Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 13/9/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 13/9/08.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:49 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:we must be the most inconsistent team in the league at the present time.

I don't think anyone truly expected this today after last week's abysmal game, but if Weston and Mattis can stay fit, maybe we can get some consistency going.

7th in the table while being inconsistent is a good sign, I reckon. I don't think anyone who saw us today would say we're dead certs for the play-offs, or anything like it. There is more work to do on the defending and we need consistency of selection (ie getting everyone 100% fit) before we'll get more consistent results. However, I don't think anyone should be disheartened at all with the way this season is heading or the job that JM & JS have done to date.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:51 pm

very very pleasing result and performance always said Weston and Mattis would make a difference.
as young Metfan as pointed out consistency is now the key. Bring on the Seagulls.

UP THE SADDLERS

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:03 pm

I don't think anyone truly expected this today after last week's abysmal game, but if Weston and Mattis can stay fit, maybe we can get some consistency going.[/quote]

Whoever reported to you on the game must be a complete twonker.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Strange day... firstly, it was really warm and sunny, I think summer has arrived folks.

First half we were a class above Rovers, Jabo was brilliant, and held the ball up really well. I thought Sansara showed promise, but made a few silly decision when choosing his pass... that will come in time. Mattis was solid, and Weston really good alongside a great performance from Roberts.

Ref made some odd decisions, the most bizarre of which ended in Mullen being "sent off" for (I assume) coming out of his tech area too much. He firstly went into the Rovers standing area, which the stewards realised wasn;t the best idea... then came to stand with the Saddlers fans.. hilarious, some good banter, and he was happy to be there sharing our frustrations. Steward asked if he would prefer to be in the seats, he said no, he was alright. Then some "senior" stewards decided to move him, and antagonised an otherwise happy Saddler following - mad, so he sat with the under cover Saddler fans and was flanked by 3 stewrds un-necessarily. Very strange.

Secons halfd was a bit "backs to the wall" and Brizzle played better than us, we resorted to hoofing again... not good.

All in all a worthwhile trip. 3 well earned points.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:11 pm

Whitti Steve wrote: a great performance from Roberts.

so good the hear that Steve

Sadders
UTS Legend

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:12 pm

I went today, thoroughly un expected and useful 3 points. The first half we were truly excellent, some beautiful passing through the midfield & something we missed last week, some cutting edge. Ricketts has a presence about him, whilst not being particularly fast is a very good player at this level and will score some goals. Nicholls had his best game in a very long time, roberts was excellent, as was weston,mattis and jabo. Reich was good,but lazy,taundry was good then poor,sansara the same. Mattis played more of a defensive role today,but get hughes fit & we have one if not the ebst central partnership in this league.

Taking jabo off in the second half, and sticking ricketts in the midfield was bizarre & far to defensive. This invited bristol onto us & for most of the second half we played far ,far to deep and as a result bristol scored a decentish goal. Ishy simply posed & to be honest didn't do anything at all and anyone that says anything against that needs a sharpish visit to specsavers, deeney did ok when he came on. Palmer looked good also. Im positive that against a better attacking side today, we wouldn't have won that football match.

However for 60 minutes i thought we were thoroughly excellent, we played nice flowing football,created chances,looked good at the back & in general deserved our points. It wasn't half eventful either, mr mullen came and had his first real encounter with the walsall fans,which was finally a good thing to see. Clayton decided to leave two men on the line and go for a walk into the wall, which was strange to say the least, we had red cards & we had 4 goals. A great day,great drive,great fun,great results.

Onwards and upwards now.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

Must say when i saw the line up i feared the worst today , fair play to Mullen he got this one spot on.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Greta first half, very enjoyable... sat back too much second half. Off out now, post more of a report later.

Garbo? :?

Sat back FAR too much second half, Steve. I've said on another thread that I thought Ricketts was the worst culprit, whether acting on instructions, or not.

Still, sometimes games go like that, and after Antnee's injury, we defended very well. Weston was superb.

3 points is 3 points, however they come.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:41 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:Jimmy Mullen is a Saddler!!! So pleased to see him get some recognition at last :wink:

He is, indeed.

