Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Torquay (a) - League - 28th August

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Torquay (a) - League - 28th August

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:53 am

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Standing in for Taylor in the only change from Barnsley, Broad, Zigor and Merson on the bench. Much more balanced squad, so let's hope for something better.

By feckedoffsaddler (80.43.172.57) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Fecking dozy Roper!!!! How many times does he have to get sent off before the club fecks him off. He's an embarrasment!!

By hullsaddler (213.249.247.31) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

According to commentary,sounds like Julian Bennett should be replacing Roper in centre of defence after his second half performance.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Oh well,we can't even win against Torquay, but we didn't conceed any goals, so at least its a point, here's hoping for 3 points on Monday.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Oh well,we can't even win against Torquay, but we didn't conceed any goals, so at least its a point, here's hoping for 3 points on Monday.

By Geoff Whiting (84.66.83.189) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Clean sheet at last - and with 10 men!

Sounds from Saddlers World/WM commentary like we could and should have put away a couple of chances in the second half to win it - Jorge missed an easy one (no surprises there for me, he always misses far more than he'll ever score), so did Standing (I know nowt about his normal finishing abilities, if any, so can't comment).

Kearns said he was very concerned about Roper first half, he seemed totally lost and it sounded inevitable he was going to get that second yellow and get sent off. I was thinking we should get him off and replace him before the inevitable happened - then the Saddlers World connection failed - when I got it back on, the inevitable had already happened. If only we'd taken that step and kept 11 men on, I think we would have come away with 3 points. As hullsaddler says, according to commentary Julian Bennett improved the centre of defence no end, maybe he should get to start there on Monday, dropping Ropes to the bench might do him some good. In fact if the same "instant punishment" applies as in the 1st game of the season, I guess it may be an enforced change anyway.

I shall wait for those who have been to confirm whether or not Roper deserved what he got, but Kearns had no real complaints.

By Geoff Whiting (84.66.83.189) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Just listened to the Merson post-match interview on WM - he said Roper deserved to go, and added that he made lots of poor tackles in the game and could have gone any time.

I have to say, as Merson admits that he saw that situation developing, he really should have taken Roper off before the second yellow happened, to avoid the sending-off and the inevitable suspension that Roper will now get.

More for Merse to learn from this, methinks.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.185.59.222) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Am I allowed to comment even though I didnt go?
I spoke to a few people at half time and they all said we were a shambles in the first half.
Can I ask how this can happen? We were playing a team with 1 point from 12, a team who were 2 divisions below us last season and are near certainties to go down.
If we cant go and and stuff 1 or 2 past them in first 45 minutes something is drastically wrong.
We improved 2nd half when Merson came on apparently.
1 point against Torquay. Sorry but this is not good enough.
Roper needs to get himself sorted out, I cannot believe what had happened to the guy. Well I can in a way because he needs someone next to him who can talk him through the game, like Ritchie last season. Is Emblen able tio do this?

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

It sounds like he already had, Geoff, for some things at least. He chose a properly balanced squad for the 16 and they could, therefore, cope with the sending off, as Aranalde came on when they were tiring. If the same thing had happened versus Barnsley, we'd have been up cack creek without a paddle. He chose a decent gamble this time, taking off the holding player for himself, as that didn't disrupt the pattern. Much better than going gung ho.

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Thank God Merse knows how to use the subs.

Off to see "Jesus Christ Superstar" at the Hippodrome; well after Kelly.

bye

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Geoff, and what if he had have withdrawn Roper and we'd have conceded? Imagine the bloodshed on here!!!? If Roper, as one of our more experienced pro's, can't start to hold his game together, then it's time for him to go. It's players such as him who are scuppering the managers plans. ie, Merson is looking to the experienced pro's to help bed the kids in. If the experienced pro's are performing like prize prats, where exactly does it leave the manager?

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.67) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Just got back from the game. Mixed emotions. In the first half we were truly shambolic, as dire as anything we witnessed last season, and bearing in mind we were playing a team who look even at this stage like they'll be relegated from this league, that's truly a worrying thing. On the other hand, our goal was rarely threatened, despite Roper putting in the weakest performance from a Walsall centre back in ages. He was nervous throughout, persistently fouled and should have been sent off before he was. His passing was as bad as ever. He's had a poor start to the season and perhaps it's time for a spell on the sidelines - Bennett looked calm and assured at centre back, better in fact than he does as a full back, and I'd be perfectly happy to see him get a run there and Zigor (who did well when he came on) return to the left.

