Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Crewe Alexandra (Away) League 1 Saturday 23/8/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Re: Crewe Alexandra (Away) League 1 Saturday 23/8/08.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 am

hope for a win i did want to go but flippin skint :(

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:28 pm

Team:
Ince
Palmer
Gerrard
Smith
Boertien
Nicholls
Hughes
Taundry
Zaaboub
Reich
Ibehre

Subs:
Gilmartin
Sansara
Demontagnac
Bradley
Deeney

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:22 pm

1-0 down. A kick up the proverbial, hopefully.

ram27

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:23 pm

I'm glad that Zola is out for Crewe; our defence continues to worry me though (did Weston get a 3 year contract on the back of last season and maybe Donny were right in offering Roberts a one year deal?) I suppose it's a bit early for knee-jerk reactions... oh hold on a minute, I'm on an UTS forum :D !

Out of curiosity, can anyone let me know how I can follow the progress of the team (other than being at the game) when I don't live locally: WM doesn't work in Derby; AOL used to do minute-by-minute commentary and that has ceased this season; premium tv is an option, but the coverage was dreadful last year and I ended up cancelling my contract because I could never tune in. Is there a BBC 'kick-by-kick' commentary or do I have to pay to get coverage nowadays?

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:24 pm

ram27 wrote:I'm glad that Zola is out for Crewe; our defence continues to worry me though (did Weston get a 3 year contract on the back of last season and maybe Donny were right in offering Roberts a one year deal?) I suppose it's a bit early for knee-jerk reactions... oh hold on a minute, I'm on an UTS forum :D !

Out of curiosity, can anyone let me know how I can follow the progress of the team (other than being at the game) when I don't live locally: WM doesn't work in Derby; AOL used to do minute-by-minute commentary and that has ceased this season; premium tv is an option, but the coverage was dreadful last year and I ended up cancelling my contract because I could never tune in. Is there a BBC 'kick-by-kick' commentary or do I have to pay to get coverage nowadays?

Channel 83 on Freeview, Sky Sports News.

1-0 Down :( Bloody hate Crew.
Still 1-1 hopefully.
Last edited by tape66 on Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ram27

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:32 pm

Thanks tape 66! Good old Jeff Stelling eh? I'll have to grin and bear Merson though!

Are there any websites that give more info? I can get the scores on AOL, but last year, you could see the team line-ups of any league team (and even Kiddy for that matter in non-league). This season, I can only find the equivalent (on AOL, yahoo, etc) for Premier league teams.

csssaddler

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:40 pm

Try this mate http://www.sportinglife.com/football/li ... 67435.html

if that doesnt work its sportinglife.com

Glitterati

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Live score centre on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

ram27

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:45 pm

This is more like it csssaddler - I appreciate your assistance 8)

This is a tad more comprehensive than the Express and Star
However when the mrs. gets back from shopping, I'm sure she won't allow me to 'waste my life' watching minute by minute summaries :wink:

It's good to see I'm not the only one who does this though (supporting Walsall is a bit like my passion for horse-racing gambling - I get my hopes up, it costs me money, I'm frequently disappointed and realise that the odds aren't great of success, but I just can't help myself!) At least I'm not at the Darren Wrack level yet though (joke)!

Cheers again, let's hope Walsall pick up the pace with a few furlongs to go (they are the saddlers afterall :wink: :mrgreen: )

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:50 pm

2-0 down. Improvement needed in the 2nd half.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:54 pm

Mullen Out. :mrgreen:

But seriously....Naive and negative - Haven't been impressed with him at all so far. Lets hope he turns it around.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:57 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Mullen Out. :mrgreen:

But seriously....Naive and negative - Haven't been impressed with him at all so far. Lets hope he turns it around.

Getting less and less impressed with him all the time. I think we have a good team, he just does not know what to do with it... yet :?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:01 pm

tape66 wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Mullen Out. :mrgreen:

Getting less and less impressed with him all the time. I think we have a good team, he just does not know what to do with it... yet :?