Graydon48
Glitterati

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:24 pm

Bristol Fan wrote:Totally enjoyable experience. We were outstanding in the first half, playing some beautiful football, and committed in the rearguard action in the second. There was an argument on here a day or two ago after someone said Ricketts is the best player in this division - but there can be no argument about it when he plays like he did today. Sansara and Taundry kept giving the ball away, but otherwise no complaints today. We even saw this season's most comical Clayton Ince moment so far when he chose to stand in the wall to defend a free kick on the edge of the box.

That was funny and scary !, why didn't Lambert just chip the ball over the wall ?

Welsh_Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:56 pm

What was Ince booked for - time wasting???

Any news on Antnee's head?

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 am

Duke wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote: a great performance from Roberts.

so good the hear that Steve

Roberts today gave the best performance by a centre-back in a Walsall shirt since Dann left.

Welsh, Ince was booked for encroaching on the Rovers free kick. I've never seen anything like it. Utterly comical. Defending a free kick which is literally on the line of the penalty box, and the goalkeeper stands right behind the wall, where he has no chance of touching the ball. Truly bizarre. But very funny (since they didn't score).

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:38 am

Welsh_Saddler wrote:What was Ince booked for - time wasting???

Yeah, Mullen tried to make it worse twice by rubbing him roughly on it like a dog... why do managers do this to players who come of with a head injury? Antnne didn't look impressed!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:42 am

Whitti Steve wrote:
Welsh_Saddler wrote:What was Ince booked for - time wasting???

Yeah, Mullen tried to make it worse twice by rubbing him roughly on it like a dog... why do managers do this to players who come of with a head injury? Antnne didn't look impressed!

Did he rub his shoulder too? It says he dislocated it on t'other thread.

ShyTallKnight
Glitterati

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:06 am

The Ince incident was a very clever move. Work out the angles. Still extremely funny though.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:48 am

ShyTallKnight wrote:The Ince incident was a very clever move. Work out the angles. Still extremely funny though.

"Work out the angles"?

You havin a laff? You do know who taught me maths? :mrgreen:

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:58 am

For those that were at the meet the manager night I'm sure you remember Mullen's attempt at doing an impression of Ince's accent when describing how Ince had once said he would mark a particular striker on corners. Can't remember who it was now! maybe that was the logic behind yesterday :mrgreen:

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:10 am

Just saw the goals on the championship , don't think I've seen a penalty taken with such confidence.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:47 pm

Duke wrote:Just saw the goals on the championship , don't think I've seen a penalty taken with such confidence.

And also the first time I've seen a Walsall player irritate opposition fans so much by his mere attitude since Merson was with us. I have said since he returned that Ricketts' name and reputation is worth a few goals a season at this level, and we might have seen the first example of that yesterday.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Yesterday's result and performance has certainly rekindled my interest, which I really did not expect it to do. Just goes to show how passion for your team can run very deep, whoever 'pulls the strings' [that said, no home games for me in the forseeable future, however well we do].

We started very strongly, with Reich and Nicholls supplying plentiful of ball to our two strikers. Ibehre and Ricketts were a real handful for the home defence who could not cope with either of them. Taundry battled hard and it was good to see Mattis back, though he may well be lacking in match fitness. Weston was, frankly, superb alongside Roberts after Gerrard's injury. Sansara seemed to be getting some unjustified stick at times, but I thought he did OK - still raw, misplaced a number of passes and did not always utilise Reich as well as he could have done, but he 'dug in' even when things were not going well.

At 30 minutes, we were 2-0 up and coasting. Why, then, did we proceed to mostly defend for the rest of the match? The fast flowing football disappeared, and we resorted to hoofing it anywhere. This resulted in putting a lot of pressure on ourselves as wave-after-wave of home attacks peppered the Saddlers penalty area. Although Rovers HAD to improve, we helped them considerably in our tactics [or lack of them]. Withdrawing Ricketts into a 451 merely nullified the majority of our attacking threat, whilst enabling the home side to have a 'real go' at us [that said, in one of our only attacking forays Nicholls struck the post]. I lost count of the number of times that we cleared the ball to no-one in particular.