There was a farcical situation about a minute in when the linesman signalled a penalty against us (for no obvious reason), but after lengthy discussions with the ref it was changed to a free kick to us. The Torquay fans didn't seem to notice that the linesman had signalled a penalty - I don't suppose they would have been too pleased with the ref overruling him!

As poor as we had been in the first half, we were good in the second. Merson brought himself on and changed the game, a class above anyone else on the park and his best performance of the season. He put in many good balls which we just couldn't finish, and when D Taylor came on he did some good things as well. If we hadn't been down to ten men we'd have won I'm sure.

Spoke to a couple of Torquay fans after the game and they thought it was their best performance so far - god help them if so since they were as bad as we were in the first half and rarely threatened in the second even with an extra player.

Paston - his kicking was poor but otherwise he looked confident and in command of his area - the few saves he had to make, he made well - promising and it'll do him no harm to keep a clean sheet
Bazeley - a couple of dodgy moments against Torquay's very pacy number ten, but he put some great challenges in and made some good runs
Bennett - again, a couple of mistakes when he was at full-back, but didn't put a foot wrong when he moved into the middle
Emblen - looked a lot more comfortable on the right side of the centre-half pairing after Roper went off, but his lack of pace was exposed on a number of occasions
Kinsella - disappointing, and he went off in the second half again - got caught in possession too often, some sloppy passing too
Osborn - neat and tidy performance again, good stuff
Wrack - poor - as he has been in every game so far? Ironically he looked far better when he played (briefly) at left back before Aranalde came on
Standing - lots of running about but nothing much ever seemed to come of it - like he was against Port Vale - and he missed an absolute sitter following a perfect cross from Taylor (I think) towards the end
Fryatt - did a few nice things but never looked like scoring, and was sacrificed at half time
Leitao - huffed and puffed like nobody's business and looked quite strong, but wasted a good chance he should have buried - he should have won a penalty though, looked pretty blatant to me

Subs
Merson - our man of the match despite only playing 45 minutes, made some wonderful runs, took up great positions, trying to lead by example
Aranalde - maybe needs to pick up his match fitness again, but seeing him bounding up the left wing and putting the ball over (never to much great effect, it has to be said) was like running into a long lost friend
D Taylor - did well when he came on, playing up front, got a couple of good crosses in

Having had nothiing but strikers on the bench for the first four games, strangely we didn't have any today (Atieno travelled but didn't get on the bench - wonder where Birch was) and, ironically, we needed one. With Fryatt coming off (correctly) at half time to shore up our midfield, when Leitao inevitably went off later on we didn't have any real options

Changes for Monday? Well, depending on how tired people are, I wouldn't make wholesale ones - presumably Bennett will play centre back and Aranalde left back, otherwise I'd just stick Merson on for Standing. If we play anything like we did in the first half, we'll be slaughtered by Swindon, no doubt about it - if we play like we did in the second, we must have a good chance.

Apart from the amusing result for Bristol City, the highlight of the day was the fight between Torquay's manager and our physio after Leitao's penalty appeal, though the fourth official sadly intervened before a knockout punch was delivered.

By Mildred (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

George Roper has been letting us down for years. Last season Norwich left their scout's pre-match notes in the changing room. These judged Roper's best position to be "on Blackpool beach". As I remember it they scored 5 against us.

By dave small (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

roper is ••••• walsall r crap all gungo.merson is manager oñly to stop a riot end of last season

By jon edwards (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Poor display again sack Roper and Merson

By Ron sims (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

better luck at Hereford next season

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.68) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Dave, Jon and Ron - looks like you must be roommates based on your IP addresses. Must avoid a lot of household conflict that you all share the same views on matters football.

By spanish saddler (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

oola amigos clean sheet at last eh.Ño thanks to Ropey wots appened to him.choice of saddlers at wednesday or Barcelona v A C Milan wednesday 2-1 barca 118000 in ground.Bogs r bigga than bescot any way san miguel is calling

Adios amigos

By english saddler (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

this is 2 spanish saddler i hear what ur sayin its a discrace ay it

By walsall boy (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

too right sack roper n merson walsall r goin down the drain gotta go

By walsall boy (80.58.52.172) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

walsall r 2 good for division 1 n 2 crap 4 divission 2

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

I must admit after Wednesday night I was worried that we were just a shambolic, disorganised pile of sh!t that are likely to get sucked into the world's most unlikely relegation scrap. Now after today's result I am even more convinced we might be.

