Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Barnsley (h) - League - 21st August

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Barnsley (h) - League - 21st August

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:54 am

By Steve Roy (81.77.234.123) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

2-2. A bit lucky?

By aldridge steve (82.37.153.93) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Just a tad - Barnsley defended well - we didn't. It is a rare occassion that Emblem and Roper don't play well - but they didn't today. Keeper didn't have much to do, but what he did, he did OK - don't think he could have done much about the goals. He could have done without the crap back-pass at the end - which he then fluffed. Thought Fryatt did OK. Anyone know why Kinsella was subbed so early in second half - looked to be doing OK to me. I thought once we equalised the first time, we looked to be on top - then half time came, and we were pretty awful after that. Off on hols to Torquay tomorrow - lets hope the weather and the team improve furing the week!

By Puddled (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Gary Birch is ••••. Why do we continue to play him?

I thought McKinney looked better today.

Up The Saddlers

By greg (81.79.67.44) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Mckinney looked better bcus paston played today

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit

Have you not been again Sheff

I'm too annoyed to write anything about the game at the moment. I think I'll sit back and leave it to see what some of you write first.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

Straight over your head greg!

By puddled2 (82.37.153.93) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Thought Keates had a better game

By Geoff Whiting (84.65.9.200) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I thought Paston, at 6'5", could have done a lot about the second goal - preferably by not standing rooted to his goal-line and watching the free header sail past him into the net. With his height, he should surely be able to dominate his goal area, but maybe he needs to learn to be a bit braver and come out to claim the ball.

A few months with Mick Kearns might pull him into shape for crosses. Otherwise, I thought he did OK, and at least he didn't seem to spill any easy "takes" as McKinney has done several times over the previous 3 games.

The defence went AWOL for both goals, and also did the same on a few more occasions when Barnsley players were handed good opportunities to bury us - thank God they missed the target each time.

All in all a disappointing performance from us, worrying too to see us allowing Barnsley to dominate so easily. They looked like they wanted it more than us, which shouldn't happen, especially at home. Merson has to get more from the players - as I discussed with Dave Roe after the game, it seems that Merson's pre-season confidence about a top two place may have got through to some of the players, to the extent that they think they only have to turn up to win. Having got out of jail today, let's hope they quickly learn a lesson from this performance.

Excellent free-kick from Wrack to pull the rabbit out of the hat at the end - thank God! Good perseverance too from the same player to set up the first for Fryatt.

Wracky would have got MoM for me for his persistence, hard work, one assist and one great free kick - don't quite know why Jorge got it from the sponsors.

Word on the Ref, a bit too fussy at times, pulled play back inexplicably a few times when obvious advantages were there for all to see, but at least he showed common sense with the card situation and was infinitely better than Lee Probert on Day 1.

By Smelly Hand (172.189.148.102) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Second half was a complete shambles, does any one know what formation we were playing (it looked like 4 - 0 - 6)?

Bazeley was left exposed but was also very poor, defence didn't seem to be interested in marking anyone.

We didn't have any controlled possession at all, no decent build up play

Bit like watching one of Big Fat Jan's teams but without the organisation.

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Not the same team without Merson. No guile today. Their left back was man of the match for me. And I've seen Keatesy play better.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

BFJ was mentioned more than once near us today!

And I agree with all of that smelly hand assuming you are referring to the controlled possession and build up play in the second half only. First half we had a few decent moments then Jorge turned into Gary Birch in the second half but without the stick. Fryatt wasn't much better in the second half either but I think he was carrying that knock for most of the second half so can be excused.

By snipzimmer (81.156.167.191) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that Paston should have come out and claimed the ball from the corner that led to the second Tykes goal.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

This was was the first match I had been too due to Holidays abroad, same sitting on the edge of my seat, heart racing, shouting and deafening the guy next to me, glad we managed to grab 1 point, makes a change for us to salvage something in the last minute.
Have to say believe it or not I would of given Roper MOM instead of Jorge, we did miss Merse, shocked he wasn't even on the bench. Barnsley's number 2 Bobby Hassell played a blinder for them, if only we had a defender like that!
I thought Paston played well, the more the game went on the more confidence I had in him.
At least we did more attacking than I have seen in a while.
Lets hope we can get a few wins under our belt.

By Jolly Johnny (82.36.183.62) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

We got out of jail big style!! For some reason I am feeling really frustrated tonight, more so than after walking away from Boundary park last saturday. I'll try to explain why I think this!

Paston did okay - had a few bounces right in front of him which he did well with but is obviously VERY right footed as we saw with the 'outside of the foot merse style pass' he spooned straight to their player at one point!

Defence poor again really, although Ropes and Emblen did give key tackles at times. We couldn't cope with pace again up front and their wingers had too much room. We seem to find it hard to head out of defence. Carbon showed us how to do this and headed it to one of his players whereas we continually head it with hardly any distance and straight to their midfield, keeping the pressure on us still.

Daryl Taylor was never in the game today and when their left back came forward or the ball was spread to the left, where was he? He needs to cover more as a right midfielder and help Bazeley, who didn't have a good one again today.
Generally we didn't have a presence in midfield which is strange as we supposedly have so many good players there. Kinsella had his best game I've seen for us, but we never dominated it. Standing was alright when we came on, but I'll be keen to see how Broad does at SW midweek in the cup.

Maybe the most worrying thing today was we didn't seem to really want it, as someone above said. We were second to a lot of balls and muscled out too easily in tackles and 50-50s, although I will concede Barnsley are a bigger, more physical side than us. I also noticed we were VERY quiet on the pitch. NO ONE was the voice - Emblen as captain, Ozzie, Kinsella didn't take leadership and we just didn't talk to each other, hence we lost the ball a lot and played passes to the wrong place. At times we played like a very niaive youth team with few ideas. Maybe we have TOO MANY kids on the pitch and are relying on them already too much?

Anyway, I must stop griping as I'll become one of those fans who'll love to pick holes whatever (!) I am glad we got the point (barely deserved) and wrack's goal was great. We were okay in 1st half - I'll forget the second half - maybe we shouldn't come out so soon after halftime, as both today and last week we were out a lot earlier than opposition and see what happened to us both times?!