Yup, thats my view. And we cant wait until christmas til he finds out.

red until im dead

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Hughes

tape66
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Yes, One more please lads.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:21 pm

2-1 Hughes. The comeback is on?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Come on Mullen's Militia - do the business!!!

ram27

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Another betting slip torn in two! D'oh!

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Bah!!!

I will be interested to read the reports from those that were there - were Crewe good?

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:03 pm

Sounds like a game of two halves - poor in the first better in the 2nd. But you can't afford to give teams a 2-goal start.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:05 pm

Spoke to a few people at the game. Apparently we were clueless and diar.

Reich was put on the left wing, and Ishmel on the right wing ? That is pretty shocking tactics to be fair.

I think Mullens saving grace is our fortuitous start to the season and the fact we have some players missing. but again I think he is not the man f or the job. Right players, wrong manager.

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:21 pm

mullen Needs to go

4 games so far, all of them below par .

you might still think the sun shines out of his backside saddlers fans but in ten games time when we are in relgation zone youll all be moaning about him too

(i really hope im proved wrong )

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:27 pm

had a thought it could be too good to be true saying that the moaning of the other sides on radio WM will give me a smile

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm

Oh for goodness sake, the panic and over-reaction on here just gets so ridiculous. That is our FIRST league defeat of the season. We got a draw at Yeovil, where today Leeds, THE favourites for the title, also only managed a draw. We beat Scunny, who are just down from the Championship.

I am still to be convinced about Mr Mullen, but I'm certainly not going to over-react at this stage and judge him on 3 league games (in fact, if I did it would not be a damning assessment). How ANYONE can start saying "Mullen Out" is beyond me. Get some perspective people.

Just to pick up on a couple of points made;

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Spoke to a few people at the game. Apparently we were clueless and diar.

Interestingly that's NOT what was said on WM. A spirited second half attacking performance in which we really deserved to get an equaliser apparently.

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Reich was put on the left wing, and Ishmel on the right wing ? That is pretty shocking tactics to be fair..

How is that definitely "shocking tactics"? You weren't at the match. How do you know that Mr Mullen didn't assess the situation and decide that the two Crewe fullbacks had everything under control on their "good" foot but needed to be attacked on their weaker side? Reich has apparently played this role at times in his career, cutting inside onto the full-back's weaker side, which obviously gives the attacker an advantage

Give the manager and the team a chance. We all knew it came together late. We all said it would take a fair few games for the team to gel. We're also missing, in Weston, Mattis and Ricketts, three of our best players. And yet we still have a record of W1 D1 L1.
Last edited by ShropsSaddler on Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:29 pm

AlexTheWalsallFan wrote:mullen Needs to go

4 games so far, all of them below par .

you might still think the sun shines out of his backside saddlers fans but in ten games time when we are in relgation zone youll all be moaning about him too

(i really hope im proved wrong )

To be fair I don't think any Saddlers fan has suggested the sun shines or has ever shone from within the backside of the Mullen - unlike Merson (for example) who proved a number of people wrong, all Jimmy is doing is what everyone expected.

Still - early days and I , like you, hope you are wrong :P

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:33 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:Oh for goodness sake, the panic and over-reaction on here just gets so ridiculous. That is our FIRST league defeat of the season. We got a draw at Yeovil, where today Leeds, THE favourites for the title, also only managed a draw. We beat Scunny, who are just down from the Championship.

I am still to be convinced about Mr Mullen, but I'm certainly not going to over-react at this stage and judge him on 3 league games (in fact, if I did it would not be a damning assessment). How ANYONE can start saying "Mullen Out" is beyond me. Get some perspective people.

Just to pick up on a couple of points made;

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Spoke to a few people at the game. Apparently we were clueless and diar.

Interestingly that's NOT what was said on WM. A spirited second half attacking performance in which we really deserved to get an equaliser apparently.

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Reich was put on the left wing, and Ishmel on the right wing ? That is pretty shocking tactics to be fair..

