Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (h) - League - 29th January 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:00 pm

Yes Well. What a boring game.

I have to say that was a brilliant performance to come back from 3-1 down. Fryatt deserved m.o.t.m and took his goals well. Taylor played well.

But, as my text message said on WM...

The problems that were there on tuesday night have not gone away! We're still defending in a very sloppy manner, conceding silly goals, failing to clear the ball, only playing well WHEN we need to. We seem to rely on teams giving us incentive to beat them, now that is fine at home, because we'll win 75% of games.

However, away from home, we'll keep putting in performances like Colchester and Tranmere. We can't play the way we're playing.

Today, we've had a player on the top of his game, who took three goals very well - that wont happen every week.

Away from home, teams will settle and relax more, and we'll keep getting thrashed, and to be honest, Paul Merson is still not the long term manager of this club.

There are still too many issues with his management

1. At tranmere, not only is osborne in the starting line up, he's skipper. Today? Nowhere to be seen. He's either good enough or not.

2. We can't defend. We're sloppy.

3. We're second to loose balls

4. We're not concisive enough in midfield

5. There are still players who are NOT GOOD ENOUGH> Zigor, Jorge

Things have not changed because of one very entertaining adrenelin fueled win. People who support walsall are too soft. Merson is not a good enough manager, the football we play is not good enough. Merson is dillusional. Yet he gets a standing ovation? This man has lead the team to relegation battle and saw the team lose 5-0 in midweek and wanted to resign .... I know lets sing his name and give him a standing ovation?

HELLO!!! Wake up - he's not good enough! Its just a matter of time until we start playing pants again, and his considers quitting again.

In my view it was a bad decision to appoint him, and its just going to die a natural death now, but its people like those "one paul merson" fans today who keep him at the club.

If he's not good enough, then he's not good enough, don't let a 4-3 win obscure your vision! Conceding 3 at home is no where near good enough, and we wont get away with it 90% of the time.

Mark my words, it is a matter of time before people realise he is not the man to take the club out of this league. To be promoted, take example from Tranmere. You need to be fit, organised and motivated. We aren't.

How many times do tranmere go down a goal or three before winning? I rest my case.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:08 pm

That was wonderful stuff. Kris Taylor and young Matty were great. Merson was at his best and Kinsella had his best game for the Saddlers.

Paul Merson is becoming a " Charismatic Leader" People just love him If he gets a right-hand man with tactical nouse we could be on to something.

You just can't keep the man down, I'm on the swing again.

Well done to all the team, fantastic entertainment :D

scotty

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:12 pm

Excellent post phil - summed up superbly.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:24 pm

Lot of truth there Phil, good post.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:27 pm

Best game of the season. Both teams attacked, probably because their defences are crap, and it was end to end for 90 minutes. To go 2-0 down and still win shows the heart that is to be found in the team. Taylor looks to be the missing link. More pace and more awareness than Osborn allowed Kinsella to play his game and turn in a second fantastic home performance in a row. Taylor looks to have finally taken in just how lucky he has been in his football career and what it means to wear a club's shirt, and if a 2 month spell at Burton Albion can do that to him, then maybe some of the senior pros should receive the same treatment!

I thought the majority of the crowd today was excellent. Especially after Merson's goal and for the remainder of the game. Vocal and encouraging. No booing, no abuse of players, just good old-fashioned support. It was like the crowd of the latter days today, the hardcore support was there and it showed. The players stepped up to the plate and delivered.

Leitao battled hard upfront and deserved a goal, and words cannot explain Fryatt's goal. If you havn't seen it, but saw Standings goal or Wracky's scorcher from earlier this season, all I can say is that is beats them both by a country mile. The only goal that has been better than it at Bescot is Boli's overhead kick, and the only goal I can think that it is similar to is Corica's from the opening day against Albion a couple of seasons ago. He will never score as good a goal in his life!

I think Bennett needs a rest at the back. Roper to come back in next Saturday as Bennett is looking jaded and is making silly mistakes that can only harm the team and his confidence. What we don't need is Benno becoming our weak link after such a great season so far. Still not convinced with Cafu Wright and full back. Zigor did well after a shaky start, and Emblen looked more assured after the initial barrage was over. However, this doesn't get away from the fact that we are still conceding silly and pointless goals, and if we continue to defend that way we will get plenty more drubbings ala Colchester.