Cheers Merse at least now I know where I stand re next Saturday's trip. It is a relegation 6 pointer. Unless of course we get the requisite 5 points verus Swindon to make this a successful weekend. Two more bad results and then its time for tatty byes to PM, because this is abysssssssssssssmall lllll. All the nasty arsed, self proclaimed witty, terrace numbties have turned into appologetic pints of milk. And Walsall FC is turning into a firkin laughin' stock.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Sheff, I agree with everything you said mate!

We need an Adi Viveash at the back, someone who will talk and will wear his heart on his sleeve.

We need more pace and movement in midfield. We cannot play Kinsella, Standing, Wrack and Osborn in the same midfield. No width, the only significant movement came from Wrack, and we lacked a driving force in there. I thought that this was Mark Kinsella's role. He isn't looking like a supposed Premiership/Internat ional footballer at the moment.

2 points dropped again, and regretfully, I think we've got to start questioning the appointment of Merson if our performances carry on at this standard. Our plight was epitimised in the first 15 minutes when Paston called for a ball, allowing a striker to nip in around Emblen, fortunately, the ball looped wide and Paston went on to have a very good game.

I was worried that we would do a Sheffield Wednesday and I think that that might be happening this season. Promotion likelies struggling in the lower reaches of the Second Division. We won't get as bad as Grimsby, because Bonsor isn't one to hold back with making changes in management if things aren't working.

The month of September is make or break for our Season, and the next 4 months are make or break for Paul Merson's managerial career. Simple as that really. The jury is still out.

By Stu (195.92.67.77) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Well, 9 1/2 hours and 480 miles later, I'm left to ponder the absolute joke in the first half, I even wondered if I'd been transported back in time to the Sorensen or Hibbit days. We were absolutely atrocious, I really can't put it into words.

As such, I won't talk about the first half as it was the worst performance I've seen for years. Yes, it was even worse than Gillingham away last season when you consider who we were playing.

Roper = Moron. It was only a matter of time before he picked up a 2nd yellow card, disappointed that we didnt' see that as it ultimately cost us.

2nd half the introduction of Merson really turned things around because Torquay were so dog-•••• it was beyond belief. They seemed scared shitless of him, they backed off him, they let him run, they were just crap. However we didn't create much, Standing blazed over when he should have done better, Jorge dragged wide and we sent a couple across the face. Mind you, Torquay had 3/4 very good chances.

Paston was superb, made some very good saves and that kick of his is bloody massive, wish we had an aerial presence. Jorge also had a very good game, chasing his own flick ons and winning them, running at defenders as well.

Baze had a decent game too.

Biggest whinge was the soft get behind me who "wished he'd (the Ref) send Paston, Bazeley or Osborn" off instead. Didn't say much when I politely reminded him that after Paston made a couple of super saves in the 2nd half, Ossie hadn't done any worse than Kinsella or Standing and Baze had a fairly decent game.

Saying that he was also booing the black lad that Roper picked up his 2nd yellow card for, I don't know why he was doing that as Roper fully deserved to walk.

I'll take the point as we only had 10 men and there was an improvement 2nd half, but I cannot put into words how bad the first half was.

I'm beginning to think we're just mid-table fodda to be honest, we've really got to get some organisation and discipline into the side.

I hope Monday will be different, but I've said that about Barnsley and Torquay and neither have been so far.

By Geoff Whiting (81.77.72.180) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Steve, it might seem to be a tough decision - maybe brave even - but everyone who went ( I didn't, so I relied on the live Saddlers World/WM commentary to come to my conclusion that he should come off) says Roper was having a 'mare. Kearns said on the live commentary that it was only a matter of time before the Ref gave Roper a second yellow, and in his post-match interview Merson said Roper "could have gone any time."

In those circumstances - nightmare performance, one yellow card and a second yellow looking likely - sod the risk of criticism, I'd have thought the decision would almost have made itself. If it had been me, I wouldn't have hesitated - it would have kept us with 11 men on the pitch, avoided the red card, avoided Roper getting a ban which will presumably be 2-3 games as it's his second sending off in the month, and got him out of a game where he was a liability rather than an asset anyway.

As I said before, another lesson to be learned by PM, and I hope he won't forget it.

I agree with you that certain of the senior players are letting Merson down, Neil doesn't agree but blames it on tactics and formation. I think it's a combination of both, but if players like Roper aren't doing the job, it leaves PM in a difficult position tactically, as he is usually one of the first names on the team sheet.