Finally (I promise!) I heard merse interview and he said he tells the players they are the best players in the division, they only have to believe it. Couldn't believe such a bold statement - after what's been seen after 4 games there are a lot of better players in this division than ours and we have to improve as we will finish just above half way at the moment I feel. Someone on the phone in queried what Kris Taylor had done wrong to lose hs place and another said Aranalde should come back - I would agree with both of these feelings - let's see what happens wednesday night!

Phew...

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Got to disagree about Paston being responsible for either goal. Geoff, that bloke had a free header from point blank distance at 6 yards? Not even somebody with split second reactions would have saved that. And I don't think it can be said that he should have come for it, it was a centre halves ball except ours had feet nailed to the floor. I thought he looked quite sound and far safer than McKinney.

As for the rest, well, I have to say it. If anyone out there can tell me that watching this is any better than watching Lee by the end of his reign, could I have a reason why? And don't say coz we score goals, coz we leak goals even more.

We have not had a good performance yet and today was the worst of the lot. Moving to sit in the Purple Upper gives a right different view and it shows up our lack of apparent organisation, shape and discipline. We played like a bunch of headless chickens with two centre halves who looked like they'd never met each other and no creativity or zest.

Bazeley and Bennett were both poor, once again exposed time after time to facing two players against them. I still don't know why Baze gets singled out for so much stick, he didn't give the ball away or get exposed more than anyone else. At one point, he got slated for backing off a running Shuker, only a fool would have dived in. Then Roper and Emblen dived in and he beat them easily, but nothing was said.

Emblen and Roper were embarrasing and given the run around by a bloke who spent last year playing for Darlington.

Taylor looked like a kid today, he didn't do anything. Virtually anonymous, and what on earth was Merson doing using him as a wingback when we went to a back 3. Wrack was anonymous and that fantastic goal just papers over the cracks that are he is yet to perform.

Kinsella was very good, presume he was injured as I saw no other reason for taking him off. Ossie was nice and tidy again.

Jorge did his usual running around but without any real output, didn't think he was man of the match.

Leroy Williams did his best impression at a headless chicken running up blind alleys, Atieno made no impact whatsoever.

Apparently Merson reckons that he learnt a few more things today about how we can and can't play. Excuse me, but we're 4 games into the season, was pre-season not enough?

Until we got to 4-4-2 we won't go anywhere in my opinion. If he wants to stick at this 4-3-1-2- then he has to play himself or Corica in the whole and buy a new right back as Baze can't cope with 2 on 1, mind you, not many will.

Quite a shambles at the moment and we look not much more than a mid-table side.

Torquay away is a MUST 3 points.

By Jolly Johnny (82.36.183.62) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Just want to add two more things (!)

1) We missed Merse's creativity today and, at home, he should start I feel.

2) I thought the attendance was a bit poor today considering Barnsley are a 'biggish' team for this league and are one of the bookies faves for promotion. Maybe holiday season is still having an affect!

By Puddled (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I must say that today saw a typical Corica performance. He just didn't get a kick. I'm gutted for the bloke.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Completely agree with you Stu, you saved me a lot of time and thinking there mate.

Roper was nowhere near Conlon for the second goal. He would have run through a brick wall to win that header not so long ago. I was more impressed with Paston than in pre season and I don't think he was at fault for either goal although he wasn't tested often.

Walsall Supporter - I am a big Ropes fan but no way was he man of the match today, he was all over the place. It seems to me that Roper and Emblen are stretching themselves to much to try and do the full backs work as well because Bazeley didn't want to do anything defensively today and Bennett doesn't look comfortable at left back to me. He gets to the half way line then stops instead of overlapping with the midfielders to turn defence into attack. At least Zigor can do this.

Last week I had sympathy for the defence because midfield wasn't helping in the slightest but whether midfield were helping or not today the defence was still awful.

I'm still not panicking akthough if we carry on like this its not a coincidence we're making the same mistakes. Like Jolly Johnny I'm more annoyed after this than last week at Oldham because at least we tried to get forward last week. Today's second half we did almost nothing at all.

The saving grace is that we have lost only one of the games but we must start winning straight away.

By segders (62.31.219.236) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

The second half today was just not acceptable,barnsley came out fighting and we didnt.i can understand merson resting himself but he should have been on the bench as he can truly turn a game round.leroy looked well out of his depth today compared to port vale and taylor wasnt very effective as he never beat their full backs once.bennett looks good but he needs to get forward more and get some crosses in like kris taylor did in pre season and away to bournemouth.bazeley needs putting down we should have let him bugger off to kiwi land and try to get baird back on season long loan.kinsella went off due to a vision problem i sit by the dug outs and saw him tell them his eyes were not right.do not agree with the blame paston has been gettin as conlon should not have won the header i thought he looked comfortable and handled well.all in all a very disgruntled fan who like the rest had high hopes for this season up till 72 minutes against bournemouth since then we have look somewhat wet behind the hears.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

A fairly entertaining game for the neutral I would have thought, plenty of decent football being played.

Why are people only just noticing that Taylor doesn't do much? Like Williams, is only ready at the moment to come on in the second half. He was too easily beaten in the air and in the tackle, and surely Merse must realise that whilst the kids are fine to an extent, but we don't have enough presence.

Taiwo won our only headers in attack all day when he came on. I thought Sicknote had a cracking game, and was only beaten once by some clever play by Jorge in the first half. Ironically, I thought it was a day for Birchy today as well as the game wore on. Throwing in a bit of height and strength a bit earlier could have tipped the balance.

On Jorge, I thought his first 45 was very impressive, the running he did contributed, rather than just mimicking a headless chicken. Unfortunately, second half he reverted to the typical Jorge display. Gives his all, and once he hits the back of the net, I'm sure that he will bag.

Fryatt is a good, old-fashioned poacher. Didn't see much of Fryatt today, but whilst Daryl always disappears, Matty always carries on battled, despite the Barnsley centre backs really having a very good game.

I am concerned that we are too lightweight. I thought it was the wrong decision to bring Kinsella off, unless he had a knock, as I don't think Ozzie was up to speed this afternoon, he did look significantly off the pace. But in midfield, the lads are brushed off the ball much too easily.

