Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Sheff Wed (h) - League - 11th September 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Sheff Wed (h) - League - 11th September 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:49 am

By Joe90 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Bollocks. 1-0

By Joe90 (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

1-1 Come on boys

By rolo (82.37.185.161) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

our reserves lose 1-0 to wednesday.our first team draw 1-1.and we are the best team in the league.i think not.sort it merson

By WSOne (81.178.198.165) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Fair result although we should have won in the end. Wednesday are a decent side and had plenty of chances to snatch all three points. I thought that Standing had a good first half and of course he scored our goal. Dakinah was not that impressive but Emblen was magnificent when he came on. Maybe not being captain took off some of the pressure? Bennett played well again and Bewers had a good debut but he did look exhausted at times. Shame we only got a point but still unbeaten at home so not all bad!

By red until im dead (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Personally i thought Dakinah was ok wasnt spectacular but didnt do much wrong.
Bewers showed he could do a decent job for us again not spectacular.
A few dodgy moments by Paston but i think the swirling wind played a big part in that but a couple of top draw saves the guy is coming good keep it up Mark.

By Shad (195.92.168.171) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Another good performence from jorge as well as some others. Im getting more confident in Paston by the week. I prefer Bazely at defence. Hopefully Brewers can prove other wise when he gets his fitness up. Also I dont quite understand all the critisim Zigor got today, although its probly just because birch wasnt playing.

If we are to be getting out of this division this season we should be beating the likes of Sheff Wed at home.

But my main concern is the taste in music at bescot. Not only did they insist on playing Jump Around twice before kick off but Hi Ho Silver Lining Aswell? Wats going on at bescot nowadays?

By andy_vh (195.92.168.165) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

i think bewers showed that he needs a few games as u can tell hes not been playing lately, but the promise is definately there. i would of brought on taylor rather than merse, a bit of pace would of been interesting in the final 20 or so. Emblem was super and kinsella made a couple of great tackles in our box with one certainly stoping them going 2-1 up. sheff looked poor but at least we only let 1 in and can build on that. Paston looking better all the time he needs a run of 10 games then he will look his best.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.66) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Oh well, that was the worst performance I've seen from us this season, very poor indeed. (The only games I've missed have been our two defeats so perhaps they were worse, who knows.)

Once again we had a shambolic opening 20 minutes, until we scored we were all over the place. It was a very peculiar team selection and not the right one. Merson simply has to play the home games, he creates so much for us. How many of our many, many goals this season have come through him, either direct assists or where he's had a big hand in them? Quite a lot I would suggest.

Paston - wasn't helped by the conditions but made some good saves. Thought he might have done better with their goal. What a surprise, it came from a ridiculous defensive mistake, though it would be harsh to blame the keeper - so I'll blame Julian Bennett, since his awful header put us in all sorts of bother
Bewers - well, he's obviously short of match fitness. He did a few nice things and if he gets better as he gets used to playing then he'll be good. But if not, I prefer Bazeley.
Aranalde - OK, but made a few basic errors again which put us in trouble, and his crossing was terrible
Dakinah - difficult to tell - didn't do much wrong, but then didn't do much of anything
Bennett - he was clearly at fault for our goal but he generally did well
Kinsella - his best game for us, the rest seems to have done him good, and he made a world-class tackle in our own box in the second half which took the breath away
Osborn - usual stuff, gets from box to box all the time, neat and tidy again
Wrack - did some nice things but I'm finding him frustrating to watch this season because he's just not playing to his potential
Standing - his best game by far, but he's not really skilful enough to play right behind the strikers - only Merson is for us
Leitao - a shadow of his usual self
Williams - I assume Birch must have been injured which necessitated his inclusion, but he's not up to playing at this standard yet, nowhere near in fact. He only really thrived when Merson came on

Emblen - back to his best, but his big problem is that we defend so far up the pitch and he's got no pace, which makes it very difficult for him
Merson - made us buzz without doing all that much - which is the clearest sign to me that he needs to be playing when we're at home
Fryatt - looked tired, which is unsurprising

Wednesday looked like they were playing for a point which they got, but they really weren't very good at all. Our problem was that neither were we. They were there for the taking and we should have taken them. If Merson had started and we'd had Birch instead of Williams (or indeed Fryatt had been fully fit) I'm sure we would have won the game. In fact, if only it had gone on five or ten minutes longer then we would have scored. But it didn't and we didn't.

Two points lost for sure. Can't afford for this to keep happening. An away game next and I'm sure there'll be changes again, presumably with Fryatt returning to the starting line up and Emblen as well. Maybe Aranalde will be dropped again. We'll see.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Wednesday are a decent side? They are, without a shadow of a doubt, easily the worst side I've seen at Bescot this season, came for a point and got it.
At one point in the second half, after Merson came on, all four midfielders were in a straight line about 30 yards long up the pitch! I have never seen a team play with so little width in my life. Sort it out now!