By Geoff Whiting (81.77.72.180) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I see you agree about the failure to fetch Roper off as well, Stu. Unusual that, you and me agreeing on footballing matters !

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.177) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Slowly but surely the more reasoned posters on this board, not the ones who are pro- this or anti-that, but the ones who generally go to games, support the team and hope for the best are coming round to the obvious conclusion that we have major, major problems. Stu, I mentioned the Hibbit era in conection with Oldham and Sheff Wed. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD. We are in serious danger despite the obvious talent in our squad, of getting sucked into a relegation scrap. Why? might ask the blinkered "everything will turn out ok" brigade.

Why? because we can't defend, can't pass the ball, can't talk to each other, can't learn from mistakes, can't get the best out of experienced proven players, have no disciplin, no shape, no organisation, little fight or bottle, no money, no experience at management or coaching level, dwindling support, no self-belief, can't create chances from open play, now we can't score goals, can't beat effin' Torquay, and have a manager that thinks the best way forward is to give our overworked poor little players a rest come the next match day!!!!! 2004/5 thus far has been a firkin shambles. Sort it out Merson, sort it out ASAP for pity's sake. Supporters deserve much much better than this, this is cr*p like the dictionary definition of the word.

By Stu (195.92.67.77) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

One other thing, today was a real day out at a proper football ground.

What's the definition of a proper football ground? Toilets that are basically a black wall about 3 ft high with a sunken drainpipe below. Proper lower division toilets!

By Saved sj (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Paul Merson Don't listen to them.

" Tell the rable to be queit I anticipate a riot it's just too loud this common crowd"

Judas was MEGA

By Geoff Whiting (81.77.138.24) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

Is there an interpreter in the house please ?

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

I went to the match yesterday and agree that the first half showing was one of the worst ive ever seen from any team. Once again i feel it's because we are playing the WRONG formation. We are not set up right at all.

Merson opted for the hole player once again. Now im for this if we had Marradonna, Pele or Zidane in there but we had Standing. He as well as everyone else we have at the club is not able to undertake this role and the team are also unable to carry the player because it just stretches us too often both as an attacking unit and a defensive one.

Too many times players looked lost in thier position, uncomfy of thier roles. Merson simply has to change the formation to a 4-4-2 so we can get some structure and discipline in the side.

I hope he starts against Swindon because if he doesn't then i will begin to question his judgement. It is so obvious to anyone that has any knowledge of the game that this silly 4-3-1-2 set up is WRONG. Please tell me you see it Paul, surely you can.

A point on Roper. The fact that we improved when he went off may suggest something about his performance. It was terrible. He is one of those players who from time to time needs a good bollocking. I feel he is too comfy and needs to fight for his place so my advice is fine him then drop him.

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 09:36 am: Edit

What seems obvious to me is that rather than blaming Merson, it is our players who are simply not good enough. Let's face it- we were relegated as from last Boxing day after which we went into free fall. Since then we have lost our best players- Walker(best goal keeper in Div 1 last year), Ritchie, Samways. Also Merse is one year older and saddled(pardon the pun) with extra responsibility. Added to that Bazeley seems to have lost it this year as has Roper. The newcomers have done little and all responsibility has been put on the shoulders of the youngsters.
What to do? I don't know, but all talk of wrong formations seem to me to be dodging the issue

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:10 am: Edit

The problem with that, Surrey, is that we already have 23, yes 23, players in the squad. How many more can we afford anyway? I'm going to agree completely with C&D for possibly the first time ever, we need to be playing 4 4 2 and desperately need two wingers. (I don't think you can expect Taylor to play every game and we ain't got a leftie).

By cannock (82.37.168.209) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit

I wasn't at the game yesterday so can't really comment on the match itself. However, i am starting to get a tad concerned that teams such as Torquay aren't put to the sword. The 'real' teams with aspirations of promotion have done exactly that.

Anything other than a victory tomorrow will have me drumming my fingers on my keyboard.

For the sanity of everyone on the message board Merson needs to give me a convincing victory.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.71) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

Perhaps I'm wearing blinkers and am stupid, but I still don't think there's anything wrong with the formation. The experienced players are making mistakes that they wouldn't have made last year. Perhaps this is down to training, but surely not. People talk about the lack of a natural leader on the field but yesterday we had Emblen and Osborn (not natural leaders, I'll give you that) both shouting encouragement at those around them throughout the game, so we're clearly trying to do something about it. Kinsella has come in and I was amazed because I thought he was too good for this league, but he certainly hasn't looked that so far. Emblen and especially Roper are making mistakes they never would have made last year - not making them because our formation is causing them to be constantly under siege, but doing bread and butter things wrong with their positioning, tackling and passing. Why would they do this? I'm sure they're not being told in training to go and stand in completely the wrong place when we're defending a set piece. Perhaps they're simply told nothing at all (which is what most people seem to think), in which case surely they have enough experience between them to know what to do. Surely nothing we do in training can make them forget how to pass a ball. Our best defensive performances have come from Julian Bennett when he's played at centre back, surely now is the time for him to have a run in the team at that position and bring Zigor back as left back.

