Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wrexham (H) - League - 5th February 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:17 pm

Expected a win today, but then what can you ever really "expect" from Walsall - great one week, average the next, you never know what to expect.

I thought it was pretty clear that Taylor was taken off to avoid a second yellow from the Ref, who made strange decisions at times - though he was far from the worst we've had at Bescot this season.

Merson's "sitter" - well he certainly should have buried it - but it wouldn't have counted anyway as the linesman had his flag up for offside and made sure he kept it up for some reason. It was a clear goal kick after all, why keep the flag raised?

Can't believe the comments about Osborn today on here and Radio WM - he played very well, made some excellent interceptions, generally passed the ball well, and provided the excellent ball in for Jorge to score. Some fans don't (or just won't) see the work he gets through, just come out with the same old criticism every game regardless of his real performance. Considering he was playing with a chipped bone in his foot and on pain-killing injections, I thought he played very well.

Some very poor passing today, not one of Merson's best or most influential games, through balls from Bennett and others were frequently over-ambitious and over-hit. I expected Roper in for Bennett today, and still think he should have been.

Wrexham were good value for their point, and there were times I thought they may take all three. The big black guy at the back - sorry don't know his name - was excellent and solid throughout - their MoM for me.

Our MoM - hard to say- maybe Wrack.

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:33 pm

Can't argue too much with your summing up Geoff.

Merson was poor today, tried too many flicks instead of trying to keep it simple when needed.

Surman came close to winning a penalty within about 30 seconds of the second half starting, although to be fair I think the first contact was just outside the area. Apart from that he was very quiet.

Wright is a strange kind of player - when playing at right back he looks suspect but when coming forward he puts some decent crosses over.

I would agree with the comment that Taylor was taken off at half time to avoid the risk of being sent off - he had already kicked one guy about 3 feet in the air and followed that up quickly with another challenge that got him a booking.

At least we didn't lose!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:57 pm

Crap 2nd half. Crap passing.

Played well today:
Osborn (anyone who think he didn't play well today has got cack in their eyes)
Aranalde for once
Fryatt
Wrack

10 v 11 today, instead of standing there with hands on hips, maybe Merson should contribute a bit more.

Murphy is dodgy, distrubution is crap, not sure about that first, reactions not working.

STAFFLERS, STAFFS OR WHATEVER YOU ARE, CAN THE HALF TIME 'ENTERTAINMENT' BE CHANGED TO SLUG RACING? IT'S MORE INTERESTING. ALSO, YOUR CLOTHES TODAY WERE ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:30 pm

I think a draw was the fair result. Merson spent all afternoon with his hands on his hips can see the difference when the game doesnt really make a difference to his job compared to last week. I think only Zigor and Wracky can take any credit from the game, ok wrightys crosses were good but his defensive headers and kicking is poor. How many times will Murphy get beaten so easily from 25 yards+?
Surman looks like he can pass a ball but like ive said above he should have been on the wing but when your managers there you cant argue. :oops:

I know it was probably over after xmas but I really think today is the decider that we will be in this division next season. If we had won today we would have been 7 points off the play-offs with play-off contenders coming up in 4 of the next 5 games but not beatin wrexham at home really shows the depths we have fallen to.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:35 pm

I too agree with Geoff's summing up - people will always slag off Osbourn because he has assumed the roll of "boo-boys" fave. He was OK today as was Wrack. What was Merson doing standing on the side-lines at the half way line for the whole game? He was totally out of the game doing that - the missed chance summed up his afternoon today, but as someone pointed out on WM, he is usually the one player who makes things happen so can't really be left out at the moment. Surnam did OK IMO considering he only got half a game and hasn't played for us before. Bennett looked a bit better, though quite why Zigor gave him the ball so many times when his distribution isn't great anyway I don't know. Wise decision to take off Taylor before he got himself sent off, the ref could have booked him 5 mins before he did, so he was walking a fine line.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:41 pm

Merson was marked out of the game by a Wrexham team who came for a point, played well for it and deserved it. Given that it was one of his worst "hands on hips" performances and he was taken out of the game so effectively we needed to change things around, but as usual we couldn't (not helped by having to make three enforced substitutions, to avoid Taylor being sent off and because Leitao and Osborn were both injured).

