Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Bournemouth (a) - League - 10th August 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Bournemouth (a) - League - 10th August 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:56 am

By wfc_2uk (213.48.83.66) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

I think we will draw 1-1.
We'll go 1-0 up fryatt and Bournemouth will score with 10 mins left.

By ken (195.153.124.163) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

11- 1 to us if we give them a penalty , have 3 men sent off and Fryatt has an off day , and we leave the Williams and Taylor routine until the last 5 .

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I'd take a draw away at Bournemouth, its a tricky place to go to. I'm going to 2-2.

By 70's Man is Back. (195.92.168.179) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

What doz Mark Think J14.

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Team for Bournemouth?
McKinney
Bazeley, Roper, Emblen and Bennett.
Kinsella, Osborn, Wrack and Broad.
Fryatt and Williams.
Subs Corica, Jorge, Taylor(K), Taylor(D) and Paston.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Sheff, Roper is suspended. New rules mean that suspensions are now immediate, which I think is soft as what happens in those cases where its clearly a wrong decision.

Otherwise, I'll be pleased with a draw.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

70's Man, Mark thinks you should shave off your Tache.

By mikedoyle (81.130.224.204) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Osborne isn`t fit,I think it`s unlikely he will drop himself,Birch,& Standing from a squad that has just won 3-2 against Vale so;
Bennett to Centre-Half,K Taylor LB,Broad in for Standing.
Leroy,Jorge,D Taylor,keeper and Standing on the bench

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

What a rule that is! So what happened if we appeal against the decision then? Would they hear it in time for a match 3 days later?

By Fat-Controller (213.48.28.4) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

If a player is sent off over the weekend then the club have until 12 noon on the Monday in which to lodge an appeal against the decision.If the team in question such as Walsall have a match on the following Tuesday then the FA are duty bound to give a decision on the appeal prior to the match taking place.

By Andrew Curl (82.37.163.96) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

0-2 to Walsall. Easy as ;)

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

0-0. I was only five goals out on Saturday. A personal best.

By cheese bag (81.131.31.219) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Shef, you keep trying to get Corica in the squad, you even had him to score on Sat!!! Don't think he'll be involved. As regards to Williams/Taylor, still think they'll be the last 20 minute attacking option.

By Dave Roe (81.135.7.40) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

This is not a dig at Corica (first time for everything) but I doubt whether he will be much more than a bit part player this season. At the meet the manager evening I never heard Merse mention his name once, and he mentioned numerous players.

Personally I can't say I'm over bothered. He's a better player than most of us will admit, the problem is that he doesn't seem very bothered to prove us wrong.

By Stu (195.92.67.75) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

But as you keep saying Dave, if players aren't/weren't played in their right position then they'll never perform.

Its what everyone said about Merson (although I still say his best performances for us came early season when he was actually playing up front), but nobody ever mentions it about Corica. He was stuck out on right midfield and slated for not performing there, when his best position is that behind the front two.

By Dave Roe (81.135.7.40) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 10:43 pm: Edit

His best position is in the front of a queue waiting to board a Quantas flight to Sydney. Only joking, honest, just trying to wind Sheff up

A player of his ability shouldn't use the excuse of playing out of position as a reason for continual under performance. It's up to him to play out of his skin, become the first choice on the team sheet and then demand he plays in his preferred position. Giving 75% effort, and therefore being dropped, is not the right way to claim your place in the team.

By likelikesaddler (217.44.83.211) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 11:54 pm: Edit

I like Corica like.

The only like time like I stop using like the word like is when like yknow Corica is like on the pitch like.

Trouble is like, I then like keep using like the word nearly like.

Corica nearly beat his man, nearly managed a shot on target,nearly got into a good position, and nearly tackled someone.

True like.

By SwedishSaddler (195.67.11.210) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:16 am: Edit

I think 2-1 to Walsall....
Goals from Wrack and Leitao.

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

IMO, history tells us we need to be taking 3 points from the likes of Bournemouth if we are to finish top 2. Early days it may be, but it would be great to get to the top of the league and really get some momentum going. The feel good factor is clearly there judging by the attendance on Saturday, and we just need a few wins to really build on that.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Think your pre-judging Bournemouth a bit there Geordie, I'm fairly sure they were Top 10 last season. They've a decent little side and in Carl Fletcher they've probably one of the best midfielders in this division. He is a current Welsh international (in the squad at least) and has been subject of bids from Wigan and Cardiff for sizeable sums. Whilst if Steve Fletcher plays, we know he is hard for any centre half to handle.