Bazeley baffles me. He was one of our best players in 02-03, he looked top class. But since then, Baze is a totally different player. He didn't look like a 2nd Division player today, let alone a supposed 1st Division right back. Will always struggle when he has Darryl Taylor infront of him because Taylor has no sense of Defensive play, and is too weak at the moment to make a significant presense in midfield. Not a criticism of the lad, its just the reality. I think Bazeley really needs to take a good long look at himself, because he should walk this division, like Osborn, Kinsella, Roper, Emblen, Zigor, Corica, Jorge and Merse should!

Thought that whilst Merse was right to drop himself from the first 11, to leave himself out of the squad was a gamble. Maybe he has a knock or is knackered, but we could have used a bit of inspiration with 25-30 minutes to go.

I thought Leroy looked selfish when he came on this afternoon. Obviously, its always good to have a selfish player in the box, something we lacked last season, but when you are 30 yards from goal and your strike parter (Jorge) has just peeled off his marker, you should be looking to thread the ball through to him, not a hit a weak effort straight at the keeper. With experience, and a dose of reality that he isn't going to change the game everytime he plays, his awareness of his teammates should improve.

Cracking free-kick from Wracky on what was an afternoon that was made it too easy to focus on the negatives. I'd rather have off days now that when the season reaches boiling point.

No need to panic, its not even September yet!

By karen jones (195.92.168.179) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Yet again i say get Kris Taylor in the game.Apparently he played centre midfield and scored for the reserves and put in a better performance than standing and yethe was not even on the bench today.He is a better left back,centre midfield or left midfield player than what was on show today.

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

He didn't give that impression at Bournemouth... And he isn't better than either Ossie or Kinsella or Wrack and he doesn't have the pace or ability to beat a man that Taylor has, so thats possibly midfield ruled out.

Potentially good player, but not as great as you seem to think he currently is.

If he isn't in the team, there is a reason.

By Geoff Whiting (81.77.78.80) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:01 am: Edit

Reason is, apparently, Merson wants Kris Taylor to play left back, but Kris doesn't want to, instead he wants a left-sided midfield position. So it looks like a stalemate for now.

I still believe a 6'5" keeper should be capable of taking the ball in the 6 yard box most times, and that's the distance Conlan scored from.

I already said above that the defence went AWOL for both goals so they take a fair share of the blame, but sorry, a 6'5" keeper must NOT stand on his line and do nothing. He has to take some responsibility to get to the ball first if his defenders don't react to a cross into the 6 yard box.

Having said that, I liked what I saw from Paston a lot more today than in pre-season, so he should get an extended run over the next few games and hopefully the defence will get together more as a unit, we can stop leaking goals, and his confidence will rise.

By near post header (80.47.209.153) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

We were crap today! We didnt deserve a point and I almost felt for the Barnsley fans when Wracky scored. Merson has got to stop "shoe horning" youth into the squad. He's playing youngsters for the sake of it and it aint working. Zigor back, Dankinah (unsure of correct spelling) for right back, Standing to start. Why didnt birch come on at the end? We were playing long ball and he knew the defenders better than anyone after his loan spell.

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

Good point about the loan spell nph.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 08:42 am: Edit

NPH, I wouldn't say we were crap, and I think we deserved the point, and to say you almost felt sorry for the Barnsley fans! well, how many times has that happened to us at the death, I felt it was pay back time for a change.
AS I have already said, to me it was the same as I am used to watching, but with the ball going forward a tad more.
on wards and upwards!! BRING BACK ZIGOR!!

By Jolly Johnny (82.36.183.62) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

Got to agree with you Stu about your Colin Lee comment above. I was gonna put it in my long post above but wasn't sure of the reaction I'd get!!

Geoff, I agree about Paston. He only claimed one ball all afternoon in his box, while Coglan looked quite commanding in his box. There were a number of times where he stayed rooted to his line when he could/should have come out.

I also agree with Stu about Wrack. He didn't do a lot all game and needs to get more involved as he is one of our experienced players and help show these kids how to be part of the team / game.

Kinsella did go off with vision problems. I saw Merse turn and indicate to someone behind the dugout as he ran off.

Jorge, you're right about Bazeley, he needs more support down the right hand side. This would not only help him in defence but, dare I say it, going forward as well, which neither he or Bennett are doing. I can't remember more than 4 crosses all game from our right or left sided players.

I know Corica is 'injured' at the moment but if Merse isn't playing himself he should be on the bench at least because he is the only other one with decent creative ideas.

I would like to see Zigor or Kris Taylor at left back with possibly Bennett moved in the middle. If Ropes / Rhino are injured or suspended it'll be interesting to see if this happens. Bennett might have more pace to cope with attackers runs, although he is quite short for a centre half.

By Cal's a saddler (213.122.236.208) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:57 am: Edit

Yes we were lucky to escape with the point but I'm not complaining!

How can you not see why Bazeley is critised so much he was dreadful!! Even Merse must have spotted this aswell seeing he took him off without having adequate cover for his position. We need to find someone else for his position because he doesnt deserve to pick up his pay check for that performance! He has to remember he's a defender and do his job defend and not stand there expecting others to cover for him!!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

Not that bad? NOT THAT BAD? We were sh*te for most of the game and looked more like relegation material in the second half once Kinsella went off. No shape to the team, no focus to the play, no one seeming to know who they were supposed to marking at set pieces and ridiculous team selection and subs. What was supposed to happen yesterday if Emblen or Roper had had to go off?
Merson says he'll learn from his mistakes, so he'd better start quickly. Stu, that comment "We have not had a good performance yet and today was the worst of the lot. Moving to sit in the Purple Upper gives a right different view and it shows up our lack of apparent organisation, shape and discipline. We played like a bunch of headless chickens with two centre halves who looked like they'd never met each other and no creativity or zest" I couldn't agree more with. You can't keep playing as 11 individuals.

By Dave Roe (81.131.44.52) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

Total crap yesterday I'm afraid. Didn't deserve the point (although I'm obviously glad we did get it).

Firstly an apology to Wrack, after I said "if Wrack hits it, it will end up in West Bromwich". Mind you, I did get very concerned when it looked like Osbourn was going to hit it.

