Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Yeovil Town (Away) League 1 Saturday 9/8/08.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
UTS Legend

Re: Yeovil Town (Away) League 1 Saturday 9/8/08.

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:22 pm

For those hardy souls who braved the away terraces yesterday, I'm sure you would like to know that it was nice and sunny in Yeovil this morning...

Must get windscreen wipers fitted to my specs if I ever go to Yeovil again!

If you thought the journey by car was bad, try the train. First Great Western had only two carriages for the leg from Bristol. It was absolute mayhem it was so crowded! I almost couldn't get couldn't get off the train in Yeovil. The journey back to Bristol today was even worse - again only 2 carriages for thousands of holidaymakers!!

As for the game, we started well enough but lost our way rather after the slip which led to their goal. We could have easily conceded another goal or two. We definitely missed Mattis.

In the second half the wind seemed to be even stronger and was behind us (the team not the supporters) and Yeovil just could not get out of their half for much of the half. We certainly had enough chances to win.

First half - wet, windy and woeful.

Second half - wet, windier and ... well, we should have won!!

[mod noted - three mobile phone posts merged]

ws3
Glitterati

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:35 am

Guest wrote:For those hardy souls who braved the away terraces yesterday, I'm sure you would like to know that it was nice and sunny in Yeovil this morning...

Must get windscreen wipers fitted to my specs if I ever go to Yeovil again!

If you thought the journey by car was bad, try the train. First Great Western had only two carriages for the leg from Bristol. It was absolute mayhem it was so crowded! I almost couldn't get couldn't get off the train in Yeovil. The journey back to Bristol today was even worse - again only 2 carriages for thousands of holidaymakers!!

As for the game, we started well enough but lost our way rather after the slip which led to their goal. We could have easily conceded another goal or two. We definitely missed Mattis.

In the second half the wind seemed to be even stronger and was behind us (the team not the supporters) and Yeovil just could not get out of their half for much of the half. We certainly had enough chances to win.

First half - wet, windy and woeful.

Second half - wet, windier and ... well, we should have won!!

[mod noted - three mobile phone posts merged]

Not much better on the roads.

We stayed in Ilminster over night and had a trip to Weymouth on Sunday. The journey back was horrific. An accident on the M5 closed all three lanes, and for about an hour we were stood on the carriageway.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 pm

A good performance all round.

I thought the day had a number of positives.

The praise of Sansara is entirely justified. He coped very well against experienced, wily opponents such as Warne and never shirked a tackle. Decent distribution too led to a very assured performance.

I didn't hear much criticism of Palmer on the day, and thought he had a very good game, particularly coming forwards. Defensively, I would still prefer Weston, but compare the start Palmer made to Weston's first month and a half last season when he was woeful. Also, Palmer puts over a very effective dead ball.

I thought both Gerrard and Roberts were poor - but a central defensive partnership requires more time and understanding than perhaps any other position on the pitch. They are both solid players, and I'm sure it will come. The criticism of Roberts is OTT from some, and it was on the day. He made the mistake yes, but Gerrard should have done more to get back judging by the TV pictures (We missed Yeovil's goal). They didn't have much to do in the second half, and I was pleased that they passed the ball around on the deck in the last 45, as they both seemed very keen to hoof it, rather ridiculously considering the wind, up to Ibehre and Ricketts.

As has been said, Zaboob looks like he puts in a very good dead ball, and really gave the keeper a working over. I thought Nicholls worked hard on the opposite flank, but the quality was, ultimately, lacking. He was busy though, and forced the mistake for the goal but he was too quick to get rid of the ball on a few occasions when a run towards the by-line might have been the better option.

Hughes wasn't match fit but was very calm and assured. He is a class act at this level - I think we have finally replaced Kinsella and found another central midfielder who can play sensible football in the middle. Taundry isn't a central midfielder in my opinion, and I felt the game passed him by. I'd be interested to see how Chris Palmer might play in the centre of midfield.

I think the criticism of Ricketts is misplaced. His presence meant that Jabo could play the kind of bustling, all action performance that he turned in. He takes a central defender with him wherever he goes, and it is no coincidence that the Skiverton and the other centre back let their composure go throughout the second half. He should have done better with him two chances on goal, and was outperformed by Jabo. However, it wasn't a poor display by RIcketts. Far from it.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season