Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

2/8/08 - Port Fail (a)

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
bigbillyofdarlo

Re: 2/8/08 - Port Fail (a)

Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 pm

I was at the game yesterday and i totally disagree with the father and son combo of Shrop Saddler and Frazy 85.I know forums like this are about opinions so here is mine on yesterdays performance.As a team we struggled to get much consistentcy going until the second half when we started playing the ball to feet in little triangles.The first half we created numerous chances from playing the early ball up to the front two then winning the second ball and getting it out wide to zabooub and the overlapping sansara who in turn delivered crosses of quality on two or three occasions and vice versa.On the opposite side palmer and nicholls linked up well but had to do a lot of defending as vales left side was strong in the tackle and a good outlet for them once the ball had been played up to their front two.Our centre half pairing looked solid most of the game with the exception of the goal to which gerrard and roberts lost there men and then preceeded to mark the runners instead, which hughes and mattis had let go,and vale scored the goal.This was the only time mattis looked a yard short of pace as the rest of the game he broke up play distributed the ball with confidence.The front two(ricketts&ibhere) worked hard and were a handful for the vale defence throughout with ibhere's hold up play exceptional,and the link up play with ricketts potentially lethal for the season.The only worry will be if they can both score week in week out in what will be a tough league as they both wasted a couple of clear cut chances.Overall it was a comfortable performance against a poor team,with the squad still getting to know each other and new faces still blending in,but it shows we have got a squad with potential talent and experience mixed together to which this COULD be a good season for us.The performance wasnt as good as the games against Villa and Wolves but we wont come up against teams of that calibre all season as we obviously raised our game against them,but we cant WIN pretty all the time can we?? :?

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season