Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Swindon (h) - League - 30th August 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Swindon (h) - League - 30th August 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:52 am

By reading saddler (82.133.65.125) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:40 pm: Edit

2-2 and only 40 minutes played why am i not surprised

By ken (195.153.124.163) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

do you know the line up ? i only know that leitao is playing!

By 1933 (81.156.216.101) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

WALSALL: Mark Paston, Darren Bazeley, Zigor Aranalde, Simon Osborn, Neil Emblen, Gary Birch, Jorge Leitao, Paul Merson, Darren Wrack, Julian Bennett, Joe Broad.

Subs: Richard McKinney, Michael Standing, Taiwo Atieno, Daryl Taylor, Mark Kinsella

By petebackinhk (218.102.23.28) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

2-0 down after 24 minutes. Let's hope we can do an 'Oldham'!

By pete (218.102.23.28) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Gary Birch???!!! Amazing!!!!

By ken (195.153.124.163) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Lets hope that kick starts our season!

What a comeback!

By reading saddler (82.133.65.125) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

wow..... just read the vidi printer after watching sky sports review and we really had some shots.
up the saddlers

By T of Dover (195.92.67.76) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

11th place W2 D3 L1 why are people moaning check the dingles stats

By T of Dover (195.92.67.76) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

11th place W2 D3 L1 why are people moaning check the dingles stats

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

Just back from the match, What a recovery, after a shocking first 20 or so minutes, then being 2 nil down, to get back on even footing before half time was amazing.(WE could of been 3-2 up as wracky missed a sitter)
Our football most of the first half was awful, in fact a guy sitting by us left when we were 2-0 down. Shame because he missed a better second half, where we dominated most of the play.
Birch played well, and actually ran for the ball and his control was a lot better.
Jorge, certainly MOM, played his heart out and was rewarded with two goals.
Watching Walsall is no good for your health, talk about a rollercoaster ride, glad to get off with a win for a change!
Hope we can con tinue to play like the second half in our next match,

By Fensaddler (82.37.169.177) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Took my five year old daughter and Mrs Fensaddler for the first time ever today - we had our money's worth! Thought it was all over, we were appalling for the first fifteen minutes, but a different team after that, and certainly deserved the win - for the rest of game we were by far the better team.

A word or two of support for the players the crowd still seems to pick on. Bazeley got skinned for pace a number of times, but overall did far more right than wrong, he never hid from the ball, he made good use of a lot of the possession he had, including some useful crosses, and one shot that their keeper really knew about. Birch, for all his faults, particularly his poor first touch at times, again got stuck in, looked classy at times running with the ball, and was involved in all three goals. Osborn was quietly effective and did a lot of useful but unspectacular work. Paston looked far more assured in his handling, made a couple of great saves, and whilst his distribution was occasionally wayward, he more often than not put the opposition under pressure with his kicks out. Broad - first time I've seen him - looked good, and Wracky could so easily have had a couple - one at the end of the first half when it looked harder to miss than score, and another blinding free kick onto the post, but this time about three inches further to the left than against Barnsley.

Bennett, for me, looks better in central defence than on the left, where Zigor had a good game, and helped our attacking options. Jorge had the best game I've seen him have in two seasons, really putting himself about. Merse had a fine game, doing what he does best with fine passing, and whilst Emblen wasn't brilliant today, he certainly didn't have a shocker.

Poor attendance, not even 6000, but the best news for me was that amongst them, walking back just in front of me, was a Sikh guy in turban, with his little lad in tow. Quietly, for me, that was the best thing I've seen all day - its been a couple of seasons at least since I've heard anything remotely racist at a home game.

Good team performance for 75 minutes, thoroughly deserved win, and really pleased that Birch scored it, both to silence his critics and boost his confidence.

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

As someone with a bit of a crap memory, the answer to this may well be "last week you old fool!". But the question is when was the last time we came from behind to win. It seems like several lifetimes away. And coming from 2 goals behind? - I can remember a game against QPR in the sixties, but we must have done it since then.

By Comebacks?? (82.37.184.96) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Port Vale at home in about '87, we eventually won 5-2. Possible we were 2 down to Rotherham (the Nicky Cross substitution game) and won that one 5-2. Sure there could be more recent comebacks

By sedgers (62.31.220.103) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

first 25 minutes we were pathetic the back four and all the midfield were sat back on our own 18 yard line but after that i think we played some great stuff and it should have been well over be for fatty birch scored.even though we played well though we still looked vunerable at back even in the second half when we were cruising really.thought paston was superb commanded his area well and made a great save second half,the only player who i would only moan about even if he did score the winner was birch who still looks lazy and uninterested at times but nether the less we got the three points and had another value for money day out at the bescot,had willie carson sat behind me was very quiet after jorges second. CAN WE PLAY YOU EVERY WEEK,CAN WE PLAY YOU EVERY WEEK!!!!!!