Murphy let in yet another goal where he just stood there and it went past him a yard or two away. OK so he may have been unsighted, but he needs reactions quicker than that. On the other hand he did make a great save in the second half. His kicking was dire.

Merson's miss was dreadful but had it gone in and we'd got three points I'm not sure we would have deserved them. We missed Kinsella and then Taylor in the second half. Surman did all right but he looks like an out and out winger and will be another player who just can't fit into our current system.

Yet again, truly shocking defending cost us two goals. The second looked offside to me but even so the defence just didn't react at all, and since nobody else has said it looked offside I guess it was only me. Wrack inexcusably gave the ball away to gift them their first (and only those wearing their usual blinkers could possibly claim that Osborn gave the ball away more than Wrack today, because he didn't). Bennett was quite poor again, though he did make a couple of decent challenges. Surely Roper must come back next time.

pedantic

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:24 pm

If merse makes most of the chances, how do you square that with him spending the game on the touchline with Walsall scoring two goals?

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:26 pm

Merse must have been very tired today all that standing around in the second half with his hands on his hips! God he made me mad when he stood there and let players run away from him I know his legs are getting older but he cant go about complaining about others not going for tackles when he lets peoples pass him :evil:
Thought Osborn had a decent game apart from odd misplaced pass or two! Zigor had a cracking second half and ran his socks off again!! (And I don't care if you don't like him He's a saddler through and through!!)
Kris Taylor didnt have the start of last week and I think he needed to be taken off before he got sent off!
I hope the new goalie is better than Murphy coz from where I was sitting he was so at fault for the first goal blimey think I could have made a better effort to get it than he did :P
Oh well I suppose one point is better than no points!

Dave Gittins
Glitterati

Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:29 pm

There have been several comments about Merson's missed chance - he should have buried it, but the linesman had flagged for offside so even if it had gone in it wouldn't have counted.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:42 pm

I do find some comments very strange sometimes. Wrack MoM? Well, he gave away the first goal with some shoddy defending, despite having nearly done so five minutes before. His equlaiser was no more than he owed. Kris Taylor? Why was he taken off? It was that or the referee doing it for us. He could have been booked twice before he eventually was. Simon Osborn? The only midfielder who bothered to turn up today and, along with Aranalde, the only possible contenders for MoM. Oh, and who was that spectator wearing the number 10 shirt who spent the whole game on the pitch watching it?

By the way, we scored twice today without Merson touching the ball and let two in that weren't the full backs fault. Is this a record?

We also scored twice in the first half, both times from getting the ball wide. It ain't rocket science, you know.

ShropsSaddler

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:51 pm

Couldn't agree more Neil. Some peoples' view of the game is extraordinary. Wrack MoM? As you rightly say, the first goal was gifted to them by him. And, for all the criticism of other players (particularly Osborn and Aranalde) standing off players and giving them too much room, Wrack was the biggest culprit of the lot. He flatters to deceive by putting in a few little efforts where he chases around like a man possessed and then spends the rest of the match marking noone and pointing at everyone else! Mind you, I think he gets that attitude from the manager - very similar style!!

Unfortunately, this club will not be successful under a manager who thinks it's acceptable for one of the 11 players to stand around with his hands on his hips, to avoid tackles at all cost and to watch as opposition players go past him with no effort. Week after week we're playing 10 v 11 when the opposition has the ball. You can't afford to do that.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:07 am

Yeah, but he is Paul Merson. :D

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:07 am

If anyone else had put in a performance like Merson did today they would have been substituted, he constantly gave the ball away and spent most of the 2nd half having a chat with Mick Halsall on the touchline. Before anyone has a go he created nowt today so was a luxury we couldn't afford. When he switched himself to the middle and Fryatt to the left he made sure our top scorer was not where he does his best work, whether Merson was offside or not it should have been Fryatt on the end of that sitter he missed. Once again the team is shuffled around to accomodate one player.

Osborn and Zigor both had decent games, Wright although setting up a goal still wastes to many good crossing opportunities, Wrack took his goal well but really did give them the first goal, why do we always seem to hit clearances infield? I think a draw was a fair result in the end.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:08 am

Well I'm glad Dave G that you also noticed the linesman with his flag up for offside when Merse missed that sitter, I was beginning to think I was the only one who'd seen it.