I'd be more than happy with a point. Its a long way to go and its their opening home match, so they'll want to prove something and we'll have spent 4 hours in a coach.

By theotherbournemouthsaddler (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Personally id be happy with a draw. Keep on meaning to pop down to see them but that would mean less money for Walsall! They are pretty good at home and at one stage last season looked a safe bet for a play off place. Prediction is either a drab 0-0 or exciting 3-3 if Williams and taylor are on fire again. when was the last time we had players that looked so hungry? they wanted to skin their marker every time they got the ball! Hope it continues! The Sun is shining so come, on and all, to the magical town of Bournemouth!

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Well I take your point, but yes I am pre-judging Bournemouth and make no apologies for it to be honest. They were'nt good enough to get into the play-offs last year and since then have lost Feeney, their best striker. They will be neat and tidy at home as they always are, but if we want to finish top two they are a side we should be looking to beat, not draw with. I don't care if they have a couple of decent players, most sides at this level have. We have the likes of Kinsella who's a full international, Merson with God knows how many caps for England, Fryatt who's England under 18 international etc. etc. plus arguably the most explosive set of teenagers in the division. Anything can happen in 90 minutes as MR. Probert proved on Saturday. If things go against us I'll be content with a draw, but with an even break I'll be disappointed if we don't win, as to be honest I will be on most ocassions this season. A win tonight, and that's two teams from last season's top 10 we've beaten, that will send shivers down a few spines at the likes of Bristol City and Sheff Wed where its Sh!t or bust this season, and personally I'm all for that. Let them worry about us.

By Minty Williams (81.135.32.134) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

HALF TIME 1-0 to the Saddlers - Darryl Taylor

By curry monster (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

we r top of the league

By cat3 (61.10.7.15) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

2-0 now.. awesome gig!

By curry monster (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

2-0 the saddlers

By hullsaddler (213.249.216.139) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

2-2 oh dear oh dear

By curry monster (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

2-2 sh*t

By curry monster (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

2-2, 2 points given away, not 1 point gained...looks familiar....

By curry monster (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

2 points given away..the last quarter...sounds familar

By Crewe Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Courtesy of AOL sport (I wasn't there!)
Result Bournemouth 2 Walsall 2

Team:
Richard McKinney, Darren Bazeley, Neil Emblen, Julian Bennett, Kris Taylor, Darren Wrack, Paul Merson (sub 66), Daryl Taylor, Mark Kinsella, Gary Birch, Matt Fryatt (sub 79)
Subs: Mark Paston, Simon Osborn, Jorge Leitao (on 79), Leroy Williams (on 66), Joe Broad

Our scorers were Daryll Taylor(Shot) Kris Tatlor (with a header)

We had 5 shots on target against their 7 apparently.

No bookings or dismissals for either team

By Crewe Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Doh!

Our scorer was Kris Taylor...sorry for the typo

By Andy BackPass Dornan (82.37.184.104) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Didn't get to the game..... Did we miss Roper in Central Defence? Sounded like a good game....Not too convinced of this "attacking" mentality.. We only had a handful of shots...

By curry monster (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

crewe...i couldnt find any coverage..did you listen to it on aol radio??? i got the updates from sky...

By scotty (84.66.73.184) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:01 pm: Edit

It was on WM. I listened to the 2nd half. McKinney sounded very dodgy again. The commentators suggested "he should have caught / come for that one" about 4 times.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.185.140.66) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Well I would have been happy with a point before, but to chuck away a 2 goal lead is pathetic. If we want to do something in this league we need to take 3 points from matches we are winning 2-0, thats for sure.
Pretty even match according to reports and a draw was a fair result. Apparently we tired in the last 20 minutes, I find this very worrying I must admit. Perhaps PM needs to work on fitness a bit more?
Another thing. Williams on for Merson? Surely someone with experience like Broad or Osborne would have been a better bet? Experienced and cool heads for the last 25 minutes rather than a less experience player who has a lot to learn from the game?
Nevermind we are still undefeated. And playing pretty decent football.

