Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Darlington (Home) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 12/8/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
stefano123
UTS Regular

Re: Darlington (Home) Carling Cup 1st Round Tuesday 12/8/08.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:50 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:Well after their second goal I was discusted at the way one of our fans stood up by the wall having a go at Gerrard! Good on Gerrard having a go back.He won't stay with us now, and to be honest I wouldn't blame him if he went.

I wasnt there but have been told by three at the ground it was his fault. What should a fan do? "Oh well done Ant for throwing the game away"? :?
If he cant take criticism then tough luck. He's an arrogant barsteward anyway.

constructive criticism fine. but some idiot shouting abuse?!?! thats not on.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:51 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
cal wfc fan wrote:Well after their second goal I was discusted at the way one of our fans stood up by the wall having a go at Gerrard! Good on Gerrard having a go back.He won't stay with us now, and to be honest I wouldn't blame him if he went.

I wasnt there but have been told by three at the ground it was his fault. What should a fan do? "Oh well done Ant for throwing the game away"? :?

I would hardly call a loud mouth yob calling Gerrard all names under the sun criticism. I was in the upper stand and heard what the fool was shouting. However Gerrard should have just walked off and concentrated on his game.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:55 pm

tape66 wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

I would hardly call a loud mouth yob calling Gerrard all names under the sun criticism. I was in the upper stand and heard what the fool was shouting. However Gerrard should have just walked off and concentrated on his game.

Thing is, there are too many idiots, too often having a go at the players. it wears thin after a while, don't you think? And some wonder why all our best talent moves on...

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:57 pm

My point exactly!

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:58 pm

stefano123 wrote:
tape66 wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

Thing is, there are too many idiots, too often having a go at the players. it wears thin after a while, don't you think? And some wonder why all our best talent moves on...

I agree mate. A lot of idiots do stay away as well, even though they comment on the game :wink:

Michal
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:59 pm

How Netan Sansara played tonight? I read he hadn't a good game.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:00 pm

stefano123 wrote:
tape66 wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

Thing is, there are too many idiots, too often having a go at the players. it wears thin after a while, don't you think? And some wonder why all our best talent moves on... the incessant whining of some is enough to drive anyone away/mad; especially, when it is a trivial game against Darlington!

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 pm

tape66 wrote:
stefano123 wrote:
tape66 wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

I agree mate. A lot of idiots do stay away as well, even though they comment on the game :wink:

Said that idiot, that paid a tenner to see us lose in the Carling cup :mrgreen:

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 pm

You will always get 'fans' at matches shout abuse at players, its something I personally would never do but it happens at every club and we are no exception.Gerrard should just walk away and behave professionally.If he really wants to play at a higher level then the miniscule criticism he might get directed at him at Walsall will be nothing in comparison to bigger clubs.
Beckham et al have vile things sung to them , but they get on with letting their feet do the talking and going home to their mansions.Gerrard should do the same and not get involved in a slanging match - its not worth it and he gets paid a lot of money to be above such things.
Footballers even at Walsalls level need to have discipline or you end up with what happened tonight aka Ricketts all the time.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Michal wrote:How Netan Sansara played tonight? I read he hadn't a good game.

he didn't impress me tonight to be honest. i would say he was a fault for their 1st goal and showed inexperience at times. i dont want to be overly critical of the lad and maybe i was expecting too much after the good reviews he got on Saturday. i was surprised not to see Boertien using this game to gain some match fitness though because, on tonight's evidence per se, he is a better player for me.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:03 pm

Louise wrote:You will always get 'fans' at matches shout abuse at players, its something I personally would never do but it happens at every club and we are no exception.Gerrard should just walk away and behave professionally.If he really wants to play at a higher level then the miniscule criticism he might get directed at him at Walsall will be nothing in comparison to bigger clubs.
Beckham et al have vile things sung to them , but they get on with letting their feet do the talking and going home to their mansions.Gerrard should do the same and not get involved in a slanging match - its not worth it and he gets paid a lot of money to be above such things.
Footballers even at Walsalls level need to have discipline or you end up with what happened tonight aka Ricketts all the time.

I agree.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:05 pm

Full Praise goes to Jabo Ibhere 2nite.....i thought he was awesome all game and ran his socks off!!!!

