Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (Away) League 1 Saturday 23/8/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Re: Crewe Alexandra (Away) League 1 Saturday 23/8/08.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:55 pm

so what is the cheap option football is nothing but a lesiure industry always the same side in 24th= we go and blow up big time

Bernie
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Very disappointing result but it was not as bad a performance as some are making out.

We began playing some very good football, dominating possession but not making any clear cut chances. Crewe, were not great at the back or in midfield but looked much more dangerous on the break than we did thanks to Elding (signed from Leeds) and Grant (£130,000) from Aldershot.

Jabo was again our only threat up front - he desperately needs some help up there. Reich is good in parts, but often seems like a passenger; Ishmel went up front briefly when he first came, but did nothing to support the theory that he can play there; Deeney then had 20 minutes up front and yet again showed that he is nowhere near ready for this position in a League One team. Has he ever looked comfortable for Walsall playing as a striker?

The central midfield were much more involved than in other matches and did OK.

The big problem is the defence which seemed to have a big hole in the middle, and leaks on both wings. Crewe could well have scored a few more.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:54 pm

cheap option or not thats another issue. we were pathetic today. awful in the first half and clueless but slightly less awful in the 2nd. jabo worked his sox off. no comment on the rest. on that performance its gonne be a long season.

kh1959

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:34 pm

crap :(

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:38 pm

....again more proof that WM talk rubbish....

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:43 pm

Wrong team. Wrong tactics. Wrong Manager.

You could see after 20 minutes that 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 whatever it was, was not working.

Shocking hesitant defending from Smith, Boertien and Palmer. Hughes, whilst he scored a good goal really struggled with his fitness level and Grant made Taundry and him look like donkeys. Apparently Zaaboub was on the teamsheet but he hardly touched the ball.

Jabo played well and Reich impressed in patches.

When Mullen actually got the team and tactics right and brought off Zaaboub for Ishy we began to look useful in a 4-4-2 formation with Ishy up front, scored a good goal and were threatening.What did our glorious leader do then. He brought on Deeney for Nicholls and moved Ishy to the RIGHT wing. Momentum and game over.

Conclusions:

Boertien is no improvement on Sansara
We desperately need a new centre half as both Smith and Roberts aren't good enough.
We even more desperately need Weston back
Taundry isn't good enough as a central midfielder and its a scandel Bradley is behind him in the pecking order.
Hughes is good enough but hasn't got the legs to get round the pitch. He should just sit in front of the central defenders.
Zaaboub is a luxury player that we can't afford. Ishy should start.
Nicholls is played out of position on the wing and should be given a chance through the middle.
Reich improves each game but you can't play him and Zaaboub in the same line up as they are both lightweights.
Jabo is carrying the team at the moment.
The manager is clueless.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Wrong team. Wrong tactics. Wrong Manager.

You could see after 20 minutes that 4-5-1 or 4-4-1-1 whatever it was, was not working.

Shocking hesitant defending from Smith, Boertien and Palmer. Hughes, whilst he scored a good goal really struggled with his fitness level and Grant made Taundry and him look like donkeys. Apparently Zaaboub was on the teamsheet but he hardly touched the ball.

Jabo played well and Reich impressed in patches.

When Mullen actually got the team and tactics right and brought off Zaaboub for Ishy we began to look useful in a 4-4-2 formation with Ishy up front, scored a good goal and were threatening.What did our glorious leader do then. He brought on Deeney for Nicholls and moved Ishy to the RIGHT wing. Momentum and game over.

Conclusions:

Boertien is no improvement on Sansara
We desperately need a new centre half as both Smith and Roberts aren't good enough.
We even more desperately need Weston back
Taundry isn't good enough as a central midfielder and its a scandel Bradley is behind him in the pecking order.
Hughes is good enough but hasn't got the legs to get round the pitch. He should just sit in front of the central defenders.
Zaaboub is a luxury player that we can't afford. Ishy should start.
Nicholls is played out of position on the wing and should be given a chance through the middle.
Reich improves each game but you can't play him and Zaaboub in the same line up as they are both lightweights.
Jabo is carrying the team at the moment.
The manager is clueless.

INteresting..that's near enough what everyone else has said. Shrops you still sure WM was right? ;)

I agree tho' - it is a scadal that Bradley isn't playing. We have an even younger small right back in midfield over a welsh under 21 international....hmmmm.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Jeez, after reading that OldPenk, I'll be reaching for the razor blades.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:02 pm

Stu wrote:Jeez, after reading that OldPenk, I'll be reaching for the razor blades.