By Ludlow Dave (81.76.49.235) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Beg to differ with the curry guy, but it is a point gained pal.
4 points from two games. Happy with that for a start.
Carry that thru to May and we have a nice 92 points, which would be nice.

By Ludlow Dave (81.76.49.235) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Didnot sound tired on the commentry I was listening to? We was still going forward...
Williams for Merson was POSITIVE. We was 2 goals up. It was designed, I assume, to show our continued attacking intent.

By concrete hippo (81.154.52.96) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

What a load of moaning gits!

Life is a rollercoaster and although i only listened to it on the radio it sounded much more fun than trying to hold onto a 1-0 lead for 53 minutes and then losing 1-2.

Although the commentators did sound concerned about McKinney.

By Me2 (82.37.33.140) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

Yep, sounded good on the radio. They werent tiring by the sounds of things. Good result that I would have taken before the match, although a tad annoying not to have taken all three.

By crewe saddler (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Curry.

No not live commentary on AOL.
just text updates every couple of minutes

Try

http://aol.sportingl ife.com/football/sco res/football_matchce ntre.auto?/opt/ASFap ache/htdocs/site/foo tball/live_match/125 845.insdat

You'll get the idea from that, at least you can find out what the team is etc.

By RedAlways (195.92.168.172) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Too Aggressive. Can not believe we have not seen Broad with Kinsella and Wrack in the middle.

Might also be worth playing Jorge up front with any two of the kids just behind to take the knock downs.

Can not complain about 5th in the league, with 5 goals in two games. Get the feeling we can do much better.

Oldham could be 3 points, if so looking forward to next home game.

Anyone heard anything more about the Brazilian?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.177) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

If its a rollercoaster can we be allowed to yell in anguish at the sudden and unexpected plunges? When Sky go for a commercial break and you're 2-0 up with about 15 minutes to go, I find it hard to feel anything but the icy chill of extreme disappointment, when in the time it takes to draw the curtains and sit back down it becomes 2-2. Yes there are plusses aplenty from the first 2 games, but I don't know where all this so called "fun" comes into it. 2-0 up and drawing 2-2? About as much fun as a kick in the taters.

And before anyone says it I DONT NEED TO LIGHTEN UP, IT JUST HURTS FOR A SHORT TIME OK???

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.69) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:47 am: Edit

I thought we played quite well for large periods, better than on Saturday, but perhaps (perhaps) we were just a bit too attack-minded after going 2 up. When Merson came off (even though he didn't appear to do all that much - apart from setting up both goals, of course) it all went pear-shaped. Leroy wasn't anything like as effective as he had been on Saturday and perhaps bringing on Broad or Osborn to shore up the midfield would have been a better option. But then, hindsight's a wonderful thing, and Bournemouth DID play very well indeed for a patch.

McKinney - OK, made a couple of mistakes, but it's harsh to blame him for either goal
Bazeley - made many good forward runs, defended resolutely - good performance
K Taylor - did very well indeed at left-back, looked like he'd played there all his life, and took his goal beautifully
Bennett - wonderful. What a find he is. I'm sure Roper will be back on Saturday but it's very hard to say he was missed
Emblen - solid as a rock - as ever
Kinsella - MOTM? Didn't put a foot wrong, made some good challenges, had a decent long range shot as well
Wrack - seemed to be everywhere, but not terribly effective
D Taylor - brilliant first half, great to see a Walsall player running past defenders with so much confidence (can't remember the last one) but faded badly in the second
Merson - several sloppy passes, caught in posession on a few occasions, but set up both goals beautifully
Fryatt - nowhere near as impressive as Saturday but still a nuisance to defend against
Birch - never looked like scoring, but won everything in the air and it's one of the best performances I've seen him give

Coming off the bench, Williams didn't do much and Leitao looked just like he always does

Before the game I'd have been happy with a point, but going 2-0 up (and playing as well as we did in between us scoring our first and them scoring their first, somewhat out of the blue) it was disappointing to only get a point. Still, Bournemouth WERE quite good, and it was good to see that even when we conceded the two goals in quick succession, we were still trying to pass the ball out of defence and not going down last season's route of just hoofing it out for it to come straight back.

Where was Standing? Just dropped?

By Geoff Whiting (81.77.158.121) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

I wasn't there so it's hard and maybe unfair to comment. I did think though that at 2-0 we should have been satisfied, and replacing a tiring Merse with Broad or Osborn, to close down and hold at 2-0, was the better option.