Wrack, Kinsella and Taylor solid in midfield. Wracky played like it was 1998 in the build up to the winner with a surging break out of his own half, whilst Taylor popped up everywhere and Kinsella ate everything up and put in some biting tackles. Merse reacted to the response of the crowd and put in a fine performance with some polished touches. It was 'Commeth the Hour, commeth the man' with our first, and the pass for the winner was sublime. Fryatt must love to play alongside a player of that vision and ability. Not the best manager in the league by any stretch of the imagination, but the best footballer in League One by far.

If you didn't go today out of a petty protest against Merson and the board I'm glad. If you can't be bothered to support the team when they need it most, then just don't bother! The true fans turned out today and they saw an inspirational performance in the last hour that has given hope after the darkest week of Merson's tenure. However, we need to tighten up and be much more solid or we will be found out again and again by the better teams in the league. As Phil has said, how many times to Tranmere go 2-0 or 3-1 behind?

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:30 pm

The problem is we're just too "Jekyll and Hyde" for my liking. We gave up against Colchester but fought back today. What was the difference? Was it because we were at home?

Can you imagine where we would be if our away record was even half decent?

I just don't understand it. The problem is obvious - our away record stinks and we generally play crap. I was at Stockport for our single vistory and it was not convincing at all. Yet at home, certainly at the games I have seen, we've been fine.

That's the root of the problem.

Congatulations to the lads today - I feared the worst but they showed a lot of bottle wich some peple have accused the lads of lacking (including myself).

Up the Saddlers!!!

WSOne
UTS Regular

No Protest From Me

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:46 pm

I'm a true Saddlers fan and I didn't go today Jorge14.
I simply couldn't get to the game this afternoon.
What a match to miss though! Kearns described it as the best in three years.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Fryatts first looked an absolute screamer, one of the best ive seen down there.

Still, Unless you've got sky, itll be blink and youll miss it with ITV or BBC on their sports "round up".

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:14 pm

Oh, and lets not be too naive about Kris Taylor. Didn't he go through a similar 'miracle transformation' last season?

Didn't colin want to ship him out, only to give him a chance, he played well a couple of times, only to fade into obscurity till today. Deja vu, or a new start?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:24 pm

One more, then im off for a beer...

Did anyone else notice Zigor having a go at Neil Emblem today when it was Zigor's fault for being too slow to react? couldn't believe that. What a dippy spanish fool.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:55 pm

My thoughts;

My position re: Merson, which hasn't changed after today - like most I would love to see him become a successful Walsall manager - I'm still not convinced he will.

Today's game;

Firstly, what a great atmosphere - after Tuesday, and after the first 10 minutes of todays game, I was amazed at how the crowd pulled behind the manager and team - whether I think he should be in charge or not - I always get behind the team during the game. The defending was absolutely awful in the first half, and didn't get much better in the second - no-one has really mentioned how well Murphy did today - were it not for him it could have been 5 or 6 goals to them! Bennett looks like he needs a rest - I still think he is one of our brightest prospects. Emblem wasn't as good as we know he can be, and Wright (as a defender) was poor.

Now the positives;

I thought the midfield were great today, especially Kinsella and Kris Taylor - who, as others have said, may have got MOM if Fryatt hadn't bagged a hattrick.

Merson didn't hide either - he and Wrack also played well. I thought Jorge did OK - still lacks the pace he once had. Fryatt took his goals well, and did really well with the penalty after the ref took an age to get everyone settled. Still gets pushed off ythe ball too easily and lacks enough pace to really hit the "big time".

To sum up;

A great battling performance to come back after a truly awful first 15 mins defending, well done to all - especially Merson who may have considered subbing himself and jumping in the car to go home!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:33 pm

WAAAAAGH!, yes yes yes, captain kronenberg is back and he's loving it.

well done boys, the defence is crap but they came back after one of the most minging weeks in recent walsall hstory. glad merson scored, bet the atmosphere was on fire when we went 4 3 up.

fryatt- good come back.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:45 pm

philthesaddler wrote:One more, then im off for a beer...

Did anyone else notice Zigor having a go at Neil Emblem today when it was Zigor's fault for being too slow to react? couldn't believe that. What a dippy spanish fool.

Shows how much you know Phil. It was Emblens fault for losing the ball. Did you not see Kinsella and others having a go at Emblen not Zigor?

Agree with the above. Same old, same old with a bit more excitement. Go behind at home and come back to win (which I won a bet on!). Unless we do the same away we'll still be the same team.

Having said that today was excellent, the best game in ages. Every player was up for it but it pisses me off that it takes a dreadful performance like at Col U to bring out the best in them.