It hasn't been a great day. I knocked a full pint of beer over in the Pub before the game as well. :oops: :evil:

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:27 pm

Positives first.

Jabo again led the line very well, and I think we need to see how it goes when he is up there with Ricketts. Him being there will add a new dimension to the play that we've only really seen to any effect in the first half an hour of the Darlington game.

Without Ince we'd have lost by at least three more goals. A top display by the big man.

I thought Boertein did well in the second half, but was left too exposed by the centre backs. It isn't his fault that Smith gets out of position to easily making Gerrard have to cover for him and leaving Boertein to face both his winger and the centre back. He coped as well as he could, and we actually had very few problems coming from their right flank apart from Eldings' disallowed goal. He always looked very impressive going forwards. I find the comments that "he is no improvement on Sansara" very hard to fathom as at times Boertein was the only player in the defence who stuck his head above the parapet and looked to deal with the threat coming our way.

Reich had spells of looking very impressive and Ishmel looked useful coming in from the right. Daz, I'm afraid, you are talking rubbish by calling the decision to play Ishmel on the right and Reich on the left "shocking". That move led to some very useful wing play. Reich and Boertein looked very good together on the left and really stretched the Crewe right-back whilst Ishmel has always been effective cutting inside from the right. He went very close with an effort from 20 yards which was reminiscent of one of his debut goals at Vale.

Hughes would be very effective if he had a true central midfielder next to him. Taundry should have been switched to right back as soon as the threat from the very impressive Grant became clear. What it needed on him was a "bite your ankles" sort of player, not Palmer who played his natural game of sitting off his winger and was made to look very silly and average as a result of it.

I thought Zaboob was poor - we'll see how he goes. People within the club seem to think he can be a very good player for us, we'll see in time. Nicholls had only one moment of effect when he cut in off the right side and forced a good save from the keeper.

The biggest worry was Smith. Positionally he was off, and he was given a torrid time by Elding, who, whilst a good player, he is a long way from the best striker in the division, and if we played that offside trap against the likes of Beckford, Fryatt or Lambert then we'd be four or five down in the first twenty minutes. He improved as the game went on, but was given a real working over and Gerrard had to cover for him countless times. We need a centre half, regardless of whether we think Roberts is good enough (I think he is, but is injury prone) - Smith isn't ready to be a third choice at this level yet. One day perhaps, but not at the minute. I thought Gerrard did well coming forward, but was made to look bad by having to work so hard to cover at the back.

As for the subs, other than what I've said about Ishmel I thought Deeney was particularly frustrating. A ridiculous decision to shoot when in a good position to lay it off to the wing was made worse by a poor first touch. However, he never stopped chasing - needs a spell out on loan to get confidence back, because you can tell he senses he isn't up to it.

As for the manager, he showed today that at least he can substitute earlier than 80 minutes. However, I don't understand his dislike of Bradley. I think he needs to be judged when Ricketts, Roberts, Weston and Mattis are back in the side - but I think the start of the season just verges on the alright. It isn't exceptional, but we have the same record as Leeds having recorded identical results against the 2 same sides. The first half was abysmal, and just about as poor as I can recall us playing for some time. We could have shipped up to 5 goals in the first 45. That absurd offside trap must be rectified, though it worked on a couple of occasions, they were only marginal decisions and were certainly within the margin of error for a linesman to get wrong. Ince had to get the defence out of jail on 3 occassions. He needs to give Ishmel a shot of condidence by trusting him as a player who can make an impact from the start. Again, we were a team starved of pace until he came on and next Saturday should be the perfect opportunity to see what he can do as a striker who runs at defenders and plays off the hold up play of Jabo.

We need to improve over the coming weeks, but it is far from terminal and there are positives to be picked up on. The biggest positive is that Mullen admitted that we were poor and are lacking in certain areas - more than his predecessor ever did.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:45 pm

Well done to he people who can draw positives from losing to a team with zero points before today.
Well done indeed.
CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:51 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Well done to he people who can draw positives from losing to a team with zero points before today.
Well done indeed.
CLAP CLAP CLAP.

When you've only played 2 games, there are quite a few teams in the football league with zero points. We should probably go back to the old days where league tables weren't available for a couple of months.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Reich had spells of looking very impressive and Ishmel looked useful coming in from the right. Daz, I'm afraid, you are talking rubbish by calling the decision to play Ishmel on the right and Reich on the left "shocking". That move led to some very useful wing play. Reich and Boertein looked very good together on the left and really stretched the Crewe right-back whilst Ishmel has always been effective cutting inside from the right. He went very close with an effort from 20 yards which was reminiscent of one of his debut goals at Vale.

