Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Luton (a) - 22nd February 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
MrC

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:21 pm

All Luton by the sounds of it...

We'll sneak a 1-0 win. My only fear is that if they score, we collapse.

andy__vh

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 pm

half time 0-0. id take that as a full time!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:37 pm

Interesting to hear the Luton commentators saying that the Hatters are getting nearly all of the decisions from the referee tonight. As if it's not tough enough to be playing away at the league leaders, it looks like we've got a bl**dy "homer" to contend with as well.

Half-time 0-0 - sounds like we've had a few shaky moments and close shaves, but still in it at the break - come on YOU SADDLERS !

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:39 pm

Just swopped over at half-time to try the Saddlers World commentary again, and it's on now. Never thought I could be so pleased to hear Mick Kearns voice :D

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:36 pm

what a surprise again, bloody useless

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:37 pm

Bad luck, lads

andy__vh

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:44 pm

Bloody useless!!!!? no shame in a 1-0 reverse away at luton! sounds like we did well in the second half particularly surnman. Well done lads, unlucky!
Last edited by andy__vh on Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stonnall_Saddler

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:45 pm

I am gutted penalty in the last minute, unlucky lads

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:49 pm

Unlucky this, unlucky that. The team lost AGAIN. Nice to see some of you accepting mid table mediocre drivel. NOT ME. This club is goin nowhere while this idiot remains in charge

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:50 pm

when i say bloody useless im referring to the fact we have given away a stupid penalty again

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:51 pm

but still unlucky come on u saddlers

Burnside
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:51 pm

I have been saying we could get a point from this game. Our last two outings made me almost certain.

It is no good keeping it tight for 89 minutes and then letting one in. This is silly. If we are going to become a tight defensive unit, which i think we can do very well. we need 90+ minutes of concentration.

I only wish i could have been there tonight. Sadly Tuesday night matches are never a certainty for me.

The evidence of the last two away performances suggests that Blackpool and Bournemouth ARE games we can SCORE POINTS FROM.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:08 pm

Bad luck, done at the death,must have been some contraversy about penalty,Walsall players surrounded ref at the end of match.but if he was giving Luton every decision he was most likely looking to give them a penalty as well.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:17 pm

Wasn't there but the Sky reporter, after the match, said the penalty was one of those where "you've seen 'em given, you've seen 'em not".

So I think it's maybe a bit harsh Ernest to say "it's no good keeping it tight for 89 mins and then letting one in". The penalty might equally not have been handed to them and we might well have held out for 1-0 in open play, but it was apparent from the Luton commentators that they thought the ref was a "homer", so maybe it's no surprise that he took that one opportunity to throw Luton a lifeline at the death. It happens when you're at the top, as we know from our own experience.

We were playing the top team, 13 games undefeated (now 14 of course) so although a 1-0 reverse is admittedly very disappointing, especially having had a point snatched away so late, I still think we can take a lot from this excellent effort following on the great improvement away at Bristol City. If this improved away form can be carried into the next two away games, I fully agree with you Ernest, we can take points at Blackpool and Bournemouth.

Tough tonight, I expected a bit of a beating, but well done to the lads, I'm disappointed but by no means downhearted as I head for the local. :D

Burnside
UTS Regular

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:24 pm

When i say concentration i mean don't do rash things in the penalty box.

I would bet my bottom dollar that either Wright, Zigor or Emblen had a good chance to clear the danger. I should wait for the video of it befor i comment though.

Why did you expect a beating tonight Geoff? Did the last 2 games learn you nothing? I just knew that with the new system and confidence we had a chance.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:30 pm

Ernest Machill-Smith II wrote: I should wait for the video of it befor i comment though.

I agree, you should.

According to one of the Luton messageboards, the penalty was an absolute gift from the ref. :(

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:33 pm

But even the WM commentary said we were "under the cosh" for most of the game and they missed three or four sitters in the first half, so I wouldn't worry that much!

