Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall v leyton Orient 6/9/08 (H) League 1

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Re: Walsall v leyton Orient 6/9/08 (H) League 1

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:22 pm

Another defeat for us. Well it worked last week when I predicted it.

Evo to run around at half time in just his y fronts like Hommer Simpson
:oops:

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Dynamo Zuffle wrote:Another defeat for us. Well it worked last week when I predicted it.

Evo to run around at half time in just his y fronts like Hommer Simpson
:oops:

With Evo's record of missing goals whilst on a bog trip I think we need to lock him in the khazi all game :D

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:11 pm

Same Team please Mr Mullen.....

i'll go for a 2-0 win with ishmel and jabo getting the goals.....

attendence around 5,000....

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:15 pm

WarsawPact wrote:An interesting question for the manager for this one - does he bring Ricketts back in and switch to a standard 442, or stick with the team and formation that was successful last week, put MR on the bench with the risk that he'll have a 'mard'.

IMHO i don't think a manager should ever change a winning team. If Ricketts hadn't have been so stupid, he would have been in the team for the past 3 games, but now Ishmel has come along and scored a hat-trick and for that I think it's obvious we should start with Ishmel and then bringing Ricketts on if needed.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:24 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
WarsawPact wrote:An interesting question for the manager for this one - does he bring Ricketts back in and switch to a standard 442, or stick with the team and formation that was successful last week, put MR on the bench with the risk that he'll have a 'mard'.

IMHO i don't think a manager should ever change a winning team. If Ricketts hadn't have been so stupid, he would have been in the team for the past 3 games, but now Ishmel has come along and scored a hat-trick and for that I think it's obvious we should start with Ishmel and then bringing Ricketts on if needed.

I don't agree that you should never change a winning team. For example, I'd have Weston back in a heartbeat if he's fit as he's clearly an improvement on Palmer. You should put out the strongest available side for the next match, no matter what the result of the previous one.

However, in the case of Ishmel I don't think it'd be right to drop him - or even to move him back onto the wing after he's scored a hat-trick. He's going to be full of confidence and raring to have another go this weekend, so we need to make use of that and stick him back out on the pitch. Ricketts, on the other hand, has only played a single reserve match in three weeks. He's unlikely to be ready for 90 minutes, so he'll be more effective on the bench - from where I'm sure he'll have a role to play at some stage on Saturday.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:32 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:

I don't agree that you should never change a winning team. For example, I'd have Weston back in a heartbeat if he's fit as he's clearly an improvement on Palmer. You should put out the strongest available side for the next match, no matter what the result of the previous one.

However, in the case of Ishmel I don't think it'd be right to drop him - or even to move him back onto the wing after he's scored a hat-trick. He's going to be full of confidence and raring to have another go this weekend, so we need to make use of that and stick him back out on the pitch. Ricketts, on the other hand, has only played a single reserve match in three weeks. He's unlikely to be ready for 90 minutes, so he'll be more effective on the bench - from where I'm sure he'll have a role to play at some stage on Saturday.

Ye maybe not ever but in this situation i dont think he should unless like you said Weston is fit enough to play or Mattis which is unlikely.

stig

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:13 pm

2 -2 draw.

The mystery machine to pull onto the pitch at half time, Freddie and Velma to unmask Stafflers as the arch villain responsible for the half-time pie shortage. 'So the curious trail of coloured sauce was in fact the gravy from a consignment of Balti pies. Shaggy and Scooby licked it up all the way to the stain on his tie !' Stafflers to be led away saying 'If it wasn't for those pesky kids...'

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:39 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:

Both Weston and Ricketts played a full 90 minutes for the reserves t' other night if Ricketts does start on the bench fair enough but Weston must be recalled IMHO.

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:30 am

After all that was said by Mullen about Ishy coming up with the goods surely he must start him again.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:54 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:After all that was said by Mullen about Ishy coming up with the goods surely he must start him again.

Didn't he actually say he needed to step it up from one good game in ten to one in two? Given that, having one good game doesn't actually address Mullen's concerns yet! :wink: :wink:

That said, though, you can't drop a player who's scored a hat-trick on his return to the team. He does have to start him again.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:25 am

my line up woould be .

Ince

Weston - Roberts - Gerrard - Boertien

Demontagnac - Bradley - Hughes - Reich

Ibehre - Ricketts.

