Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (h) - League - 29th January 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:34 am

Well pleased at seeing a result like this when I get in after a weekend in the wopwops with no internet for miles.

Sounds like an absolute cracker, and good to see that the supporters truly got behind the lads at the game. Well done everyone.

Were there any A4 'Merson Out' posters at the match :?: If so, when did they get torn up and thrown on the pitch?

Walsall Supporter

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:02 am

Didn't see any negative signs against Merson, only one banner saying Merson's our man.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:35 pm

I was obviously very pleased with the comeback and the three welcome points.

However, I don't want to get too carried away with Saturday. As previously mentioned, the defence was shambolic throughout. You'd have thought that these players had never met before.

On another day Merson's goal would have comeback off the post and Matty's first would have just gone over the bar. We had a bit of the rub of the green, without it we could have been talking about a 3 -2 defeat and whole different outlook on the game.

My biggest concern is the fact that it's another encouraging performance after a disaster of a match. After we lost to Slough the Peterborough match was described as a make or break game for Merson. We then turned in a much more impressive performance, which on the face of it proved the doubters wrong. Yet again we turned it on after an embarrasing mauling (not that I'm complaining), but is this just another false dawn ? Another case of papering over the cracks ? Will the performances slide back to their usual rubbish until we get another disaster performance ? Will the cycle repeat itself over and over again ? How many repatitions will it take before some of the 'blinded by Merson's personality' fans start to see a pattern developing ?

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:56 pm

I've said similar on SaddlersFC Dave.

Yes, it was a good performance, but it wasn't the 'fantastic', 'superb' performance that I've seen folk saying here and on WM afterwards.

At the end of the day, we will not score two "wonder goals" and a penalty every match.

The defence was atrocious and we still missed good chances in open play.

Yes it was a good comeback, but the questions are still there. And if that had been Luton/Hull/Tranmere et al on Saturday afternoon, we'd have been buried.

London Saddler

Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:53 pm

Positives: Great entertainment, 3 points, we looked great going forward in midfield and attack and should have scored a hatful more and 2 contenders for goal of the season. Merson(yet again) played a major part in at least 3 of our goals

Negatives: Shambles in defence with another mid table side looking like they could score every time they went forward against us, especially in the 1st half. Murphy doesn't inspire confidence(although blameless for the goals we let in on saturday). We know our full backs can't defend yet we persist with a formation which often leaves them one on one. Emblem(my man of the season so far) has lost form and is vulnerable against any sort of pace. I don't know if Bennett is tired or has let the transfer talk/praise go to his head but he has turned into a real liability and has personally gifted the opposition a goal a game in our last 3 games. He needs to be replaced by Roper(if fit) for the Wrexham game

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season