Ricketts was very stupid!! :evil: :evil:

The players need to up their game for saturday!!!

tape66
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
tape66 wrote:

Said that idiot, that paid a tenner to see us lose in the Carling cup :mrgreen:

I am sure a lot of people paid a tenner tonight, I however did not :wink:

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:08 pm

Just got back from the match.

Firstly - It is impossible to judge Jimmy's squad/team selection based upon tonights performance as we were ten men for so long.

We did pass the ball around well which is a positive. A number of the squad also looked good tonight.

Jabo - a very strong player who looked good with the ball at his feet and got himself into good positions. I expect very good things from him this season

Gerrard - solid as ever

Taundry - I though he looked good tonght, getting stuck in and good distribution

Palmer - looked good and fast

Zaaboub - for about three quarters of the match he did not seem to try and beat his man, but then when he did he looked dangerous - a confidence issue maybe?

I thought Ricketts looked good although he missed a sitter ... did not see what he did to get sent off but there seemed little complaint from others regarding whatever it was

Disappointed by Roberts contribution - he seemed to find space on the field to stand in thereby avoiding the ball with ease

I was very disappointed with the actions of the Darlington bench when they scored their second. If I was to throw a bottle full of water onto the pitch I would be thrown out of the ground. The forth official and our stewards clearly see a bottle being thrown into the crowd as less of an offense. I am pleased to hear that Walsall FC have asked the poilce to investigate this incident - however ecstatic a member of the bench is at the scoring of a goal, they need to act in a responsible and safe manner. Their attitude following the offence (jeering and swearing at the crowd) just compounded the situation.

So - we are out of the Carling Cup. Let's concentrate on the league! A very disappointing night but what I saw of our new squad tonight suggests to me that we have a better set of pieces than we did last season - it just remains to be seen if Jimmy M can put the jigsaw puzzle together.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Naive, Powderpuff & ultimately second rate. That's what that was.

In contrast to Saturday, both fullbacks looked well off the pace, the only players who looked to pass the ball to feet were Hughes and the again impressive Ibehre, and even the manager looked like he hadn't got a clue how to change things once we went behind.

I can't really comment fully on the Ricketts incident as I didn't see it. What I will say though, is that we simply can't afford to have players getting 3 match bans on the evidence of what our 'backup' players have to offer. Not being at the races in an ultimately pointless cup tie in front of less than 3000 fans is one thing, losing the game is another, and losing it whilst one of your 'best' players gets a 3 match ban is the next level in ridiculous behaviour.

Perhaps this was the reality check we needed. After all, the likes of Palmer, Taundry, Sansara, Deeney & Nicholls looked poor against a side in the league below the one we play most of our games in. Sacrificing 2 or 3 of those for 1 experienced player would be a no-brainer for me if I were Mullen. Taundry looks like he really wants to make it, but I can't help but feel he's been thrown in at the deep end too young.
Ibehre carried the team today. He always looked a threat on the rare ocassion he had decent service, but ws just let down by his team mates. Whilst I thought Hughes had another decent (without being outstanding) performance, I'd like to think a player of his pedigree can stamp a bit more authority on games like that, which he didn't do. Mind you, he was effectively playing the role of babysitter to the likes of Nicholls and Taundry for much of the game.

Bonser really is seeing the effects of this 'home grown' team he raved about 12 months ago. They got beaten by a League Two side at home, whilst only 2700 people could be bothered to come (many of whom paid nothing to attend). What a fantastic vision.
Of course, the beauty about football is that the next game is just around the corner. I sincerely hope that this post is made to look ridiculous by an impressive performance on Saturday but frankly, I won't be holding my breath.

oozybo

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:10 pm

Why so much criticism aimed at Gerrard? He showed far more commitment than all except Jabo.I wonder where the brains of some of our fans are at times when they open their mouths.They certainly aint the voices of people who have kicked a ball since world cupdoubles in the playground.

Ricketts deserves to be slated if he has decked their lad. I missed it to be fair. Jabo and Ricketts really could produce this season as long as Jabo hasn't run himself into the ground. What i didn't get tonight was why Ishy wasn't introduced to 'get at them'.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:11 pm

Louise wrote:You will always get 'fans' at matches shout abuse at players, its something I personally would never do but it happens at every club and we are no exception.Gerrard should just walk away and behave professionally.If he really wants to play at a higher level then the miniscule criticism he might get directed at him at Walsall will be nothing in comparison to bigger clubs.