By Comebacks Revised?? (82.37.184.96) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, just remebered Rotherham away, first game of season. (the play off season), 2 down and won 3-2

By sedgers (62.31.220.103) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

oh by the way graydons third year in charge when we was in the second division the first three games of the season we came back from behind to win i think,rotherham 3-2,oxford 3-2,oldham 3-2

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Broad impressed me today he played well with Merson and had good vision throughout. I think Broad, Ossey, Wrack and Merson have what it takes to get us out of this division.

Happiness at the end was inspired

By ken (195.153.124.163) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

Leitao first centre forward on team sheet from now on , I hope so - he should be the man in this league

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

No-one can have a go at Birchy today. As usual today, I sat the end Walsall were attacking. If Birchy lost more than 2 headers today, then I'd be surprised. He was much, much better, and it was really great to see him score. I'm very much in the minority being a bit of a "Birch fan", but he impressed me at Bournemouth and showed me that he could play, and today, he really deserved that starting place, and his goal.
When will people realise that Birch is a totally different player to Fryatt and Jorge? He is more of a target man, and today, he did that role to a tee. He won headers, created flick-ons, and if I'm not mistaken, it was Birchy's shot that was parried for Jorge's first.

Broad and Merson linked up well, Osborn played better once one of my mates had called him a barclays - and advised him to retire - which brought a vocal response from Ozzie. But I'm pleased that he looked more on the pace today, and looked generally interested.

We played with a lot of confidence in the last hour, thought Bennett was quite impressive at centre back, more-so than at Bournemouth. I didn't think we missed Fryatt or Kinsella, or even Roper.

Finally, sitting in block K of the Fellow's stand in the second half this afternoon, I became aware of the amount of sad, lonely, old men who go to the football only to moan and have a go at players. One bloke even made a comment about Birchy's celebration! Not only can Gary Birch not do anything right, but these sad blokes sit there and moan at everything, whether it be the half-time entertainment, or Merson's haircut. If they aren't going to get behind the lads, why don't they stay at home and count their pennys?

Rant over about senile people at football...roll on Donny!

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

A real mixed bag today. Some good, some bad, and some ugly I suppose. Nevertheless, not a bad holiday period really. A point away from home whilst down to ten men for much of the game, and coming back from two down against a side who've won their last four.

I sincerly trust that Paul will press on regardless, doing things 'his way'. All good luck to him I say.

By delighted (81.178.199.206) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Just a word about the "supporters" that i was sitting in front of in the purple lower...20 seconds into the game and they are effing and blinding at Wrack, Birch, Bazeley and Paston telling them how crap they are etc etc...completely ruined my enjoyment of the first half, as depressing as it was to be 2-0 down after 14 minutes.

Do us a favour...if u want to be like that, push off down the Molineux.

Well done the lads specially Birchy, Paston, Zigor and super Jorge!

Paul Merson's Barmy Army!

By SaddlerJ (82.37.169.223) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Thought for the first 20 minutes Osborn was terrible would given him 2/10 but then he went on to paly a stormer, with some very intelligent play, Letieo was a differnt class, if the whole team worked as hard as him we'd be on 18 points along with Luton, Broad was queit but did well, Eblen has another poor game but will come good. Well done lads, took great team spirt and a more importantly not letting their heads drop to coem backa nd win that one. Keep goign Merse, i undecided if we on the verge of something good, keep playing like the final hour of that game and tighten up at the back and we most certainly are

By Dave Gittins (195.92.168.163) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Where do you start? First 20 minutes or so - absolutely appalling, nobody seemed to have a clue where they were supposed to be playing. On several occasions players even collided with each other in trying to get to the ball.

The equaliser was the turning point of the game for me. Birch was unlucky to see his shot saved but Leitao followed up excellently to head home. From that point on we seemed much more assured. Admittedly there were a few defensive lapses but Paston showed enough to imply he could be an adequate replacement for Jimmy (if I'm allowed to mention his name)-a couple of wayward clearances but on the whole more positives than negatives.

I think mention needs to be made for Bazeley who had the best match I have seem him play for quite a long time. He made some excellent overlapping runs and was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet at one point.

Merson had a good match, he was full of running and played some lovely passes around the pitch.

Another plus point, obviously, was the form shown by Jorge - he was very full of running, looked very sharp and several times he harried and tackled defenders. He fully deserved his two goals and the MOM award.

Finally, Gary Birch - I am not one of his biggest fans but he at least showed he was prepared to get stuck in even though he didn't perform for the full 90 minutes. It wasn't a great performance but one that showed that he may be able to do a job at the club. Hopefully his goal may give him some confidence. I said before the season started we should give him a chance and maybe this is the first step towards him at last coming good. If I am wrong in this, no doubt I will have it thrown back at me in the future. I think we all owe it to him to give him a chance though.