I will agree with coxanddrummie about something - if we're going to play with someone "in the hole" then it needs to be a quality creative player. It's obvious already that Standing isn't up to it, so if Merson isn't playing then (don't laugh) it simply has to be Corica. What have we got to lose by giving him a try? When he played in that position when he first came to the club he looked a genuinely classy player. I know not many people like him, but he may be the answer we're looking for.

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

Corica has a back injury Bristol...but I agree, he is the classiest player we have at the club minus Merson, and once he's fit, I'd have him in the team at the drop of a hat.

By Stu (195.92.67.78) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:18 am: Edit

C&D is spot on, the formation is a bleedin nightmare. When even Torquay switch the ball from flank to flank to exploit the space, you know its not working.

If it meaans Merson can no longer play, so be it. Although what worries me is that without Merson in the side we've looked extremely ordinary.

Whatever we do, I think we need a couple of new faces in.

By Geoff Whiting (81.79.45.178) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

Have to agree 100% Bristol. I have made similar comments re Bennett & Zigor on another thread. And if Bennett works out during Roper's suspension, Roper will have competition for his place, which has to be good for us.

Also fully agree that only Merson and Corica can play the "in the hole" style for us. In their absence, 4-4-2 has to be the formation.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.71) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

Anyway, I note that the BBC's teletext/online report says that Torquay's on-loan striker Matt Fryatt went close with a chance. Interesting.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.179) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

Agree with C and D as well. The thing that struck me on Wednesday night is that we are organising the entire team around a player who isn't good enough. If Merson was single-handedly winning us games week in week out then fair enough, but he is far from that. Secondly, there have been two ocassions recently when Merson or Corica hasn't even started yet we STILL play 4-3-1-2! Can someone explain that to me? The formation is a major problem, the sub-standard performances of senior players is another - these are the SAME problems we had last season. We are yet to stop the rot I'm afraid, and that is the first step to rebuilding. Merson has to come up with something other than painting the dressing rooms brown and telling players how good they are. Like Cannock says we really need a performance sooner rather than later. Lets get back to basics, either 3-5-2, or 4-4-2 playing our best and most in form players week in week out irrespective of whether or not they played last mid-week and all that nonsense.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

Yes, Geordie, the same problems as last season, only playing against teams nothing like the quality. That's the worry - we haven't played any of the front runners yet and only Barnsley of those we have played seem to have the chance of getting better (lokk at Weddy getting thrashed on Friday!). Tomorrow's a big test, so I hope we play with a lot better organisation and tactics. I assume Roper is out, as the suspension kicks in straight away now? Fryatt, I presume, will be doubtful?

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Ask yourselves this, how many successful teams in any division adopt this silly 4-3-1-2 system? The answer is NONE.

I agree that Merson seems to be shaping his side on this player in the hole position. If he continues he is not only stubborn but stupid.

It's time to get back to basics Paul and adopt a system that players are comfy with. The reason why many of them are under performing is because they are beaten before they start.

If i were watching Walsall at the moment from an opposition point of view id be licking my lips at playing them. " just flank em" "when your in possession pull em from left to right, just hit the flanks" id be saying.

Ray Graydon took us up TWICE playing a 4-4-2 with far inferior players i might add. Arsenal have just gone 40 odd games unbeaten playing a 4-4-2. Every succesfull team adopts a 4-4-2 foundation and builds thier personal around it. It's pretty simple really.

The hard bit is finding the players. Well i think we are far better suited to that formation, and more importantly i bet all the players would agree looking at thier lost faces yesterday.

As for the point about the club not having left sided players. Id disagree with that. I feel that there is few players that could play the left sided midfield role well in a 4-4-2. Both Wrack and Zigor can play there as well as both the Taylors and even Williams could.

By Stu (195.92.67.78) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

With your connections C&D, surely you can get access to Merson and tell him this. With the respect you command, surely he'll listen to a great such as yourself.