So that makes it alright then does it? because 'you will always get it'? i think if i was earning as much as Beckham i could handle as much abuse as fans could throw because im goin home to a rather lovely wife! As much as it kills me, playing at the Bescot isnt as illustrious as Old Tradford, the Bernbeau or even the Home Depot Centre. BTW i dont think Gezza goes home to 'his mansion' like Becks and co. The reason 'you will always get' idiots is because they are tolerated and people accept it as 'part of the game'. just as racism was accepted as 'part of the game'; didnt make that right though did it? Again i reiterate and people wonder why our best talent leaves...

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:17 pm

stefano123 wrote:

So that makes it alright then does it? because 'you will always get it'? i think if i was earning as much as Beckham i could handle as much abuse as fans could throw because im goin home to a rather lovely wife! As much as it kills me, playing at the Bescot isnt as illustrious as Old Tradford, the Bernbeau or even the Home Depot Centre. BTW i dont think Gezza goes home to 'his mansion' like Becks and co. The reason 'you will always get' idiots is because they are tolerated and people accept it as 'part of the game'. just as racism was accepted as 'part of the game'; didnt make that right though did it? Again i reiterate and people wonder why our best talent leaves...

'Cus our chairman wants the cash???

Sorry couldnt resist, but will take tape's advice and leave this thread to the FANS that went tonight. :wink:

cal wfc fan
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:20 pm

oozybo wrote:Why so much criticism aimed at Gerrard? He showed far more commitment than all except Jabo.I wonder where the brains of some of our fans are at times when they open their mouths.They certainly aint the voices of people who have kicked a ball since world cupdoubles in the playground.

Ricketts deserves to be slated if he has decked their lad. I missed it to be fair. Jabo and Ricketts really could produce this season as long as Jabo hasn't run himself into the ground. What i didn't get tonight was why Ishy wasn't introduced to 'get at them'.

I should imagin JM didn't want to risk him having a red card aswel, which could quite easily have happened with the ref we had!

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:22 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:
stefano123 wrote:

'Cus our chairman wants the cash???

Sorry couldnt resist, but will take tape's advice and leave this thread to the FANS that went tonight. :wink:

Another fair point that i missed! :)

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Exile wrote:Mick Kearns (8.15pm): I think the players need to get wider.

Mick Kearns (8.27pm): The players aren't getting to the centre enough.

MK is surely the worst and most depressing pundit i've ever heard, its almost worth going to the match (which i did against my better judgement) in order not to have to listen to him

Graydon48
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:25 pm

stefano123 wrote:
tinned wrote:Okay, still early in the season, still gaining full fitness, still getting to know each other,player sent off. All fair points. Yet still don't tell the story of a match that we were out battled and outh thought by a bog-standard League 2 side. We need a massive improvement in the coming weeks if we're not going to find ourselves playing catch-up. Ricketts sending off aside, we lacked any real attacking intent whatsoever. The lack of pace was frightening. Why was Ishy not brought on to frighten their full backs a bit?

As mentioned above with Ricketts suspended for 3(?) games and Roberts, Bradley, Mattis & Weston all possibly injured then the threadbare squad is evident for all to see. I still stick to my previous post that another striker is an absolute must if we're hoping to have any chance at a play off tilt this season.

I couldn't understand why it took until the 85th minute before we really started to have a go at them. I know Mullen has been out of the game for a few years but you don't think he still thinks it's a two legged tie do you? :wink:

We play like this on Saturday and Scunthorpe will think it's Christmas come early.

there keeper made at least 3 top saves and hughes missed a sitter if two had gone in i think you would be writing a different post-match report...
i dont agree we were out battled i think the lads held there own with 10 men - we were unlucky - but i do think that it is "still early in the season, still gaining full fitness, still getting to know each other,player sent off" were all massive factors
i do agreee that the game was crying out for ishmel and cover for the first 11 looks inexperienced and potentially weak.

I can never quite understand the "still gaining match fitness".
So cos Darlington won does that mean thev'e reached their match fitness and we haven't ?