By LarryHaggler (81.133.130.212) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

First 25 minutes were a bloody disgrace, again. Mr Emblen was awaful all afternoon and we seem to have an illness spreading round Bescot, not just Roper but Emblen and Birch are all well over weight. MOM Jorge he played them on his own in the 1st Half. Second half much better, Ozzie had his best half this season, Broad pretty good and Bennett more solid than in the 1st. Now then Mr Birch, sorry he is pure •••••. He will never make a striker as long as he has a hole. Lazy, poor first touch and does not take a chance to get in the box, he just doesnt look for the ball. If he is going to be a footballer then play him in a position he can fulfill, like centre half. Countless times today he could have done better and if it was not for Jorge today we would of been hammered. Wrack, again poor, his start to the season aint been graet, but hey have to take the points but still very worried.
Thanks god for Jorge and his perfect cross shot than cannoned off Birch's head for the winner.

By PGtips (213.48.64.159) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Could we have turned a corner? The last hour was the best football of the season by a mile. We still look like we could conceed as soon as any ball is played in the air towards our box but we did play some really great stuff going forward. Broad was excellent and seemed to offer so much more than Kinsella. Our midfield looked more like a unit today.

Birch did win a lot of the ball and had a hand in all the goals. He is inevitably compared with Jorge as a stike partner which does him no favours as Jorge is the most hardworking player we have. I groaned as much as anyone at Birch today but on reflection he had a decent game. His reaction time and awareness of other players does need improving though.

Five days ago I thought Merson was finished. He ran the game today. He did tire at the end and I thought he should have come off but then he plays a key role in the final goal. Top drawer stuff.

By Brewood Saddler (172.190.118.145) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Went to my first game this season and after 20 minutes thought it was the worst 17 quid I had ever spent. Things however picked up and Jorge was particularly inspirational with his tireless running and 100% commitment.

What pleased me most was the relentless attacking football. Every time we had the ball you thought we might score and as I overheard some bloke say it could have ended 8-6.

My worry however is at the back. Paston played well second half but definitely lacks confidence in his back four. Bennett was a revelation to me but the partnership with Emblen looks flawed. In my opinion we need a real leader along the back line and I am unsure whether that player exists in the squad. Nevertheless if we keep averaging more than 2 a game the crowds will come to see good attractive football. The link play for both of Jorge's goals was particularly impressive and if we'd had that flair last season who knows what might have been.

Finally Gary Birch. I think he played reasonably well today. What he needs to do however is display a little more commitment in the same way that Jorge does. I am not saying doesn't care but if he chased every ball and used his strength in the challenge then the Fans may warm to him.

Anyway 3 points is all that matters.

Up the saddlers

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.169) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

I agree that Birch looked very poor but, at the end of the day, he was "involved" in both of Leitao's goals and scored one himself - not a bad return for a player who had a "poor" game.
Shocking 20 minutes followed by some of the best atacking football we've seen at Walsall.
Paston - at fault for the first, a couple of other dodgy moments but came good in the end. He needs to command his area and the defence better. It's the keeper's job to shout instructions and orders and he doesn't seem to be doing that, hence confusion in our defence.
Bazeley - excellent game and excellent goalline clearance at 2-2
Aranalde - how we've missed his attacking abilities at left back
Emblen - looked shakybut remember that their forwards are in good form and are not easy to play against.
Osborn - best 45 minutes he's had for us.
Broad - some good touches
Wrack - his season hasn't started for us as far as I'm concerned. SHould be far more influential. Missed a sitter but took another great free-kick
Merson - inspired
Leitao - inspired

By fryatt24 (172.188.191.126) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

How is he pure •••••?? i'm not a major fan but today he set up two goals and netted a fine winner. yes he looks overweight, yes he could do with looking a bit more like he cared but if my name was booed when the teams were read out, if my every touch, movement, even celebration was booed, i wouldn't exactly be chuffed. the crowd even sang jorge's name when birch scored. why cant some fans support the players, instead of booing and jeering them. You never know, messers birch bazeley paston osborn etc might respond positively to a bit of encouragemnt

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Just like to make one point. Merson was right to rest players for the cup game, he was spot on. Well done Paul, keep it up son.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Did you hear how many people were ringing up WM slating Birch, then adding for good measure that we need another keeper? Couldn't believe it! He had a hand in two goals and scored another. What else can he do? Paston could have come for the cross for the first, but kept us in it later on when he tipped that shot over.

Thought we looked tremendous going forward, best we probably have for a good while, but we defended abysmally AS A UNIT. Yes, I know Emblen had a poor game (again, some one texted WM saying he wasn't fit to wear the shirt!), but we let them have five or six free headers at set pieces (one kicked off the line and another saved full strtch by Paston second half, remember. Merson needs to look again at the strengths of his coaching staff, as none of them seem to have a clue about defending.

Lastly, for those who like having a go at Osborn, explain that superb second half performance.

By SaddlerJ (82.37.169.223) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

Letieo's name was sung because he did 95% of the work for the goal, was on a plate 4 birch. Didn't hear any booing of Birch and definatly didn't hear his celebraton booed.