Even the guy on WM said after the match that Merse would have won the game for us if he'd buried it, but NO WAY, he was clearly offside and the linesman had his flag up for ages to confirm that.

Glad too to see that there are fans on here prepared to accept when Osborn has a good game - too often he comes in for stick for no better reason than he pulled on the shirt and came out to play for the team. Criticise him when he's bad, fair enough, but at least have the decency to see the good side of him when, like today, he plays well.

I also believe it was Osborn, not Wright as someone has said above, who supplied the ball for Jorge's goal. WM confirmed that too, so I hope I am (and they are) correct.

No complaints about today's result, could have gone either way but a draw was about right on balance.

Cannock
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:13 am

Early closing tonight mate? :lol:

Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:26 am

Geoff i am pretty sure it was Wright who crossed for Jorge's goal but Osborn still had a good game whether he set it up or not.
I never realised the flag was up on Mersons chance until i read it here by time i saw it i thought he was flagging for a goalkick. Even Merson said he thought he wasn't offside on OS.

ShropsSaddler

Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:38 am

I didn't notice the flag being up either which perhaps makes it just as well he missed because Merson was clearly onside when the ball was last played, Robinson having dummied and ducked underneath the cross superbly toleave it for Merson.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:28 am

Anonymous wrote:Geoff i am pretty sure it was Wright who crossed for Jorge's goal but Osborn still had a good game whether he set it up or not.

Osborn picked the ball up in midfield and spread it wide (what a lovely phrase that is!) for Wright, who crossed for Jorge to score.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:47 am

I'd agree with Geoffs summing up also. Just to add with comments on a few players.

Murphy - Still keeps making errors to justify my dislike for him. I don't care if their first was deflected the ball still went down the middle of the goal and he was no more than a couple of yards away yet made no attempt to even move his feet to try and save it. The was one goal kick where he waited to pick his man out then missed him by about 30 yards and kicked it straight to their centre halves.

Zigor - Like many others above I also thought he was man of the match. Ernest you mention he seems to be in space and marking no one which is the case but its because there is often no midfielder covering in front of him so he is trying to spread himself to cover two players. Its not easy to do and he deserves more support from others around him.

Jorge - His goals seem to be improving his confidence and work rate but I still feel he could offer more.

Osborn - I thought he played well and I think most people thought the same judging by the way they clapped him off so I don't understand the comments of some.

Merson - What can I say that others haven't? Absolutely awful in my opinion and shows how much we rely on him. Everything he tried just didn't come off today and the number of times he squandered possession was terrible. Sometimes players have days like that which is fair enough but if they are having one of those days they should be bought off. Halsall and Merson must have known that he wasn't adding to the game so he should have been subbed.

I feel Wrexham are one of the better sides we've played judged on two games but even so we could have beaten them if we performed anywhere like we did last week. What really annoys me is our persistence to pass the ball sideways, then backwards and so one across the back four and midfield. Who do we think we are? Liverpool of the 80's?! Get the ball forward with some quick incisive passing which is what we're best at when we do it.

I'm sure this is why Merson won't bring Roper back into the team for Bennett who needs resting. Merson wants players who can pass the ball about which is all very well if we're in the Premiership or maybe even Championship but we're not, we're in League One and need players who can perform well at this level. Roper is a good defender and we need him in, if he boots the ball away every now and again then so be it, is better than seeing another failed clearance coming straight back at us so we concede another goal. I'm not encouraging hoof it tactics I just think we play the ball around too much without effect, very much like last season. Its a shame because this season like last we are capable of playing some great penentrative football.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:59 am

Agree with most of the comments about the match. Still overall too slow in midfield, always second to the ball, and very little variance when going forward. We do rely on merson, but we've been saying that all season.

Also, i'd like to congratulate Stafflers on his superb research.

"with his 51st goal for the club, Jorge Leitao"

He scored his 50th at tranmere, but i don't see the point of stafflers saying more than he needs to.

Oh and did anyone else notice the half time slip he made:

"You've won a signed Walsall football club"

Wahey

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:55 am

STAFFLERS OUT!

