Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Walsall V Southend Leauge 1 Sat 30 Aug (Home)

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Walsall V Southend Leauge 1 Sat 30 Aug (Home)

Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:41 am

I thought it was a very good performance by the lads. I'm not getting overly excited because I think the scoreline flattered us, and that Southend were very poor in defence. Ishy's header was very poor defending he was left free on the 6 yard line and the keeper should have saved it, Ishy's second was a mistake by the defender then a mistake by the keeper, there was the own goal - although that can be attributed to the excellent cross, and there was the rather poor headed clearance for our opening goal that fell straight to Reich. I just wish people would see these things rather than get over-excited by the scoreline. Southend were terrible in defence, and we weren't much better in the last 15-20 mins.

I was very happy to see that Jimmy Mullen finally realised that Reich was wasted in-the-hole with our tactics [I and a few others noticed it after 15 mins against Scunthorpe]. Playing him out wide allowed him to see the ball a lot more of the ball, and with his technique, he was able to create loads. The one gripe I had with his was the way he trying to faff about a bit too much and slow the game down sometimes. But he was responsible for the cross that lead to the own goal, and his finish for our opener was pure class.

I thought Palmer had a really good game, he didn't look brilliant defensively, but offensively his crossing and passing were excellent all afternoon.

Hughes had a very solid game, he's going to be our best player this year.

Taundry, hmm well, he was good and bad, he drifted out of position for their first goal, and seems to do the hard things right, and the simple things wrong. If Weston isn't back for the Orient game, I'd put Taundry at right back, Palmer right midfield and bring Bradley in.

Jabo, superb again.

Deeney, poor in my view, huffs and puffs, but lacks that little bit of quality of a league player. I'd get him out on loan, a few goals under his belt might make all the difference.

Gerrard, solid. Those who say he's league 1 at best know nothing. Gerrard is pure class, and I thought he was taking it relatively easy [not wanting to get injured].

Overall a good performance, and a great confidence boost for the lads. We're starting to find our best positions for players like Reich, which is pleasing.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:19 am

philthesaddler wrote:I thought it was a very good performance by the lads. I'm not getting overly excited because I think the scoreline flattered us, and that Southend were very poor in defence. Ishy's header was very poor defending he was left free on the 6 yard line and the keeper should have saved it, Ishy's second was a mistake by the defender then a mistake by the keeper, there was the own goal - although that can be attributed to the excellent cross, and there was the rather poor headed clearance for our opening goal that fell straight to Reich. I just wish people would see these things rather than get over-excited by the scoreline. Southend were terrible in defence, and we weren't much better in the last 15-20 mins.

I was very happy to see that Jimmy Mullen finally realised that Reich was wasted in-the-hole with our tactics [I and a few others noticed it after 15 mins against Scunthorpe]. Playing him out wide allowed him to see the ball a lot more of the ball, and with his technique, he was able to create loads. The one gripe I had with his was the way he trying to faff about a bit too much and slow the game down sometimes. But he was responsible for the cross that lead to the own goal, and his finish for our opener was pure class.

I thought Palmer had a really good game, he didn't look brilliant defensively, but offensively his crossing and passing were excellent all afternoon.

Hughes had a very solid game, he's going to be our best player this year.

Taundry, hmm well, he was good and bad, he drifted out of position for their first goal, and seems to do the hard things right, and the simple things wrong. If Weston isn't back for the Orient game, I'd put Taundry at right back, Palmer right midfield and bring Bradley in.

Jabo, superb again.

Deeney, poor in my view, huffs and puffs, but lacks that little bit of quality of a league player. I'd get him out on loan, a few goals under his belt might make all the difference.

Gerrard, solid. Those who say he's league 1 at best know nothing. Gerrard is pure class, and I thought he was taking it relatively easy [not wanting to get injured].

Overall a good performance, and a great confidence boost for the lads. We're starting to find our best positions for players like Reich, which is pleasing.

I think you are being a bit generous. Reich to me was still out of position, as the reason he kept "faffing about" as you put it, was becausee he had to check back onto his right foot all of the time. Deeney was just out of position. Palmer would be better in midfield, as he just can't defend (and they didn't expolit his uselessness in the air). The changes of Bradley, Taundry and Palmer I agree with, if Weston ain't back.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:I think you are being a bit generous. Reich to me was still out of position, as the reason he kept "faffing about" as you put it, was becausee he had to check back onto his right foot all of the time. Deeney was just out of position. Palmer would be better in midfield, as he just can't defend (and they didn't expolit his uselessness in the air). The changes of Bradley, Taundry and Palmer I agree with, if Weston ain't back.

I agree with you - except possibly about Reich. Seeing as he has no pace and a real eye for goal he's possibly best out on the left. That way he can cut inside and either shoot or put in an inswinging cross (one of which led to the second goal on Saturday) on his right foot. Put him on the right and he's not really going to have an option: he won't have the pace to beat the defender on the outside to put in a cross and if he cuts inside then he's on his left, which he can't use.

Palmer's not a defender. He just doesn't have a clue how to go about stopping a winger from playing his game. That's not really his fault as it's not his position. It'll be interesting to see him play right wing as he appears to have very good delivery. However, I suspect he lacks pace and doesn't really have the tricks to make up for it. He looks like a decent League 2 right winger, but I'm not sure he'll be up to more than the odd cameo appearance in League 1. Until Weston is back Taundry ought to play right back and Bradley in the centre of midfield. Bradley's a better midfielder than Taundry and Taundry a better full back than Palmer.

Deeney's a bit the same as Palmer really. He's no idea what to do on the wing although he tries hard (same goes for Nicholls, which is why we do need to try Palmer there). He needs to play up front or not at all - but, most of all, he needs to score a goal. A bit more confidence and he might have got that shot off a fraction of a second earlier just before they broke for their second goal. That way it wouldn't have been blocked and would have had a chance at going in.

Tafkass

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:29 am

fensaddler wrote:I notice the match thread is far shorter this week? Proof if it were needed that most of the posters on here only feel motivated to write when they want to whinge. Are we Wolves in disguise?

Oh, and Tafkass, MATE, last season was far from the worst I have seen - a little perspective about the early 90s might be in order. That didn't 'wear me down', and neither will a little blip at the end of last season. And I will also manage to keep one good win in perspective too, since experience proves that most performances in any season aren't outstanding. Frankly if I were on the board of this club and reading this board, I wouldn't be inclined to invest my hard earned, or the club's, on new players. The fact that they have, and may well continue to do, reflects rather well on them. I've no doubt that's an unpopular sentiment on here, but unlike some I'm not inclined just to believe what everyone else around me is saying, whether that be other posters on this board, or the club hierarchy, whose pronouncements, or lack of them, I also consider with thoughtful scepticism.

Well done "MATE" :roll: glad someone is paying to keep the clubs finances ticking over for when us part timers decide to come back,cheers "MATE" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 pm

For the record, I'd not describe myself as anything more than a part timer either. I manage 10-15 games a season with my family, and I've never been a season ticket holder - I can't make enough games to justify one. I just can't understand the air of bitter misery around the place - in the great scheme of things, is mid-table in League 1 (the worst I reckon we'll be this season)that bad, compared with some of the wretched seasons we've had in the past? (PS I know all the counter arguments - I've read them on here ad infinitum, I don't need them reiterating :roll: ). I worry that getting into the Championship has rather ruined the atmosphere as Walsall, because it has raised expectations beyond what is presently sustainable - and we'll sustain even less on crowds of 3,800.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season