Birch is the only player we've got who can hold the ball up, he has his faults as detailed in the above posts, but he's one of the best strkers we've had in years for that

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.69) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

After reading some of the comments above and hearing the people phoning WM (and even their reporter), I wonder whether I was at a different game. Birch was "very poor"? What!? He was involved in all the goals, won loads in the air, held the ball up well, went on a couple of runs and put himself about and beat his man, ran himself ragged chasing everything. Yes, he's let down by his first touch, but he tried his heart out today and played a blinder.

One thing we can all agree on is the first 20 minutes were shocking. Not quite like Torquay in that we still created one or two chances, and we were playing a far better team who punished us, but it was still a shambles. After that, though - if we played like that every week, we'd win the league. Remember we were playing a team full of confidence, one of the favourites to go up, and we made them look like a poor team.

Paston - at fault for goal one and may have done better for goal two, but on the other hand he made at least two world class saves to deny what looked certain goals, and his enormous kicks caused Swindon some real problems - he seems to grow in confidence and stature with every game
Bazeley - back to his best - yes he's exposed to pace but his forward runs are good, he put a couple of good crosses in, had a cracking shot on goal and dealt with things OK at the back
Aranalde - good to see him back, his forward runs left us exposed once or twice with nobody covering, but he did well
Emblen - fairly unconvincing again at times, cruelly exposed for lack of pace for Swindon's second, but did lots of good things too
Bennett - not as good as against Bournemouth or second half Torquay, but he still looks a class act
Osborn - great performance, won lots of balls, used the ball well, was at the centre of almost all our good play
Wrack - still not convinced - he missed one true sitter and another great chance, but his free kick was great
Broad - first time I've seen him and I was impressed - went from box to box, won the ball a few times, made some great runs forward, instrumental in our second goal
Merson - brilliant first half, bit subdued in the second, but if he plays like that regularly he'll terrify most teams in this league
Birch - see above - great game
Leitao - the game of his life

Seems Merson has finally got the players believing in themselves. Second half was the first time we've seen them live up to their billing and they would beat anyone playing like that. Great game.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.145) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Are we watching Walsall FC? I cannot remember such a start to the season where we tell the opposition "how ever many you score", "well score one more". It is really value for money, making up for last season I guess.
First 20 minutes I have never seen anything so bad from walsall.

Paston- He has finally proved why he is an international. He had to come out of his area so many times to make up for defensive errors. Looked so comfortable.
Baze- Why do so many get on his back week after week? Only Oldham away as he looked bad apart from that he has played OK in a dody back 4. Well done today baze.
Emblen- I think he got out the wrong side of the bed. It wasnt the same man today he looked so dodgy at everything he did.
Bennett- I dont know about this one, he either makes a spectacular tackle or does something really dodgy.
Zigor- I have to admit we have missed his service.
Wrack- WHAT are people on about the way he kept turning today no one could keep up with him. He is playin alot central to what hes used to. Played well today unlucky to score.
Ozzie-Played terrible first half but outshone everybody except jorge second half.
Broad- Looked a lot more useful going forward than kinsella.
Merse- Some outstanding passes and seemed to run quicker than swindons young defence.
Jorge- this man is finally back to his best. One supporter that shouts "You ba$tard Referee" all the time ridiculed Jorge. You and your mates should be disgusted to even moan at a bloke that gives 110% but to take the •••• and start singing "one gary birch" when jorge goes off. YOU SHOULD BE DISgRACED WITH YOURSELVES.
Birch- Best performance ive seen from him in a walsall shirt. Set up both jorges goal. Well done birchy. Bring on donny!

By Near post header (80.47.197.103) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Birchy was good today. A genuinley good effort. I also heard the idiotic comments on WM, "mould yourself on Jorge" said one caller, this was promptly agreed with by a female caller (just saying that to jog memories). Have they not noticed that he's a completly different build and type of player to Jorge? The chap cant win. I had a word with the guy sat next to me who had been calling for Birch to go off and booing for 10 minuets, as Birch celebrated his goal I asked him "still want him off"? He grunted and said nowt. Some people just dont understand why Birchy plays the way he does. He was played today by Merse because he was holding the ball up when we hoofed it clear. The victory today just papers over the cracks.

By Stalky (195.8.91.121) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Bristol fan, I think that you were at a different game. I will quote a comment which I posted on a different thread:-

"I agree that Birch had a good game, for the simple reason that he scored a goal and set up one of Jorge's. Since he asked us to judge him by his goals, which I gladly do, yes, he had a good game.

However, apart from that, this must have been the worst game he has ever had for the Saddlers. His ball control was abysmal, he gave it away virtually every time; he was lazy, just compare his lack of effort with that of Jorge; and yet again he was so lacking in alertness in the box. He really should have had three or four.

Nevertheless, I'll judge him by his goals and if he scores one and sets one up every game, I will accept that he deserves to keep his place in the team. (Unless there are two other strikers, e.g. Leitao and Fryatt, who score more often and set up more chances.)"

