Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 13/9/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Re: Bristol Rovers (A) League 1 Saturday 13/9/08.

Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:23 am

Has anybody seen the match highlights from Sads World? After the penalty it clearly shows somebody from the away fans throwing something at Ricketts (who was rubbing it in a little bit). Has anything come from this? The steward from Bristol goes over to look at it aswell.

Good result lads.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:06 am

Young_Tong wrote:Has anybody seen the match highlights from Sads World? After the penalty it clearly shows somebody from the away fans throwing something at Ricketts (who was rubbing it in a little bit). Has anything come from this? The steward from Bristol goes over to look at it aswell.

Good result lads.

Talking to a couple of Gasheads after the match, apparently a number of paper cups was thrown Rickett's way.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:21 am

Young_Tong wrote:Has anybody seen the match highlights from Sads World? After the penalty it clearly shows somebody from the away fans throwing something at Ricketts (who was rubbing it in a little bit). Has anything come from this? The steward from Bristol goes over to look at it aswell.

Good result lads.

I think that was the home end - they were a bit miffed about his celebration.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:43 am

Great win! Well done lads....more of the same next week please!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:34 am

Jorge14 wrote:
Duke wrote:Just saw the goals on the championship , don't think I've seen a penalty taken with such confidence.

And also the first time I've seen a Walsall player irritate opposition fans so much by his mere attitude since Merson was with us. I have said since he returned that Ricketts' name and reputation is worth a few goals a season at this level, and we might have seen the first example of that yesterday.

Indeed , I watched Ricketts during the warm up before the Scunthorpe game he looked relaxed and happy to be here . cracking jokes and smiling throughout.

WFCNIL

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:13 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:We'll get stuffed

Spot on again, move over Jimmy Mullen :lol: :lol:

WFCNIL

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:15 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I have a feeling I'm going to see my first Walsall defeat at The Mem. 3-1 to Gas and 450 of us. Duffy and Lambert will both score, even though paying transfer fees is apparently "a mugs game" and totally pointless when you can always get unattached players/free transfers that are just as good :wink:.

Are those free transfers any good then ??? :shock:

WFCNIL

Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:18 pm

geoffwhiting wrote:I fear and expect a tanking - Bristol Rovers 4 Walsall 1. Hope I'm wrong, just think we'd have so much more chance if we had a defence in front of Clayton.

:lol: :lol: And what a defence !!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:56 pm

WFCNIL wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:I have a feeling I'm going to see my first Walsall defeat at The Mem. 3-1 to Gas and 450 of us. Duffy and Lambert will both score, even though paying transfer fees is apparently "a mugs game" and totally pointless when you can always get unattached players/free transfers that are just as good :wink:.

Are those free transfers any good then ??? :shock:

Although Jabo and Ricketts played well, I also think it was the case that their 'free transfer' defence was considerably poorer than our 'free transfer' backline. Duffy and Lambert have already scored 9 goals between them, they were just marshalled by a superior defence on the day.

I take your point though.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:29 pm

WFCNIL wrote:
geoffwhiting wrote:I fear and expect a tanking - Bristol Rovers 4 Walsall 1. Hope I'm wrong, just think we'd have so much more chance if we had a defence in front of Clayton.

:lol: :lol: And what a defence !!

Did well on the day it seems, and nice to have Weston back, we've missed him I think.

As I said, I hoped I'd be wrong, and couldn't be more pleased that on this occasion I was! :lol:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:56 am

Gas sites say they had a defensive 'mare, it wasn't their day, and that they spent too much up front in Summer. After the latest, fan opinion is that Holloway might be in charge by Christmas.

Still, 3 points is three points, and their much-vaunted strike force didn't exactly muster a lot of shots.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season