Our midfield is the big problem. There is no one who gets stuck in and controls the game. I had a close lookk at Osbourn yesterday, trying to see something in his game that other see. Unfortunately I still can't get excited. What exactly is he supposed to bring to the team ? 'cause appart from a dazzling array of 3 yard passes and wonderful "jockeying" (without actaully getting a tackle in, then I'm afraid I can't see much else to his game.

Fryatt is definitely going to be a "Wayne Clarke" type of player in that you don't see him for 89 minutes of the game but he'll just pop up and get a goal.

I think Paston should have collected the cross for their second goal. He just stood on his line, frozen.

I'm sorry Merse, but your prediction of a top 2 finish is way off beam at the moment.

By Fensaddler (82.37.168.157) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Much like me, Dave Roe - as Wracky went to take the kick, my words were 'this has the potential to be very disappointing' - but very glad I was wrong.

First time I've seen them play this season due to holidays, so I've little comparison to go on, but Taylor looked disappointingly lightweight, and not the ball of fire winger I had imagined. My reading of the game was this - I agree with many above that Barnsley appeared to 'want it more', and I think that the battle was lost in midfield, exposing the defence too often with inevitable results. Thought Roper did more right than wrong, and he was having to get through a lot of work to cover for the inedequacies of others. I said just after we were relegated that the player we needed back was Keates, and we really missed a player like him today - a tough little beggar in midfield scrapping for everything. Noticed that Jorge was most effective when he got his shoulders into his marker.

There is talent in the side, but we have got to scrap more in this division - Conlon was an evil bar steward, but very effective, and we had no one like him on the pitch.

Paston looked fine today - don't think he can take much blame for either goal - and on his brief showing Atieno looks useful. However, agreed with many that at present we look a mid table side at best.

Finally, tried the Lower Purple today - far better atmosphere, and far friendlier than up top.

By Paul Lowe (213.78.59.132) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Stu, "Ossie was nice and tidy again." By "nice and tidy" what exactly do you mean?

This man is devoid of talent. Can't tackle, no pace, can't beat a man, can't head a ball. is utterly unable to pass a ball more than six feet, and, just as he was last season, is already a complete liability. And it's no suprise to me that our worst performance of the season (and yes, I haven't missed one yet) coincides with that waste of spunk worming his way back into the team. "Nice and tidy" my arse. Open your eyes for christ sake.

By Puddled (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

My sources at Walsall tell me that a certain Mike Cecere has been giving our forwards lessons how to jump and challenge for the ball.

Cecere perfected the art of jumping without wanting to win the ball.

I'm glad that Merse is trying to boost team spirit by recruiting a joka like Cess.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Interested to read that Taylor was annonymous without Merson in the team. I'm not suprised about this. Its all very well saying you can't play them both in the same team, from what I've seen there's little point in playing one without the other. Merson needs someone with pace, Taylor needs someone who can pass the ball. Bazeley poor again eh, I'm shocked!

By Stu (195.92.67.75) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Paul, if your right, then are you not worried that our manager not only wants him as player coach but also rates him. Just because he doesn't run around like a headless chicken doesn't mean he is crap.

He was one of the few players who actually kept possession, but if he has nobody to pass to, then what do you want him to do.

Instead of slating him because its popular, actually watch him. He seemed to be the only player on our team yesterday who wanted the ball, everyone else treated it like a hot potato. Unfortunately, when your only options are hiding then you really can't do much with it.

Did you see the perfect dink over the top from the free kick for our 1st goal? Quite good vision don't you think? Or was it just lucky?

But, I'll take your view as being right and our manager must be a fool to include such a player in his team, let alone appoint him player coach.

Silly me.

By near post header (80.47.209.212) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 03:34 pm: Edit

Personally I think you cant play kinsella and ozzy together as thier both too sameish. Holders of the ball, "engine room" types if you will. Im fast becoming a Standing advocat, box to box, two decent feet and looks pacy and capable of beating a man. Still think change both full backs (Koffi and Zigor to come in.) I mean why does Merse say Zigors "back to his best" and then leave him out of the 16 man squad? That vexes me if Im honest and seems to indicate he may not be in his plans.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Geordie, Taylor was anonymous with Merson in the team! He just isn't ready to start games yet at this stage of his career, simple as that. Like Leroy is best used coming off the bench, I think that that is Taylor's role at least until Christmas time. He also needs to bulk up a little, he is knocked off the ball too easily, and his weaknesses were highlighted by Barnsley's fullbacks, Taylor couldn't beat them with his "Ronaldo" tricks, and didn't have a plan b.

However, coming on with 20 minutes to go against those same full backs, Darryl could have had a much better day.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I think thats a bit harsh on Taylor Jorge. He was anonymous yesterday correct. That will happen with young players. He went quiet at Oldham when he was asked to play as wing back. He hasn't got enough defensive qualities to play as a wing back. He may fade out of games at times but like Merse when he is good he can win us games and that was the kind of player we lacked last season. I agree though at the moment he may be better coming on as sub.

Stu I have been calling for Osborn to play all week because he impressed me when he came on at Oldham but yesterday he played like he did too often last season. He didn't pass well at times yesterday and I did watch him closely. Just because there isn't a pass on doesn't mean you have to pass it to the opposition. You hold the ball, shield it and wait for a run. If a run isn't made you sometimes have to play backwards to keep possession.

He has his place in the team but I think he'd be more effective away from home.

By Paul Lowe (213.78.59.132) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

No, Stu, don't mark yourself down as silly, unless you're seriously offering that up as a self critique. I'm simply presenting a fact, and the fact is the man is simply no good. And if that means that Merson is wrong, then Merson is wrong. In fact I'll further qualify my statement by saying that Osborn's all round inability to do anything of any use at anytime contributed more to our relegation last season than anything Colin Lee did to bring it about, and don't give me the old "but he had a bad foot" excuse because it simply won't wash. (the excuse, not his foot.) Osborn is about as constructive as a box full of broken Lego...not very.

By Stu (195.92.67.76) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

No, your not presenting a fact. Your presenting an opinion that is dis-agreed by people who have far more knowledge of the game than yourself and I.