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:26 pm

palmer looks a league two squad player, frenchie couldn't get in the game, liked look of hughes and jabo and reich when he came on

lets hope it was a bad day at the office

although to be fair, was quite disapointed with mullens inability to change the shape and personel until the inevitable happened and they scored thier 2nd

oozybo

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:27 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
oozybo wrote:Why so much criticism aimed at Gerrard? He showed far more commitment than all except Jabo.I wonder where the brains of some of our fans are at times when they open their mouths.They certainly aint the voices of people who have kicked a ball since world cupdoubles in the playground.

I should imagin JM didn't want to risk him having a red card aswel, which could quite easily have happened with the ref we had!

They were there to be run at. He said in the press that we would take each game and opponent as serious as the next. In which case we should have thrown everything at them in the last ten at least.

Walsall Loyal
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:28 pm

stefano123 wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

think cricket's more your game pal

oozybo

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:32 pm

Walsall Loyal wrote:
stefano123 wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:

think cricket's more your game pal

Ok, we all pay to go and to give our opinion when we feel the need but when it clearly has an effect on a player, one who is key to any success this season, then for me i don't see the point in giving out abuse.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:34 pm

Just got back - very very disappointed. I thought we were poor until we scored. I was hoping that would be the stimulus to open the floodgates but we just fizzled out. I too missed the incident that resulted in Ricketts being sent off. Again very disappointed with that. Sadly I was sat in the family stand with my lads right next to the Darlington fans so their chanting made the situation worse.

I agree with the summaries above but would just like to say that I was very impressed with Jabo Ibehere.

I hope this is a blip. I was considering coming down for Scunny on Saturday - but it would seem like I'm a bit of a Jonah. :(

Bernie
UTS Legend

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 pm

cal wfc fan wrote:
oozybo wrote:What i didn't get tonight was why Ishy wasn't introduced to 'get at them'.

It is 875 days since Ishmel was sent off in a first team game. It was 21st March 2006, when he was still only 17 years old and Kevan Broadhurst was our manager.

I was not at the match tonight - I would be interested to hear about Sofiene Zaaboub's performance. Did he get past the defenders very often? What sort of crosses did he put over? Did he create any chances for other players? Did he look like scoring his second goal in English football? In fact what end product did he produce?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:39 pm

Quite frankly, even when it was 11 v. 11, Darlington looked the better team and Ricketts's dismissal merely compounded the problem. I didn't see the off-the-ball incident (along, I guess, with 99% of those fans howling for the referee's blood) so I can't comment on it but the referee was very close to it. We may see more on tv or Virgin Media.

Our back line looked very uncertain against a slick moving Quakers' forward line and we were guilty of many wild, late tackles. Admittedly, a couple of the Darlington players appeared to have difficulty remaining vertical, at times, but, by and large, the fouls that we conceded were correct decisions. In contrast, we did carve out a few chances but the finishing was awful.

Ince - o.k. and couldn't be faulted for the goals
Palmer - useful utility performance at full-back and then in midfield in the closing stages
Gerrard - usual display, solid tackling, poor distribution
Roberts - I have yet to be convinced by this guy. He has little physical presence and does not dominate
Sansara - an encouraging performance
Nicholls - disappointing; promised a lot but delivered little
Hughes - steady and getting better as he gets fitter
Taundry - better than he has been recently and switched with Palmer in the closing stages
Zaaboub - I was beginning to despair of ever seeing him take on and beat his opponent until he actually did it - once! A cracking shot on the end of it, too.
Ibehre - won MotM; very impressed with his work rate and his ability to hold off and beat defenders but his finishing was awful
Ricketts - scored the goal, missed an absolute sitter, got sent off (I don't know why but I suspect that it was for elbowing Ravenhill in the face)

Reich - looked good when he came on
Smith - an improvement on Roberts when he replaced him
Deeney - not on long enough to pass an opinion - involved in fracas with a spectator at the final whistle

A big talking point will be the uselessness of our stewards when the Darlington coach threw a bottle of water into the stand in celebrating their 2nd goal. If a spectator had done that, he would have been ejected immediately, received a life ban and an appearance in the Magistrates' Court. What did our stewards, barely 3 yards from the incident, bedecked in their hi-vis jackets and radio transceivers, do? Absolutely nothing!!! Quite disgraceful.

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:45 pm

Since someone asked specifically about Zaboub, Ill mention this I thought his crossing isnt as good as I'd hoped.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season