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Luton were the better team in the 1st half and could perhaps have counted themselves unlucky not to be leading at the break. They missed 2 sitters.
However, in the 2nd half, they completely ran out of ideas and the Saddlers dominated much of the game. The midfield clicked into place and the only problem was getting any end product to some slick passing football.
Coudn't really see the penalty, but it was no surprise that the ref handed the decision to them. It resulted from one of the few bits of pressure Luton managed in the 2nd half, and seemed like just another aimless hoof in the general direction of the penalty spot.
Both Taylors, Wrack and Osborn were excellent in midfeld. Defence was solid, after a few shaky moments in the 1st half - although Wright is far too lightweight. Matty did O.K., but isn't really a lone striker.
Really good last 45 minutes. Almost a complete professional performance that deserved a point.
Good vocal support as well - "One nil to the referee".
Last edited by moaning saddler on Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:37 pm

Well, just got back in. Fortunately I only had a 15 minute drive with which to boil over with anger.

The penalty... It was a soft penalty, a complete homer penalty. If it had been for us, it'd have been waved away. Mind you, everything we wanted tonight was waved away. Complete homer of a Ref.

A cross came in from their right wing, towards Coyne the tall centre half, Emblen jumped in for the ball and Coyne went down. Nobody appealed for a penalty, I repeat, not a single Luton player appealed for the penalty, but the Ref blew up and gave it. Unsurprisingly it was right in front of the Luton fans.

Quite sickening, as our performance warranted a point and I was pleased with Merson's tactical nous.

It was a very good display from all.

Murphy - Solid, didn't have to do anything bar one save from Brkovic in the first half.
Wright - Superb 2nd half, got forward great, beat his man 3/4 times, final ball was disappointing on a couple of occasions. 1 great nutmeg on their player.
Ziggy - Solid, didn't get forward much, distribution was poor. But defensively solid.
Emblen & Ropes - Won everything in the air tonight, Howard looked ordinary as Ropes dominated.
Taylor - A little quiet tonight, but got through a lot of running.
Wrack - Always seemed to find time and space, wish he'd been a bit more decisive at times though.
Surman - Very impressive but tired, very good movement off the ball.
Osborn - My MOTM to be honest, anchored the midfield superbly, countered the force of Nicholls in their midfield, played some lovely balls. Looks at home with wingers to give the ball to.
D Taylor - Weakest link, got better as the game went on but he is far too lightweight.
Fryatt - Little tyke ran his legs off, his first touch and hold up play seems to have got a lot better lately, also won a few headers. Very good performance.

Only negative is that I don't think we have the striker needed to play a 4-5-1... Ideally it wants a big hard running fast striker, a la Akinbiyi, Noel Williams et al, someone in that mould.

I never really thought we were going to score tonight, although we did get into some very good chances but our final ball was poor more often than not.

But, we can hold our heads high. Merse is learning gradually and we deserved a point tonight.

But when your top of the league, luck comes your way and it did for them tonight.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:43 pm

"Did the last 2 games learn you nothing" - I think, with respect, that you meant to say "Did the last 2 games teach you nothing".

Yes they did Ernest, In the case of the BC game, it taught me that we can keep a clean sheet away from home now and again - however the previous 100 (approx) away games and 200 (approx) games overall, taught me that we can be a touch inconsistent and therefore never know what to bl**dy-well expect! In contrast we were playing a good and consistent side who are and will remain top of this league.

The MKD game taught me that we can keep a clean sheet at home against a cr@p side by adopting away-game tactics - not tremendously encouraging for me, to be honest.

So tonight I hoped we'd stick with the BC line-up and formation, but I wasn't sure and in any case LT have a great home record, so expecting a bit of a beating is not, I would put it to you, particularly outlandish.

I hope this is the start of some consistent form, but it will take more than 4 points out of 9 to entirely convince me.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:45 pm

As I have said before 4-5-1 is a tactic not to be used on a frequent basis, although, can be used on occasions to good effect.
The problems I have with it are -
1. You do not create enough chances.
2. You need a different kind of striker to what we have, like Stu points out.
3. It is too defensive.
4. It is very hard to change it around, like we tried on Saturday, when you go one down or need to push forward.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:47 pm

Geoff, if we'd lost 4 - 0 away to Bristol he would have been laying it on thick that we'd improved over the Colchester game, and the tide was turning.

Some people just see the slightest thing and turn it into something to become overly optimistic about. And sometimes the slightest things are so slight that most of us can't even see them.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:56 pm

Spot on, Dave. This is more like the way to play away from home, but, as Stu points out, we are a million miles away from having the personnel up front to pull it off consistently.

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 pm

Whilst I'm not going all gooey eyed over Merson and his impending move of turning us into Champions League winners...

I am seeing signs of change from him that are convincing me he'll turn it around.