Crap game and two more points thrown away.

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

...and there speaks a w*****. Well said Neil.

By Dave Gittins (195.92.168.168) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Very poor game today. Apart from the 10 minute spell just before half time we did very little in and around the box. I would say I have to agree with Bristol that we missed Birch today (did I really say that?)His physical presence would have worried Wednesday. I am getting happier about Paston the more I see of him. Okay, he made a couple of errors but he also commanded his area a lot better and the defence have obviously got more confidence in him now.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

A bit of a minority there eh, Steve?

By Shad (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Bristol:- Bennett was clearly at fault for OUR goal??

In my view- we need to get 4-4-2 back. The full backs are too often exposed leaving them with 2 players to mark, which leads to unneeded critisim off them.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

That was nothing short of pathetic. Paul Merson has to be sacked NOW. I say this with almighty sadness because i desperately wanted Paul to be a success. Ive heard a solid rumour within the club that Merson is on borrowed time. I dearly hope that is the case because only then can this club move forward.

Merson is tactically clueless. In fact he is so tactically inept it brings me to laughter at some of his decisions. How the hell can he continue with this pathetically cack 4-3-1-2 system. Any person irrespective of football knowledge can see how wrong it really is but MERSON.

He has now used every player in what seems like every position. Do you know why? cus he is desperate. He doesn't have the conviction or the foresight to realise what his best team is. That worries me because it's not as if he's just come into the club, he has played with all these players for over a year now, even the ones he has bought in.

Time for damage limitation NOW Mr Bonsor before it's too late. Time to sack Merson and his joke backroom staff that consist of a referee assessor (iffy) and a has been physio who is amazingly our assistant manager. It sounds to daft for words, thats cus it is.

By Shad (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

I agreed with that post................ ................ well the first 6 words anyway.

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Neil. If SUPPORTING Walsall places me in the minority then so be it. I'm used to 'having it' off Dingles, Baggies, and Villians etc, but I find it a tad sick when 'so called' Walsall supporters continually stick the knife into their own club. It's even more disgusting when those who are sticking the knife only turn up on a part time basis.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.74) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

"That was nothing short of pathetic." If only those words had ended your post you would have saved a lot of people a lot of time using them in descrption of it.

However, we were certainly poor today. But you have to say, if Merson & Birch had played we'd have won.

By WSOne (81.178.198.165) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Yeah we have lost two points Neil but they could have taken all three! Wednesday have some good players and in my opinion are one of the better teams in our league. We will probably see far worse teams at Bescot this season but I agree both sides were poor today.

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

And don't forget that Wednesday spent a great deal of cash assembling that team. A damn sight more than Merson could ever dream of spending.

By Shad (195.92.168.164) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

I wouldnt say they are one of the bette teams in the league from what i have seen today.

But Steve is right- they have had a lot of cash to get the players in.

By rugeley (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Bewers was pathetic today. He did not mark, he did not cover, he made about two tackles, he left our defence exposed time and again, but he made very little contribution to our attacks. He was clearly unfit. His track record is abysmal. What was he doing on the pitch for ninety minutes?

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Rugeley, BECAUSE WE CAN'T AFFORD ANYTHING ANY BETTER. Sows ears and silk purses spring to mind.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

A message for red till im dead and Andy Vh. Now i know the game is made up of opinions but if you both believe that Dakinah and Bewers show promise, you are either blind or perhaps better served doing something else on a saturday afternoon, if only to save your money.

Dakinah and Bewers are probably 2 of the worst pro footballers ive ever seen. In fact i could probably take you to a sunday league game and find you better than them 2. They are both truly awful. If that is Mersons idea of a couple of decent signings then he IS simply an awful judge of a player

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Very harsh there rugeley. As I've already said he was clearly unfit but I think he had the makings of a decent player when he does get fit. Considering he hadn't played with any of those players before and the fact that we have been defending so poorly as a unit anyway, I feel that withi him playing we certainly defended better than we have done previously. He also put a number of hard, accurate crosses over that instead of floating behind the goal like most of Bazeleys do actually found one of our players.

Track record has nothing to do with it. Its what he does for us that counts.

By Steve Sheldon (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Spot on MMF.

C&D, you're obviously Sj. Keep it up.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.65.154) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:38 pm: Edit

Could I ask why we are playing players that are "clearly unfit"?

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

Whats all this crap of me been Sj. Ive read it too many times now, it's getting silly. Im not sj.

By MR D DOFFER (217.137.92.22) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

Doffer here

ref cox-in-dummie ( so called saddler )

Your comments about Merson and his backroom staff are utter garbage, we all know this is Merson"s 1st managerial role and he certainly is on a learning curve, but after 8 games in this division you are calling for his head - absolutely unreal comments from a so-called saddler.
I was at Bournemouth when he made a pigs ear in his choice of subs, was there to witness the ineptitude from his side in the 1st half at torquay and thank god I did not go to Doncaster, but he is learning and if Bonser had your intelligence, then he definately would"nt be a milloinaire, he be running a taxi firm in florida keys.
I still think he can do a good job @ Bescot,ok Let"s sack him, bring some other guy in and after another 8 games you can come on this message board with the same *hite comments and want his head on a platter too.