The second half was truly bizarre, and it really wound up the home fans, which I thought was great. When Mullen came to stand with us, it was apparent that the stewards and police did not know what to do, and it descended into farce. Why he was dismissed from the technical area was beyond me, but Trollope spent a good five minutes abusing the referee's assistant and nothing was said to him whatsoever.

A great win, and a great afternoon. However, the tendency to panic and just clear the ball, could cost us big time against a better side.

UTS

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Mattis was man of the match for me, what an influence he was in the middle, i feel harsh just singling him out becaus eit was a grea team effort, it should of been 1-4 nicholls hit the post with a screamer the move that led up too it was excellent, are we ever going to be able to field a full strength team, i couldnt undersand why he took reich off so early was he injured.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Good to see ricketts as skipper

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:28 pm

My Player ratings:

Ince - 8 - Did what was needed well. looked confident and made a couple of decent saves.
Weston - 9.5 - My MOTM. First game back, played out of position fo most of it but he was superb. Him and Roberts were rocks at the back.
Gerrard - 6 - Not much to say, didn't realy do much (as he went of injured early on) apart from set up the first goal via a flick on.
Roberts - 9 - Superb performance capped off with a goal. His best performance for us.
Sansara - 6 - Looked a little shakey at times, but didn't realy have alot to do.
Nicholls - 7 - Decent performance, looked dangerous at times, was unlucky not to score in the second half.
Mattis - 8 - Solid performance. Ran our midfield, glad to see him back. Mullen's risk of starting him paid off.
Taundry - 6 - Had a quiet game, can't realy remember him doing much.
Reich - 7 - Showed quality at times, but was quite quiet overall, especially in the second half.
Ricketts - 9 - Had a superb match. Constant threat to Rovers and even dropped back to help when needed. Deserved his 2 goals.
Ibehre - 7 - Antoher one who had a quiet game, however he showed some good link up play with Ricketts.

SUBS
Palmer - 7 - Once again a good solid performance from him.
Deeney - 7 - Looked good again. A threat when he came on. He showed some good skills and did realy well to win the penalty.
Demontagnac - 7 - Didn't have alot to do, but when he had the ball he was skillful and a real handfull

Fat Controller

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:36 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:We'll get stuffed

Oops !!!!!!!!!!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:04 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Why, then, did we proceed to mostly defend for the rest of the match?

Nervousness/confusion about keeping a clean sheet.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:08 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:
ShyTallKnight wrote:The Ince incident was a very clever move. Work out the angles. Still extremely funny though.

"Work out the angles"?

You havin' a laff? You do know who taught me Maths? :mrgreen:

Careful, Willy! :D

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:Why, then, did we proceed to mostly defend for the rest of the match?

Nervousness/confusion about keeping a clean sheet.

maybe because Bristol were determined to get themselves back into the match.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Just seen the goals. Ricketts' penalty and celebration had class written all over them.
Things are now starting to look a lot more healthy with Weston, Mattis and Ricketts back in the side. Let's just hope Gerrard isn't too badly injured and that our wait to finally see our best XI won't have to continue for much longer.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:07 am

Looks like Teamtalk's reporter spent the match in the bar...

"Manager Paul Trollope insisted Bristol Rovers were "the architects of their own downfall" after his 10-man side lost 3-1 against Walsall.
Michael Ricketts and Stephen Roberts had put Walsall 2-0 up before Rovers defender Byron Anthony was sent off just before the break for bringing down Troy Deeney.
Ricketts tucked away the resulting penalty to wrap up the game before half-time, although Steve Elliott did hit a consolation. "

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1838_4144032,00.html

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 am

WarsawPact wrote:Looks like Teamtalk's reporter spent the match in the bar...

"Manager Paul Trollope insisted Bristol Rovers were "the architects of their own downfall" after his 10-man side lost 3-1 against Walsall.
Michael Ricketts and Stephen Roberts had put Walsall 2-0 up before Rovers defender Byron Anthony was sent off just before the break for bringing down Troy Deeney.
Ricketts tucked away the resulting penalty to wrap up the game before half-time, although Steve Elliott did hit a consolation. "

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1838_4144032,00.html

Worse than one of my 'Mick Kearns' match reports!

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season