Ahh yes, the result obviously backs up why that was so awesome. Forgive me, I thought we lost. You play people in their correct positions, unless you are Arsene Wenger, and have some sort of tactic. Every single person I have spoken to has either laughed or just told me in disbelief of his decisions today. The blokes not good enough. Clueless. Should be the assistant manager.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:15 pm

After two seasons of maximum organisation and preperation we look terribly disjointed and exposed.

Gerrard is a kid himself, and he is marshalling around Smith. The two together don't look to be working. We knew this the end of last season.

Reich is a splendid footballer (with the ball at his feet) but apart from that he becomes a passenger. Supporting Striker ? doesn't put himself about, winger - more of a wide midfielder, central midfielder doesn't really put himself about as much.

Taundry - i can see why he is selected, industrious and has those nice bursts forward but he lacks the intellgence of Bradley.

Richard Money liked an intelligent player. His teams could (usually) think on their feet and Bradley was a key part of this during that run he did run out of steam in the end. I think a midfled of Mattis - Hugest - Bradley in behind Jabo with wingers that can can get up their - Ishy and Nicholls for instance is where Mullen SHOULD go.

Today we just looked at odds with players running riot over us.

I've seen all our games so far and each time i've come away thinking hmmm we can take something from that today - as it stands we've only taken 3 points off ten men.

We can easily be 15 games in and and have just 7 or 8 points then start getting worried.

Sort it now Jimmy, organisaiton is your job. You organise a group of Under 12s to play to a game plan. You have a team or Proffesionals sort them out !!

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:17 pm

i fail to see the point of disecting such a pathetic perfomance. we were cack and got what we deserved. Positives? I saw a few mates. end of. we were shoite

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:20 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Well done to he people who can draw positives from losing to a team with zero points before today.
Well done indeed.
CLAP CLAP CLAP.

When you've only played 2 games, there are quite a few teams in the football league with zero points. We should probably go back to the old days where league tables weren't available for a couple of months.

3 teams i think at the beginning of the day.
And we lost to 1 of them.
Oh, and a team that had also conceeded 6 goals in 2 games.
Lets be positive though.
CLAP CLAP CLAP.
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:34 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

Ahh yes, the result obviously backs up why that was so awesome. Forgive me, I thought we lost. You play people in their correct positions, unless you are Arsene Wenger, and have some sort of tactic. Every single person I have spoken to has either laughed or just told me in disbelief of his decisions today. The blokes not good enough. Clueless. Should be the assistant manager.

No, I still disagree. Reich coming in from the left and Ishmel in from the right gave the biggest threat we had. Just as the only time we looked dangerous before that was when Jabo picked the ball up wide of the left and ran towards goal or the run from Nicholls which led to a good shot and a decent save.

Perhaps the people laughing forget that when Reich moved to the left wing he put in a number of crosses himself and gave the room for Boertein to show his attacking instincts, twice getting into the 18 yard box and once into the 6 yard box. Perhaps these people forget that Palmer only began to look anything close to decent going forward when Ishmel gave him the room to overlap. Playing Ishmel on the right allows him to run inside, at goal and against tiring defenders with the possibiity of a shot on his prefered foot. That is a positive, and it is dangerous, and as I said, it very nearly led to a goal.

You have made your mind up on Mullen after 4 games and two as caretaker solely so you can, in a few months or even a couple of years be the one to say "I told you so". That, frankly, is ridiculous - as the Jabo Ibehre example shows. You thought that displayed the inept management team at the club - it didn't. Ironically, it is the signing of Roberts - which at the time was hailed as the best of our pre-season signings bar Mattis - that is now held up as some sort of sign that Mullen doesn't have a clue.

The team were rightly booed off at half time. It was very poor and as poor as we have been for a long time. But come on, that team today didn't have its star striker and biggest name (though Ishmel should have started upfront - that would have been a statement of intent), its first choice right back, its first choice central midfield pairing (though it should have been Bradley in the middle, not Taundry) or its first choice central defensive pairing. Any team losing four players loses something. I'm not going to be an apologist for Mullen, but I saw enough from the team in the second half to suggest that when it clicks it could be decent. And decent is all we can hope for this season in my opinion, so instead of silly vendettas and writing off people before they have had the chance to prove themselves as a group, get behind them. This time last season the team were being written off by most of this message board - people were bemoaning the decision to release Kris Taylor in favour of Danny Fox, for instance, and Rhys Weston was being castigated as a total waste of space and out of his depth! We lost at Gillingham and could only muster a point at home to Port Vale. If this season was a Rowing Machine against the "phantom boat", this season would be comfortably ahead of last season at this stage. Chill out, and if we are struggling on the 1st of December, then is the time to start thinking about making a change. Until then, let the team (a totally new team, as people exalted at when all the players were released at the end of last season) settle into being a team and get to know each other.