Keep the dummie in your mouth because soon as you open it, it reeks of *hite, as do your comments

DOFFER

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.209) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Another mediocre result in a season of mediocrity. Dress it up how you want Merson groupies, we are 18th in division 3, its pathetic.
Why did Fryatt nor start? Bristol/ Your favourite word is "feck" is it not? Why the "feck" should Fryatt be "understandably" tired? Fecking explain that to me? the fact that he wasn't in the fecking team is a fecking disgrace. And by the way I've seen our fecking defeats away from home, and if you thought today was bad i'd say you were fecking lucky. Now lets have some really witty sarcastic fecking twits off rivals under fecking annonymous user names going on about how great averything fecking is. FECKING GREAT INNIT?????

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Good point Sheff. I think there's more than one player who doesn't look as fit as they should be which is concerning considering we have a physio and a fitness expert who are highly trained in these matters.

Even so an unfit Bewer still looked like he could be better than Bazeley.

By Surreysaddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:18 am: Edit

Well said Doffer. People on this site at the moment are in a state of denial. We were relegated- remember. That means we were not good enough for Div 1(of old). Now we are starting again and rebuilding. Time will tell.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.83.121) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:25 am: Edit

Geordie mate we are 18th in the league correct. But we are only FIVE points from 2nd. This league is too close, you win one you go to 6th you lose on and your 20th its too damn close.
I agree with alot we are looking a little worrying but lets carry on supporting the lads because I for one is enjoying seeing some youth come through. We (the majority) said it would take a couple of seasons to get back but when we do it will be worth it with or without merse at the helm.

Chesterfield is a stone throw away so lets fill the terrace and sing the lads to the first away win. I aint pressing the panic button yet.

P.S its a marathon not a sprint!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.184.112) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:27 am: Edit

Surrey - Have you noticed something? We have won 1 match from the last 7 in the league. We have picked up 2 points from away trips to Bournemouth, Oldham, Torquay and Doncaster. Not exactly the best teams in the division.
I agree with Cox to be honest in a way.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

If i genuinly believed that Paul Merson could get things right then i would not be calling for his head. The fact is i don't think he is a capable manager from what i have seen. What do you want me to do, lie?

We have a complete lack of discipline at the club, the players seem to lack fitness. The players seem to lack motivation. The formation is totally wrong, everyone knows it but Merson. He drops his top scorer in Fryatt. Why?

He is incapable of organising a settled side. He is playing square pegs in round holes. He drops players for the sake of it ie both the Taylors and Fryatt, why? He seems to pick players for the sake of it without any justification ie Birch, Osborn etc etc.

Face it Doffer the man hasn't a clue what he is doing. Face it we are 18th in division 3. We are defending like school girls. In my eyes Merson already has lost the dressing room and the respect of his players as a manager. It's there for all to see. I only hope Bonsor does SOON.

As for you lot saying Merson is on a learning curve. Well if he doesn't know that 4-3-1-2 is a pathetic formation after 15 years plus as a player, then im sorry, he is obviously incapable of learning.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.184.112) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

And added to that got rid of of Corica last week, one of the only 2 players at the club who can play in behind the front 2.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:58 am: Edit

If any of you still need to be convinced that Paul Merson is a clueless manager other than what i have already stated he actually said on a recent radio interview and i quote " it's OK if we go a couple of goals down early in the game because you still have time to pull it back"

Yes he said that. Amazing isn't it? Do you really want a manager at the helm of our football club with that ridiculous child like mindset?

By JPD (203.18.34.5) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:46 am: Edit

Nice post Doffer.

By sj (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:12 am: Edit

And I'm not Coxy.

By Manchester Saddler (80.5.160.4) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:47 am: Edit

Of course you are!

By culley (62.255.32.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:52 am: Edit

Not sure about Bewers and Dakinah, perhaps it was a mistake to introduce three players for their full debut in the same game. I thought Williams, although showing promise, would have been better on the subs bench; cannot understand why Merson decided not to start with either Birch or Fryatt up front, they both are capable of holding the ball up and allowing the midfielders to support the attack. Aranalde once more underlined his inept qualities, after 3 promising contacts; a tackle, a pass and then a header in the space of 3 minutes I thought things were definately looking up until he reverted to his usual headless chicken mode for the remainder of the match, please stop picking him Mr Merson it is just not funny any more. Nice to see Neil Emblem back in form after a dissapointing last few games.
I suppose like most Walsall fans, by the time next Saturday comes around I will have put the memories of todays poor game with the rest of all those crap games over the past 30 years, in some part of my brain never to be retrieved. It really is back to the 3rd division of old, nothing changes. Does anybody remember standing on the terraces at Chesterfield, oh I forgot, I'll be there next week then I can remember again to my suffering sons and tell them how it used to be and how things are going to get better for Walsall and we all lived happily ever afterwards!