The 4-5-1 formation is something I do like and with the right striker and a bit more confidence, could become a useful formation for us to try. Not sure it'll work at home, as MMF has said elsewhere, but its worth a shot.

More to the point, it was something that he did at Bescot on Saturday. I really don't recall any match this season where Merse has changed tactics/formations mid-match, he has always had this "4-3-1-2, it must be 4-3-1-2, nothing else, only 4-3-1-2" when changes have been crying out to be made. On Saturday, he realised the 4-5-1 wasn't working and tried to change it tactically to see if we could grab an advantage that way. I liked that, I thought it showed maturity.

The signs are there, and I do honestly think he works best on his own. If he can't get Halsall to do the job full time, I'd like to see him stick to his own guns and do it himself, if that means forgetting playing then so be it. Be a full time manager and part time player, at times this season, its been the other way around.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:09 pm

Didnt i read on somewhere here that MKD should have been given a penalty on Saturday?

As Geoff said when it is one of those 50-50 ones that some will give and some wont, you will always get those at home in your favour.

Are MKD fans saying the ref was a homer on Saturday??

Perhaps these things even themselves out

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:12 pm

The question remains, how much is Halsall and how much of the crap earlier on down to Onoura and Barlow and how much is Merson his own man? I find it all intriguing as too how the performances match who was doing what when!!!!!

And yes, you could say the pens have evened themselves out after Saturday!

admin
Site Admin

just back

Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:53 pm

...agree with a lot that has been said. Not too bothered about the penalty - haven't seen it on TV yet, so will reserve judgement - but as mentioned, MK should have had one on Saturday so these things even themselves out. We didn't look like scoring, Luton missed a few good chances first half - but as the match went on, we got more and more into it and had the leaders on the run. We were passing it about lovely, they were kicking and hoofing. Overall Luton did not impress me, yet credit to them they sit 9 points clear tonight - they obviously play silky football against everyone except us. Their style tonight reminds me of the way Graydon had us set up when we got promotion the first time - everything up to a big lad (for Rambo read Howard) except they had a bit of quality just behind him in Berkovic. Second half Newell attacked and brought on another big lad, whereas somebody on the Walsall bench got the jitters with 5 minutes to go and told the lads to drop deep when we had them on the Wrack. All the Luton fans were moaning this was their 4th game in a week, which was bollocks, cos they've only played Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday - Tuesday (which clubs do all the time) - and even though their club are miles clear, there were still enough of them moaning and having a go at their players second half to convince me they don't deserve a manager as astute as Newell.

As I made the walk through the architectural glories of central Luton, past the kebab shops, down the underpass, suffering the first Walsall defeat to the Hatters in 9 years; this thought occurred. Next season us Saddlers will be winning more than we lose. Whereas Luton in a division above will with any luck more often than not get a good hiding. And although their 20 portacabins that double as executive boxes down one side of Kenilworth may be full, none of the suits that occupied them tonight have ever dug into their pockets to improve that ground - it must be one of the few in the country to have had zero work done to it in 20 years. My mate's been telling me Stelios has been on the verge of pumping 10 million into the club - but it seems he is content with a few advertising hoardings in front of the boxes. The man does like to do things on a budget after all.

WarsawPact
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:06 am

Perhaps he's waiting for one of his planes to fail it's MOT.
Then he can take the wings off and park it alongside the pitch and use that for boxes.

b'mouthsaddler

luton

Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:40 am

The referee gave Fryatt offside from a throw in in the first minute and that set the tone for the night. We looked good second half, Luton never looked like scoring. I did text my brother at half time and said I feel a penalty is on the way.thanks Ref. Think I got flasheed on the M25 going home. Bad night all round.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:22 am

Listening in on the Luton internet commentary, 'cos ours was not working for much of the first half, even their commentators described the Ref as a a homer. So although the penalty was a bitter blow, it was no real surprise. It's happened before, it'll happen again.

Trying to be philosophical about it, at least it was not as bad or decisive as the diabolical one for Palace against us last season. It won't give Luton promotion or cost us promotion - nor will it cost us relegation so fortunately doesn't mean too much.

In complete contrast, that lost point at Palace more-or-less condemned us to go down, and pushed them on into the play-offs.

Luton deserve to go up, Palace didn't, I really hope next season they'll be in the same league and I can have a wry smile at the man called "Black".

PreviousNext
Return to 2004-05 Season