Leroy is explosive and exciting, but he's young and inexperienced so maybe we should reserve him for when we need to go all out for goals, as on Saturday when we'd slipped back to 1-1.

Before the game I'd have taken a point, so I'm not down-hearted, but as Geordie rightly says, when you've been 2-0 up away from home, getting only a draw does hurt a little for a while.

I hope and believe Merse will learn from this, being a little over-adventurous with the game virtually won at 2-0 was clearly an error of judgment, but he's new at this management game so I'm not too critical and I think maybe the lesson will prove to have been worthwhile.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.53) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit

Just got back and I have to admit I was happy with a point. Before the match I told my mate if we get 4 points from the next 2 away ames Id be happy, were on our way to my target.
The match itself I cant really say that we played brilliant but as merse said you cant really shine in more than 8 games a season you need to battle for points which we did tonight. Once B'Mouth brought fletcher on upfront they dominated the game. I actually thought we was going to lose it near the end.
Mckinney- Seems to always need a 2nd attempt at everything, but its too early to judge.
Bazeley- Contender for MOTM seems to be back to his best.
K.Taylor- MOTM for me every challenge he gave 110% and took his goal well.
Emblen- Solid as ever
Bennett- Agree with above, what a find didnt look out of place.
Wrack- Did plenty of running but not much to show for it.
Kinsella- Did a professional job but tired towards the end.
D.Taylor- 1st half the kid was exceptional especially the goal and that nut meg!
Merse- Was out of it again, it seems hes trying to be manager on the pitch aswell. LEAVE IT TO THE CHAPS ON THE SIDELINES MERSE. It was hilarious when walsall fans started singing "Merse for england" he started to smile at the fans.
Fryatt and Birch- Tireless running from the pair but again failed to realy threaten the keeper maybe jorge is needed away from home.
Williams seemed to o for the "wonder pass" instead of the easy option.

Just a little sugestion can people stop singing "we are going up" and just walk before we run its a marathon not a sprint just calm down a bit and when merse is playing dont ask him to wave the players need to concentrate on the game.

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

What a joke, that last sentence is!
Are we allowed to sing "Come on you reds" or "Going down the Wednesbury Road" ?
Christ, get a life.

By BABELKO (194.128.85.65) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:43 am: Edit

wf2 2uk, you state Merson was out of it? was u watching he set both goals up, need we ask more?

and as for singing we r going up its just part of the banter we have faith in our team.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.70) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:52 am: Edit

Just seen the goals on Sky, ours looked well crafted and very well taken. Theirs looked like we couldn't defend a couple of hopeful deep crosses. At the moment it sounds like we have another couple of gears to find generally, but we do need to be tougher defensively. If we can manage that improvement then we will definitely be up there, if we can't it will be frustrating because we have the ability to be a promotion side from what I've seen. Anyway, Oldham here we come. Merse said he wanted 7 points from the first 3 games, so its there to be attained.

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:25 am: Edit

I think people also need to remember that we have played the teams who finished 7th and 9th last season and got 4 points. Not bad in my opinion.
Lets get a win on Saturday to really get the confidence rolling.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

After a long drive and a late night, it was a little disappointing to see us throw the points away. Although, in all fairness, it was probably a fair result.

I have exactly the same concerns as I did after Saturday though. That being we struggled to defend crosses in from our left back area, both goals last night and Vale's first goal all stemmed from crosses or play coming in from the left and us failing to deal with it.

My other concern is that we aren't creating many chances, but fortunately we're taking what we do create. Apart from the two goals, we didn't create a real chance in the match. There were a couple of half chances, Kinsella had a good shot from 20 yards and Fryatt had a half header.

Bournemouth seemed to have done their work on us, they used the flanks a lot to take advantage of how narrow we were. When that didn't work, they brought Steve Fletcher on and he sat on the shoulders of Kris Taylor a few times to take advantage of his height, that caused problems.

I think the mistake was Merson taking himself off for Williams. We don't need to carry on attacking when we're 2 up, we need to learn to kill the game off. At least when Merson is on, he uses the ball wisely, where as Williams was a bit more careless. From the stands, the better move would have been to take Daryl Taylor off who was non-existant in the 2nd half after a superb 1st half. I'd have preferred to see Osborn & Broad come on for Merson & D Taylor.