By aol member (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:58 am: Edit

Just because we have the same IP does not mean we are the same person. I assume that C&D and sj also have AOL broadband.

By Bristol Fan (195.92.67.66) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

Geordie, I'm not sure I've ever said feck in my life so you must be getting me confused with someone else. The reason Fryatt was understandably tired is that he's been away with England U-19s and didn't get home until 4:30 on Friday afternoon so had no training with Walsall all week.

By red until im dead (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

cox and bummer i tell u something better i could do on a saturday afternoon find you on a saturday afternoon in bescot and give you the biggest kicking you could imagine you pr!ck of a person.
come on here again slagging me off and i will find you out and do the above beleive me.
you know as much about football as you do about making money you idiot.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

There some to be some sort of strange opinin being expressed that if you criticise Merson, you aren't a supporter. This is even stranger as some of the people saying this never let off criticising the previous incumbent.
Not shouting for the team on a Staturday is not supporting, booing players isn't supporting, criticising the manager, who is paid to take the stick, is caring!

By Sound_out (81.157.57.19) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

Meson should be given till Christmas to see if he can get the team up the division. If at this time there is not improvement then IMO he should be asked to stand down. It is my belief that Bonser will do this. Until then we should support PM though I don’t see the problem with people airing their grievances on this board.

Watch it coxy, the 'ard man of WFC' is on the board this morning. ooooh he's gona find you in the match - scary stuff red until i'm dead, I bet that’s sending shivers down coxy’s spine – fecking dick.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

I'm only disagreeing about the timing. Personally, I want to see some improvement by the end of October. We certainly should be in touch with the top six by Christmas.

By spinner (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:13 am: Edit

What no-one is mentioning is that it is should be no surprise that Merson is making a mess of being Walsall manager. He is unfortunately suffering from a major out-of-control addiction. How can he be expected to sustain the pressures of managing a league club while having to face the daily ordeal of a gambling addiction.

Nine months ago a domestic situation over addiction led to him having to be put into the cells to protect his wife, six months ago he had to spend a month in a clinic, three months ago he was losing tens of thousands a week on absurd bets.

It was unfair of Bonser to give him the job so soon after coming out of the clinic. Obviously Merson's judgement is going to affected by the emotional turmoil the addiction is causing him.

By theotherbournemouthsaddler (195.92.67.76) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

For some reason couldnt get the "home" commentary to work so had to make do with the Wednesday side of things. We sounded very poor in the first 20 minutes or so, they said our central defence were shambolic and we were very very poor and there for the taking. Oh dear. oddly enough they also said the worst thing that happened was Dakinah getting injured cos Emblen seemed to make a difference. Commentary seemed to change from "We're gonna win this" to "its anyones game" to "things are really nervy now". And yet, they were still annoyed with a point saying "we should be getting all 3 points from the likes of Walsall", which not only sounded arrogant, but sounded like us last week! They were •••• scared of Merson and seemed to like Standing. Can't really add anything else as wasn't there, but can anyone tell me if the balti pies have improved. Had one first game of the season and it was like a brick!

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

Bristol. Is getting home at 4.30 on Friday afternoon, presumabley having had Friday Off to complete a two hour journey make you tired? He could have gone to bed at 5pm if he was tired. If Chelsea had played their players who did not go on international duty yesterday they would have fielded three men. Not playing Fryatt due to tiredness is an unbelivable decision, your defence of PM and the resoning behind your argument is even more baffling. Does not training with the team for a few days suddenly make you incapable of playing?

WFC-2K, I DO NOT NEED TO BE TOLD TO CARRY ON SUPPORTING THE LADS - how many times??
I'll be at Chesterfield next week supporting them, and I demand some decent team selection, decent tactics, a decent performance, and a win. If this time next week we havn't achieved that then like Coxy says it ain't gonna happen under Merson. We have lost to Oldham and Doncaster, drawn with Torquay, if we fail to beat Chesterfield then we will not win promotion with this set up. If Merson sees the light and starts doing things completely differently then great, but if he carries on what he is doing we are going nowhere I'm afraid. The fact that we are only five points off promotion means that things need to be changed sooner rather than later while we still have a chance of catching up, ala the season Hibbit went. More worrying at the moment is the fact that we are 4 points, and 3 places off relegation.

By markw (217.42.95.36) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Still at least Birch and Baze probably had a nice saturday afternoon in the pub watching the scores come in hoping not to be drawn out of the hat to play next week.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Ahhh, but your forgetting markw next week's cunning plan has already been hatched. Of course its all hush hush at the moment but apparently those of us who were dissapointed at Doncaster are all going to be wonderfully suprised at Saltergate according to PM. Why do I have this horrible feeling that we are going there to try to nick a point?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.171) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:59 pm: Edit

Just had a look at the league table. We've now played, and failed to beat, 5 teams that are currently in the bottom half of the league, 3 of whom are below us. And this is supposed to be a promotion push? You have to laugh really.

