Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

5/8/2008 WBA (h)

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: 5/8/2008 WBA (h)

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:
Exile wrote:Mattis playing CB.

Ince injured?

Let's hope it's not too serious, the lads on wm say he was holding his hamstring.

If it's serious then wouldn't be suprised if we get a keeper on loan

How about Gil Martin? Where's he now? :D

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:23 pm

Sansara on for Boertien

Ince is injured, replaced by Gilmartin.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 pm

Exile wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:

Ince injured?

Let's hope it's not too serious, the lads on wm say he was holding his hamstring.

Maybe now it's time to make a call to West Ham :lol: 8)

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 pm

Deeney!

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 pm

2-0 Deeney, pleased for the lad.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 pm

PerStener wrote:
Exile wrote:
Deano_Saddler wrote:

Ince injured?

Maybe now it's time to make a call to West Ham :lol: 8)

I'd rather make a call to West Ham than having to put up with Gilmartin

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:29 pm

Deano_Saddler wrote:I'd rather make a call to West Ham than having to put up with Gilmartin

He's kept a clean sheet so far. :mrgreen:

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:34 pm

Lets hope Clayton's OK for saturday, but if it is a hamstring that's a big problem.

Fear not, if necessary, I shall be borrowing Kiansmom's pink gloves and will play in goal myself.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:36 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:Lets hope Clayton's OK for saturday, but if it is a hamstring that's a big problem.

Fear not, if necessary, I shall be borrowing Kiansmom's pink gloves and will play in goal myself.

Fear not? What's NOT to fear?? :D

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Minus the potentially serious injury to Ince, that was pretty much what we needed as our last performance before the season starts by the sounds.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Was quite impressed tbh. Most of the new signings impressed me. I hope Zaaboub was having an off day otherwise I have concerns in that department.

I do worry where enough goals are going to come from. Ibehre looked like the typical hustler and bustler and his work rate was spot on, I just wonder if he's got the killer instinct we so desperately need.

I don't want to tempt fate but as Ince walked past where I was sitting he didn't look all that worried. Hopefully it's just a precaution. Deano, although I don't think Gilmartin could be a long term answer i think you do him a dis-service. At Bolmere last week he was excellent and could've/would've lost without a couple top draw saves.

Ishy was very impressive up front but the difference he gave wide left after Zaaboub went off was immense. We looked far, far more of a threat with Ishy there.

WFC_Jimmy
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:21 pm

i went to the match tonight and i am very pleased with the new crop of players JM has brought in.....

Roberts looks steady at the back aswell as Palmer....

Reich looked a very classy player....

and i think hughes and mattis looked comfortable in midfield but i did think that ayre had a nice touch and read the game well, i would give him a year deal imo.....

also i sat in the health stand tonight and noticed a player wearing a kiddy tracksuit, watching the game...anyone else saw him?? not quite sure if it was Russ Penn?! :?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:33 pm

WFC_Jimmy wrote:also i sat in the health stand tonight and noticed a player wearing a kiddy tracksuit, watching the game...anyone else saw him?? not quite sure if it was Russ Penn?!

How tall was he? :D

UTS Legend

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:36 pm

Attendance 4113. More home fans than last tuesday.

addo
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Interesting spot before the game, as I walked past the main entrance.

Allan Picken

What's he doing back in Walsall ? I thought he had returned to Oz.

I know that it was said that the door was always open for him to return if he could overcome his problems.

It would be fantastic if that was the case.
Last edited by addo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 pm

Just seen the goals on SkySports News. Deeney's was really well taken.

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:03 pm

Foxy and Dann were also in the crowd.

Solid at the back, even when the youngsters came on later on (Smith and particularly Sansara both good, Taundry looked solid), and nice to see Boertein back and playing well. Ishy had one of the best games I've ever seen him play, up front and on the wing, and he certainly looked better than Zaaboub when he switched out there - but Zaaboub does deliver a mean dead ball. Central midfield again looked great, and Reich looked very classy when he came on - pretty much ran the centre of the park. Nicholls looks better and better, and was really effective all game, whilst I like Ibehre the more I see him - big, strong and a handful for defences - I hope he can get his radar lined up. Troy had one disallowed and then scored a really good goal - and really pleased for the lad because he played well in the time he was on. Didn't see too much of Ayre and Chadwick to convince me - but others will have seen more and it seems we have people at the club who can spot what we need, so if they sign, they will deserve to do so. All in all a really good, fluid performance - good, passing, attacking football, but also sound in defence for the most part.

