Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

29/7/08 - Dingles (h)

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
dadio1977

Re: 29/7/08 - Dingles (h)

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Did anyone catch the attendance? Heard four thousand and something before the WM commentator drowned out the rest....

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Nice to hear the commentators give a full squad review on Wolves but only mentioned 2-3 Walsall players when they did the review after full time :evil: :roll:

Did anyone hear the attendance?

PerStener
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:43 pm

dadio1977 wrote:Did anyone catch the attendance? Heard four thousand and something before the WM commentator drowned out the rest....

how many tickets where Wolves allocated?

They said before the match started that Wolves had sold all their allocated tickets.

dadio1977

Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 pm

Not sure, but the cheer for the goal was pretty loud - I'm a mile away and there sounded plenty there - and if the crowd was 4,000ish i'd say they had the majority number...

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:27 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:4,002 there and Wolves to win 3-1

I got the score wrong but there were 4,002 fans there!! People normally get close but to nail it 8)

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:39 pm

Exile wrote:Nice rendition of Wednesbury Road at the end, there!

I enjoyed it :mrgreen:

Glitterati

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Thought we played quite well against a near full-strength Wolves side.

Mattis played well - looked very committed to the cause despite it only being a friendly!

Ricketts should have scored twice. One cross by Nicholls was an absolute peach and was begging for Ricketts just to nod it into the bottom corner.

Suffo looked the best of the two striker trialists - Chadwick didn't see much of the ball at all.

The Australian guy looked OK - the next Allan Picken?

Thats my last friendly until the start of the season - roll on our first 3 points in the sunshine at Yeovil!!

UTS Legend

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:56 pm

Yes, Ricketts missed 2! The second one with only the keeper to beat - he put it past the same post as he did the header from 6 yards.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 pm

Considering I was well aware of the fact that we still need 2 good signings in midfield before the match started, I was reasonably impressed with what I saw against a Wolves side which had a lot of Championship experience and a handful of players with real quality.

Oddly enough, the signing which pleased me the most (except Ricketts), Zaaboub, disappointed me. He's obviously got a decent left foot, but isn't particularly pacy and isn't interested in any kind of defending. We looked much better when Ishmel came on and I actually saw a slightly more mature performance than I have done for a long while. He put one killer ball fizzing across the box which was begging to be touched in and made himself available in wide positions consistently.

This being my first sight of our 'new' side, I really can't see where the criticism of Ibehre has been coming from. He looks mobile, quick, strong and has a good touch. His link up play couldn't really be faulted and he looked willing to chase balls into the channels. The fact that he's different to Ricketts in many ways suggests that they could be a useful partnership - I just pray that he isn't slated before he's given things a real shot because I think he's got something about him.

In terms of the actual team performance, it could be argued that we should have won the game on the basis of us having more 'clear-cut' chances than them. A lung-bursting run by Mattis through the heart of the Wolves defence saw him round the keeper before seeing his shot blocked on the line by Elokobi, Ricketts had a similar chance which he flicked just wide and also bizarrely missed a free header from abou 8 yards out. We have to remember that defenders are quicker in the Championship than they are in League One and I think that played a part in the first two 'misses'. Otherwise, we just didn't have luck on our side.

Defensively we looked solid. Sansara looked decent considering he had his work cut out up against Kightly who is a real class act. Roberts is a no-nonsense defender who reads the game really well and slots in well alongside Gerrard.
We really are missing a midfield player who will sit just behind Mattis and let him make the forward runs he likes to make. Someone in the Samways mould will really suit us to the ground because we struggle to play the ball from the back through midfield at the moment, and Bradley isn't the sort of player who will do that job. Whether or not the Kavanagh rumour has much to it I'm not sure, but he'd be ideal.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 pm

WFC_Rob wrote:Considering I was well aware of the fact that we still need 2 good signings in midfield before the match started, I was reasonably impressed with what I saw against a Wolves side which had a lot of Championship experience and a handful of players with real quality.

Oddly enough, the signing which pleased me the most (except Ricketts), Zaaboub, disappointed me. He's obviously got a decent left foot, but isn't particularly pacy and isn't interested in any kind of defending. We looked much better when Ishmel came on and I actually saw a slightly more mature performance than I have done for a long while. He put one killer ball fizzing across the box which was begging to be touched in and made himself available in wide positions consistently.