In fairness to the substituting Merson issue (he clearly should have been brought off), we didn't have any subs left since Taylor forced his own substitution, Jorge asked to come off and Osborn could barely walk by the time he came off. Ideally we could have brought Surman on for Merson about 10 minutes into the second half, but in reality we couldn't.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:02 pm

Saw Ferguson's goal on Sky Sports news and there did not seem any deflection to me. Murphy just stands there and watches it go past him, feet set in concrete. I know we have been spoilt over the last 5/6 years with JW but surely if Murphy has played international footie he must have some reactions? Is it Stu who is a keeper - any comments?
Also thought Osborn did well today before being forced off. A number of good tackles and interceptions.
I thought the tactic second half was for Merson and Fryatt to stand out wide on the flanks to avoid the giant centre half - the problem was our passing and Murphy's kicking was that poor we never found them. Just an opinion.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:04 pm

Mike, I must admit I didn't see any deflection and I was behind it but because someone else mentioned it I thought they'd had a better view.

Just another poor reaction from him then.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:32 pm

Yes, just poor goalkeeping. I didn't see a deflection either.

Part of the problem in the second half was Murphy and Bennett's distribution. I lost count of the number of times Merson was stood on the touchline, arms in air, marker nowhere in sight, and Bennett had the ball under no pressure or Muphy had a goal kick or ball in hands and just whacked it forwards nowhere near any of our players.

I can't see how JB's distribution is any better than Roper's to be honest. He really, badly needs a rest for a game or two.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:20 pm

another worthwile post from Phil. I'm glad i read it. :lol:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:53 pm

Mike T. wrote:I thought the tactic second half was for Merson and Fryatt to stand out wide on the flanks to avoid the giant centre half - the problem was our passing and Murphy's kicking was that poor we never found them. Just an opinion.

What they were doing was trying to go out wide and stop the wing backs from getting forward, especially their right wing back, who was dangerous all afternoon. Unfortunately, their defence just ignored them, so the tactic was pointless.

The way to play agaisnt 3 5 2 is to get your wingers to break into the space behind the wing backs, while the front two "pin down" the centre backs to make sure they can't cover, so you get round the back of the defence. Unfortunately, with Taylor having to be subbed for his own good and Leitai and Osborn's injuries, we didn't have the personnel left to do it, even if we'd wanted to.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:38 pm

Ive just seen the goals on central! There was no bloody deflection Murphy just stood there like a prize pratt :evil:
There was no offside on Merson's goal he just missed plain and simple a crap end to his crap day :evil:

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:46 pm

Wasn't there yesterday so can't comment, but I was driving through the Midlands during kick off and WM did say he looked flat footed, as did my old man.

Must admit, EIRE must have some crap keepers if Murphy is really their 3rd best option.

He looks as though he has it, but really does need to drop half a stone or more as he sometimes looks so lead footed.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:03 pm

Having now seen the goals and "miss" on Central :

1. there was certainly NO deflection whatsoever to excuse the first goal, though Murphy's view was blocked when Ferguson struck it. Even so I'd have thought there was more than enough room between Murphy & the last defender (Bennett) for him to have got a sight of it and made some attempt to save - after all it was not that far to his right as it crossed the line.

2. there was no way to tell from the TV pics if their guy was offside for their second. Some fans had a go at the Ref and linesman, but at the time he was right opposite me and I thought he was well onside and the goal was correctly given.

3. yes it was Williams who crossed for Jorge's goal - thanks Neil - the TV didn't show enough of the build-up but I'm sure Osborn was involved, as you have confirmed.

4. Merson was not offside for that chance in the closing stages. A defender was ahead of Merson, on the corner of the 6-yard box, and the 'keeper between the sticks. So the linesman got it badly wrong, but it made no difference as, regardless of the linesman, Merse should still have buried the bugg*r in the net. Awful miss, as bad as any we've seen this season I guess.

Back to the subject of goalkeepers, despite the "Calamity James" tag, I have to say that his instinctive save from Lampard's volley in injury time against Chelsea tonight was amongst the best saves I can ever remember seeing. So Stu, for a change, tonight I can only have praise for James, credit where credit is due. :D

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:04 pm

Stu, why did WM say your old man looked flat-footed ? Cheeky sods ! :D

PreviousNext
Return to 2004-05 Season