It was always going to be difficult to defend against the 3 big blokes, Abbot, Beckett and Booth but we didn't even get close enough to them. A nudge or a dig in the ribs is the way to beat them if you can't beat them in the air.

All goals were excellent and Fryatts is one of the best at Bescot for ages. He took the last one well too as it was bobbling about a bit. Kinsella was like a man possessed at times and is the biting midfielder we have been lacking all season. Taylor also got stuck in several times but was creative at the same time.

What was I saying the other day about togetherness? The crowd was fantastic today. I was very surprised by the support that Merson got, even after going 2 nil down but everyone got behind him and the team and I think it made a big difference. If the team started to make a habit of that kind of performance the atmosphere would be better every week.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:08 pm

MMF, I did notice Emblem, he failed to clear, but i thought it ridiculous that Aranalde turned round and had a go at him, when ZA failed to do anything.

Saddler Jim
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:50 am

GUTS,GUTS,GUTS,This is what we showed today,we would'nt lie down,and that was the main difference today,the team would fold very easly before,but not today.everything has been said in previence posting about the game,I hope this has taught them something show the same comitment every game from now on,and its not to late.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:49 am

It won't help unless we get someone at this football club, either as Manager or Assistant, who knows how to coach and organise a defence. Granted Bennett looked a bit jaded (no surprise at his age with the games he's played), but the problems yesterday were all to do with organisation. I suspect there's a correlation between Barlow going and the back four having no clue who was supposed to be picking up who yesterday and trying to play a zonal marking system that some Premiership defenders struggle with. (Perfect example yesterday was when Aranalde "handed" the player over to Bennett as he'd moved into his area, and then went back to the wing to mark nobody!

As for the midfield and attack - superb. Nothing else needs to be said.

SO 7

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:05 am

As I understand it, Barlow was at Colchester, was he not, Neil?

Eddie HTFC

Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:10 am

Obviously gutted at losing from a two-goal advantage. Not getting at least point is hardf to take. Credit where it is due though, I thought your attacking display was as good if not better than anything Ive witnessed at this level. Incisive and quick with loads of movement, u could have six or seven. I had expected your home support to turn on Merson at 2-0 down but just the opposite happened, u pumped up the volume got behind your boys and they repaid you. Sort out that dodgy defence ( the young guy in partic) and u could do some serious damage playing like that. How can u get beat 5 at Col U and play like that a few days later? Good support and a good name for the neutral. Ta.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:02 pm

Eddie,

That match was WFC in a nutshell I'm afraid. I genuinely don't think there is another team in this division that goes forward as well as we do, however its often undone by lousy finishing, which we did suffer from yesterday as well.

Conversely, you've got that abysmal defence.

I think its time Jules was rested, he has had a superb season, but Tuesday and yesterday must be really hitting his confidence. It maybe time to give him a little rest and pick his chin up. Its also the reason I've said many a time that he isn't ready to step up a level yet either.

Ideally, I'd like a new left back, a new right back and a real gobby organising centre half for next season.

At 2-0 and 3-1, I thought I was seeing Tuesday all over again. But they were superb, which makes this season even more frustrating.

Hope Kris Taylor's new found attitude is here to stay, he was cracking yesterday.

Thought the fans were fantasic yesterday, that's what we need to be doing every week.

Mike T.
UTS Veteran

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:29 pm

Cant stand the man but has anybody else read Martin Swain's prediction for yesterday's game in Thursday's or Friday's online edition of the Express & Star. I think the only thing he got wrong was the prediction Merse would score the winner!!
It seems a fair summary of the man and maybe his first stab at management. How many more times can we come back from behind in games like this? We must be setting some sort of record for turning matches round - at least at home.
Agree with everybody that perhaps it is time to give Jules a rest. Is McShane still technically with us on loan - can he takeover when he has recovered from injury.
Ah well - a week's rest before the rollercoast starts again. Some of Wrexham's injured players seem to be on the way back - get the valium ready!!

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:06 pm

People are picking indivudal defenders for the goals, but to me, they were all much the same in style with chaos ensuing whenever the ball dropped in our box. All 4 of our defenders did something crazy to lead to one of Huddersfields 3 goals. Right and Emblen have trouble clearing. Bennett and Zigor have an abilty to switch off and visit another plain of exsistance, like out of body experiances. Both our full backs and most of the midfield bar Krissy T yesterday in the first 20 minutes were quite happy to let Huddersfield swing balls in to the box whenever they pleased.