Did you not see the numerous occasions when he seemed to trip over the ball? Did you not see the occasion in the second half when Bennett slipped through a delightful sliced pass, only for Birch to be dozing and not even stretch out a leg for it? Did you not see the ball into the box in the second half, when his reactions were too slow to make an effort on goal? etc, etc.

OK, I know that anyone could list mistakes by players to prove that they played badly, if they wished to do so. But Birch once again, by his lack of pace, lack of effort and very poor reactions, showed that he should definitely be only our number three striker, at best.

Having said that, I repeat, he scored a goal and set up one other. For him that was an excellent game.

By Near post header (80.47.197.103) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Stalky mate, do you think Matty Fryatt would have held up the ball aswell as Birch? Would Fryatt have been as strong in the run up to both first half goals? I think nope to both questions. He is a different type of player and when all we can do is hoof the ball clear we need a player with his abilities.

By 4two (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Did anyone else not see how hard he worked today (Birch). I think Jorgey must have inspired him at times because he was chasing things down, i thought to my self, i wouldnt like to play against Birchy today. He is so strong. A right pain to play against.

His hold up play was great. The best we have. The Best i've seen since Andy Rammell.

Yet I think Birch has been Poor in 90% if his games for us. I hope this is where he will push off and prove those of us who don't rate him wrong.

It just goes to show why he has been around so long. Why Derby were sniffing around a few years ago. Why Colon stuck with him last year, and why Merse has played him this year. They must see this kind of thing is inside him.

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Stalky for every time he tripped over the ball or doesn't chase the ball well enough (which was too often) he chested it down or flicked the ball on superbly. He was involved in all our best moves and was linked to everything we did well in the first half but people don't see that. He's just lazy, fat Birch because he doesn't run himself into the ground like Jorge.

If ever there was a man of the match performance that was it, Jorge was excellent. Every single fan and even every one of our players stopped and turned to Jorge to clap him off. I've never seen other players do that before. If only he had that same confidence and level of performance in the first division we'd still be there. They're only defenders Jorge at any level.

The difference for me was Broad and Zigor. Broad was excellent and must start again for me. The best was bought out of Bennett by playing Zigor. If you watch Zigor he helps organise us at the back quite a lot. He was shouting orders at Bennett which is what Emblen should be doing.

I was really pleased to see Bazeley and Osborn play so well. If Osborn was that committed and agressive every game I'd see him in a different light. You see? I can praise him when he deserves it and I see the good in players I just don't see it very often in him.

The one worry for me is Emblen. Whats going on in his head? Its only form as we all know how good he is but he must improve soon. How many more times will he stick his arm off for offside then realise the opposing striker isn't offside then not have time to catch him up and do what he's there to do and make a tackle.

Some Swindon fans on one of their sites said we are the best team we have played for years. If we can cut out individual errors and get some organisation from somewhere at the back then we will start to pick up more wins.

Beat Doncaster and the table will start to look more realistic methinks.

By 4two (195.93.34.9) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Emblen.... is it the captaincy a problem like it was for Adi Viveash.

I've said in the past i wouldn't mind Jorge Skippering the team. What an example he would said. Merse called him the ultimate pro after the game. Somone everyone at the club looks up2.

By Ludlow Dave (81.79.132.83) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Stunning fightback. Showed LOTS of character. I really hope this kickstarts us on to a good run now. Surely this can give them belief?
Paston continues to get better for me. Why callers to WM were going on about the keeper is beyond me-WHO DO THEY WANT US TO GET?
Our defense took 25 mins to settle. Continues to be a problem, the chap on here who reckons we need someone in the management team with a defensive mindset is spot on.
Our midfield impressed me today. Thought Broad did really well today - why hasn't he had a look in since pre-season, thought he was well worth his place. Osbourne, in my opinion played his best game in an age. Merson-in the hole role-was stunning for 65 mins, he probably didnt come off cus he remembered what happened at Bournemouth!? Wrack was okay - though he seems to have been practising free kicks - very close today again!
I wish we could bottle and sell the stuff that runs in Jorge's veins - he was stunning today. Every compliment he gets is deserved. Fantastic.
Birchy come in and did a job. I couldnt see much wrong with what he did, an assist and a goal, we should be pleased with that from him-we have seen alot worse from him.
When went down to Torquay Thurs, was hoping for 6 points over the 2 games, we all were I know. As it turns out we have 4. Seen two spirited team performances (albeit 2nd half only on sat), and good individual ones from certain players.

By Stu (195.92.67.70) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

I'm hoping that we can sign at least 1 centre half before the end of the week.

Emblen and Bennett looked susceptible every time they came forward, Emblen just doesn't seem to be able to cope with the pace of this game. He seems to want more time as if he is playing at a higher level.

Defensive shambles, but the performance as soon as we got our first goal is what I've been expecting off us all season. I know expect us to maintain that stanard.

Midfield looked good, Broad worked hard as did Wrack, Osborn was the best midfielder on the park and the best player, bar Leitao.

