Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

22/7/08 - Aston Villa (h)

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Louise
UTS Legend

Re: 22/7/08 - Aston Villa (h)

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:38 pm

Wish i had gone now , according to my mate there Gareth Barry is getting booed by all the Villa fans and cheered by us!

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:52 pm

Really glad to hear Nicholls hitting the target. Sorry to hear him being described as a midfielder, if he's a midfielder then Deeney must be a centre-half!!

Just started listening to the WM commentary in time for the goal, one gets acustomed to it after a while but that commentator (the secondary one, Kevin??) sounds like someone on crimewatch who's voice has been distorted by knocking it down a semi-tone. The bloke at the Albion game must be the most camp reporter ever, like listening to Kenneth Williams doing a football report. Have normal, ordinary people become extinct or something?

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:00 pm

Gerrard had header cleared off the line

Glitterati

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 pm

1-1 Shaun Maloney free kick

walsall606

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 pm

2-1 Walsall

Patrick Suffo

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:18 pm

walsall606 wrote:sign up suffo!! 2-1

3 goals so far in pre season friendlies, i think he would definitely be worth a go

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:24 pm

Hmmm, wonder how important the signing (or not) of Suffo is already?

Our season fell on its backside last time for the want of a decent centre-forward or two, we therefore need to sign a decent centre-forward or two. Nothing has changed, the economics are the same, just the Chairman's thought process that requires a bit more "finger on the bottom lip" treatment.

Glitterati

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Losing 3-2 now - Maloney scored again and Wayne Routledge has just scored.

Sounds like we've played pretty well though.

Scooby
UTS Regular

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Gilmartin sounds as dodgy as he looks!

walsall606

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:40 pm

Anyone know where Marco Reich was :?:

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:44 pm

walsall606 wrote:Anyone know where Marco Reich was :?:

Invading Poland?

jeffsmate
UTS Veteran

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:50 pm

cyclothymic wrote:I have baby-sitting tonight or I would have gone along

Can't see us beating the midlands second worst underachievers - but that is not the real point.

Of more interest is how tight our defence is and whether we really have any attacking options up front.

A 3 - 2 loss would give me confidence for the season

You should try the lottery this weekend mate :)

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:50 pm

cyclothymic wrote:I have baby-sitting tonight or I would have gone along

Can't see us beating the midlands second worst underachievers - but that is not the real point.

Of more interest is how tight our defence is and whether we really have any attacking options up front.

[b]A 3 - 2 loss would give me confidence for the season

Feeling confident, Cyclothymic?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Attendance 5031

Scooby - Gilmartin was not particularly dodgy - couldn't really fault him for either goal

Ince given man-of-the-match

No Reich, Weston, Boertien or Taundry - Grant injured

I'm running out of patience with Ibehre now. I hope he can get his act together by August 9th

Roberts captain tonight - Gerrard took over armband when Roberts was subbed off

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:28 pm

Gilmartins fault for the second goal, spilled it.

Played well, but I cant help but think we have signed Ibehre when Ba is a better player. Suffo had a good touch. Roberts is Allan Picken in disguise. ermmmm that Keegan Eyre looked decent when he came on. Ok performance.

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Pleased with the performance and thoroughly enjoyed the game.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:34 pm

According to WM little over 2,800 Walsall fans there. Mmmmm, thought the powers that be were expecting another 1,000 - 1,500? Getting the message are we?

Scary thing (for me) is that I was outside handing out leaflets for the book and not once did I have any urge to step through a turnstile. I know I've made my position clear but even I'm surprised how easily I walked back to the car once I'd handed out the leaflets :shock:

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:38 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Gilmartin's fault for the second goal, spilled it.

Played well, but I cant help but think we have signed Ibehre when Ba is a better player. Suffo had a good touch. Roberts is Allan Picken in disguise. ermmmm that Keegan Eyre looked decent when he came on. Ok performance.

So none of our outfield players were at fault with their second goal, then? None of them failed to close down the Villa player who shot? None failed to react quickly (like Maloney did) when Gilmartin blocked the shot (not "spilled" it)? Jeez, Metfan, I don't think I've known anyone who sees everything in "black & white" as much as you do! :mrgreen:

I would agree with your comment about Ibehre, though - signed in haste, methinks.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:41 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:Gilmartin's fault for the second goal, spilled it.

So none of our outfield players were at fault with their second goal, then? None of them failed to close down the Villa player who shot? None failed to react quickly (like Maloney did) when Gilmartin blocked the shot (not "spilled" it)? Jeez, Metfan, I don't think I've known anyone who sees everything in "black & white" as much as you do! :mrgreen:

I would agree with your comment about Ibehre, though - signed in haste, methinks.

Sorry, if you are in goal you are employed to not let them in, when you make save like that you have to have strong hands n wrists to get the ball away from the goal if you cant catch it. goalkeeping error.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 pm

Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Sorry, if you are in goal, you are employed to not let them in. When you make a save like that, you have to have strong hands and wrists to get the ball away from the goal. if you cant catch it. Goalkeeping error.

I wouldn't disagree but, as you well know, it was your implication that Gilmartin was SOLELY at fault for the goal, to which I was referring.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:57 pm

Pedagogue wrote:
Wednesbury Saddler METFAN wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Sorry, if you are in goal, you are employed to not let them in. When you make a save like that, you have to have strong hands and wrists to get the ball away from the goal. if you cant catch it. Goalkeeping error.