On this showing, we have a good squad with depth and some really fine young players, and we should do well this season. We'll surprise a few this season, and do so playing really good football. The only worry now is the severity of Clayton's injury, and whether Ricketts will be fit to play a part on Saturday. Otherwise we look good and I'm quietly confident.

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:11 pm

A pleasure to watch this game. Usually preseason games can be aweful and i dont go to many for that reason but tonight was well worth £12.

Two sides played tonight that both wanted to play football and knocked the ball around delightfully well. WE fully deserved the win tonight and i left the stadium with high hopes for this team for the coming season. This is my take on the starting XI

Ince - didn't have much to do but what he did, he did well. what we have come to expect from him.
Palmer - looked a good player. very solid. more than capable of filling in when asked, if tonight's performance was anything to go on. Was unlucky not to score too from a rasing right foot shot in the first half.
Boertien - looked solid as usual. distribution was good and was very capable defensively too. what we have come to expect of him when he's fit.
Roberts - Seems to be forming a good understanding with Gerrard, was good in the air and on the floor. Didnt seem to have much pace though?
Gezza - Same as always. threatening from set pieces and solid defensively. passing sometimes off the mark tonight.
Nicholls - for me he was MOM. ran at players and caused their left back no end of problems. was not afraid to have a go at goal either. looked our most dangerous player imo
Zaaboub - Looked a tidy player quiet tricky but lacked pace for a winger. Think Ishy could displace him, but as always, it depends on which Ishy turns up this season.
Hughes - Was a breath of fresh air in my opinion. Always wanted the ball and was always there to recieve it. His distribution and touch was 1st class.
Mathis - complemented Hughes very well did the donkey work and got stuck in but, not to do him an injustice, technically looked good too
Jabo - Held the ball up very well and laid it off well too. Reminded me of Emile Heskey. Good at linking the play without ever really threatening their goal.
Ishmel - Is never a striker in a million years if tonight was anything to go by - never looked interested whilst playing up front. However, when he switched to the left wing he looked a totally different player, as he could run at players from deep, and caused Hodgkiss more problems than Zaaboub did.

Other players that caught the eye for me and did well were Reich, Taundry and Deeney. Overall the whole team looked very ready for the season, played well and with style. Did not expect to come home with some an optimistic outlook but i have which is nice! If we are to push for a playoff or possibly an automatic spot, signing a striker (possibly Chadwick) and a backup keeper would be my priority.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 pm

stefano123 wrote:AHughes - Was a breath of fresh air in my opinion. Always wanted the ball and was always there to recieve it. His distribution and touch was 1st class.

That's exactly what I think we've signed him for. We've missed that sort of player since Samways left.

addo
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm

I was quite impressed tonight with most of the players, though I don't think I saw enough of Ayre & Chadwick to draw any conclusions.

The only disappointment for me was Taundry.

Whilst I do appreciate his commitment and enthusiasm I do have concerns over his positional play and his distribution.

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:49 pm

addo wrote:I was quite impressed tonight with most of the players, though I don't think I saw enough of Ayre & Chadwick to draw any conclusions.

The only disappointment for me was Taundry.

Whilst I do appreciate his commitment and enthusiasm I do have concerns over his positional play and his distribution.

You cant exactly expect a 100% performance from a 19 year old player who haven't had a full pre-season due to injury?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 am

hope Ince is ok . very pleasing performance .

I sent a text to WM last night on the subject of Gary Breen coming here , surprise surprise they didn't read it out .
wonder if anything to do with the fact i ended the text saying, From Dave in Aldridge UTS. :?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 am

Guest wrote:Attendance 4113. More home fans than last tuesday.

If only 3 more had turned up... :D

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:14 am

4143 wrote:

...... there would have been 4116.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:23 am

gerryhatrick wrote:
4143 wrote:

...... there would have been 4116.