So its just your opinion. I happen to disagree.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.78) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

After a weekend in the Midlands, only just got home, I suppose I haven't got much to add to what has been written already. But I'll say what I think anyway. Very poor yesterday, we got out of jail. In general we seemed to fix the problems in midfield (D Taylor, though, needs a rest for a couple of days) but created new ones in defence - not through a problem with Merson, but individual errors. Emblen and Roper were missing things they would have got easily last season, which is a worry. Roper's passing was more woeful than usual. Bennett seems quite good - still not convinced he brings more than Aranalde would - but he seemed a lot more than "quite good" when he played centre-back at Bournemouth, and I wonder whether that's his natural position. Problem is that Emblen and Roper, however many mistakes they made yesterday, seem unlikely to be dropped, so for Bennett to be in the team it has to be at LB. Bit confused by Kinsella going off, assume he was injured, and I think Merse made a big mistake dropping himself. If he wants a look from the sidelines, he should do it away.

Paston - OK - no real howlers but a better keeper would have prevented both goals (and we've had better keepers even when in Div 3 so I don't know why we find it so hard to get one now) - GK position still has to be a massive worry.

Bazeley - oh dear oh dear - but what other options do we have? Wright? Never done it for me. Wrack isn't a real right back. Never seen Dakinah so can't comment.
Bennett - as said above, think he'd be a better centre back, but he was the pick of our defenders anyway (mind you, my gran would probably have been the pick of our defenders)
Emblen - uncharacteristically poor, beaten to far too many things, seemed very nervous for some reason
Roper - one of his off days

Kinsella - did his job in the first half, rather odd that he went off
Osborn - no idea why he gets stick, thought he wa MOM yesterday, organised things well, did his job in midfield (far better when Kinsella was alongside him, admittedly), gets stuck in, takes pressure off the defence - exactly what has been needed all season
Wrack - anonymous yet again, till his wonder goal - most disappointing player of the season in terms of not doing what we know he can do
D Taylor - time for a rest - did nothing at all, may as well have not been there

Leitao - worked hard, should have scored at least once, but he needs a goal badly
Fryatt - he'll score a hatful this season

Subs - Standing was very good I thought, far better than against Vale, and I'd play him instead of D Taylor; Williams was a waste of time, as he has been every time since Vale - he needs some real coaching before he's ready - bring him on when we're winning the game and he can do his tricks with confidence, not when we're chasing a game against a half-decent team; Atieno - did he even touch the ball? The wrong player to bring on

I'm all for giving the kids a go, but it has to be controlled. Putting several of them in the team and filling the bench with them isn't the way to do it. Apart from Fryatt, obviously, who may not count, Julian Bennett has been the one who has performed most consistently; Daryl Taylor looks great, but I think he needs to be used more sparingly than he is being - bring him on for Merson after 60 minutes rather than starting him, I would think.

Guess we'll have virtually a reserve team at Sheff Wed which is fine - let's see them stake their claim. I'd make a few changes at Torquay, but given their results so far, I think if we attack them like we did Bournemouth, they'll fold. They'll be the weakest team we've faced so far and we should win. Next Monday is a massive game - Swindon are likely to be there or there abouts, and we need some tactical nous to beat them. It's nice to hear Merse say "let's let other teams worry about us for a change, instead of us worrying about them" and it's a great contrast with our previous manager, but with the way we've been playing, it's obvious that we need to adapt. Paul Hart had obviously had us watched quite closely and he took Taylor out of the game and got his players to attack Bazeley all the time - and it worked for them. And, let's face it, we'll be playing far better teams than Barnsley this season. We've got to improve a lot.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

I'm not sure about that Bristol Barnsley were one of the favourites for top 6. They're about to take Michael Chopra on loan for the season and Nardiello form Man Utd was injured yesterday.

I don't think we'll be playing the reserves at Sheff Wed either. According to Merse he wants to progress in the competition to raise funds for team building.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.208) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Taylor was annonymous with Merson in the team? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this board. How can you be annonymous if you score a goal in every game? I can't think of a least annonymous thing than scoring a goal. Even if there's no match report or whatever your name goes in the paper and the record books - "so and so today affected this game in this minute" what's annonymous about that? Jorge, and several others in your over analysis of performance and whatever else, forget what a simple game this really is, scoring is the object of the exercise if your a forward or creative player.

By SaddlerJ (82.37.169.109) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

"Osborn - no idea why he gets stick, thought he wa MOM yesterday, organised things well, did his job in midfield (far better when Kinsella was alongside him, admittedly), gets stuck in, takes pressure off the defence - exactly what has been needed all season"

What match were you at? He didn't find a red shirt all afternoon, his tackling was eitehr poor or reckless, he floats his crosses so that on the odd occasion they ever beat the defenders even Sherear wouldn't be able to get enough power on the ball to trouble the keeper, he breaks down all attacks with his 2 yard passes and generally seems disinterested.

Taylor looked like a lost little lad, at one stage with nowt on insted of turning back and finding a man, he just went running into 4 players, he's only young and will learn with time but we can't rely on players with so little experince, he's a player like has been mentioned above who can come off the bench and make himself a hero.

Good effort from Jorge and Wrack, Baze was toss

By Geoff Whiting (81.79.181.149) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Lots of different opinions on various players, which is the norm when we put in a disappointing performance. I guess that's what makes the game so interesting, we all see lots of things so differently which leaves so many talking (arguing) points.

Osborn & Wrack seem to have come in for a lot of comment - personally I thought they both did quite well yesterday, Osborn worked very hard but he isn't a creative midfielder so we shouldn't expect that from him or criticise him for that I guess. He did (I think) provide the through pass (free kick?) from which Wrack created Fryatt's goal-scoring opportunity, so he can hardly be said not to have contributed anything. Wrack got through a shed-load of work, chased down that Osborn pass to provide Fryatt with an easy goal, and scored a stunner to rescue a point. If those contributions alone don't make his place in the team worthwhile, well I don't know what does. Wrack was MoM for me yesterday.

Paston looked a lot steadier than McKinney, though I would like to see him come out to crosses and use that 6'5" (plus the length of his arms) to greater effect - height is after all his greatest asset. He should dominate the 6-yard box and I want to see him do that. I doubt if Mick Kearns has missed the point and hopefully this will be the main thrust of his coaching work.