This being my first sight of our 'new' side, I really can't see where the criticism of Ibehre has been coming from. He looks mobile, quick, strong and has a good touch. His link up play couldn't really be faulted and he looked willing to chase balls into the channels. The fact that he's different to Ricketts in many ways suggests that they could be a useful partnership - I just pray that he isn't slated before he's given things a real shot because I think he's got something about him.

In terms of the actual team performance, it could be argued that we should have won the game on the basis of us having more 'clear-cut' chances than them. A lung-bursting run by Mattis through the heart of the Wolves defence saw him round the keeper before seeing his shot blocked on the line by Elokobi, Ricketts had a similar chance which he flicked just wide and also bizarrely missed a free header from abou 8 yards out. We have to remember that defenders are quicker in the Championship than they are in League One and I think that played a part in the first two 'misses'. Otherwise, we just didn't have luck on our side.

Defensively we looked solid. Sansara looked decent considering he had his work cut out up against Kightly who is a real class act. Roberts is a no-nonsense defender who reads the game really well and slots in well alongside Gerrard.
We really are missing a midfield player who will sit just behind Mattis and let him make the forward runs he likes to make. Someone in the Samways mould will really suit us to the ground because we struggle to play the ball from the back through midfield at the moment, and Bradley isn't the sort of player who will do that job. Whether or not the Kavanagh rumour has much to it I'm not sure, but he'd be ideal.

Cheers for the report, people dont like Ibehre cause he wont score 20 goals. Sounds like the performance was similar to villa.

I think zabooub will be a match winnero n days, and a complette pile of guff on others. And thats the second time ive heard ishy having agood controlled game, although reports fromburton diddnt sound so promising. But we say this every season.

WFC_Rob
Site Addict

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:03 pm

latviancheese wrote:I think zabooub will be a match winnero n days, and a complette pile of guff on others. And thats the second time ive heard ishy having agood controlled game, although reports fromburton diddnt sound so promising. But we say this every season.

It does look like Zaaboub could be that sort of player, yeah. I hope we see him play as well as he did against us for Swindon because he looked quality on more than one occasion.
His boots certainly provide some amusement - red ones for the warm-up and bright orange ones for the game. He must be good. :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:23 am

WFC_Rob wrote:This being my first sight of our 'new' side, I really can't see where the criticism of Ibehre has been coming from.

That's easy - (i) ignorance and (ii) the moaners who slated the signing without having seen him play are now refusing to admit that they might have been wrong.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:32 am

OK....My only friendly so far but here goes.....

Ince, did well, couple of good saves and plenty of needless rolling about after simple catches. :)

Palmer, Cracking match. Thought he was really good. wouldn't mind in the squad.

Taundry, looked out of his depth at times, Wolves midfield got the ball off him too easily, midfield looked better when it was Bradley and Mattis.

Gerrard/Roberts...No nonsence central defence. Not a worry for me.

Zaaboub. Has that look about him that maybe he sometimes can't be bothered yet distributed OK and has pace.

Nicholls. Plenty of running and a few decent crosses but also a couple of elementry mistakes.

Pilowowowowskiiii - Not for me. Cought cold for their goal within a minute of coming on. We have better.

Sensara - On his first half showing, definatly one for the future. Good display for a kid against decent championship outfit. (yes, I thought they were decent!) :?

Mattis - I know people have doubts but he is definatly a good signing for me. Good running/distribution.

Ricketts - Showed what we were missing in patches towards the end of last season, Got behing there back line and pulled off defenders (oww-err) to create spaces. Should have scored 2.

Jabo - First time I've seen him and thought he was strong with decent distribution but without creating mutch.

Chadwick - lots of running into spaces but not enough of the ball for me to comment.

All in all I think the basis is there of a decent team. Credit where it's due I think Mullen has more of an eye for a player than Money (tin hat on)

Oh....And I also lined Bonsers pockets by buying 3 kids shirts fron the club shop. Does that make me a bad person?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:53 am

[quote="Cheesebag"]OK....My only friendly so far but here goes.....

