Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Chesterfield (h)- League - 15th January 2005

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Wharfie

Location: Just down the Wednesbury Road, seeing the Walsall Aces...

Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:47 pm

oops sorry Exile :)

in that case...anima todos

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:01 pm

Oi! No big words on here. Or even little words that I don't understand. The Krypton Factor avatar is quite apt. I bet you'd be cr@p on the assault course or landing the plane though. :lol:

Wharfie

Location: Just down the Wednesbury Road, seeing the Walsall Aces...

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:07 pm

I reckon I could clock the plane sim you know.

As for the assault course...would love to have a go but the A-frame would bloody kill me and id end up going arse over tit into the water at the end of the slidy line thing.

spot the difference
ImageImage

dogg & folan

веселит все

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:24 pm

Nescio quid dicas Wharfie, die dulci freure!

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:38 pm

You can shut it an' all!

I bet Forlan doesn't say D to the double G and an O (or whatever it is) in every sentance he says though.

Boris

Sheff's biggest fan

Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:24 am

You can leave this site for months, come back and some things never change.

Take Shef Saddler for example. He was a total knob four years ago when I first logged on, and he still is today.

Full of opinions, full of criticism. Full of HIMSELF ?

We beat a team above us 3-0, play well and create loads of chances. And he still moans.

You need to become a Wolves fan kid. With friends like you, who needs enemies?

I know you are only young, and students tend to be a bit up themselves and eager to say something (anything) to seem like they know what they are talking about. You don't.

Well done Walsall.

And to that bitter Chesterfield fan, look in the paper mate. It says Walsall 3 Chesterfield 0. END OF STORY. That's all that counts, we all have a million and one sob stories and "if's buts and maybes". You lost to the (much) better side on the day.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:56 am

You're so right Boris - some things never change ??

Six and a half lines having a go at a fellow Saddlers fan, three words on the match - "Well done Walsall" - and two lines having a side-swipe at an opposition fan.

And Sheff's not only a knob, but even worse a STUDENT - bit of unreliable information there I think ! :D

Priceless !!

As for the match, well yes we were the better side, but it's easy to allow the win to mask over the inadequacies. This was no classic performance, and we kept Chesterfield in the game with some ridiculous misses from a number of relatively easy chances. So when we allowed Chesterfield to start to get on top in the last 15 minutes, Murphy was severely tested twice. If he hadn't managed those saves, our numerous missed chances could have proved very costly. Even if one of them had gone in it would have lifted Chesterfield, and I've no doubt we'd have come under severe pressure in the closing stages. For me, even though it was late on, the third goal came as quite a relief.

Don't get carried away just because of a rare victory against poor (on the day) opponents. We really do have to work harder on finishing teams off. By half-time this game could and should have been over by a mile, yet the opposition were still in with a shout five minutes from the final whistle.

I'm well pleased with the three points, but I don't think this time next week we'll be looking back on this as a kick-start to the final run-in.

Boris

More ifs, buts and maybes

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:43 pm

Geoff,

I certainly wasn't getting carried away, just giving credit where credit is due.

And you sum it up yourself so well by using the word "if".

If, perhaps, if, maybe, but, if, maybe..blah blah blah.

None of that is relevant mate. IF we had taken our chances and they had taken theres it would have been 6-2. Does you speculation about the ifs and buts add anything to the debate ? No, I thought not.

I take you point about wasting my breath on criticising another "fan", but he spends most of his time talking negative rubbish and I have to say, he is extremely irritating.

Up the Saddlers!

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:03 pm

To be honest Boris, I think the ifs, buts and maybes do add something - they add a bit of perspective to the opinions on the game - we could easily be getting over-impressed by this win and what it might or might not signal.

I enjoyed the win - as I always do - but there were too many things that went on out there yesterday for me to see this as any kind of milestone.

I think you said it yourself in your first post on this thread - let's get things into perspective, or words to that effect - quite right, although at the time I thought the overall perspective coming across was already quite well balanced.