Both Daryl Taylor and Leroy Williams should still be coming off the bench with 30 minutes to go to use their pace to greatest effect against tiring defenders. OK maybe the occasional start, but I don't believe they are yet ready to start games too often, if at all. Games like yesterday will do DT's self-confidence no good at all.

I think Merson dropped a clanger leaving himself out. He MUST start at home, if he wants to rest himself then he should sit out away games and leave younger legs to do the extra running and defending that we are likely to have to do away from home.

I'd like to see Joe Broad given a game in midfield, he was the pick of the bunch in pre-season and I just wonder what he's done, hasn't even made the bench so far has he?

I like Bennett but think Zigor should be given a start now, especially for the left-sided attacking options that he brings to our game.

Bazeley, don't know, he had a poor game again, but he has little cover either on or off the pitch. Can Dakinah play right back? If so, I'd put him in there because Bazeley's confidence can't be high right now.

Up front I'd stay with Jorge (for work rate) and Matty (for goals) for the forthcoming games.

Roper and Emblen - no competition really - they virtually pick themselves and I think that's OK with me.

By Stu (195.92.67.78) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

saddlerj, the reason you 'think' he lost more tackles and gave away more possession was because he doesn't go hiding like the rest of our lot did yesterday, Kinsella excepted.

Law of averages will say if you touch the ball 100 times, your going to give it away a hell of a lot more than a bloke who only touches the ball 10 times. However, that bloke that only touches it 10 times is the one thats taking the ••••.

Oh, and as for his crosses that are 'floated'. Has it not come to you that this is done on purpose? Do you not think we practise that on the training ground?

If you want to slate him for that, then at least criticise the person instructing him to do that.

Oh, and just for the record, how was our 1st goal scored yesterday? Oh yes, it was that quick vision and alertness from Osborn who floated a cross over the top of the defence for Wrack to get onto!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.190.130.229) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Stu - Just give up on these people who do not like Osborn. You will not be able to change their minds on it, I gave up a long time ago on this subject.
As you rightly point out, Osborn never hides. He his part of the back room staff, so is obviously rated by all people within the club from the owner to the manager.
Strange that such experienced people within the game rate him, yet people like SaddlerJ and Paul Lowe dont. Who do you believe have got it correct I wonder....

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.208) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Wise words indeed from Stu.

I have to admit that yesterday worried me a bit really. We were pretty good in the first half and could and should have scored more, but by the same token we looked even shakier at the back than we have before, and had Barnsley been a bit sharper then they also could have scored more.

Merse seems to be learning from his mistakes, but unnecessarily making new ones. Shore up the midfield with Osborn - great. Leave himself out in a home match against a reasonable team - not so great. Once those new ones disappear, we'll be a force to reckon with. I thought before the season that auto promotion was a big ask but play-offs should be achievable, and I still think that. Cut out the individual mistakes at the back, a bit of training from Mick K for the keepers, we can keep the same formation and largely the same personnel and win a lot of games. I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater and switch to 4-4-2 - it means we can't play Merson, who's probably the best creative player in the division, and we don't have a natural for the left wing. Stick with what we're doing, it will come good. Away from home, put maybe Standing or (when he's fit) Corica into the Merson role and leave PM on the bench for if/when he's needed. Sort out the goalkeeping problems (I must admit, if it hadn't been for all the talk on the messageboards about him beforehand, I'm not sure I would still see it as a problem based purely on Paston's performance yesterday) and individual mistakes made by Emblen/Roper and particularly Bazeley, we can stop conceding and keep on scoring.

By Dave Roe (81.131.143.7) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

It all depends on the percentages, Stu. If someone touches the ball 10 times and only loses it twice it's a lot better than somebody touching it 100 times and losing it 30 times.

Osbourn is more like Peter Pan's shadow than a tackler, he skips around about two feet away from the player with the ball, but very rarely actually get's stuck in and tackles.

Wrack MoM, Geoff ??? Surely not ? Based on playing to their full ability I think Wrack was way down. IMHO he only played to about 60% of his potential.

Did anyone watch the blinfolded competition at half time ? I thought the Second Half had started early

By Jolly Johnny (82.36.183.62) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I have to confess that competition confused me as much as our second half performance. I came back from the karzie to see 4 people with big scarfs over their heads being lead around the pitch by pretty girls wearing promotional clothing and completely inappropriate footwear for a soft football pitch, while swifty followed them round trying to trip them up!! Plus there was someone on the microphone occasionally shouting "ooo you were so close then" as well as declaring several times "if no-one wins it me and swifty are off to ibiza for a week"....very funny, ha ha ha indeed.

What was it they were trying to find on the pitch, as I couldn't see anything? (I knew it was £1000, but where was it?)

It was so comical, even the Barnsley subs stopped warming up to watch and have a laugh!

One poor guy ended up down the away end and was almost in with their fans - surely he should have been sent off if he left the field of play!!!

By Geoff Whiting (81.77.124.62) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

So who was MoM then Dave? Jorge got it from the sponsors - but I really don't think so!

I doubt if anyone could seriously claim to have played to their full potential, but we drew a game 2-2 and apart from working very hard, Wrack made a tap in for Fryatt by being the only player alert enough to spot an opportunity from Osborn's free-kick and to chase it to the bye-line, and he scored with a free kick which, had it been from the boot of Beckham, would have been replayed ad nauseam on Sky on Sunday morning. So, but for Wrack, the game would have been lost - I think that's a fair summing-up.

But as I said earlier "What does he have to do to satisfy some people?"

If not Wrack, MoM was whom then - and why?

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:56 am: Edit

I'm sorry, Geoff, but you are wrong. The reason there are so many different opinions about different players is that the problem is nothing to do with them. It's lack of organisation, focus, shape or any point to the team at all. I'll repeat, look at the set piece organisation on Saturday. There wasn't any.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 09:03 am: Edit

Jolly Johnny, they were trying to find A Nationwide Football "Disc" which was lying on the floor, the one guy must of missed it by inches about 4 times, and the lady who was blindfolded nearly got there before the 3 mins were up.
It certainly brigthened up the half time as I was finding it hilarous watching them.

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

Is the Merson honeymoon period over already?
We cant have people being negative can we? We are playing attacking football thats what matters.

By nravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

You mean the old "I'd rather see us lose 4 - 3 than 1 -0" tripe? I'd far rather see us bloody well win and I don't give a toss how boring it is. There is only one reason for being in this division - to get out of it.