Sheff - Yes, we should have played a more attacking line up. We looked dangerous when we attacked them. If you'd have read what I'd posted through your sherry-influenced eyes you will have seen that I have criticised the performance as well as highlighted to people who weren't there (such as METFAN) what might not have been as bad as some people are making out.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:00 pm

Jorge14 wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Jorge14 wrote:

No, I still disagree. Reich coming in from the left and Ishmel in from the right gave the biggest threat we had. Just as the only time we looked dangerous before that was when Jabo picked the ball up wide of the left and ran towards goal or the run from Nicholls which led to a good shot and a decent save.

Perhaps the people laughing forget that when Reich moved to the left wing he put in a number of crosses himself and gave the room for Boertein to show his attacking instincts, twice getting into the 18 yard box and once into the 6 yard box. Perhaps these people forget that Palmer only began to look anything close to decent going forward when Ishmel gave him the room to overlap. Playing Ishmel on the right allows him to run inside, at goal and against tiring defenders with the possibiity of a shot on his prefered foot. That is a positive, and it is dangerous, and as I said, it very nearly led to a goal.

You have made your mind up on Mullen after 4 games and two as caretaker solely so you can, in a few months or even a couple of years be the one to say "I told you so". That, frankly, is ridiculous - as the Jabo Ibehre example shows. You thought that displayed the inept management team at the club - it didn't. Ironically, it is the signing of Roberts - which at the time was hailed as the best of our pre-season signings bar Mattis - that is now held up as some sort of sign that Mullen doesn't have a clue.

The team were rightly booed off at half time. It was very poor and as poor as we have been for a long time. But come on, that team today didn't have its star striker and biggest name (though Ishmel should have started upfront - that would have been a statement of intent), its first choice right back, its first choice central midfield pairing (though it should have been Bradley in the middle, not Taundry) or its first choice central defensive pairing. Any team losing four players loses something. I'm not going to be an apologist for Mullen, but I saw enough from the team in the second half to suggest that when it clicks it could be decent. And decent is all we can hope for this season in my opinion, so instead of silly vendettas and writing off people before they have had the chance to prove themselves as a group, get behind them. This time last season the team were being written off by most of this message board - people were bemoaning the decision to release Kris Taylor in favour of Danny Fox, for instance, and Rhys Weston was being castigated as a total waste of space and out of his depth! We lost at Gillingham and could only muster a point at home to Port Vale. If this season was a Rowing Machine against the "phantom boat", this season would be comfortably ahead of last season at this stage. Chill out, and if we are struggling on the 1st of December, then is the time to start thinking about making a change. Until then, let the team (a totally new team, as people exalted at when all the players were released at the end of last season) settle into being a team and get to know each other.

Sheff - Yes, we should have played a more attacking line up. We looked dangerous when we attacked them. If you'd have read what I'd posted through your sherry-influenced eyes you will have seen that I have criticised the performance as well as highlighted to people who weren't there (such as METFAN) what might not have been as bad as some people are making out.

I agree. I was surprised to see how well Ishy played wide right.
Although he should be playing wide left instead of that complete numptie, Zaaboub.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:39 pm

The right left, left right thing is something managers often deploy.

It is effective when you you have a say Michael Owen or Paul Dickov type mini striker. where you want your wide men coming in playing with the midfield and striker, and not lumping balls in the box aimlessly to nobody.

When you have two six foot target men bombing down the middle. Having the wide men go to the touch line and put out swinging rather than inswinging balls in is going to get you goals.

Letting the winger check back just gives them time to get the redshirts behind the ball (this happend today).