Jorge and Birch looked okay together, Birch had a very good first half. Unfortunately he went into hiding after a couple of mistakes in the 2nd and getting slaughtered by the crowd, which I thought was way OTT. Great to see him get the goal as it was a bloody good finish as well. Also nice to see Baze have a good game.

One dominating centre half who can organise, combined with repeating that last 60 minutes every week and we'll be where we all expected to be.

By Near post header (80.47.223.113) on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Whats the best posistion of the former Chelsea player we have on trial. Joel somebody. Is he a center half? Think Emblem could do with losing a few pounds to be honest, (though who couldnt?!).

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.65) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Great result, but we have to carry this into the next game, and the next. We've seen Birch have decent games before and then go on to not have another one for about 6 months, he has to contribute as a goalscorer and a creator of goals on a regular basis. Secondly, again it shows that even the better sides in this league are very beatable, but we have to cut out the "mad 15 minutes" as Merson called it. It was a mad 15 minutes against Oldham, and a mad 5 minutes against Bournemouth. If we are well organised and solid as a team this wouldn't happen. Until it stops it will cost us points.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

Im very pleased the side showed good character to come back from 2 down. I feel that it may be the catalyst to set us up for a good winning run.

However im VERY concerned with our centre halfs at the moment, particularly Emblen. I personally don't believe he is a natural centre back. He seems unable to read the game which gives him major problems due to his lack of pace. He does look out of shape too. He is so slow on turn it almost looks like a slow mo replay.

I thought Walsall adapted thier system slightly today by playing more of a diamond midfield with Osborn sitting just in front of the back 4 as an anchor man. I agree with others that it was the best game ive seen him play for us, thought he was great today.

Im far from a Gary Birch fan but i feel the criticism he has had after the game is totally unjustified. I thought he played quite well today and of course scored the goal and had a hand in the others. If he can do that every week, he will do for me, although as i say i still have my doubts.

Jorge was superb today, his work rate is second to none although at times i feel he works a little too hard. He does so much tracking back it tires him later in games. Id prefer him to conserve his energy more into forward runs because i feel that he can score loads of goals in this league.

I heard him on the radio after and he said, "i don't care about my goals as long as we win". I genuinly believe that. He is a credit to the game.

Lastly a word for Julian Bennett. Let us all remember here is a young guy with hardly any first team experience. He has played at both left back and centre back alongside players who are struggling for form ie Roper and Emblen. Under those circumstances i feel he has done very well. Ok, yes there are a couple of things he needs to improve on, but he is still learning the game, so please lets be patient

By Geoff Whiting (81.79.15.43) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

Sorry Stalky, but I can't let this go by without comment.

I'm no Birch fan but your comments about him today are just not objective. They just show you have no time for him and look for all the bad things. Yes we all saw him make mistakes and fail to get to a few balls that he might have done better with, but read what nearly everyone else is saying about him and clearly most of us appreciated his effort and contribution today.

I agree he also failed to get on the end of a couple of scoring opportunities, but in the end he did get on the end of one that really mattered, and for me it was a really instinctive reaction to a difficult chance that came very quickly and unexpectedly to him, and all credit to him for getting to it and winning the game for us with a fine goal.

OK, we all know he ain't the best forward in the league, but please give him a break when he plays well for Christ's sake. Or would you say that 95% of comments about him on this board today are wrong?

By Geoff Whiting (81.79.15.43) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

Spot-on post C&D. As for Jorge though, I know what you mean about his tracking back, in fact Merson has commented about the same thing recently. But Jorge's so willing, how do you hold him back - on a day like today he's just unstoppable? Fabulous performance from him today, just awesome.

The Emblen situation is odd, such a great contribution last season, yet so shaky right now, it seems impossible to explain. But maybe as Paston is now starting to look much more secure and settled, Bennett has the chance to settle into his favoured position, Zigor is (hopefully) back to his best, and Bazeley also showed massive improvement today, the basis of a regular defensive line-up is beginning to come together. If so, hopefully Emblen will fit in and regain his confidence in the players around him - I think that sort of trust is vital and has clearly been lacking lately.

Onwards and upwards from today's performance - hopefully!

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 07:30 am: Edit

Good to see that the BBC think Emblen scored a low drive to double Swindon's lead.

Also nice to read a Swindon post saying that Bazeley caused them all sorts of problems. Good that the oppo can find something positive to say about a player being kicked by so-called Walsall fans.

Great mental strength to win this game, but we should never have been two goals down to start with. Story of the season, and something we ought to be looking at. I have great faith in the ability of this team, but reckon there's a need for some defensive coaching, or team mentoring (i.e. remind midfield that they have an obligation in this area), to keep things on track.

Cheers all,
Exile

By Sydney Saddler (62.6.130.111) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

My first live game since December 2000. Enjoyed every second of the match but not sure about the 4-3-1-2 system that Paul Merson wants to employ.

PASTON - His kicking out of hand was good but he looked vulnerable with the ball at his feet during open play. Did not command the area. Very concerned if he is the pick of Walsall's keepers.

