Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

26/7/08 - Burton Albion (a)

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Stephen

26/7/08 - Burton Albion (a)

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Where will the Walsall lot be?

Or just mixing in?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Re: 26/7/08 - Burton Albion (a)

Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 pm

There is an "away" end at the Pirelli Stadium.

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:02 pm

They have got a good set up there! :)

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:42 pm

If I am to do any friendly this season, this will be it. 10 mins up A38 for me, although a lot will depend on the weather (i.e. wether I can be bothered :mrgreen: )

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:54 pm

7-0 to the Super Saddlers . a trialist netting an hat-trick :mrgreen:

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:06 pm

Walsall to win 2-0, Ricketts both goals :mrgreen:

Stephen

Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:50 am

TERRACES:

Adults £7.00
Over 65s £5.00
Under 16s £3.00

MAIN STAND (SEATED):

Adults £9.00
Over 65s £7.00
Under 16s £5.00

walsall606

Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 pm

Any one know what the starting line up is?

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:47 pm

Losing 1-0. No Ricketts. Team as you expect.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:16 pm

Just got back. Lost 1-0, not much to shout about. Team was pretty much as you would expect, still no Weston or Bortien. Ricketts was there and warmed up, but not on the team sheet. In fact, he provided the only highlight of note, and those who were late in will have missed it. Whilst doing the crossbar challenge, one missed and came very hard at my 6 year old, he made a magnificent catch and held it falling backwards onto the terrace, got a bit of a cheer - once the attention had gone away, we had the tears :mrgreen: It was a hard shot - Ricketts did apologise to be fair.

Anyway, back to the match..... errr, dull. No-one really shone for me, although I though Roberts, Jabbo and Nichols did OK. Not convinced of Taundry as a full back. Ishy tried his best to get a booking in a friendly and was lucky not to get subbed, I would have taken him off. Nice afternoon, only spoilt by the football.

H

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:Just got back. Lost 1-0, not much to shout about. Team was pretty much as you would expect, still no Weston or Bortien. Ricketts was there and warmed up, but not on the team sheet. In fact, he provided the only highlight of note, and those who were late in will have missed it. Whilst doing the crossbar challenge, one missed and came very hard at my 6 year old, he made a magnificent catch and held it falling backwards onto the terrace, got a bit of a cheer - once the attention had gone away, we had the tears :mrgreen: It was a hard shot - Ricketts did apologise to be fair.

Anyway, back to the match..... errr, dull. No-one really shone for me, although I though Roberts, Jabbo and Nichols did OK. Not convinced of Taundry as a full back. Ishy tried his best to get a booking in a friendly and was lucky not to get subbed, I would have taken him off. Nice afternoon, only spoilt by the football.

It was Taundry's first action of pre season - give the kid a break.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:05 pm

Went to my first game of the pre season and my god Ibehre is bad. he looked worse than Vanessa Feltz in a bikini.
We need to sign either Chadwick or Suffo to partner Ricketts if we are to do anything this season, Roberts was MOTM for Walsall, he played well in spells.

Bradley looks so much thiner and smaller than last season and isnt the player I remember. Taundry was beaten quite easily. If we are to stay up we really need a change.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:25 pm

H wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:Just got back. Lost 1-0, not much to shout about. Team was pretty much as you would expect, still no Weston or Bortien. Ricketts was there and warmed up, but not on the team sheet. In fact, he provided the only highlight of note, and those who were late in will have missed it. Whilst doing the crossbar challenge, one missed and came very hard at my 6 year old, he made a magnificent catch and held it falling backwards onto the terrace, got a bit of a cheer - once the attention had gone away, we had the tears :mrgreen: It was a hard shot - Ricketts did apologise to be fair.

It was Taundry's first action of pre season - give the kid a break.

I hardly slated him, which TBH I could have done. I personally think he is a better midfielder than full back. The whole team looked lean and fit, including Ricketts - he looked very slimline.

OldPenkSaddler
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:00 pm

YGA Saddler wrote:Went to my first game of the pre season and my god Ibehre is bad. he looked worse than Vanessa Feltz in a bikini.

Crikey, I thought he was bad but even I ain't that harsh. :lol:

IMHO we've learned some things from the game:-

Taundry is not a right back. Ok, its his first real full game but he played poorly against a decent non-league left winger and was at fault for the goal. Distribution was awful.