By Markw (217.42.95.49) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Sorry Geordie,I forgot the envelope in the draw with the Chesterfield eleven inside.
After next weeks disaster maybe they will be referred to as the Chesterfield eleven in the clubs history books.

By 4two (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

I think Standing and Wrack give us a lot of midfield energy. I would quite like to see a 4-4-2 with Broad and Standing the two central players. Wrack and ________ (K Taylor, D Taylor, M Wright, L Williams,) as wide men.

Energy is the thing we need for how Merse wants to play. Kinsella, Merson and Ossie are great footballers. But they ain't got the energy to play the high tempo attacking play that Merse wants.

Lets be honest. Merson is passenger number 10 for most of the game bar 1 or 2 good flicks or runs. That is the view coming from one of his biggest fans and believers.

By Stu (195.92.67.78) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

4two, the match degenerated into an absolute farce as soon as Osborn went off yesterday.

The first 70 minutes wasn't much, but we couldn't even keep the ball on the deck when Osborn went off.

What worries me most is that our performances are getting worse, not better. Bottom 8 and to be honest, I can't see us getting much better unless somebody really bucks their ideas up.

Yet, if I'm searching for any glimpse of hope, its that we're still only 5pts off 2nd place.

By red until im dead (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

sound out please dont p!ss me off you gobby pr!ck i realise that coxs cox is so far up ur a$$ it makes you smile.
is he using his millions of pounds to buy mates now tou are both knob heads on this board and would really love to meet both of you together if you wish

By PGtips (62.31.219.61) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Agree about osborn. The longer the game went on the more we looked likely to lose it I'm afraid.

A glimpse of hope... the offside trap worked well yesterday. Emblem was back in top form but if the MOTM goes to someone who only had an hour on the pitch it does not say much for the rest of the side. Dakinah is a joke, Bewers is unfit and Williams 12-18 months away from being a first team player. To play all three in one starting line up is desperate, naive, insane - perhaps all three.

By Fensaddler (212.248.151.210) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

I have a horrible feeling I was at a different match to the rest of you yesterday. My abiding view was that we had corrected some of the obvious flaws evident earlier in the season, particularly in taking some control in midfield, and looking far more composed in defence. We didn't do enough up front, and I think playing Williams was probably not the right choice, but we had more chances than the opposition, looked the better side, and with a little more composure in front of goal, could have won it. We gave them a little too much space, and backed off too much at times, but we looked considerably more organised particularly defending, than I have seen all season. The results aren't great, and at the moment I have to say this looks more like a rebuilding season, laying the foundations for a fine young side, than it does a promotion push. But I saw pelnty of positives there, which means I am evidently deluded, on the basis of the pessimism elsewhere on here.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Ignoring Fensaddler (I'm not trying to be rude, honest) I thought Osborn was the only one trying to give us any width as well. He was wandering out to the right wing in the second half. Getting back to Fensaddler, that's the point isn't it? Merson says we are going up as Champions and this season isn't about rebuilding at all.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

I agree with Fensaddler although perhaps not the plenty of positives comment.

We were definitely better at the back which has to be a positive as its been our main problem all season. OK so they didn't test us as often as they should have done but there was better understanding there between them when Emblen came on.

However, with the growing performances of Bennett I really think its time to move to a 3-5-2 which would also give us the opportunity to play Osborn and Kinsella to protect the defence a bit more.

Paston

Emblen
Roper
Bennett

Kris Taylor
Osborn
Kinsella
Standing
Wrack

Jorge
Fryatt

This would also give us more width which is what we're lacking, especially when defending. If we're playing well with this team but lacking a cutting edge we could try bringing Merson or Daryl Taylor on for 15-20 minutes to try and grab a goal but at least we'd be keeping it tight until then.

I know we tried it pre season and it clearly didn't work but Zigor wasn't comfortable there and Emblen and Ropes were out of form which they have been up till now. Bennett has been impressive since and with Emblen back to form and hopefully Ropes form also to follow we would be better defensively but still have enough going forward.

By Stu (195.92.67.78) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Fenn, neither side looked remotely good yesterday. They had the majority of possession but showed no will to win the game.

The goal apart, the only clear cut chances I can remember where Jorge's which scraped the post. If that had been the 6 inches further inside, then the keeper had it covered. And Wrack's miss of the season attempt.

That Nsungu geezer had two clear cut chances alone in the last 15 minutes. The header he missed was awful.

You then contradict yourself by saying we took control of the middle yet gave them too much space and backed off too much? For me, they had the midfield as soon as Osborn went off and they weren't exactly being dominated by us before then.