BAZELEY - Past his prime but thought that he had a decent game. Criticism seems somewhat harsh.

ARANALDE - Same old, same old. Excellent on the attack but a definite weak link on the retreat.

EMBLEN - Worst player on the pitch. Looked slow, particularly on the turn. Strange choice as the team captain as he was not vocal on the park.

BENNETT - Promising in the circumstances. Thought that he played well alongside Emblen and in front of a nervous keeper. Certainly worth keeping in the team for the next couple months or so.

BROAD - Tidy but some of his short dinks did not find their targets. A pass grade but nothing more.

WRACK - Cannot believe some of the folks slagging off Wracky. Missed a first-half sitter and a fair second-half chance but had a good game other than those two wasted opportunities. Better than Broad.

OSBORN - Excellent second-half performance but it was the poisoned chalice playing the holding role in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Whoever played there was going to get slaughtered from time to time. The club needs a Edgar Davids-type midfielder animal if Merson is going to persist with such a system.

MERSON - Great when the ball was at his feet but a liability when Walsall lost possession. Time to open a can of worms. Am I the only person who think that he prefers the 4-3-1-2 formation (which looked like 4-3-3 for most of the Swindon game) because he absolves him of defensive duties?

BIRCH - Thought he was ordinary. Would have liked to have seen him put himself about more. Did not hear anyone boo him in the HL Fellows Stand but fair to say that the crowd around me and my kid were not fans. Think that it is a perceived lack of application that is his biggest image problem.

LEITAO - Superb. Even my ten-month-old kid got off his bum when Leitao left the field. Excellent work ethic and a handful for any defender at this level. Should be captain, of that there is no doubt.

SUMMARY - Think Walsall can go up if Merson takes a long hard look at the team (and himself) before it is too late. Not advocating dropping Merson but, if he is to play, then Walsall needs to put another central defensive midfielder in the side to assist Osborn. A bit more pace up front would also work wonders, so that means benching Birch.

No worries,

Sydney Saddler

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Too bloody right, sport! One of my major complaints has been the fact we haven't (seemingly) even tried to get a good defensive midfielder.
I'll excuse your comments about Broad, though, as you won't realise what he adds to the formation over the exiting attacker but defensive liability that is Daryl Taylor.

By Sydney Saddler (62.6.130.111) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

Not saying that Broad was not worth his place in the team. Just thought that he had an ordinary game. Would like to see Taylor and Wrack play wide with Osborn and Kinsella in the centre of midfield. Maybe that means playing 4-4-1-1, with Merson just off Leitao. So long as the wingers penetrate, which I am confident that Taylor and Wrack would at this level, then 4-4-1-1 is my idea of the way to go. My best team follows:

Paston; Bazeley, Roper, Bennett, Aranalde; Taylor, Osborn, Kinsella, Wrack; Merson; Leitao.

Walsall will not go up playing the same players and formation as it did against Swindon. It will drop too many points to inferior opponents.

No worries,

Sydney Saddler

By BABELKO (194.128.85.65) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:38 am: Edit

Im so glad Birch scored he deserved it, people keep moaning about him but they fail to realise that he holds the ball up for jorge,fryatt. i was so pi s sed off when they sang jorge when birch scored there was no need he got the goal not jorge. I agree jorge was outstanding but give Birch a little support at least! He also made the first goal, get off his back. I was disgusted to hear a mindless walsall fan shouting DIE BIRCH DIE. That to me proved what kind of fans walsall have got, moan moan moan. If u dont like it dont come. I dont like every player but i dont sit there for 90mins slagging them off, I went to torquay saturday and there was stupid Walsall fans shouting abuse at Patson, that is not going help his confidence at all (and he played well) Emblen was poor again yesterday but the fans were to busy running Birch down to notice that!

By Jorge14 (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:59 am: Edit

I suppose all Birchy did yesterday was earn us 2 points...

Why are Walsall fans so fickle? Fryatt didn't do much at all against Barnsley - don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Fryatt fan - but he didn't win a header, didn't create a goal, but scored one, so I'm happy. I didn't come on here to criticise him for not winning a header all day. If I had of done that I would have got a bucket load of stick.

So why do that to Birch? He had a good game, and I think it helps me seeing him close up in the first half, because yesterday, he won nearly everything.

But all he did was score ay?

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

By the way, did anyone also notice a telling thing about yesterday? With the exception of Bennett, it was by far the most experienced (if not oldest) side we've played this season. We can't place an over reliance on the kids.

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

Jorge, it wasn't all he did was score. They seem to forget it was his shot that led to the first goal, he was then involved in the build up to the 2nd and scored the 3rd.

So, one direct assist, one in-direct assist and one goal. And folk still complain?

One bloke sitting behind me did actually say that Birch could score 10 goals and he'd still hate him. Didn't quite understand that personally.

By Geoff Whiting (81.76.40.77) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

On the whole, I think Birch has been getting a pretty fair and appreciative response on this board since yesterday's game.