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Absolutely spot on Neil. I think lots of people got blazae about the success we have had in recent years. A couple more months of this and we'll be struggling in the bottom half of the league in front of 4,200 baying for a boring 1-0 win to keep us out of trouble. Great if everything suddenly comes good for no apparent reason, but why will it based on what we've seen so far?

I think If you look at the teams that get promotion out of this league the one most common denominator is that they are defensively well organised. They tend to be effective rather than attractive, witness the Graydon era. Teams with prolific goascorers do get relegated, it happened to us (twice) with Stuart Rimmer in the team, and it happened to Notts County last season.

To me Saturday is a massive game for us, anything but a win against a team that's been stuffed in their two home games todate and the signs will be ominous.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

Well, this won't make me very popular, but if I were Bonsor, I'd be thinking "How many games can I afford to give him to learn from his mistakes?". Another dozen games like this and we'll be already condemned to another season in this Division.

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:13 pm: Edit

I just fail to see what we're learning to be honest. We already knew that Birch and Bazeley were cr@p, so fair do's they've had a run at the lower level, and it hasn't made any difference. We know from pre-season that Merson needs pace in the team to be effective, and that means we can't play 4-4-2. All of that really we knew from last season. If we really have abandoned any hope of playing the logical 3-5-2 that enables us to utilise Merson, purely on the strength of the first pre-season friendly we played that I find that incredulous.
The big problem I have so far is that I don't think any of the 4 teams we've played will be in the top 6 come the end of the season. Even with the minimum requisite defensive organisation and goalkeeping skill, we should have 9-10 points on the board.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

And what's worse, if Bazeley is shot and we can't play 3 5 2, our only options at right back are either yet another 18 year old, or an untried Dane who ain't match fit for this league yet, or a midfielder filling in.
He needs to start learning fast and stop playing about with my football club. In defence, his aquisition of every attacking midfielder and forward he could lay his hands on has left us totally bereft of any cover. Anyone notice what a solid game Carbon had on Saturday?

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

Geordie, I'm not criticising Taylor, and I'm not actually criticising Taylor's performances in the halves he scored in!

In the first half at Bournemouth he was outstanding, scored a goal and ran their left back ragged. In the first half at Oldham he was pretty good again. Made some good runs through the middle and scored one of the most powerfully struck goals I've seen.

However, in the second half at Bournemouth he really struggled, even before Merson took himself off. He tired which is understandable, but you yourself said last week that to rest someone is ludicrous particularly when in the past there was only one substitute, and you played until you were dropped. The fact is though, this isn't the 60s and 70s, this is the 21st Century, and it is unrealistic to compare a youngster now to a youngster in the 60s. The game is 10 times quicker, and the ball no longer weighs the size of a small farm animal...

So how should we ensure that Taylor isn't burnt out and can provide the storming performances of the Port Vale game, and the Bournemouth and Oldham first halves if we aren't to rest young players?

However, if you had have been able to go to Bournemouth you would have seen that he was jaded in that second half, and wasn't effective at all. The same applied at Oldham, although for the last 25 minutes he was playing at right wing back - I think you went to Oldham and would have seen this, correct me if I'm wrong.

He did nothing on Saturday because he isn't ready to start yet, particularly against full backs of such high quality as Barnsley's full backs were. MMF and others have already agreed with me about that. He is not suited to starting in such a physically strong division...yet! I'm also concerned that he leaves Bazeley too exposed when starting a game when he is required to do more defensive work than as a second half substitute.

I really don't know how it can be the most ridiculous thing ever posted on these boards, as I share these boards with people such as Sheff with his loyalty to Steve Corica and all things pro-Lee and anti-Cox and Drummie and anything UCOW posts, Cox and Dummie himself, Geoff and his involunatary allergic reaction to crap referees, and Bob Thomas and his memories of the Walsall Youth League! ;-)

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Calm down Neil. We have only played 4 games. Of those, we should have won at Oldham if the keeper had not blown it. True Merse made a tactical error at Bournmouth but if it had come off he would have been hailed a hero. Oh and by the way, it is Bonsor's football club, not yours, and if I was JB I would get myself a nice right back. That would make me happy and I am sure sort out our football club.

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

Jorge - But on another thread you said our problems were not on the wings. So how suddenly can you say "I'm also concerned that he leaves Bazeley too exposed". I have been telling you since Bournemouth that we need to change to 4-4-2 or 3-5-2.
It doesnt take a genuius to realise that conceding 11 goals in 4 games is absymal. And do not forget we have yet to play a decent team!
BUILD FROM THE BACK. CONCEDE NO GOALS AND YOU WONT LOSE.
And before people start saying thats negative, well you are wrong as you can still play decent football by doing it.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I don't think I did say that Sheff, about the problems not being on the wings, but if you can tell me where I said that, I've probably just forgotten, more important things are happening this week than remembering what I said about our wing play.

Brian Clough built from the back, I'm pretty sure his teams were quite attractive. To a point Man United built from the back in the early 90's with Schmeichal, Parker, Bruce, Pallister and Irwin. I'd agree with you there, if we can get our defence sorted, then we have the capablities to progress.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Surrey, if you think one player would make a difference you are sadly mistaken. Saturday was headless chicken time and too much like watching big fat Jan's team. He said he would learn from his mistakes - well he needs to start showing some signs of it, because there haven't been any so far.
You also can't say we would have won at Oldham without the Keeper, not judging by our defending on Saturday.
It may only be four games, but it's 7 points dropped from the position we should have been in (2- 0 up away from home twice and only 1 point!!!!!!) and I don't see any improvement at all.
Lastly, it is my football club, along with every other supporter. I've been going 40 years and I want it treated with respect, not as a Kindergarten for budding managers. He needs to get it right and quickly so we can all start watching decent football again in the Championship.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

By the way, am I mistaken, or did Geoff say further up that Kris Taylor is doing a "Dyer" and picking and choosing where he plays? If he is, get rid - now. There's only room for one manager at a club.

By Jolly Johnny (82.36.183.62) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:42 pm: Edit

I completely agree with Neil's last few posts - well done for showing some passion mate - that's what we needed to see on Saturday and at Oldham but haven't. There's no talking on the pitch and no-one really being a leader despite all the experienced heads out there.