I don't know how much some of our defending can be coached out. Zigor has been prone to switching off since the day he got here. 3 Walsall managers have failed to sort out his defensive awareness. Lee and Merson even tried playing someone else there, but none matched his prowess going forward.

Wright, he is still long and with another season or two at right back this lad will become a class act. He has quite clearly learnt his trade as an attacking player and that natural defensive attitude is still being nurtured. He would benefit under someone like Chris Nicholl a-la Roper.

Emblen was poor for the first 20-30 minutes yesterday and seemed very timid. You can say what you want about him, but in a season where we have been striving for consistency, he is one of only 2 or 3 players that have deliverd consistancy week in week out.

Benett has come along long way in the last 12 months. From reserve / youth team football to playing at the heart of an exposed defeat where none of them apart from him are natural defenders. Like people say he would benefit from a rest.

We must remember that out of the current back 4, i would say that Jules is the onyl natural defender. Wright has always been an offensive player. Zigors attacking attributes outweigh his defensive ones, while i would doubt Emblen has never had a full season at Center Half in the 10-15 years he has been playing.

Jorge14
UTS Legend

Re: No Protest From Me

Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:36 pm

WSOne wrote:I'm a true Saddlers fan and I didn't go today Jorge14.
I simply couldn't get to the game this afternoon.
What a match to miss though! Kearns described it as the best in three years.

How dare you comment on the game! :wink:

"If you didn't go today out of a petty protest against Merson and the board I'm glad. If you can't be bothered to support the team when they need it most, then just don't bother."

Did you not go because of a petty protest? No, you didn't go because you couldn't make it to the game! I wasn't actually having a go at you, but oh well...we won!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:36 pm

Attacking, fine, great spirit and fightback even though half of them looked knackered, must be all that time off.

We will never be successful as long as we continue to defend so badly.

Our fans, got to take my hat off. 5-0 defeat and 2-0 down and STILL singing Mersons name, quite incredible backing. Can't help but think maybe some forgot what colours we play in???

SO 7

Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:48 pm

[b]I SAID NEIL, AS I UNDERSTAND IT, BARLOW WAS AT COLCHESTER, WAS HE NOT?[/b] Or perhaps this is one of the many times when its not convenient for you to reply as your original post was rubbish...again.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:13 pm

SO7 why are you shouting????????

SO 7

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:21 pm

Only because Neil chooses to ignore a valid point raised as a response to yet another of his spiteful digs at Merson.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:26 pm

Ever thought that he might not have logged in since you posted that?

But then again I bet you always get lost in thought...it's unfamiliar territory to you.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:39 pm

Sorry - been out all day - "one swallow does not a summer make"

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:35 pm

Brilliant game, best entertainment of the season. But who'd have thought that at ten past three - two goals down, stupid, shambolic defending yet again (which continued through the game but fortunately only cost one more goal). When Merson scored I said to the chap next to me he was the only player at the club who could score a goal like that, then when Fryatt's first went in - wow. Most magical goal since Boli's overhead. Our fourth was a result of absolutely brilliant football.

If we could sort the bloody defending out and the midfield and attack played like that all the time we'd be top of the league. But I fully expect normal service to be resumed, if not against Wrexham (surely we'll beat them) then at Bristol.

There were many positives to come out of the game, obviously Fryatt's performance and amazing goals, Merson played very well, Kinsella had his best performance for the club, doing everything he should be doing and looking a class apart from other holding midfielders we've seen in this league. But maybe the best was Mick Halsall on the sidelines, who from the moment we went 2 0 down was constantly shouting at the defence, telling them what to do, telling Zigor (as presumably the most vocal defender) to get them in a proper line, never letting up. Was very pleased to hear him on a few occasions shout at Jorge to up his workrate. He knew exactly what needed doing and he got the players to do it. Pity he doesn't want to work with the first team full time, he could be just the answer we need.

It doesn't take a genius to work out the negatives from the game, with Emblen and Bennett's woeful performances being that. Hope to see Roper back for the next game with Bennett given a rest.

The long term problems are exactly as they were before the game. As Neil so sagely says, a swallow doesn't make a summer, and unless Merson can get the players wound up enough to play like they did from 3:10 onwards every week (which, frankly, a better motivational manager would be able to) then we'll soon slip back into the normal routine.

Interesting that Osborn wasn't even on the bench. Perhaps he's finally used up his last life.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:06 pm

The whole point is that the team switched off Tuesday. Saturday's defending was just rank - organisationally. They need the sorting out a good defensive coach would give them, just as last year we needed the flair adding.

PreviousNext
Return to 2004-05 Season