Yes, we corrected the defensive flaws. But then again, they hardly tried to attack us. They settled for a point and played 1 man up front supported by two wider players in Proudlock and Smith. 1 man shouldn't cause us problems.

Also correcting those defensive flaws appeared to restrict us offensively.

I see Merson's comments are that he was very disappointed with that performance, he wasn't at all impressed and rightly so.

I saw two bottom half sides at best playing out there.

By Sound_out (81.157.57.19) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

You'd 'love to meet the both of us together', red until I’m dead? I bet you would yer big gay bear. Sounds like it’s you 'ard man' who knows what coxys feel like. Who's the gob cack too, yer mouthy illiterate twerp?!

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.235) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

"There some to be some sort of strange opinin being expressed that if you criticise Merson, you aren't a supporter. This is even stranger as some of the people saying this never let off criticising the previous incumbent.
Not shouting for the team on a Staturday is not supporting, booing players isn't supporting, criticising the manager, who is paid to take the stick, is caring"
WHY NEIL was I and a few others told we didnt support the club so many times last season because we didnt agree with Clown Lee. Neil I agree merse is struggling but you are a very naieve man to give him until the end of october when you constantly told me things would change with CL and it was wrong for me to say he was on borrowed time.
If Clown lee hadnt spent the majority of this seasons budget we might have a better squad. The players that are loosing us down this season are the same bunch of to$$ the clown couldnt get the best out of.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.235) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

and while im looking in the archives heres a quote from a norwich fan maybe you "supporters" had better take note due to fortress bescot being a morgue for the majority of games.

Don't give up on them though, there was a great atmosphere and even at the opposite end we could hear your supporters singing, they were a credit to your club. The Norwich fans used to really moan and whinge, we started to get behind them on our run to Cardiff two seasons ago and it just snowballed from there. My message is keep singing and supporting even when the chips are down. I am sure that if you create that many chances you will easily stay in Div one, good luck, see you in a couple of seasons!

Dont give up on the team

well most of them have mate!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Yes, but that's in the past and it's what happens now that matters. I am being asked to take on faith that man with no experience and no track record of any sucess will succeed at a job. "He'll get it right in the end" I'm told. Why? Has he a God given right to? Is there any evidence that things are getting any better? He's played under great managers, at the highest level, so he must be good, I am told. Why? So had Hurst, Charlton, Moore, Stiles and many others. What have they got in common? They were cack managers. What, other than being great managers have Clough, Shankley, Busby and Ferguson in common? They were good, but not great players. (Well, Clough might have been, if he hadn't had to retire early). I want to see results and I just ain't. In fact, over the last few games, I am watching a side in relegation form that the manager says will win the Championship.
Your final setance is, of course, complete nonsense, as Merson says he wouldn't swop any of them for any other players in this Division, so, if they really are cr&p, he can't judge a player either!

By Fensaddler (82.37.168.184) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

I think we'll be lucky to get promoted this season, to be honest, though if we could bottle what we produced for the last hour of the Swindon game, and play like that every game, we would be in with a shout. So the problem is as much consistency as anything. How to cure it, I don't know, and I'd not want Merson's job to be frank. But a worthless season as a result - no chance. Merson still has to prove it as a manager for me, but while he's trying, we're building a squad of really talented young players, the best we've had for years, which if we can keep them together, will be a hell of a force in a couple of years. We seem finally to have found the knack of bringing on young players, something we were awful at before, and we're also signing younger players. All of that makes me very hopeful, even if we are in this league next season.

Stu, agreed, Nsungu rattled us a couple of times, but I still feel we had the better of the match and of the chances. We missed sitters too, though that header was quite brilliantly poorly executed. Overall, we seemed far more organised in midfield and defence - and won the 50-50 balls far better. We also got useful tackles in both in midfield and defence, which broke up their play - and some credit needs to be given because we didn't give them that much to play with. Even so, there were times when we gave them too much space, particularly in the second half on our left, where their right sided midfielder frequently found himself with too much space for my comfort. We did lose our shape when Osborn went off (so some credit to him for unsung work), just when I thought, by bringing Merson and Fryatt on, we would really go for them and take the match - which was definitely on at that stage.

But I really don't share the mood of fury and gloom - perhaps because I always felt that this wasn't likely to be any more than a season of rebuilding, despite Merson's expectations. In the end, that false over-expectancy may be what will do for him. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my football, and enjoying bringing my daughter to watch with me. I know its heresy to say it here, but its only a game, and we really would be miserable if we lived for glory and watched Walsall every week.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Fensaddler, I think the frustration with yesterday (certainly in my case) was that Sheffield Wednesday were such a poor side. I thought they were easily the worst side we have seen at Bescot this season and were there for the taking. Instead, we were pretty bad ourselves. As for bringing on the kids, if they are as good as people seem to think they are (although I remain to be convinced about a couple of them), do you really think they'll even be here next season if we don't get promotion, because I don't? The likes of Fryatt will be snapped up by a Championship side, if not a Premiership side, if he gets over 20 this season and I think Bennett shows enough promise that he'll be likely to follow.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Don't worry Sound Out ill deal with this red till im dead cack knob breath pillow biter. I already have eyes on his hills.

