, we must be the most inconsistent team in the league at the present time.

I don't think anyone truly expected this today after last week's abysmal game, but if Weston and Mattis can stay fit, maybe we can get some consistency going.

I wouldn't have said last weeks game was abysmal, I don't think the score reflected the performance, (at least before Hughes came off)

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season