Still, its a decent point as they were a decent side. Wade Elliott caused us problems all night, looked a very handy player.

Glad to see Birch have a superb game as well, hope he keeps that up.

Bizarre point of the night was seeing Leroy Williams and 2 mates at the petrol station of Fleet Services on the M3. Not sure why he wasn't on the team coach or going back that why, certainly comes across as a 'confident' lad shall we say.

By MR D DOFFER (213.78.32.221) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

Doffer here

Have to agree with a couple of your points STU,

I do believe a lack of mangerial experience showed tonight from our main man - Merse.

We were "coasting" shall we say and I think like us all, got wrapped up in the Leroy factor, it was an holding role we needed, either Osborn or Broad should have come on and sorry to say - not Leroy.

Birch did give 100% last night and held the ball up well and put himself about - really pleased that he showed alot more willing - keep it up ( i hope )

Ok we threw away a 2 goal lead but my other real concerns are McKinney and Bazeley.

McKinney does not control his area ( yet ), still does not confidently deal with crosses and seems likely on more than one occasion to "spill" the ball. Will he get there in time and how much time has he got?

Bazeley has never looks the quickest but he was given the runaround last night and too much was created down their left - may be nothing but let"s hope other teams don"t cotton on.

overall 4 points from 6 is acceptable, we now go to Oldham who have lost their opening 2 games - these are the games we miust win.

Well done to the couple of hundred - maybe 3 who travelled down last - keep it up.

UP THE SUPER SADDLERS

By cat3 (203.218.152.3) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Besides Merse, we need someone with inspirational leadership to take charge of the game. Losing 2 goals after Merson substituted is really poor play. Who was the captain that was in charge??? He needs to take full responsibility for slipping 2 goals in just 5 minutes of play. It's entirely unacceptable and a new inspirational captain is require to improve the standard of play during gameplay, otherwise, we will always be in trouble when Merson is not around. We probably need to name a young player as our captain after Merse. Whoever that is has to be superb on the field with great striking instinct who can support the team with counterattacking and immediate defense. This is crucial to get us back up as Champions.

By Djinn (217.37.227.193) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

All I want for Christmas is a clean sheet. Forget the "Keegan" style of footie, I wanna sing "To the Saddlers 1-0". It's only two games in and we've already conceded four goals. Yeah we've scored five I know, but all offense and no defense is a recepie for being a nearly team that has a lot of admirers but no trophies.

By cat3 (203.218.152.3) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

Furthermore, Merson should not substitute himself first to begin with. Never a player-manager substitute himself first when leading, he should realize that. He should always substitute other first. Captain should never go off the field first, it's taken away the winning inspiration and morale of our teammates. He needs to go LAST if he needs to take a breather! Pathetic managerial skill, I hope he learns from his own little error.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 11:43 am: Edit

Got to dis-agree re: Bazeley. What was wrong with Bazeley last night?

They created nothing from their left, in fact, both their goals came from down their right and crosses that were put in. I thought Baze had a fairly solid game.

In fact, on the basis of the two matches so far, he has proved he'll hold his own easily at this level as many have said all along.

By MR D DOFFER (213.78.32.221) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Doffer Here

*uck me, forgot they turned round at half -time mate.

Fair comment,

but I see you never menthioned Mckinney"s performance, is it too early to judge him or are you waiting for a 9/10 performance to comment?

cheers mate

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

I don't mention it as I don't want to tempt fate,

Kearns did wonders with Jimmy, hope he can do something with McKinney as well. He has something about him and he got some good connections on some dangerous crosses last night, but he doesn't half hesitate and seems to need to grab every ball twice.

By ANDY_vh (193.61.84.99) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:06 pm: Edit

went last night and must say i agree leroy was not the option when 2-0 up and merson goes off. I love attacking intentions but theres a time and place 70th odd min when 2-0 up not the time im affraid.

best momment of the night - d.taylor and that nut meg.

comical momment of the night - got to be mersons face when MERSON 4 ENGLAND!

looking forward to sat away at oldham now!

