Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Leicester City (H) League 1 Tuesday 3/2/09.

Reports and reaction from the 2008-09 season as Walsall finished 13th in League 1
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Jolly Johnny
Site Addict

Re: Leicester City (H) League 1 Tuesday 3/2/09.

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:23 pm

gerryhatrick wrote:
caught_u_red_handed wrote:just seen 5 leicester coaches on the way back from work at 5.45pm do these people not work!! :lol:

Probably teachers.

Or anyone else that works a shift time that finishes mid afternoon, or is able to book a day off whenever they like etc etc... :roll: :wink:

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:27 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:I'm amazed it's on, so let's hope we can take advantage on the pitch to make up for a probably reduced attendance off it.

A 1-1 draw in front of 5,500-ish.

I meant 0-3 in front of 5,500-ish :oops: .

easy to say after the event bath :D

Stephen

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:29 pm

Did Fryatt celebrate after his goal?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:29 pm

I'm worried by how many this will be. Men against boys by the sounds of it.

One step forward and three steps back if we are not careful.

adjisaddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:33 pm

yea no one sounds like there pplaying great . Ince sounds pretty good.I didnt hear anything about celebrating from fryatt so presume he was been respectful

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:44 pm

Join in on the match liveblog on the front page for the second half. Cutting commentary, pithy posts, incisive wit, and me too!

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:58 pm

4-0!!! :oops:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:59 pm

Exile wrote:Join in on the match liveblog on the front page for the second half. Cutting commentary, pithy posts, incisive wit, and me too!

I can't. ???

Although I could vote - it was me for the 4-3 to Walsall.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:11 pm

1-4 Mattis

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:17 pm

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but....

Leicester are easily the best team in this division
We gave everything on Saturday and have absolutely nothing left tonight
Why did we make all the effort to get a game on when we had so many players still missing?

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:27 pm

BathSaddler wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but....

Why did we make all the effort to get a game on when we had so many players still missing?

If they hadn't they would have been slagged off big time

Whitters
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:28 pm

On a different subject, I see this at the bottom of the page "Users browsing this forum: Ben Lowe, Bomoh, Dave Gittins, Whitters and 3 guests"
However Exile and Bath are clearly on line?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:38 pm

Back from the game and there still 10 mins to play, says it all really ........ utter dross.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:43 pm

Whitters wrote:On a different subject, I see this at the bottom of the page "Users browsing this forum: Ben Lowe, Bomoh, Dave Gittins, Whitters and 3 guests"
However Exile and Bath are clearly on line?

I've been on the liveblog, so as I'm inactive for minutes at a time I get taken off the list.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:44 pm

Big effort to make the game, but shame we didn't turn up. Philisophically thinking, Leicester are by far the classiest in this division, and while we had nothing left after Leeds they obviously had their scoring boots on. Sometimes these things happen.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Dave Gittins wrote:

If they hadn't they would have been slagged off big time

I'm not sure whether that is true in this instance, given how many postponments there has been tonight. But I take your point.

Suffice to say I wish it had been P-P. This result, quality of opposition apart, will not be a confidence booster for our forthcoming trips to Hartlepool and Carlisle now.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:52 pm

Mid-table sides are generally mediocre, sometimes very good and sometimes very poor, generally lack the quality within the squad to achieve any consistency.

No point in doom-mongering when the very poor comes along no more than all the silly talk about progress when there's the odd very good performance.

A little bit of work to be done before the threat of relegation is averted, then a nice summer to look forward to.

Job done 2008-2009, and if you don't like it.....

caldy
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:58 pm

Sorry to say but I walked out after the fourth goal. We never were in it. It was men against boys. I think our tactics weren't brilliant either but their movement off the ball was fantastic. They pulled us one way then the other. Their passing was slick, they were mentally and physically quicker than us. It is easy to say we played badly and yes we did but it was Leicester who forced us into so many mistakes. Unfair to slag Walsall off as we were well beaten by a much better professional team. For them Howard caused us problems all night, Fryatt was brilliant Martin commanded his area. As soon as they got possesion they pushed up switching play our defence had a mare. I'm just glad it stayed down to 1-4 it could quite easily been double that.

Quick Saddler player run down.

Ince. Had a nightmare. His kicking was awful, put our defence under pressure more than once. Went walkabout more than once, just didn't look comfortable.
Palmer. Hoof. Tackled ok actually but out of position time and time again.
Boertien.Had better games. Got into crossing positions but didn't cross. defensively put under pressure and could have coped a bit better.
Gezza.Had yet another mix up with Clayton but it thankfully didn't cost us. Found touch too often and if I'm being harsh would say he could have done better with possesion.
Weston.Looked alright, better than Gezza. Was firefighting rather than commanding though.
Mattis and Taundry. Didn't boss the midfield but tried hard, they just couldn't get close most of the time.
Zaboob. Tried hard to run at them but didn't produce much. Drifted in and out.
Nicholls. Awful. Couldn't run at their defence, pass, tackle. Subbed. I don't think he'll be starting the next game on that performance.
Deeny.Huff and puff no end product. An off day.
Jabo.See Deeny.