My toadies are telling me he lives on a right run down council estate, his house being real trampy with a distinct smell of fish wafting thier way when the front door opens. Must be his missus.

Ill let you know when i have more info.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.188.134.193) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

Yawn Yawn.
One strange thing on this board, many people do not have a problem with meeting other board members for a social chat about the Saddlers.
For some reason certain people like to hide behind their screen name, very convenient is it not?

By Oscar (203.194.44.251) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 05:59 am: Edit

Here we go here we go again. What's up Sheff, getting jealous that C&D isn't picking on you for a change?

By Stu (13.16.137.10) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:35 am: Edit

Fenn, you say we're building a young talented squad.

Emblen, Aranalde, Kinsella, Osborn, Bazeley and Jorge are all 30+. Roper and Wrack are late 20's.

The only real kids getting a regular game are Fryatt and Bennett. The others haven't looked capable of delivering the goods all the time. Daryl Taylor looks a good prospect, but the only other kid is Leroy Williams who looks out of his depth so far.

Standing & Broad are yet to prove they're good enough in my view. Kris Taylor and Mark Wright can't even make the bench at the moment.

So we're not even building a young squad capable of growing. Anyway as Neil says, if Fryatt bangs in 20 goals and Bennett plays like he did on Saturday, they'll have other teams sniffing after them and we all know we'll accept the first half decent offer that comes along.

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Neil, they will be gone, if a decent offer comes in, regardless if we go up or not.

There is no way Walsall will turn down any half decent offer and the lads will easily move for a hefty hike in wages. It'll make not the slightest difference if we're in The Championship, League 1 or League 2.

Either way, we'll be up s*** creek without a paddle.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

I know that, Dave, that's why I can't understand the "we're building for the future and in a year or two's time" argument. The kids'll be long gone. In the words of the King, "It's Now Or Never".

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

It's not now or never, though, is it ? Well, not in my opinion anyway.

If we do get decent fee's for one or more of the youngsters then we will be able to use the funds to strengthen the team. We may also have another crop of exciting youngsters coming through by then.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Or we may buy a load of rubbish and not have any kids come through. Why take the risk?

By 79 SADDLER (62.49.2.13) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

if we do sell any of the players i dont think we spend any money any way ! you know jeff he will come up with some reason and say we cant afford it and when did we last spend anything any way !!!

By Ian Gittins (81.153.164.19) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

I thought both teams were absolutely dreadful for long periods on Saturday. For the first half-hour we seemed to be lacking any kind of shape, resolve or imagination, although admittedly things improved immeasurably after Emblen came on and we scrambled that goal.

Having said that, the lack of fight, in the last 15 minutes when the game was there to be won, was highly worrying. Who are we currently looking to for motivational presence?

There were good points - Jorge was excellent, as was Kinsella, and Standing looked promising, but Merson (who nearly made a goal with the fabulous pass to Williams) surely needs to realise the merits of a settled team.

When a club is doing well, you generally know the team that is going to start week-in, week-out, or at least nine or ten of them are stone-cold certainties. Right now, Merson is trying out so many combinations that you begin to suspect he is drawing the names out of a hat.

They may have had a dodgy game or two, but Roper and Emblen are solid defenders. Starting with an unfit and dodgy-looking Dakinah (three days after Merse said he wasn't ready) was odd enough, but pairing him with a 17-year-old (albeit a promising one) and putting in a nervous, unfit Bewers gave our defence a Russian roulette element until Emblen came on - as the goal showed.

And Fryatt has scored five goals in a struggling team - why wasn't he picked? Because he sat on a bench without playing on Thursday night? This is prevarication and indecision beyond any of the many crimes Colin Lee was ever accused of, and frankly beggars belief. We are eight games into the season - do we have even ONE ever-present in the League by now?

I'm not into giving Merson "deadlines" to "sort it out" - eight games is not enough to reach a verdict on his tenure, and I admire the way he's brought Bennett, D Taylor, Fryatt and Williams (although he is clearly not the finished article yet) into the front line. But I think the cohesion and effectiveness we are crying out for won't emerge until he decides his best 11 and sticks with it or near to it - and please, no more of this 'home side' and 'away side' gibberish. How about just a 'good side', eh?

Oh, and Cocksuck Dummy - if anything on this board were ever inevitable, it was that you, having indulged your spiteful schoolboy vendetta against Lee all last year, would similarly turn on Merse the first minute that all was less than hunky dory. A few relatively salient posts recently do not prevent you, little chap, from being the board laughing stock.

Or, at least, one of them.