I wouldn't disagree but, as you well know, it was your implication that Gilmartin was SOLELY at fault for the goal, to which I was referring.

The major fault is his was it not ? there we go then lol

A good performance, but our tactics were quite simple. whack it down the line for Ba and Ibehre.

Purple Toucan Saddler

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:10 pm

Sorry guys, I may be at fault for the increased attendance - I took 5 of my Maltese cousins to the game - my apologies to the anti-Bonser-brigade :lol:

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Crikey!...£72 well spent then.

Are they staying over for the Birmingham game?

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:16 pm

Purple Toucan Saddler wrote:I took 5 of my Maltese cousins to the game

Were they cross?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Well, i throughly enjoyed my evening.

Good game of footy, we should of won, but Gilmartin is useless. I thought we played superbly in spells, and soaked up plenty of pressure from their very pacey side.

I notice how fickle the Villa fans are, he was being cheered at the end, i thought Bradley was better.

Ince - Superb, back to his best, took him off and we lost.
Right back (palmer?) - Thought he was excellent, good going forward and decent defensively against Maloney.
Roberts - Solid, but cant really play any football.
Gerrard - Solid, no nonsense
Sansara- Was suprised how well he coped, and he played well.

Nicholls- I used to think he was rubbish, but every time i see him play he gets better, still not brilliant and has a ropey first touch but useful
Zabooub - Well, he has a cracking left foot, but he spends half his time on the floor or complaining. Didnt look wuick but he was he up against players with more pace, will look quicker in a league one game.
Bradders - Solid, did his job
Mattis - Ditto

Ba - Thought he was a handful at times to be honest, looked decent.
Ibehere - Same kindof player, i thought he held the ball up well myself, but his movement wasa bit lacking.

Subs
Craddock - too late on no impact.
Deeney - What do people see in him? Hes learnt a new trick, but he still cant trap a landmine and is USELESS.
Ishy - Very good on the ball, also good deliveries of corners too. He got us the second goal by cutting back a superb cross for suffo on a lost cause, when no one else was bothered.
Suffo - Sign him up, tough, strong, good first touch and his finish tonight was first time volley placed in bottom corner. Looked out of match practice at times but a few more games he'll be good.
Gilmartin - Release now, useless, Saw him paly for hednesford and he looked like a 75 year old man. Get rid.
Manny smith - Not good, not bad. Didnt have much to do.
Ayres - didnt notice him at all.

Personally i was pleased with out performance, but our threadbare squad showed at the end. Palmer would be a decent signing on tonights performance, and i think Ba could do a job. We defintly need another centre back for cover, and we definatly need someone to play of one of the big lads up front. And we also need someone with a bit of creativity in midfield.

If we sign a couple of players for the squad, i have no doubt we will cause problems this season, defences in league one would have aright handful if we our strike force was Ibehre/ba and Suffo. We also looked very dangerous of set pieces, which albeit wasnt against a big defence.

And my opinion of vile fans only dropped tonight. Inbreds.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:37 pm

THanks for the comprehensive report Latvian.

So basically we need to sign a minimum of two centre-forwards (eg Ba and Suffo), a reserve keeper, a creative midfielder, and a full-back.

So the argument that we are about, at least 5 players short seems to have been re-affirmed

Purple Toucan Saddler

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:49 pm

Geordiesaddler wrote:Crikey!...£72 well spent then.

Are they staying over for the Birmingham game?

Not after tonight :lol:

Only joking - they really enjoyed the experience as Maltese games only pull in crowds of 300 ish

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:59 pm

Don't know where the AWOL foursome were - Grant was injured if the E&S is to believed - but Weston, Boertien, Taundry, Reich? Any ideas?

Other than that, pretty much agree with Latvian. Few extra comments - Ishmel did really well for the goal, but about a minute later chose to hang on to the ball when there was a simple pass on to put someone (Nicholls?) through on goal. He was also the object of Sansara's ire for the winning goal when he failed to track back (after giving the ball away up front). Ishy in a nutshell. For balance, Zaaboub was equally infuriating.

Both full-backs did really well, considering they were up against Villa's strongest players - Maloney and Routledge. Do we need to sign Palmer though? Maybe Weston is an option for centre-back cover. I wouldn't bother with Ba, he is just a replica of Ibehre, who played much better when he was up front with Suffo, a different sort of strike partner. Keegan Ayre may well be worth a second look, partly for his reputation as a kid and the opinion Hibs fans have of him.

The only players who didn't do themselves any favours were Deeney and Smith, the latter was just as culpable as Gilmartin for the second goal by dwelling on the ball just outside the area and allowing Harewood (?) to close down his clearance.

Oh, and Villa's Nathan Baker was superb. If he's available for loan, I'd take him like a shot just on the basis of that appearance.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:05 pm

I would sign palmer, and weston could slot in a centre half if needed. Although a reserve centre back is a must.

I was suprised when ayres name was read out before the game, would of thought his reputation alone would of gotten him trials at bigger clubs.

My motm, was ince, followed closely by Sansara. I feel Boertien may have some competition this season. And the Ibehre argument is is a difficult one he is pretty much identical to Ba, if you played both of them it would certianly tire out a defence, which is when you could bring ishy on or something to that effect.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season