Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Tranmere (a) - League - 22nd January 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tranmere (a) - League - 22nd January 2005

Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:12 pm

I'll start this one off, as the match preview is now on the front page. I think we're going to get a draw!

MERSONOUT

Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:09 pm

Cant see nothing other than a Tranmere win. We have been awful in nearlt every away game this season so cant see it changing.

2-0 Tranmere, and thats me being optimistic.

P.S Look out for my Merson out banner at Prenton Park tomorrow.

Cully
Site Addict

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:30 pm

I think I'll give this one a miss after reading that Leitao will be our lone striker. What's the point? May as well go and watch Stafford Rangers.

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:41 pm

I cant go to Tranmere but would happily take the draw :)

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:20 am

Ah well, 11.15 and still waiting for the "AM" delivery of my new tumble dryer - what fun middle age is turning out to be.

That's my trip to scouseland buggered, I was so looking forward to getting behind the lads but it looks as though a good old moan will have to do. And the missus did the fruit and veg shopping in the week so I havn't even got the excitement of Tom Owens to console myself. Might just go there anyway and browse around a bit, that's if these retards ever turn up.

sj
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:50 am

I'm off to the game now with my two boys. I am currently happy,talk to you all later

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:06 pm

Slightly odd team.

Murphy
Wright Emblen Bennett Aranalde
Standing Osborn Kinsella Wrack
Merson
Leitao

Subs: Paston, Dann, Broad, Williams, Robinson

John Macca

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:17 pm

Murphy lets in another for his old pals. He just can get over his Tranmere days can he?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:04 pm

obviously not

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:06 pm

Come on lads, put one (or two) into the back of their net, you've got 45 mins :idea:

John Macca

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:11 pm

Game over. The soft tarts throw the towel in again. Some rookie steps up and hits the ball into the 'middle' of the net? Where was Murphy? with his pals behind the goal I presume!

Surrey Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:12 pm

Sorry I spoke. Its the old old story again :( :cry: :oops: :x :evil:

Macca

Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:23 pm

u sure surrey?

Macca

Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Unlucky lads, at least you tried.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:06 pm

Yet another away loss.
So its 1 away win in god knows how many for Merson. And that was against a pub team who are currently a mile at the bottom of the league.
For the sake of this football club. MERSON OUT.
Hes a useless idiot. WHo has no clue whatsoever.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:16 pm

Now before anyone starts whinging I would just like to say what a tremendous result this was. How the hell anyone can expect us to beat Tranmere I don't know. Last month we lost 2-0 at home to them, now its only 2-1 away, so credit where credits due pope paul and high profile frank are obviously sorting things out big style, and I am 200% behind the clown.

Before anyone mentions that we're 16th, I would like to say that if you add 1 and 6 that makes 7 making us one place off the play-offs so SHUT YER WHINGING YAKS.

Anyway brilliant, its just brilliant. Last week's form worked out really well with the dog and duck losing 4-2 at home to Wrexham so shove that in ha pipe and schmooooook it.

I really hope some long haird people from Numbties Minus Froliclacious Egotrips managed the rather long and arduous journey to the wirral (aww 2 hours bless em)l. I look forard to their witty interpretationa of our current predic, and maybe an anonoymous post or two slagging off yours truely its the only thing that makes life ineteresting with pope Paul in charge, And by the way Belgian Saddler's a bald tw*t. Can't believe he registered his user name on here then never made one post like some gits gonna pinch Belgian saddlers user id. ooooooohhhh malevolence.

Yes I've had some beer, so what?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:58 pm

Less of the sarcasm Geordie, at least he saw half the light and changed the formation. Of course, that meant playing a right winger on the left wing and a central midfielder on the right wing, but we all know how well the squad have performed this season every time they've been asked to play out of position, don't we?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:04 pm

Wasn't the change of formation brought about by injury, not conscious choice?

Naturally it's because of injuries that we lost 2-1. Lord knows what would happened if we'd turned up at their gaff and played 4-3-1-2 though.

From the heady pre-season days, I am now immune to disappointment when we lose away. Just like thermometers in January back in blighty, my expectations are sub-zero. Such exquisite football fan conditioning will set me up nicely for the next few years of going nowhere, I'm sure.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:53 pm

So it looks like Marvin Robinson isn't convincing Merson then. No surprise, I'm yet to see anything off him that resembles a League 2 footballer, let alone League 1.

I'm thinking of sending a fax to WFC on Monday, FTAO Joe Murphy. I was going to warn him that Colchester are going to have a shot in the 8th minute, he may want to consider diving when we kick off to make sure he gets down in time. Good job we don't play Grimsby, you may get fisherman trying to harpoon him. Still, he'll keep his place despite not really looking much better than Paston.