How is that definitely "shocking tactics"? You weren't at the match. How do you know that Mr Mullen didn't assess the situation and decide that the two Crewe fullbacks had everything under control on their "good" foot but needed to be attacked on their weaker side? Reich has apparently played this role at times in his career, cutting inside onto the full-back's weaker side, which obviously gives the attacker an advantage

Give the manager and the team a chance. We all knew it came together late. We all said it would take a fair few games for the team to gel. We're also missing, in Weston, Mattis and Ricketts, three of our best players. And yet we still have a record of W1 D1 L1.

WM talks about as much sense as me on God threads. In other words, they talk rubbish. Ignore what the say.

second of all, this is based on the end of last season, pre season and 4 games this season. we have lost 2 games not one, one being against an inferior league two side. I had serious reservations on his appointment, as it was the cheap option. What is the point of having good players with a second rate used car salesman as manager ?

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:second of all, this is based on the end of last season, pre season and 4 games this season. we have lost 2 games not one, one being against an inferior league two side. I had serious reservations on his appointment, as it was the cheap option. What is the point of having good players with a second rate used car salesman as manager ?

I'm sorry but that pathetic cheap jibe does you no favours at all. Mr Mullen has been a very successful manager at times in his career. Of course it remains to be seen whether he can attain that success again. And I would have some sympathy and respect for your views if you didn't throw in the cheap insults.

To be fair to Mr Mullen, I don't think he can be judged at all on the end of last season. With various bad influences (the two main ones whose surnames were remarkably similar), the dressing room had "gone". He had no hope. About as much as Broadhurst had following on from Merson.

This season is different. He has brought in some excellent players and he now has to get them settled down as soon as possible and start delivering the goods. I have no firm views either way at the moment. I really hope he does succeed because that means Walsall succeed. I discount the cup match, that doesn't matter to me nor I suspect the club,plus we were down to 10 men through the stupidity of one player. But our league record so far is OK. We need to win our next match, which is at home, and then we'll be around about on play-off form. Keep that up for the season and we'll not be far off. I suspect we can only get better as a team as players get fit and the team get to know each other. But, of course, only time will tell.....

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:47 pm

ShropsSaddler wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:second of all, this is based on the end of last season, pre season and 4 games this season. we have lost 2 games not one, one being against an inferior league two side. I had serious reservations on his appointment, as it was the cheap option. What is the point of having good players with a second rate used car salesman as manager ?

I'm sorry but that pathetic cheap jibe does you no favours at all. Mr Mullen has been a very successful manager at times in his career. Of course it remains to be seen whether he can attain that success again. And I would have some sympathy and respect for your views if you didn't throw in the cheap insults.

To be fair to Mr Mullen, I don't think he can be judged at all on the end of last season. With various bad influences (the two main ones whose surnames were remarkably similar), the dressing room had "gone". He had no hope. About as much as Broadhurst had following on from Merson.

This season is different. He has brought in some excellent players and he now has to get them settled down as soon as possible and start delivering the goods. I have no firm views either way at the moment. I really hope he does succeed because that means Walsall succeed. I discount the cup match, that doesn't matter to me nor I suspect the club,plus we were down to 10 men through the stupidity of one player. But our league record so far is OK. We need to win our next match, which is at home, and then we'll be around about on play-off form. Keep that up for the season and we'll not be far off. I suspect we can only get better as a team as players get fit and the team get to know each other. But, of course, only time will tell.....

Yup, agree with a lot of that. But don't tell me he wasn't the cheap option - cos he was. Its the tactics and negativity more than anything which concerns me you see.

THE_BURNING_RED
UTS Regular

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:51 pm

just listened to mullen on radio glad he is feeling as angry as the rest of us :lol:

ShropsSaddler
Glitterati

Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:52 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
ShropsSaddler wrote:Yup, agree with a lot of that. But don't tell me he wasn't the cheap option - cos he was. Its the tactics and negativity more than anything which concerns me you see.

He WASN'T the cheap option!!!! :wink:

Oh alright then, I admit he was

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season