I don't blame McKinney for us losing at Oldham, only 2 goals were arguably his fault - our 10 outfield players couldn't be bothered to get within 6 feet of theirs. We are ball watching too much when they attack (If you saw Pire's goal yesterday it was because the full back hadn't watched him run into the box and mark him - we are doing too much of that.)

I am also concerned about hearing Kris Taylor is 'at loggerheads' with Merse over playing left back and doing a 'dyer'. He is a good player we could do with and either he is being arrogant or Merse isn't the great man manager we were hoping for. The last few years has seen too much player power and it is time players realised they are very, very fortunate to play pro football and show some professionalism for a change.

There, rant over, let's see a different team on Wednesday please!!!

By Frazy (195.92.168.167) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Very Lucky but we won't go up playin like this.This is what i thought.

Paston-Not too bad but he could have punched the ball away on the 2nd.Im not a a fan because he was awful in preseason. 7/10

Bazeley-Very poor.Maybe Mark Wright should be given a go instead.I still have faith in him though. 5/10

Bennett-I thought he did quite well but made a couple of mistakes. 7/10

Roper-His passing isn't improving is it?Still he works very hard.Didn't look right today.. 5/10

Emblen-Slipped up a lot.5/10

Daryl Taylor-Was wasted for a long time on the left and then lokked a bit better on the right.6/10

Osborn-He looked a lot better than he was and played some nice passes.7/10

Wrack-Was awful and didn't work....and then scored the freekick. 6/10

Kinsella-Not as good as he had been.Don't know why he was taken off.Still good though.7/10

Fryatt-Got a srappy goal and couldn't beat Carbon in the air but did quite well.Hope he isn't injured very long. 7/10

Leitao-So much better than Birch and worked hard.He better be played next week.8/10

Williams-He did brilliant first game and now he is desperately running around just trying to touch the ball.Couldn't beat anyone.Vale was his only good game.5/10

Atieno-I thought he looked promising coming on and worked very hard.7/10

Standing-Looked quite good and i wouldn't mind him starting a game.7/10

By the way halftime was very good watching the blindfolded people try and get to the disc.I hope They do that again.Anyone know anything more about this Brizilian trialist Cico either?

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

OK Neil, I wasn't at the Barnsley game and so I cannot really comment but I was at Bournmouth and I heard the internet commentary at Oldham. At Bournmouth we should have taken 3 points. Also from listening to Kearnsie at Oldham it seems we were acres better than them until the keeper blew it and our heads dropped and their's rose. So that's 5 points down the drain. I suppose what worries me about your posts at the moment is that you seem to be working up an anti Merse mood. i.e referring to Merse as "he". and saying "he needs to stop playing about with my football club" I have my reservations as well (for obvious reasons) but we must give the guy a chance. He has given youth a chance- Taylor 3 goals, Fryat goals as well and a chance for Leroy. Up the Saddlers

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Jorge If he tires sub him! Why over analyse? We have 3 subs available, so what's the problem? He's had 1 bad game (apparently), and that strangely the one where Merson didn't play in. I called it ludicrous to say he was "annonymous when Merson was in the team" when he scored a goal in each and every game, one of which was the winning goal, and the other of which was a goal that earned us a point, how on earth is that being annonymous?

Also, if he has a problem with stamina, the older heads and fitness coaches (of which there are a plethera at Bescot) should be working with him to improve that, including how to pace himself. Daryl Taylor is 19 I believe, not 17 as people keep saying. I appreciate that the games come thick and fast in the first team compared to the reserves, but at 19 there's no logical reason why he should be incapable of coping with the rigours of starting games.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

I might be getting a little hot under the collar, but I am really worried. There are too many "happy clappy" people about who seem to think all's well with the world cos Lee's gone, or too many fond of saying they'd rather lose 4 - 3 attacking and as long as we are playing attacking football it's alright. It isn't. I don't want to be in this Division one moment longer than we have to be.
I actually like Merson's style (especially the way he winds the press up with red herrings), but I wish to God he'd brought in an experienced number two to help with the tactics, as he's making too many cock ups at the moment.

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Nice to see Mark "the forgotton man of Bescot" Wright get a mention in relation to possible wing-back duties. We were told pre-season that he and Bazeley were virtually neck and neck to get the shirt. So what's happened? I'm not one for messing about with team selection just for the sake of it or because its a cup tie, but surely someone else should be given a go at right-back on Wednesday, coupled with a change of tactics and formation to try and get things right before the bank-holiday 2 games in 3 days?

By Simon Ward (213.249.241.77) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Nice of Darren Wrack to give a special thank you to those that stayed till the end of the match.

What a great memory?

A Young Team needing good support!

It must be great when you are getting beat and you notice your supporters leaving!!

We all have busy lives but why not stay and support till the death ... or Glory (as it was on Saturday).

By SheffieldSaddler (82.38.184.69) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

If we play 4-3-1-2 on Wednesday we are going to be murdered.
4-4-2 with Wrack at right back. And either Kris Taylor or Broad on left. Cannot see it being Taylor though, so most likely Broad.

By Geordiesaddler (193.195.190.230) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Good point Simon. I couldn't believe it last week when at 4-2 down and about 20 minutes to go a bloke and his daughter got up and left. I mean if you're so busy that you have to leave 20 minutes before the end, why bother in the first place? Some people seem to enjoy beating the traffic, more than the game itself. People that leave when there's basically a goal in it are beyond me, especially this season when both teams look capable of scoring at any time, and we've had God knows how many goals in the last 15 minutes, including 3 in the last minute itself.

By Saddlerchick (82.33.36.244) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Sorry about the late'ish post.

This was my first match since the Burnley game last season and I can see a big improvment. Theres more heart. There's speed going forward.

I thought that the young lads were OK but got brushed off the ball too easily by the bigger stronger Barnsley blokes. Bennett needs to practice throw in's!

I thought Osbourn was crap!

Bazeley, defiately not what he was in his first season with us.

I thought Emblen had some good periods but at times he just wasnt thinking or concentrating, especially for their second. Ropes was OK but his timing in tackles is stil

Return to 2004-05 Season