Oh well, at least I won't go to Colchester with any hopes on Tuesday night.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:03 pm

Good decision not to go to Tranmere to watch 'Mersons mindless middle of the road show'. If as you say Geordie you've been on the beer perhaps you have given us all an insight into what alcohol can do to someones brain and if Mersons team talks are anything like your posting perhaps that goes a long way to explaining why the players are unable to respond. I, like Exile, have started to become immune to the predictable away defeats and feel like I've been transported back to the Kenny Hibbit days of dross. I suppose we'll hear the same old rubbish from PM about how we were the better team, we were unlucky, we've got the best squad of players in the division, drone, drone, cockney drone etc. etc.

By the way, the Stafford Rangers game was excellent entertainment and superb value for money, four goals to nil, one a tremendous free kick from outside the box, proper football team with players in recognisable roles and formation, ie. full back, ball winning midfielders, wingers and centre forward playing and performing to their best ability with 100% effort throughout the game, real chips, beer at half time in the social club and no booing of home players despite their considerable lack of skill.

It's taken Paul Merson 5 months to destroy any hope that I had for this season. Colchester away on Tuesday, anybody going?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:07 pm

Guess what, Cully, he was on WM saying we matched them were possibly the better team in the second half, could have gone in one up instead of one down - are you psychic?

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:10 pm

Just look back at my post for the oldham game and the rest for that matter and get the same opinion on our performance. We simply dont change. I aint going to colchester tuesday night because after being present at every away game and watching the same type of "we will start playing when we are losing" performance i think I deserve a night off.
We started just as dull as we have done for the majority of the season.
Murphy fudge up again. Osborn was tremendous today! :D yeah right! Wracky scored on saturday so hes done enough for a few weeks now. Bennett what the bloody hell was he thinking for their 2nd?

As for the 2nd half we was the only team in it, but not wanting to shoot and the ability not to get forward when in promising positions showed with the possession compared with lack of shots. So we are back to 16th in the league what is it merse, weve got to win 6 more to be safe? Merse if we win its lets look at the play-offs and when we lose relegation is likely sort yourself out!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:16 pm

But absolutely nothing has changed at all from the start this season - that's the problem I have with him. Nothing learned, no changes, no tactical switches, nothing - just the same old thing which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. The old scratched 45 with the needle stuck (one for the teenagers)

Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:29 pm

I refuse to comment on the whys and wherefores of team performance while we have a fat prick in charge of team affairs.

Merson is not a manager. He is just a man with a title of manager.

coxanddrummie(a man of principle)

Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:22 am

I didn't go to Tranmere because i just knew that i would be wasting my money. I have come to accept that when we play away there really isn't much hope of a win, a sad of state of affairs for my club.

We will continue like this while he remains in charge, not lose many at home, win hardly anything away. if he keeps doing the same things next season it will be exactly the same.

Another thing that slightly worries me about him being manager next season is will he really know what players to get rid of because he seems to have a different 'hes the first name on my teamsheet' quote every few games. I just think he will probably be thinking of releasing certain players they then have a good game near the end of the season and he changes his mind and thinks they are world beaters again. Sorry about the moan but i am getting fed up with this.

sj
Site Addict

Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:26 am

Port Sunlight Was nice. The team played well Jorge led the line well, the midfield competed and the defence was rather strong. Oh and Ossy had a good game.

Problems for me were: toothless most of the time in attack, slow to break with everything having to go via Merson and ,al a Neil Geordie and Sheff, Merson did not change things even when the fans were chanting " sort it Out Merson" on several occasions. I would have taken Merson and Jorge off, with Leroy and Robinson on for the last half hour.

But they battled and it was a very good game, stimulating stuff.

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:55 am

Cully, I'm a fan not a manager, but even after several pints in mid August I could of, and in fact did tell you what was likely to happen if we continued with Merson in charge. So if its insight your looking for maybe I can be of service, particularly if its taken your sober self fve months to realise what was blindingly obvious after 3 matches. But well done, you got there in the end, as will everyone else, its just a matter of time.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Thanks Merse! You've just saved me about £100 in wasted trips to Colchester, Bristol City and Luton.

You're a good un.

Tony Darlo

Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:22 pm

I was actually there yesterday though dont really know why I went!! Another impotent performance Im afraid. The players play with the attitude that Merse adopted towards away games last season, ie 'I dont really fancy this, Id much rather we were at home'. Very poor and no sign of any real improvement anywhere. I will be at Col U, again I dont know why Im going. Ive clearly got more money than sense.

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:35 pm

I must admit, I think Frank Barlow is escaping quite lightly as well.

If Merson is on the pitch, he isn't going to have the vision to see which changes are best. That's when Barlow has to use his experience and just make the decision. If Barlow isn't going to make those brave tactical decisions, thens whats the point.

In our situation, if we're 2-1 down, we may as well go all out and lose 3-1 chasing, than 2-1 doing nothing.

I'll waste money on trips to Colchester and Luton as they're local matches to me, Luton is just 10 miles away. I was going to go to Bristol City, but it'd need an afternoon of work, a drive around the M25/M4, petrol money, entrance money, a shite drive back. May pass on that one.

Next
Return to 2004-05 Season