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.26) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

I cant remeber who said it but Williams WAS on the team coach. We got there about 6 o'clock so went tpo watch the players get off the coach and Williams was definatly on it because Jon Whitney asked him if he wanted some glasses because he kept forgeting stuff off the coach!
I know who your on about though, there was a white chap 3 black chaps and Leroys mom at the game. One of the black chaps looks the spitting image of leroy.
Kris Tayor and Wracky were taking the pee out of Leroy when his mom was by the wall and kept waving to him. I know what id do if my mom came to the window at work and waved at me!

By K J C (195.144.135.189) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

Looks like Merse will learn from this mistake, which can only be positive.

Take a look at this interview from BBC Sport:

Walsall player-boss Paul Merson admits he was wrong to substitute himself in their 2-2 draw at Bournemouth.
Merson went off after 66 minutes with the Saddlers leading 2-0, and he said: "I'll be honest, it's the first ricket I've made as a manager.

"We were so comfortable that I took myself off, but it changed the game as they thought they could push forward.

"We had a lackadaisical five-minute spell where we didn't cope and they scored two goals."

The former England midfielder added: "It's the most gutted I've been for a long time.

"But I'm very confident now that when we go away from home, we can win games, as Walsall haven't had a very good away record for the last couple of seasons.

"Bournemouth pass the ball around well, plus they've got the big lad (Steve Fletcher) up front who will win 90% of his headers when they need to chase the game.

"I felt for the second goal, we got sucked in as three players jumped with him, who were never going to beat him in the air - and it left the midfield player (Wade Elliott) free.

"But we've showed tonight that we're capable of beating anybody."

By MR D DOFFER (213.78.32.221) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Doffer here,

cheers for that K.J.C.

Great,
That summed up the game.

Totally agree with all his comments, he"s confident, there seems to be a alot more self belief in HIS team and like us all - we all make mistakes but do will learn from them ?
This Walsall Manager WILL.

As he said

"Were capable of Beating anybody"

I feel really good now, cheers for that.

By BrumSaddler (195.188.152.16) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Link to the bbc sport interview mentioned above. Merse is very honest:-
http://news.bbc.co.u k/sport1/hi/football /teams/w/walsall/355 5114.stm

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

WFC2uk, I'm not on about before the match. I'm on about mid-night at Fleet Services on the M3.

He may very well have come down with the team coach, but he didn't go back on the team coach unless he has a twin who is also called Leroy.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Stu, Leroy's family and friends were sitting in the row behind me last night. They had travelled 150 miles to see the lad play, and I suppose Merse felt it would be more beneficial for Leroy to travel home with his mates and family than travel back on a quiet team coach after such a disapointing end to the game. Added to that, I don't think Leroy can drive, which means he would need a lift back home from Bescot, surely after the man managment 'skills' of Ray Graydon and Colin Lee, the fact that Merse is nurturing the confidence of the young players, and allowing them leeway as they start their professional careers is refreshing.

I'm pleased that no one has slagged off Gary Birch. It was his finest display in a Walsall shirt since the Forest game last winter. He battled for everything, won headers, tackles and didn't look scared in the least bit. Considering the vocal treatment he has had from a sizeable minority of Saddlers fans last season, and the pre-season murmerings of his future, the fact that he held his head up high and turn in a good performance like last night shows promise. He won a number of flick-ons for the wingers Wrack and Taylor, and a quiet Fryatt. My Man of the Match.

Anyway, a pleasing for 70 minutes or so. Very positive, but we missed Roper immensely. I felt that Bennett struggled in the second half which can only be expected, the same with Darryl Taylor, who didn't really perform in the second half. Saying that though, the confidence with which he performed in the first 45 was fantastic to see.

By steelmass (194.81.215.15) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

got home at 1:30 ok match but the game was crying out for osborn kinsella still has not convinced and mr birch gave us something to aim for, and thanks to the take aways in the town for being open till next time

UTS

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.252.51) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Bristol Fan and wfc_2uk summings up of players were spot on and so are Sheff and Stu and Merson himself admits he should have a bought a midifelder on instead of Williams. In both games there is a too much of a gap between our defence and attack, in fact there was a 40-50 yard gap last night at times which means Bournemouth were picking up all the loose balls and kept coming at us. If Broad had come on this wouldn't have happened as he could have pressed. I wanted to see Williams again but he could have come on for Fryatt or Birch, not Merson. 2-0 up away from home is not the time to go more attacking to a 4-3-3!