Burnside
UTS Regular

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:04 pm

I think we saw the best sides of many things today.

Mark Wright as an attacking force.
Paul Merson being able to hang about where he wants.
Matt Fryatt being good and lucky on the ball
Zigor not having to defend (that much)
Joe Murphy on top form.

We need to see more of this to improve.

Good points from the Chesterfield fan, but she wasn't there today and isn't entitled to an opinion.

Zippy
Glitterati

Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:45 pm

Some on here will never be happy.

I thought we put in a good performance today, Murphy was excellant.

This could be the beginning of a good run, let's not be negative, it dosen't matter that it was only Chesterfield, we won and we dominated the game.

I must admit I was surprised at Merson getting MOTM, but let's remember that this is chosen by the match sponsors who tend to award it to their favourite player.

Remember Bennet got it the other week even though he had scored an own goal!!!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:19 pm

look, its a win, a clean sheet and a starting point. At least they can approach the tranmere game with a bit more confidence, no harm in that.
A good win which made my saturday night more enjoyable (plus the lap dancer at expose in brum,nice).

Oh yeah, chesterfield boy, M. robinson, shite ? , cos your strikers are filling up the scoring charts eh?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:34 pm

Expose??? The poor mans lap dancing club in Brum :lol: :lol:

If you call lap dancing a cheap hobby! Not that I would know of course.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:54 pm

we all get our jollys one way or another MMF. mind you, I wouldnt call 20 notes a dance cheap. Still, it was worth it to see our mate slapped around by a couple of dancers. poor kid cant sit down today.

Not that I normally visit these kind of establishments you understand.

( brown mac saddler)

Geordiesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:58 pm

Exile, we did have some width yesterday because Mark Wright got forward pretty well - as he did at Bradford when we also played well. Also there were two or three ocassions when Merson actually ran at their defence and opened things up. I don't expect him to do this for 90 minutes, but if he'd do it more often we would be a much more difficult team to play against.

Aldridge Steve - one more remarkable thing - we won in January!

Spire person, you were the worst team I have seen since we played Stockport at home about 3 years ago. And considering how bad we have been at times over the last 12 months that is saying something. Still if you get behind the lads everything will probably be ok.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:19 pm

I have to admit when i was on the way to the game today I really felt negative towards the board,manager,players and the fans. I tried to be negative but as the lads started I really couldnt. We played well over 90 minutes for only the second time this season. Although Chesterfield never turned up we can only beat whats put in front of us. I was really impressed with Wrighty yesterday, I dont think hes a premiership defender :) but he had his best game for us. Murphy made a few top quality saves and thought Kinsella and Wracky played quite well.

ITS A START. Tranmere are the type of team we have got to go anbd get a result. Hhow we have played this season away from home i very much doubt it BUT yesterdays "professional performance" (how often have we been able to say that?) as given me confidence for next week.
I still dont agree with Merse being manager but lets leave that subject for another time lets just enjoy the performance and result as we aim to put a dissapointing year behind us.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:55 pm

Thanks for answering my question, geordie - much appreciated.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:58 pm

Whoops - Completely missed that!

Stu
UTS Legend

Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:54 pm

Very good performance against the worst team I've seen in ages.

Any team that comes with a 4-5-1 and Wayne Allison up front from kick off deserves to be stuffed.

Wasn't great yesterday as we wasted far too many chances, and in all honesty, had it not been for Murphy they could have come right back into the game. We must learn to kill the game off.

Robinson still looks crap, really haven't seen anything from him that warrants a longer term deal or even a starting place. I'd rather have Gary Birch.

Hope folk aren't getting too over-excited though, as they were dire. The next two away matches are the test. We've already had one good run against poor teams and we saw what happened against some half decent sides. Chesterfield were the poor team, Tranmere are now the half decent side.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:46 pm

In fairness Tranmere are more than half-decent, at least in terms of this division. I'm sure they'll easily be in the top six and probably challenging Hull to join Luton in the automatic spots at the end of the season.