Ince, did well, couple of good saves and plenty of needless rolling about after simple catches. :)

Palmer, Cracking match. Thought he was really good. wouldn't mind in the squad.

Taundry, looked out of his depth at times, Wolves midfield got the ball off him too easily, midfield looked better when it was Bradley and Mattis.

Gerrard/Roberts...No nonsence central defence. Not a worry for me.

Zaaboub. Has that look about him that maybe he sometimes can't be bothered yet distributed OK and has pace.

Nicholls. Plenty of running and a few decent crosses but also a couple of elementry mistakes.

Pilowowowowskiiii - Not for me. Cought cold for their goal within a minute of coming on. We have better.

Sensara - On his first half showing, definatly one for the future. Good display for a kid against decent championship outfit. (yes, I thought they were decent!) :?

Mattis - I know people have doubts but he is definatly a good signing for me. Good running/distribution.

Ricketts - Showed what we were missing in patches towards the end of last season, Got behing there back line and pulled off defenders (oww-err) to create spaces. Should have scored 2.

Jabo - First time I've seen him and thought he was strong with decent distribution but without creating mutch.

Chadwick - lots of running into spaces but not enough of the ball for me to comment.

All in all I think the basis is there of a decent team. Credit where it's due I think Mullen has more of an eye for a player than Money (tin hat on)

Oh....And I also lined Bonsers pockets by buying 3 kids shirts fron the club shop. Does that make me a bad person?[/quote]

YES! :roll: :D

fensaddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 am

My first friendly of the season too, and some random observations.

Really liked Sansara - its the first time I've seen him play for any length of time, and he looked very good - strong in the tackle, positionally decent, focused, and calm with the ball, able to make a decent pass out. He'll be in the team regularly this season. Likewise I think Palmer looked sound, and on this performance, looks like being worth signing. Ricketts showed enough to suggest he can be a key player for us - even if his radar was completely off last night. Nicholls looked effective, and Jabo is a handful. Mattis and Bradley looked a better midfield combination on the night.

Overall this was a decent performance - clearly Wolves pinned us back for spells, but in the main our defensive game looked solid, and increasingly in the second half we were able to stretch them and create chances. Still some work to do to make the team slicker and more cohesive, and some more strength in depth will be good, but this looks a side good enough to hold its own in League 1 next season.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:02 am

Fair summary there, Cheesebag. I would add that, imho, Roberts and Taundry started badly but both improved as the game went on. Sansara has now turned in two decent performances against very tricky opponents in Routledge and Kightly.

The criticism of Ibehre comes from people who HAVE seen him play, RS. I didn't go to Burton but I gather he had a good game there and he also played quite well, last night. However, in all of his previous games for us, he was dire. I think that much of his problem lies in the choice of playing partner. I don't think that it's just co-incidence that his poor displays came with Georges Ba alongside - too similar in style. I would still like to see him to get some shots in, though! If you don't shoot, you don't score.

To answer your last question, Cheesebag - yes, you are! :D :D :D

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:06 am

Unfortunately I have also purchased one for Liam - there is a rumour Cheesbag we will be reported to Social Services. Or Adult, Community and Housing Direcorate as we are entitled in Dudley MBC now.

Liam is planning to wear his at Edgbaston tomorrow - there will be no hiding now :oops:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:59 am

my thoughts on last nights game .
Jabo very impressive , he might not be an prolific goalscorer but very strong holds the ball up well and a nice first touch
he and Ricketts will form a useful partnership

Suffo . i can fully understand what JM said about him being 6 weeks behind in fitness terms , could be a good signing given more time some good off the ball running a couple of nice touches.

Chadwick , on that showing a complete waste of time , the only thing he did do was to get the way of Ricketts .

Roberts , no worries good defender he and Gerrard already have a good understanding.

Zaaboub , 1 or 2 little runs , never involved in the game a little disappointing.

Mattis , very impressive , 10 times the player Dobson was .