The good thing is under Lee we'd have been 0-0 or losing 1-0 and still bought a midfielder on.

As Stu says, we are attacking but not creating quite as many chances as I'd like, luckily our finishing has been excellent.

Disappointed we threw the lead away but at least Merse is honest and recognises the fact which is excellent news. Other than that Its a pleasure to be entertained again.

Win you home games, draw away and you go up. Not many teams will take points from Bournemouth.

Its good to see more people appreciating Birch, he worked really hard last night but people just can't see it and judge him on his previous poor performances. Fryatt was quiet and was quite rightyl taken off but still people say "Get that idle b@stard Birch off" when he had worked his socks off. Birch's best games seem to be away when he doesn't have thousands of people groaning every time he makes a mistake like at Bescot.

It sounds like McKinney came in for some unfair stick on the Radio last night. Don't be too nervous, those who didn't go, if we were winning balls in midfield he wouldn't have been under so much pressure.

By walsall (80.195.91.29) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

does anyone know if that brazilian striker as turned up for trial coz i aint heard nothin for over aweek

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Jorge14, I wasn't complaining, just saying I was surprised to see him at a service station on the M3, that's all. It wasn't anything else, wasn't a slight, wasn't anything. Just saying I saw him, that's all.

MMF, can't say I share your confidence on McKinney. It doesn't matter how many balls they do or do not win, the fact is, he looked quite nervous on the vast majority of crosses. So regardless of how many balls they win, its something opposition teams will play on. Was Kearns commentating on WM? If so, I'd say as Goalie coach, he is in the right position to criticise or praise as need be.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.252.51) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

I wouldn't say I was confident! Just perhaps not as concerned as some people have said the WM commentators were. Perhaps Kearns is used to working with the quality of Wacka. If it was Kearns commentating it woun't do McKinney much good if he hears what he was saying about him. It'll hardly inspire him with confidence if his coach thinks he's dodgy.

Its odd because against the Villa, he was confident about most crosses and was coming for every one, rather than for just some (which defenders like) and was punching most of them well clear.

Perhaps Kearns has told him to try and catch more and thats why he's become a bit more nervous as he's trying to change his game.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

"Win your home games, draw away and you go up."
Thanks for that MMF, I'm so used to concentrating on getting 50 points I've no idea at all how many you need for promotion.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.252.51) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

Yep, we've become used to aiming for a point from almost every game. I can't help feeling your post was a bit sarcastic though

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

Okay Stu...apoligies! ;)

By Me2 (82.37.33.140) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

It wasnt Kearns commentating. I think they said on WM a couple of weeks back that he was spending more time coaching the keepers now - may have dreamt that bit though.

By Leamore Saddler (83.151.199.112) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I was with Mick Kearns on Tuesday and I asked him why he wasn't at Bournemouth. He replied that he had been "sacked" by the BBC as an economy measure. They have dispensed with the services of all their expert summarisers, apparently, leaving summaries and match appraisals to be done by the commentators.

So it seems that we will not be hearing Mick's dulcet tones, this season.

By cannock (62.31.216.245) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

HOORAY !

..and they used to pay him for boring the entire Midlands to sleep ?

By redordead (213.122.200.100) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 06:48 am: Edit

I would rather have Kearns then Mark "SHOUTY" Reegan.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.253.9) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

Kearns was quite funny on the commentary at times but as he was from inside the club at times the opinions were perhaps not very controversial. It seems thats gone straight out of the window if they were having a go at McKinney on Tuesday's commentary.

You'll be pleased to know that Kearns was working with McKinney yesterday in training and they were practising a lot of kicking. Paston was playing in the practice game that I was watching for 10 minutes so I don't know if this means if he'll be playing or whether McKinney had been playing earlier and they'd swapped practice techniques.

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 10:34 am: Edit

Surrey - Did you sort our transaction out mate?

By PGtips (81.134.188.148) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Daz Hale was the "expert" summariser on Tuesday. Give me Mick Kearns anyday.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 01:58 pm: Edit

Bloody Daz Hale. He used to kick me all over the park when me and my used to challenge him and his postie mates to a game years back.

Bloody dirty, fouling Dingle.

By Bruised Saddler (195.74.100.165) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

And Dave knows a thing or two about fouls I can tell you...

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Hello Alan !

Return to 2004-05 Season