There's the odd one or two who, as I said elsewhere, would still slate him even if he scored a triple hat-trick and set up the other 6 in a 15-0 win, but over the years we've always had some of those kind of fans, just ask Martin Butler! Once they take a dislike for someone, there's just no shifting it - shame really because they just don't realise how much harm they can do from the terraces (seats).

I like Fryatt, but I doubt if he'd have held the ball up like Birch managed to do yesterday, and he certainly wouldn't have won so much in the air, so maybe that 2-0 deficit just may not have been pulled back without Birch in the side yesterday. Fair play to him, he can build on yesterday, and a few more performances like that should surely win the fans over - I just hope he realises that himself.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.37) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Anyone else notice? The lack of coverage of walsall goals this season. When I have put skysports news on of a saturday night or last night for instance at about 11.45 you see all leaue one goals except for ours. That has happened 4 times already this season. Either our "media team" cant send film or sky cant be bothered. It really is annoying when you want to see your clubs goals.

By ShropshireSaddler (195.92.168.177) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

I noticed that as well wfc_2uk. Sat down with my cup of tea last night to see the highlights from our division and no sign of our great game.No explanation from Sky either. The cynic in me says that we probably try to make extra money out of the highlights which Sky won't pay - how cynical is that, see what being a Walsall fan does to you

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

It get's you like that sometimes, doesn't it ? Sometimes I have to say to myself "Don't be so cynical". Trouble is, all too often they make it all too easy.

By the way, Shropshire. I drove past your place last week. It's good to see the Walsall flag flying proudly in such a prominent position. My eldest lad (5) was chuffed to see a Walsall flag flying so far away from home (when you're 5 anywhere outside your own street feels miles away from home )

By WSOne (81.178.204.121) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Sky Sports are great but they never show Walsall goals. It pisses me off! They even show highlights of games that ended 0-0 but never any of our five goal thrillers! Probably because Chris 'The Clown' Kamara hates us. Well Chris we hate you too!

By Cal's a saddler (81.131.49.41) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:23 pm: Edit

I don't think they show any goals from the Divisions now only the Championship. Sunday mornings were great for being able to get up and watch ALL the goals from the different divisions now we just get to see the "best" ones. Surely they have the time to put them all on?

By cat3 (203.218.194.76) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Let's keep this winning spirit going!!!

By Magic Man Fan (81.156.107.240) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I think they tend to show the goals for the teams in the top 6 or 8 in the league so we'll soon see them every week.

All goals from our division were on Sky on Sunday night including the tackles for Roper's sending off at Torquay.

By Jolly Johnny (195.93.34.9) on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Wow, what a game - certainly worth the entrance fee, but the crowd? Very dissapointing to only get 5951 on a Bank Holiday against one of the more fancied / 'name' teams in the division.

After 24 mins I thought why the hell did I bother as I had belted down from Manchester and only just got there in time, but all good in the end.
If you forget the first 24 mins it's the best we've played going forward for a long long time. At times we looked very slick and could of scored 6 with better finishing and luck.

2nd half we were more in control of the game but still looked a bit dicey at the back as someone else mentiond earlier. But we deserved this win as we put real effort in, which we haven't seen at times this season and hopefully this will now set us up for more consistent performances.

Spot on Neil about line up, much more experienced which we needed. I was glad to see even the bench was experienced (except Tai) and that Leeroy had been given a rest, he hadn't looked good the last few ganes he'd played in.

Loads of good performances but I think Jorge, Ziggy, Paston and Ossie were our best four across the whole game. Broad did well and had 2 or 3 good runs, although quiet at times. Merse looked much more interested today and influential. Glad Birchy got his goal. Bazeley also did well...shock horror!!

One or two concerns still. Emblen looked a bit unsure / not up to the game. Someone mentioned the burden of captaincy earlier - maybe this is a good point. He wasn't really very vocal in the game (Did you hear Merse have a right spaz at Bazeley after a throw in!!!) The likes of Ossie, Kinsella may be a better option to captain.

We still seem to head the ball out of our defence, either not far enough and straight up and / or it goes to their players all the time. We don't win enough second ball and this does put pressure on us at times. Something to look at in training maybe?

Wrack got more involved second half and, of course, had that free kick agony, but, as he has said himself, he hasn't had a good start to the season and he should be showing more of himself in this league.

Finally, we still seem to need someone to play on the left in midfield. Gareth Barry was in the stand today (Standing's mate from villa days i think - they were bantering while Standing warmed up) - maybe we could snap him up...hahahahahahahah aha...sorry I've just killed myself at how completely daft that is!!! More chance of George Bush getting an honorary degree from Oxbridge, wherever that is.

By Near post header (80.47.194.89) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

The collective terms for Oxford and Cambridge universities. He could easily get an honorary degree because they are given out like sweets to celebrities.

By Jolly Johnny (82.108.114.202) on Saturday, September 04, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

NPH - don't worry I know where 'Oxbridge' university is - it was an old Alan Partridge joke which I guess is only funny to me!

Return to 2004-05 Season