Seriously though, as you say, its bloody obvious how to get the better of us.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

It's more the case that Merson is trying to get to me for advice along with everyone else. Im a very busy man you see Stu, no time for small talk.

Tonight for instance im going to Italy (private jet) to meet a modern day Al Capone. Ill soon get his measure though. (the gangster measure, not penis)

Earlier today there was a frightened cat stuck on top of a chimney. I was driving along to get the morning papers in my Bentley (classical blaring,crovat intact) and noticed some children pointing at the cat. So i pulled over.

"Can i help" i said
"Yes, please get my cat" replied the crying child.
"Don't be silly, the man will get his white suit dirty" said his mother. (wetting herself as she looked my way, not urine).

What followed was somewhat amazing. Have any of you seen that advert where the man is doing all kinds of gymnastics on top of various buildings. Well that was me this morning, my crovat didn't even twitch.

Anyway i got the cat down but he darted off,i ran to get it. Now we all know how quick cats can run ie Cheetah. Did i catch it? course i did. Got it back to the crying child who was elated along with his mother who was soaking at this point around the midriff.

Before i ran i adjusted my multi functional rolex to timer just to check my pace. By sheer coincidence i clocked up 101 metres in the chase. I noticed as i got into my car that my time was 8.84 seconds. Quite amazing eh. Looked in rear view mirror to check on my obvious distressed crovat, yet it was immaculate.

What you been doin Stu?

By Leamore Saddler (83.151.199.112) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Steve

It's CRAVAT not crovat.

By David Potter (70.240.94.33) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Nothing surprises me about Walsall FC.

I've been supporting this club for far too long to be surprised anymore.

You reap what you sow.
We didn't do a lot of sowing between seasons.

The first problem is Merson. IMO, we should never have appointed him as manager. Far too inexperienced for the task at hand. He's proving to be "all talk and no action", tells people what they want to hear.
I admire his honesty, enthusiasm and trying to instill self-belief into the players, but things are not going well at all.

We have got to stay with the 442 formation. All this other crap didn't work last year and hasn't, and won't, this.
I agree with Geordiesaddler when he said that we can't build a team around someone who is not good enough!

I really don't understand why folks thought that we would slaughter this league, or at least, be in the top six.
Inexperienced manager, woeful signings (apart from Kinsella), ageing and very slow midfield, no width (which really kills us) and depending on youth to score the goals.
What it boils down to, and fans are reluctant admit is, we're not good enough!!!!!!!
We weren't last year, ditto this.
We have a large squad (too large) of nobody's, and not a leftie to be found. Merson's a midfielder that plays off the front two and he's built a team of midfielders. Totally unbalanced and zero chemistry.

I do hope Paul gets it right, I fear that he won't and will be replaced rapidly if things don't turn around. I don't think that Bonser will continue to let thing slide like we witnessed last year.

I'm very disappointed with the poor start that we've had, but not surprised.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

Where i come from it's Crovat. You see a Cravat is what peasants wear to make themselves look good and rich.

I however wear a Crovat, which is the latin term. You have to earn the right to wear a crovat. You will all know soon enough. God will tell you all why i wear it and how i earned the right to.

By Near post header (80.47.198.93) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

When will some people realise that if somebody isnt playing well for a few games thier not bad players just out of form! For gods sake some people are calling for Ian Roper to go. Consistantly our best outfield player for the last three seasons in division one, why should we kick him out? Replace him with who? Bennet? What happens if he plays a couple of stinkers? Kick him out too? Think on guys.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

When players are out of form, taking them out of the firing line for a spell sometimes works. Calling for them to be "got rid of" (as if it's that easy when they're on contract anyway), is just ridiculous, I agree. As it happens, I think Roper looks like he needs a rest to regain his form - especially as he or Emblen have to play left side when they are both totally right footed (Matt Carbon, where are you now?). The problem is, we have only Bennett or Kofi to bring in. We'll find out more tomorrow how good either might be, as Ropes will be suspended anyway.

By Near post header (80.47.221.32) on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Indeed. Should suit Bennett as Kofi is rightfooted as I understand it.

By Manchester Saddler (80.5.160.4) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

Crovat? Latin? What utter bollox

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Saturday has come and gone but I'd just like to add that about 2 bad tackles after Roper's first booking Wrakc shouted to Merson and Iffy on the bench "He's on his last warning take him off before he gets sent off"

About 5 minutes later Wrack, very angry and shouting as he said it..."I f*****g told you to get him off"

Return to 2004-05 Season