Piorkowski, didn't do a lot worth another look.

of the rest
Ince , 2 good save otherwise didn't have to do much
Sansara, Taundry and Palmer showed great promise
Nicholls . full of running 1 superb cross from which Ricketts should have scored , but i felt he tried to do to much .
Ishy - never got going although his apperance was greeted by big cheers from the Walsall faithful.
Gerrard , continued wherer he left off outstanding.
Ricketts , very lean and fit smiles all over his face during the warm up looks real quality .

All in all not a bad work out for both teams , Wolves fielded a strong side for the best part of an hour not a bad game as far as friendlies go.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:53 am

Pedagogue wrote:The criticism of Ibehre comes from people who HAVE seen him play, RS. I didn't go to Burton but I gather he had a good game there and he also played quite well, last night. However, in all of his previous games for us, he was dire. I think that much of his problem lies in the choice of playing partner. I don't think that it's just co-incidence that his poor displays came with Georges Ba alongside - too similar in style.

He wasn't dire against Villa. He was playing alongside Ba to start with then but - as I pointed out at the time - once he lined up with Suffo, he improved individually and we improved as a team. Much of the criticism of his performances (at Burton, against Villa) came from people who had already written him off on the basis of a few stats pulled off Soccerbase. I have no doubt that the same old people will give him no credit throughout the season, just as has happened with Walsall strikers ten thousand times before.

nb on the Dingles website, McCarthy said the game was their toughest of pre-season so far and that Mullen & Schofield had us well drilled.

Frazy85

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:39 am

Just thought id post my thoughts from the game last night, first pre season match for me this year.

Ince - Normal Ince, made 2 great saves, no worries.

Palmer - Looked good but got beaten in the air quite a few times, wasnt so sure when he moved to left back as his left foot is definitely a lot weaker than his right.

Sansara - Looked good for a young up and coming player, hopefully one for the future, didnt do much wrong.

Roberts and Gerrard - Very solid, liking Roberts a lot.

Nicholls - Did a lot of running, made a few mistakes at times but worked very hard and made a few good crosses.

Zaaboub - Awful if im honest, tried to give him time to impress, but he looked uninterested, and very poor. For the first time in a long time Ishy was the best left winger in the match for walsall.

Taundry - Looked quite poor but got better in the second half, i don't think he is fully fit yet but i think he will come good by the first few games of the season.

Mattis - Really superb, didnt seem to do much wrong. Looks like a much better Dobson.

Ibhere - He tried hard, but didnt really create anything. I do think he could be useful this season but i still dont think he will create a huge impact based on what i saw last night.

Suffo - Looked quite good but unfit. Made a few clumsy errors but still managed to create some chances and could be a good signing.

Subs -

Ricketts - Looked easily the best of the strikers when he came on. Granted he missed 2 chances however he was the only striker for Walsall throughout the match which managed to create a chance for himself, even if it did end up in a miss. Very exciting, when he gets more matches he should find the target more often again.

Australian Trialist (Cant remember his name!) - Looked a bit dodgy at times, he might need more time to settle but i dont think we will see much out of him, moving palmer to the left didnt help either.

Chadwick - Didnt get in the game once he came on, didnt look very lively in the time that he was on, dissappointing.

Bradley - Didnt see too much of Bradley, but he seemed to be alright, made a few mistakes though.

Ishy - First time in a long time that ive seen him put in a good and mature performance. I was told that he almost lashed out at someone which i didnt see, but he seemed to play very unselfishly and put in some great crosses.

Ive probably forgotten a few others that came on, but i thought it was a good performance and we should be able to do well this season. Wolves didnt look that brilliant i dont think, but kightly was a different class to the rest of the team.

Wyrley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:52 pm

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Rushall Saddler wrote:0 - 1. Keogh.

Ricketts on for Suffo.

Piorkowski on for Sansara.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I hope that was a 1 off

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I have no doubt that the same old people will give Ibehre no credit throughout the season, just as has happened with Walsall strikers ten thousand times before.

10,000 eh? Can you name them all? :wink:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:21 pm

Exile wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:I have no doubt that the same old people will give Ibehre no credit throughout the season, just as has happened with Walsall strikers ten thousand times before.

10,000 eh? Can you name them all? :wink:

9,999 were Michael Ricketts. I think the other may have been Athuman Chine.

Previous
Return to 2008-09 Season