Gilmartin - Palmer - Smith - Taundry - Deeney

Don't think Mattis will be ready just yet.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:08 am

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:34 am

Duke wrote:my line up woould be .

Ince

Ibehre - Ricketts.

Gilmartin - Palmer - Smith - Taundry

I've just made one improvement to your selection, Duke.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Whatever happened to good old "4-3-3-full-speed-ahead-and-damn-the-torpedos"???

Ince

Weston-Gerrard-Roberts-Boertien

Mattis-Hughes-Reich

Ricketts-Ibhere-Demontagnac

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Duke wrote:my line up woould be .

Ince

Ibehre - Ricketts.

Gilmartin - Palmer - Smith - Taundry

I've just made one improvement to your selection, Duke.

:? :mrgreen:

coventriansaddler
Glitterati

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:24 pm

Transfer Fee Received : £1 million for Scott Dann received from Coventry City, January 2008.

A million quid? Is that correct? Amazing!!! :)

redsaddler
UTS Regular

Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:57 pm

Just back off holiday, gutted to miss last week's thumping against Southend!

Saddlers 2-1 Orient

Jabo and Ishmel for us, Boyd for them

Attendance of 4,693 including 492 (plus Andrew Lloyd Webber) from Orient

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD
UTS Legend

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:46 pm

Why do most posters leave Palmer out of their chosen 11, I think he has been excellent so far and has whipped in some
superb goal making crosses.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:11 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Why do most posters leave Palmer out of their chosen 11, I think he has been excellent so far and has whipped in some

I can't speak for most people, but I'd prefer Weston because of the defensive qualities he offers (superior to Palmer's in my view) and that he doesn't seem to get caught out of position so often. Weston can also send in a great cross - at Port Vale away last year, he ran 70 yards in the 93rd minute to float a perfect ball onto Michael Ricketts' head for our equaliser.

I wouldn't mind seeing Palmer on the right side of midfield (ahead of Nicholls or Deeney), playing in front of Weston. I could see that working.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 am

A difficult decision for Mullen. I hope his choice of team is made A) based on last week, but also B) based on his scouting of how Orient play (which I do not know). I guess what I am saying is, Ishy (although I am not his greatest fan) does deserve to start, and probably in the same position. But, if Mullen thinks we need a Ricketts type player against Orient - so be it. Whatever happens, if we win, it will be the right decision, if we lose.... he was an idiot for making the choice he did :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:52 am

All things being equal, I'd go with Duke's line up. I don't know how Orient play, but we're at home, they're below us in the league and are struggling to score goals. Let's take the game to them, with two 'proper' strikers, and Ishmel out left. With Reich on the right, I'd fancy us to get a few goals.

I hope so, seeing as I had to miss last week's goal-fest.

A goalless draw, or a nil-one overhawling beckons. :(

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:31 am

NEWPORT SADDLERS DAD wrote:Why do most posters leave Palmer out of their chosen 11, I think he has been excellent so far and has whipped in some

Weston is a far better full back defensively , I've got no problem with Palmer but you have to play your best side .

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:29 pm

team

Ince

Palmer - Roberts - Gerrard - Boertein

Deeney - Taundry - Hughes - Reich

Demontagnac - Ibehre

Subs : Gilmartin . Smith Bradley . Nicholls . Ricketts.

Mirek

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:32 pm

Duke wrote:team

Ince

We might have an uphill battle on our hands! Starting with 9 men is a bit of a handicap to start us off. Maybe its all about the cutbacks

Mirek

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:46 pm

Ince

Demontagnac - Ibehre

i assume Jabo and Ishy up front??

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Mirek wrote:

Ince

Demontagnac - Ibehre

Think so.

what a result from London Road Peterborough 5-4 Bristol Rovers
:shock:

Mirek

Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:59 pm

Duke wrote:
Mirek wrote:

Ince

Demontagnac - Ibehre

Think so.

what a result from London Road Peterborough 5-4 Bristol Rovers
:shock:

I didnt watch it, have have been busy, my mums been in hospital and im looking after her for teh next few weeks, hence the reason im on here

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:06 pm

hope your mum makes a speedy recovery .

Mirek

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Duke wrote:hope your mum makes a speedy recovery .

thanks for that shes on the mend and better today, heres to a repeat of last week and 3 more points

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:29 pm

Listening to the game on WM , we are doing a lot of pressing but the O's look dangerous on the break.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season