Trialist left back isn't worth a contract although wasn't helped by having Ishy in front of him in the first half.
We desperately need Weston and Boertain to remain injury and suspension free this season

Gerrard and Roberts were steady but Roberts doesn't impress me in the air. That may be a problem against bigger sides.

Matthis and Bradley had reasonabe games but neither have any real creativity. Not that it matters because neither Suffo nor Ibhere were capable of making any intelligent runs for them to be played in.

Ishy did his best to get himself sent off but showed glimpses of what he is capable of when he applies himself. He was completely wasted for 35 minutes in the second when JM played him on the right wing thus negating any point of him being on the pitch.

Nicholls was largely anonymous except for one excellent run and shot in the first half.

Suffo and Ibhere were both below the standard required. Suffo missed a sitter of a header towards the end that even Kiansmom admitted she would of scored from. She would have had more presence as the centre forward.

What surprised me most were the tactics. We were not capable of passing the ball better than an average non league team and so resorted to knocking aimless balls into the corners and down the channels to two forward that then didn't have the wit or intelligenece to do anything with the ball on the rare occasion they actually got the ball.

I hope Mr Ricketts has turned himself Kaka over the summer as its the only chance we have this season. On this showing the young kid Geddes should be in the first team now, he must be as good as some of them.

Disappointed game, lovely weather and nice bumping into Kiansmom, Willy Nilly, ClawtheOlder, YGASaddler & Dynamo Zuffle.

Roll on Yeovil.

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:08 pm

Game was a bit of a dissapointment, we certainly lacked punch up front. Can only agree with what other posters have said.

Vanessa Feltz in a bikini stretches the imagination somewhat, mind you she has probably stretched a few bikinis in her time.

Nice to meet Kiansmom, Kev, DZ, Clawtheolder and his dad!

Told you I would do it.

Fish
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Cowshed wrote:Game was a bit of a dissapointment, we certainly lacked punch up front. Can only agree with what other posters have said.

Vanessa Feltz in a bikini stretches the imagination somewhat, mind you she has probably stretched a few bikinis in her time.

Told you I would do it.

I wasn't at the match today...still waiting to be convinced.

BUT I have actually (honest...cross my heart etc..) seen Vanessa Feltz in a bikini !!! Mmm :(

H

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:45 pm

OldPenkSaddler wrote:
YGA Saddler wrote:Went to my first game of the pre season and my god Ibehre is bad. he looked worse than Vanessa Feltz in a bikini.

Crikey, I thought he was bad but even I ain't that harsh. :lol:

IMHO we've learned some things from the game:-

Taundry is not a right back. Ok, its his first real full game but he played poorly against a decent non-league left winger and was at fault for the goal. Distribution was awful.

Trialist left back isn't worth a contract although wasn't helped by having Ishy in front of him in the first half.
We desperately need Weston and Boertain to remain injury and suspension free this season

Gerrard and Roberts were steady but Roberts doesn't impress me in the air. That may be a problem against bigger sides.

Matthis and Bradley had reasonabe games but neither have any real creativity. Not that it matters because neither Suffo nor Ibhere were capable of making any intelligent runs for them to be played in.

Ishy did his best to get himself sent off but showed glimpses of what he is capable of when he applies himself. He was completely wasted for 35 minutes in the second when JM played him on the right wing thus negating any point of him being on the pitch.

Nicholls was largely anonymous except for one excellent run and shot in the first half.

Suffo and Ibhere were both below the standard required. Suffo missed a sitter of a header towards the end that even Kiansmom admitted she would of scored from. She would have had more presence as the centre forward.

What surprised me most were the tactics. We were not capable of passing the ball better than an average non league team and so resorted to knocking aimless balls into the corners and down the channels to two forward that then didn't have the wit or intelligenece to do anything with the ball on the rare occasion they actually got the ball.

I hope Mr Ricketts has turned himself Kaka over the summer as its the only chance we have this season. On this showing the young kid Geddes should be in the first team now, he must be as good as some of them.

Disappointed game, lovely weather and nice bumping into Kiansmom, Willy Nilly, ClawtheOlder, YGASaddler & Dynamo Zuffle.

