Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Halesowen Town (a) 25/07/08

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Halesowen Town (a) 25/07/08

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:46 pm

Never mind starting a thread for Burton on Saturday - this is the one game I get the chance to get the match report in before Pedagogue. My aim this year is 10.00pm - if I recognise all of the trialists :oops: Hopefully Liam will be with me to help.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: Halesowen Town (a) 25/07/08

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:58 pm

Don't forget that cup of tea that you promised me! :D

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:35 pm

1. Tom Cox
2. Darryl Westlake
3. Netan Sansara
4. Charlton Davies
5. Manny Smith
6. Tom Schwarz
7. Harry Harris
8. Keegan Ayre
9. Troy Deeney
10. Josh Craddock
11. Hassan Bacchus
12. Mark Lowe
14. Alex Hickman
15. George Bowerman

0-0 last I heard.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:38 pm

Lost 2-0.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:13 pm

Very disappointing and confirm we lost 2-0 and if it wasn't for Tom Cox it probably would have been 5 or 6.

Fast, incisive passing, strong at the back with a strong, physical presence up front - but that was Halsowen. Probably the best Halesowen team I have seen against Walsall in my time of going to the Grove. Darren Caskey whilst a loud mouthed cockney git has certainly got them playing a fast passing game that was very easy on the eye.

Walsall - well Netan stuck to his task quite well but as I say if it wasn't for Tom Cox it could have been a cricket score. Possibly it was Rushall all over again - men against boys. But most disappointing on the night were the performances of Manny at the back, Charlton Davies in midfield and Troy up front who never looked like scoring. In his defence he didn't have much of a service from midfield.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 pm

Halesowen Town 2 0 Saddlers XI
played at The Grove

Attendance:- 339

Walsall
Tom Cox

Darryl Westlake
Manny Smith (Capt.)
Tom Schwarz
Netan Sansara

Harry Harris (Mark Lowe, 79 min.)
Charlton Davies (Alex Hickman, 79 min.)
Keegan Ayre
Hassan Bacchus

Troy Deeney
Josh Craddock (George Bowerman, 79min.)

Manager:- John Schofield, assisted by Eric McManus

Goal Log:-
52nd min. - 1-0 - the ball was headed back across the Saddlers' penalty area for an unopposed header.
90th min. - 2-0 - another header from a left wing corner.

Comments:-
The first half definitely belonged to the Yeltz. Their lively attack, featuring Justin Rowe, a player who impressed me on the 3 or 4 occasions I saw him playing for Sutton Coldfield Town, last season, gave the young Saddlers' back line a hard time. Fortunately for us, Halesowen's finishing did not match their approach play. Halesowen were skippered by Darren Caskey, the former Tottenham and Reading player (well, he lasted 28 minutes, any way).
The second half followed the same pattern as the first.

Defence:- Cox is not very dominant but he made some crucial saves in the first half. Westlake was o.k. but made a few mistakes. Sansara was the pick of the back line where Smith and Schwarz were very indecisive in the first half.
Midfield:- Harris and Bacchus tried to inject a bit of life into the proceedings while Davies had a quiet, steady game. Ayre was the main centre of attention for us, of course. I have to say that the game passed the young Canadian by for large periods of the match.
Attack:- Non-existent. Deeney was very poor while Craddock had a nightmare. The Craddock situation puzzles me. He was given a first team debut at the end of last season without ever playing for the reserves. He has been given a pro contract and a first team squad number, despite still being a youth team player. He is obviously rated at Bescot but, tonight, he looked what he was - a boy against men. I hope that the expectation does not prove too much for him. I have similar worries about Geddes. Better that they learn their trade in the relative anonymity of the youth and reserve teams until they are ready for the first team spotlight.
Altogether a disappointing night for the Saddlers and a thoroughly deserved win for the Yeltz.
Walsall MotM=Tom Cox

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:17 am

But, on the positive side, it was a nice Summer evening out. :idea:

:?

Return to 2008-09 Season