This left right, right left thing also has the bonus of encouraging the naturally footed full backs forward - BUT today Crewe had the pace of Usain Bolt and Osafa Powwell out wide and this just made us even more vulnerable because as soon as Boertin and Palmer ventured forward on the overlap, when our piss poor attack was thwarted Smith and Gerrard were left chasing Olympic Athletes.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Think what's annoying most people is that we lost to Crewe. Crewe. I ask you. :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Exile wrote:Think what's annoying most people is that we lost to Crewe. Crewe. I ask you. :D

If we were Nottingham Forest, they'd be our Walsall. We never beat that bunch, more's the pity. Must go and look at the medals table again, just for some consolation.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Wrong Jeef.

What's annoying those who went is the fact that we have obvious quality within the squad but, as yet, we have not utilised that quality to best effect.

We have some seriously talent players inJabo, Hughes and Reich with Ricketts and Weston to come back in. What the manager needs to do is to support these talented players by utilising their strengths and playing a formation with players to suit.

That was not the case today.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:23 am

An excellent post by Jorge14. I wasn't there yesterday, and whilst part of me appreciates that a club of our stature cannot sustain decent performances without key players (Ricketts, Weston, Mattis), it strikes me that beyond our best eleven there ain't much. That's a sweeping generalisation I know, but its clear to see the difference between a honed professional and a make-weight from the youth team. Smith, Deeney, Taundry and Nicholls will again be played too much, or out of position, or both, because we simply don't have like-for-like replacements due to the squad we have. that's the owner and manager's responsibility.

I can't comment on the performance yesterday, but the four kids I mention have come in for adverse comment (I won't call it criticism, because it seems people are just genuinely concerned about their current quality) from some who did go. I'm not at all convinced by Mullen's claim that there is competition in every position.

Onwards and upwards - Sarfend next week.

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:42 am

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
Stu wrote:Jeez, after reading that OldPenk, I'll be reaching for the razor blades.

It hasn't been a great day. I knocked a full pint of beer over in the Pub before the game as well. :oops: :evil:

I know how much that would have have hurt, Kev. :mrgreen:

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 am

After yesterday’s awful awful performance. :evil:

The one positive note is that I didn’t stick to the floor in the Royal Hotel having my prematch pint. :)

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:42 am

very disappointing , the obvious problem is at centre back not sure how long Roberts is out for or if he is the answer .
JM must address the problem.
Weston , Mattis , Ricketts and i believe Bradley will improve the situation .i was impressed with Smith under DD maybe it to soon for him.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:44 am

King Crimson wrote:That's a sweeping generalisation I know, but its clear to see the difference between a honed professional and a make-weight from the youth team. Smith, Deeney, Taundry and Nicholls will again be played too much, or out of position, or both, because we simply don't have like-for-like replacements due to the squad we have. that's the owner and manager's responsibility.

The flip side is that if we had a 20-22 man squad of experienced pros, would the kids ever get a chance in the first team? Had Allan Picken not injured his knee, for example, then would we ever have heard about Scott Dann? I am still to be convinced about Manny Smith but we need to know whether our best young players (he's been reserve-team captain) can cut the mustard. There's no way a club of our size can have a squad good enough to be where we want to be, without at least some of them coming from within the youth set-up.

There are two key areas where we do lack cover, however: up front and centre-back. The fact we have had Nick Chadwick and Gary Breen on lengthy trial spells indicates that JM knows that. All rather after the horse has bolted, unfortunately.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:30 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:That's a sweeping generalisation I know, but its clear to see the difference between a honed professional and a make-weight from the youth team. Smith, Deeney, Taundry and Nicholls will again be played too much, or out of position, or both, because we simply don't have like-for-like replacements due to the squad we have. that's the owner and manager's responsibility.

The flip side is that if we had a 20-22 man squad of experienced pros, would the kids ever get a chance in the first team? Had Allan Picken not injured his knee, for example, then would we ever have heard about Scott Dann? I am still to be convinced about Manny Smith but we need to know whether our best young players (he's been reserve-team captain) can cut the mustard. There's no way a club of our size can have a squad good enough to be where we want to be, without at least some of them coming from within the youth set-up.

There are two key areas where we do lack cover, however: up front and centre-back. The fact we have had Nick Chadwick and Gary Breen on lengthy trial spells indicates that JM knows that. All rather after the horse has bolted, unfortunately.

At the age of 16, Dann was being touted as the hottest prospect at WFC. So, in short - yes. Why? Because even at a young age, he was clearly going to be good enough. Didn't hear such rumblings around Smith, Taundry and co. Reserve team captain? Big deal.

Salford_Saddler

Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:50 am

Boertien = Cack

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:02 pm

Salford_Saddler wrote:Boertien = Cack

That is a bit harsh, I thought he was one of our best player last season.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season