Roll on Yeovil.

Any idea who the Triallist Left Back was?

Willy Nilly
UTS Regular

Location: All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest.

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:47 pm

Cowshed wrote:Game was a bit of a dissapointment, we certainly lacked punch up front. Can only agree with what other posters have said.

Told you I would do it.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:mrgreen: 16 indeed.

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:57 pm

Willy Nilly wrote:

Told you I would do it.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:mrgreen: 16 indeed.

:D :D :D :D :D

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 pm

We need to sign either Chadwick or Suffo to partner Ricketts if we are to do anything this season, Roberts was MOTM for Walsall, he played well in spells.

Bradley looks so much thiner and smaller than last season and isnt the player I remember. Taundry was beaten quite easily. If we are to stay up we really need a change.

A certain poster will now have an awakening in the trouser department :wink: :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:41 pm

Ned_Kelly wrote:

4143 is in a paroxysm of ecstasy as we speak! :D

Ned_Kelly
UTS Legend

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Ned_Kelly wrote:

4143 is in a paroxysm of ecstasy as we speak! :D

It's because of smart backsides like you that simpletons like "Moi" have Dictionary.com on favorites :mrgreen:

Stephen

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:47 pm

H wrote:

Palmer I think mate.

Starting line up if I remember correctly:

Ince
Taundrey
Palmer (trialist)
Gerrard
Roberts
Ishmel
Nicholls
Mattis
Bradley
Suffo
Jabo

shane.ward.fan
Resident Idiot

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Stephen wrote:
H wrote:

Palmer I think mate.

Ince
Taundrey
Palmer (trialist)
Gerrard
Roberts
Ishmel
Nicholls
Mattis
Bradley
Suffo
Jabo

No Ricketts !!!

Stephen

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:41 pm

shane.ward.fan wrote:
Stephen wrote:
H wrote:

Palmer I think mate.

Ince
Taundrey
Palmer (trialist)
Gerrard
Roberts
Ishmel
Nicholls
Mattis
Bradley
Suffo
Jabo

No Ricketts !!!

Nope, heard he was at pre-match training though? Got in late so didn't watch them warm up.

Had a word with one of our men before the kick off by the players entrance (by the way Mullen is a quite a nice bloke face to face, better than Money in fan relations). Said that Ricketts is here but isn't playing, he said something which I couldn't really hear, something about clearence I think it was.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Stephen wrote:
shane.ward.fan wrote:
Stephen wrote:
H wrote:

Palmer I think mate.

Ince
Taundrey
Palmer (trialist)
Gerrard
Roberts
Ishmel
Nicholls
Mattis
Bradley
Suffo
Jabo

No Ricketts !!!

Nope, heard he was at pre-match training though? Got in late so didn't watch them warm up.

Had a word with one of our men before the kick off by the players entrance (by the way Mullen is a quite a nice bloke face to face, better than Money in fan relations). Said that Ricketts is here but isn't playing, he said something which I couldn't really hear, something about clearence I think it was.

spot on young man.

http://www.saddlers.premiumtv.co.uk/pag ... 86,00.html

Kiansmom
Site Addict

Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:00 am

what a boring game! looked rubbish

highlight of the day having a go on the see saw with YGA and getting stuck in the car on the park!

preseason aint it fun?

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:38 am

Had a peasant day in Burton, watched the children play on the see saw and slide, picked blackberries and then watched some men kick a ball around. nice to see some new faces ie inspector 56, Kiansmom,cowshed, and the two girls in the park. :D

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 am

clawtheolder wrote:Had a peasant day in Burton, watched the children play on the see saw and slide, picked blackberries and then watched some men kick a ball around. nice to see some new faces ie inspector 56, Kiansmom,cowshed, and the two girls in the park. :D

Were the peasants revolting?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 am

"What surprised me most were the tactics. We were not capable of passing the ball better than an average non league team and so resorted to knocking aimless balls into the corners and down the channels to two forward that then didn't have the wit or intelligence to do anything with the ball on the rare occasion they actually got the ball."

Now, that is worrying, as is the fact that, mid season, with a couple of injuries and suspensions, and the first team could look like that, with the lack of cover we have.

Next
Return to 2008-09 Season