By Derek Godwin (163.1.64.132) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Objectionable behaviour

As if watching such an uninspiring game on Saturday wasn`t enough I and some of my family had to endure 90 minutes of the most foul language addressed to the referee,the Wednesday players and the opposition fans by a young yob.He was not there to support the team just to be totally objectionable and this despite the presence of many females.With attendances dwindling this has to be one of the reasons since decent people would not wish to be present at something like this again.I can`t begin to understand what his home life can be like for he surely can`t sustain a relationship with a normal person.He was sitting in K89 in the lower Purple stand and if he can read and he reads this please note that we are taking official action.

By Easy Going John (81.79.181.174) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

I really cant believe you get behaviour like this at a football match. This recent phenomena of swearing at oppos and the ref needs to be nipped in the bud.
On a similar note, the next time the club plays a rivals theme tune at half time can we all join in and clap along please.

Boing Up the Saddlers to the end of the Road.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.189.208.234) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Derek - Surely this should have been dealt with on the day of the incident? What is the use of giving all the details now? A steward should have been informed and the person dealt with. Have the club still got the text thing you can use? The number was 07789-315334. Not sure if it still works? So what "official action" are you taking by the way?

By Derek Godwin (195.92.67.208) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

At the time, I intended to inform a Steward,although there were none in the immediate vicinity, but was advised not to by my daughter since he was in the company of several of his mates who whilst numerous were not so vociferous.Consequen tly we are informing the club which may,depending how he purchased his ticket,have a record of him.If he simply bought the ticket in person at the window then we won`t be in luck.It may be a waste of time but I feel that I ought to make some effort as a matter of principle.I xcertainly won`t be sitting in the lower Purple again.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Don't know about dealines for Merson, but any team with realistic promotion aspirations would be looking for 9 points from Chesterfield (minus half their regular back four), Brentford (woeful away and with no reserve team), and Huddersfield (just scrambled out of the basement division).

The team needs a solid 90 minute performance to get some self-belief going, not these cameo spells, that basically mirror Merson's own performances. The shortcomings I've seen described v Wednesday sound like the ones seen several times on the road that have had my alarm bells ringing, we can't afford to let that creep into the home games or we will have problems.

Just one final thing from me on the Fryatt thing. I'm not just having a go at Merson for the sake of it, I'd love him to start getting stuff right - and I agree with every word he said about the FA. But why should the FA show us any sympathy? the same organisation that organise England games to clash with our firxtures. Merson is Fryatt's boss, and when you are in that position you make yourself 100% sure you get what you want, don't rely on the actions of a third party. If that meant getting the club to stump up a couple of hundred quid to make sure Fryatt got homw first thing Friday then so be it. Good management is about anticipating problems and making things happen. Not bleating about ifs buts and maybes after the fact.

By Fensaddler (80.86.36.34) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Good young players will certainly move on if they have the right offer, and this will be the case regardless of the league we are in. The issue is not whether certain individuals will stay (though I hope they do) but rather whether we have now moved towards the model of finding and bringing through talented youngsters. The only viable model for a club of our size is to look at what Crewe have achieved - the only club to have consistently and successfully punched above their weight for year after year. Some small clubs have their time in the sun for a few seasons, then fade again. I want to convert our time in the sun into something more permanent (and entertaining!) by bringing through young talent. Neil, I must most politely disagree - its not 'now or never', it never has been and it never will be. I've supported this team long enough to know that there is 'always next year', and expectations of a continuous upward trajectory are always likely to end in disappointment.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

And, just as politely, as this is the crux of the argument about being happy winning a few more games in a lower division and it's one that should be debated without the stupid insults, I don't care where the players come from as long as we are in a higher Division. It doesn't really matter to me if they have come up via the youth team or not, except in that they are a salable asset if they have and that may help the quest to rise higher. It certainly doesn't make a game of football more entertaining for me just because some of the players have come up via the ranks.
As for the expectations of an upward trajectory, I'm afraid I think that the only way you'll reach the sky is by aiming for the stars, otherwise you'll stay scrambling down in the mud for ever more. I've spent nearly 40 years watching us scramble in the mud, with very little success to relieve it. My ambition is far more than that.

By stourbridge saddler (213.249.153.129) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Totally agree Fensaddler - Crewe should be the model for us. The young players coming through now are definitely much better than in the past. Its inevitable that some will move on to a higher level but hopefully replacements will keep coming through on the conveyor belt. What we need, however, is a manager who can harness the talent through astute tactics and team selection. I like Merson's expansive, attacking approach but he is clearly no Dario Gradi. He needs an experienced older head to help him. especially with defending.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Seen the Star today? I think the expansive, attacking approach seems to have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.74) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

I would give anything for a solid unspectacular 1-0 win on Saturday, the same as last time we visited Chesterfield on our way to a higher level.
Those are the really enjoyable away days for me, just something about drawing the home side's sting and then nicking the points. Gillingham, Chesterfield, Lincoln etc that first promotion year? Great days out.

Return to 2004-05 Season