Let's hope they can get that out of their system and concentrate on our next few games now.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:03 pm

as a midtable team sometimes you just get stuffed by a far better team. obviously a cack result but we wont play any other teams as good as leicester. thank god!

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:05 pm

It probably isn't of consolation but on their OS the match report says it was their best performance of the season.

The attendance was 5,634, including 1,998 away fans. Paltry 'home' attendance, whatever the weather IMO.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Beaten at home by the best team in the league. It happens.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:14 pm

My god!
How on earth can ANY football club expect a football team to perform twice in 4 days!!
Its absolutely OUTRAGEOUS!
I feel so sorry for the players I really do.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 pm

Exile wrote:

Big effort to make the game, but shame we didn't turn up. Philisophically thinking, Leicester are by far the classiest in this division, and while we had nothing left after Leeds they obviously had their scoring boots on. Sometimes these things happen.

Talk sense for gods sake.
Nothing left after a match 3 days previously.
Give me f in strength.

belgiansaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:18 pm

sheff i love yow but shut up :D

they are miles ahead of anyone in this league. especially us :D

we have 3 more points than i expected from these 2 matches so onwards and probably sidewards :mrgreen:

caldy
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Leicester were a far better team. Classy and creative. It's a case of forget about it and get on with Saturday's game I'm sure CH and MOC will get into the players and go up north with belief that we can win. I hope so anyway!!!!

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Poor attendance - only 3636 home fans. Why on earth did we try so hard to get the game on when (a) we were without Ricketts, Hughes and Roberts (& Gerrard was doubtful), (b) Leicester are on a winning run and (c) the weather and the under-foot conditions were very poor? I assume it was a cash-flow problem (although last Saturday's receipts must have helped?).

We were second best throughout to a Leicester team who were stronger in every department. I'd go along with most of what Caldy has posted, above. Leicester were quicker and harder-working, all over the field. Our age-old problem at fullback was fully exploited but, in fairness to Palmer and Boertien, too often they are isolated thanks to the poor support in front of them - tonight that was first Nicholls and then Deeney, on the right, and Zaaboub on the left. None of those three can defend to save their lives (and Demontagnac and Reich were even worse, in that respect). It is a tactical weakness that many of our opponents have noted and try to exploit.

As Moaning Old Git said - it just goes to show that Leeds aren't as good as they seem to think that they are!

P.S. Is it true that the sponsor who chose Palmer as man-of-the-match was J.Mullen - Used BMW Dealer ? :mrgreen:

Delves Saddler

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:26 pm

Just got in, I'm sorry and others may disagree with me but i felt that was a completely gutless performance. I know there is no shame in losing to a much better team but seriously, I couldn't see a single player that seemed interested at all bar Zaaboub, who tried and tried to get the ball forward and make positive runs, but no-one helped him, so he ended up having to go from side to side, which allowed the Leicester players time to get back. After the goal we looked slightly interested in giving it a go, but by then it was far too late. I'm just shocked to see that 3 days ago we were closing down and whole heartedly outplaying a team that is supposedly of similar quality. It even seemed like Jabo and Deeney couldn't be bothered, saying that they still worked harder than anyone else. I'm quite frankly shocked at the massive difference in performances after such a short space of time, it is quite unbelievable. I am absolutely gutted and I hope Hutchings and O'Connor give them the roasting they deserve because it was just poor tonight.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:26 pm

belgiansaddler wrote:sheff i love yow but shut up :D

they are miles ahead of anyone in this league. especially us :D

we have 3 more points than i expected from these 2 matches so onwards and probably sidewards :mrgreen:

I am not having a go at team or management, as Leicester are miles above anyone in this league.
But for people to go on about players being tired etc from Saturday is ridiculous.
It really is.

Louise
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 pm

Just defrostin after sitting through 90 minutes of men against boys.
Leicester are quite simply a class above, they will def be promoted and deserve to be.
They took the foot off the gas when 4-0 or it could have been a lot worse.
Fryatt has bulked up and looks the player we all knew he had the potential to be - he was clapped off halfway through the second half by both sets of fans.

Ince had one of his Grobblear displays - did a couple of good saves, but went walkabouts and his kicking, well....
Not many postives apart from we dont have to play them every week - the kid from villa is big and strong - has potential.
The best team won, end of.

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Great game good atmosphere:

Clayton Ince: Very poor made one good save all night
Chris Palmer: Ok played a bit too much long ball, but some of them were very good brilliant tackle in first 10 minutes
Anthony gerrard: Bit dodgy at the start,but made up for it with some good headers in the box and an influentual run
Paul Boertien: Ok made a crucial tackle in second half
Dwayne Mattis: Played decent but a bit too defensive and showed them to much respect
Richard Taundry: Played awful rubbish passing played like a rugby player didnt pass forward the whole game
Sofiane Zabooub: excellent MOM.attacked really effectively and never gave up
Alex Nicholls: Poor
Jabo Ibehere: Absolutely shocking performance cant say anything positive about his performance apart from he was on the pitch
Troy Deeney : Tried hard but to no avail
Last edited by motty on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext
Return to 2008-09 Season