That's what early mornings do to you. :oops:

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:43 am

Very enjoyable game, and the best I have seen us play for a while. Great to see Deeny score..... AT LAST :lol:
Looking forward to the start of the season now.

UTS

ram27

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:22 am

While not getting carried away, I agree with the optimism of the supporters after the Baggies match. Hughes stood out as a class act; Gerrard was excellent when he kept in simple (though he did some wayward passing that may have been punished in a more competitive match); Ishy danced about and kicked the ball out off his heel at one point - but don't get me wrong, there are signs of improvement (but he was never MOM). Just as Mullen praised Mattis's impact, I was really impressed with Jabo! True, his shooting boots weren't on (especially in the first five minutes) but the ball stuck to him like glue. Add Bradley and Ricketts to the mix (and I still hope we sign Chadwick until Xmas, maybe, like we did with Fangueiro) and the future's bright...

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:39 am

My first friendly of the close season and I was very impressed despite Mullen still experimenting with one or two players. I wasn't impressed because it was Albion because they only had the kids out (albeit one or two who looked class) but the way we knocked the ball about and out style of play.

We had pace throughout the team in Palmer, Nicholls, Zaboub and Ismel and Jabo up front, something we haven't had for a while.

In Jabo we finally have a player who can hold the ball up and his first touch is excellent, the ball sticks to him lick cack to a blanket. Far better as a hold up player that Money wanted Mooney to be last season. He's not a 20+ goals a season striker but that's not the point if that's what everyone is expecting then they won't rate him. His ability to hold the ball up allows the midfield and defence to catch up with play and push forward and the team did that very well. If he chips in with 8-10 goals then he's done his job and he seems capable of that because he can turn and get shots in which will go in against lesser opposition. It's up to the other strikers and midfield to get the majority of goals and with Rickett's and players in midfield capable of scoring this is easily possible.

Hughes looks to me to be our next O Connor or Samways. Comfortable on the ball, does nothing spectacular but always picks the right pass and is encouraging others around him. With Mattis alongside him and the prospect of Bradley as back up, thats the middle of the park sorted.

Defence looked more than good enough for this division. Gerrard was good but I'm still not sure he'll be around for too long now he's not captain and with other clubs watching him but we'll replace him well as we have done for others who have left in the past. Not sure about Roberts yet but he's good enough and can pass and Palmer looks like he could be the best right back we've had for a while with real pace and a good touch.

Nicholls impressed, as always skinning his man but still isn't always sure when to cross but I'd rather have him around the squad on the right than waiting to make a forward position his own which isn't likely to happen soon.

Ishmel looked comfortable up front, a position Money should have used him in far more often, and given a few games there he'll start to grow up. His pace is ideal alongside Jabo.

Deeney's workrate impressed a lot of people last season but his lack of goalscoring will always mean he gets impatient fans on his back. The way he took his goal last night shows he can do it but just needs another couple of goals like that early on and "it should help his confidence" ;) to score a few more.

Even after the changes we looked the better side and Reich will be good to watch and isn't afraid to have a pop from distance.

All in all some signs of a promising season. I appreciated what Money did and that he played a style of football that wasn't always easy on the eye but got results which we needed while he was around. The style of play under Mullen and Schofield seems to be a far way apart and the passing, was short, crisp and fluid. Rarely was a long ball played all night. If people stayed away because of Money's style of football or because they were unhappy with the strength of the squad then I urge you to eat some humble pie and get down The Bonks'ss's's's to at least see it for yourself because if we continue to play like that you'll only be cutting your noses off to spite your faces if you don't.

Red Adair

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:14 pm

Listening to BBC WM last night I was amused by a statement made by one of the commentators. He mentioned that a lot of the Saddlers side was made up of players "at the crossroads" or "misfits" such as Reich, Hughes, Mattis, Jabo, Ricketts. He referred to Walsall as the "dirty dozen". What do you think?

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 pm

I Said the same about Jabo after the Wolves game not a prolific goalscorer but will create plenty of chances for others.
excellent first touch.

its looking good

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season