And Chesterfield were very poor, but were they really worse than teams like MK Dons or Torquay (who we failed to beat) or Peterboro or Stockport (who we scraped wins against)? I don't think so. The most frustrating thing is that we should have been turning over teams as poor as Chesterfield all season long, and we haven't. And however well we played against them, if we get anything at all from Tranmere I'll be amazed.

Seemed to pick up a few injuries yesterday as well, with Emblen asking to be taken off, Leitao the same and Fryatt seemed to pick up a knock and was holding his thigh (and was nowhere near as good after that happened as he had been beforehand).

Good that both strikers scored, but they should each have had another one or two. Never mind - a 3-0 win is a 3-0 win, however the boo boys want to dress it up.

machew
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:50 am

It looked to me as though there has been some definate focus on being more incisive going forwards. Maybe there has been a realisation that we over elaborate the passing game when in the last third, cos I thought that we looked more threatening than we had for ages, hence creating several clear cut chances, which yes we should have scored more from. The chance that fell to Fryatt in the first half when they presented him with the ball on the edge of their own 6 yard box and he managed to fall over rather than even force a save was a shocker. This is where his sharpness and anticipation needs to be worked on. Same as his appealing for a penalty when the ball is about to drop infront of him. Concentrate on the game !!!

Incidentally I thought that their left sided midfielder looked a good player and was surprised to see him subbed - Smith was it ? And is it me or has Wayne Allison put loads of weight on ?

machew
UTS Regular

Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:33 am

C&D - how can you claim to be consistent ?

A few months ago you were telling us to mark your words that we will be relegated under Paul Merson. Now you seem to be coming from a different angle - a sort of "ok we're safely mid table, but we'll never go anywhere while PM is in charge".

That's consistent that is :lol:

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:02 pm

I wouldn't get too over excited about the performance. It was enough to beat Chesterfield but it wouldn't have been anywhere near good enough to beat any number of better teams in this division.

I didn't boo Merson's award of MOTM, but did raise my arms in disbelief. Where William Hill the match sponsors :lol:

After months of criticising Wright, I must hold my hands up and say I thought he had a great game (first twenty minutes apart). Also Kinsella was much improved.

near post header

negativity

Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:43 pm

Sheff, why do I get the feeling we could have won 17-0 and you'd still be bleating? Merse and the lads can only beat whats put infront of them. Have you read todays express and star per chance? The reporter points out how many fans just came to boo, guess your one such fan (but by no means alone on here). Fact 1, Merson is new to the role of manager. Fact 2, he inherrited a squad used to playing a completley different style and that by and large were ageing or not good enough. Fact 3, we are something like 9 points behind bristol city (in the playoffs) with a game in hand. Fact 4, Merson will bring in more of his own players in the summer. Give the bloke a chance. Yeah we might not go up this year but we'll be stronger for it next season. Merson desereved man of the match, haveing made two and had a hand in the first his contribution to a 3-0 win couldnt have been too much greater. Fine you don't like Merson but could you at least have the good grace to admit when he's got it right rather than slagging of the opposistion?

Phil_G

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Can I just take this opportunity to congratulate everyone for making a "2 page thread" out of a game we won.
This kind of accolade is usually reserved for sh!te performances only.

Well done everyone.

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:49 pm

Agree with madeley. as my commentsbaove prove

YGA Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:52 pm

bollocks i pressedthe wrong button.

As my comments above prove I went to the game ready to anger my frustrations out of the players/manager/board. But once i saw they were trying I got behind them which is more than can be said for sheffield.

geoffwhiting
Site Addict

Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:38 pm

nph, I think if you look back you'll remember that Merson made the third goal AFTER the MoM was announced, so that was not a factor. On the day, at least two, Kinsella and Wright, were head and shoulders above him for MoM, possibly others too. That was NO excuse for all that booing at the decision though, that was just plain stupid.

Previous
Return to 2004-05 Season