Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Brentford (h) - League - 25th September 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Brentford (h) - League - 25th September 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:46 am

By Lichfield John (81.79.231.26) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Interesting team news.It looks like it's 442 today.

Paston
Wright
K Taylor
Roper
Bennett
Kinsella
Wrack / D Taylor
Standing
Leitao
Fryatt
D Taylor / Wrack

subs..

Mckinney,Emblen,Osbo rn,Birch,Atieno.

So no Aranalde,Merson or Williams in the squad.

By Lukeyboy (172.188.73.202) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

why have we signed this bewers an payin him wages when he isnt even geting in the 16!

By Lichfield John (81.79.231.26) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I don't suppose he's up to match fitness yet.If Wright continues to play at right back,i wouldn't be at all surprised to see Bazeley released pretty soon.

By Lichfield John (81.79.231.26) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Bloody hell,another penalty conceded,Salako ( 30mins )

By Depressed Saddler (62.254.0.12) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

As scores stand now, we're in the relegation zone!!

By Lukeyboy (172.191.138.62) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

couldnt make it today but this can not continue!

By Lichfield John (81.79.231.26) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Another loss,undefeated home record gone aswell.

Didn't go 2day,how did we play,Kris Taylor play alright?

Still there's always tuesday.Maybe a win then can kick start our season.

By IT (82.37.190.243) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Merson has had enough time to get it right. He must go NOW!!!

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Without doubt, that was the worst performance i have ever witnessed. There can be no excuses. Kinsella and K Taylor were appalling. Kinsella is a disgrace full stop.

Absolutely dreadful. If anyone can come away from that pile of poo with any positives they were not there.

Rubbish, inept and unacceptable.

By toi (82.47.56.32) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

barclays

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.111) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

we have gone into the bottom 4 tonight. Kris Taylor, cannock was the only one daring enough to pass the ball forward, everyone else was too afraid to because of the fear of the booing. I thought Jules looked solid again today, but thats all.
Ive heard merse has been sacked. Danny Wilson to Bescot? i hope so.

By dave burntwood (62.255.32.9) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I feared the worst today.
Awful at Chesterfield for 60 minutes, awful today for 90. Merson substitutions incomprehensible.
What's he done to Fryatt?
I believe that's 3 wins in 15 games, he said he should be judged after 15 games, bye bye Merson, please.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

Well, that was a totally dire performance, shame we were beaten by a dodgy pentalty, as the lineman had already flagged , but the ref didn't see it!
Also what a cheating lot Brentford one, a blantant hand ball, with the player catching the ball with two hands and throwing the ball on the floor went unnoticed!! Followed thoughout the match with five or six other hand balls, with only one being spotted. When they jumped their elbows were flying in.
Terrible referring, totally inconsistance, giving wrong decisions to both teams, and both linesmen need to go to linesmen training school, or get their eyes tested.
But even all that doesn't explain why we played so awful, Wracky was so out of his depth, Kris Taylor had a mare, BRING BACK ZIGOR!
And also back to the training ground for corner taking.
Relegation is looming unless we get a grip soon~!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.96.182) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Wright, Kris Taylor and Standing are useless and should not pull on a Walsall shirt again. They should all be transfer listed on Monday morning. Not as if anyone would want them.
Got to be the lowest point for years at Walsall FC.
4th from bottom of this division is nothing short of a DISGRACE.
MERSON, go and GET LOST. You are useless both as a player and most definately as a manager.
MERSON OUT.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.111) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

sheffield shut up YOU IDIOT. i wanted to ram some sense down your neck at doncaster for that stupid remark but for saying standin was useless is a load of crap. Standing played well today he was the only player that wanted to go forward. Wright didnt play too bad at right back. Thats clever, "merse Get lost" so grown up of you.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.96.182) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

wfc - Calm down. Alright saying I wanted to do something at Doncaster, when you clearly could and did not. Whats that say about you?
Standing as been useless all season, I am not just on about todays match, I am on about the season in general, same can be said reference Wright and Taylor.
So go away and think a bit more IDIOT.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

It doesn't really matter, wfc-2uk, who was better than who in what was a completely unacceptable performance. That after training twice a day for a week and giving them all instructions on how to play. What did they practise and were the instructions be cr@p? 10 games and we are getting WORSE, if such a thing is possible.

By harrison (195.93.34.154) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

sheffied you like to use the word Idiot if people do not agree with you

By DaveM (217.42.28.182) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

We have totally lost it. Merson does not know his best team or even what formation we should play. The dream is over they have had time and wasted it. Sorry but we will go down if he and his backroom staff are not replaced and a new manager is not appointed as soon as possible.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

one more point, why oh why doesn't merson seem to move much, and shout at the team and encourage them, I thought he was a cardboard cut out for most of the game. Martin allen the Brentford manager, was wacing his arms and giving input most of the match. Wonder if that would make a difference??

By Harrison (195.93.34.154) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Seriously though Merson is an awful manager.
I hope that he goes soon because he is turning this club in to grimsby town.

Hopefully the sources are true, and Merson has been sacked, because this club is turning into a total disaster, and we are plummetting like the 80s.

By Cal's a saddler (217.137.228.2) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

I've just read on the official site that Merse couldnt understand it today the team had no belief!!!
THe main reason for that is the team havent got a clue of who they are and what they are supposed to be doing!!
They don't play as a team they are individuals who run around like frightened rabbits! If the ball comes to them they touch it as if its on fire!
I'm sorry but much as I wanted Merson as manager to work it just isnt He has to go and go now along with all the others who are supposed to be helping him.

By Jman (82.37.170.24) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

CRAP

Paston - still don't think he's good enough, but did ok today
Wright - He's crap, should never be a pro footballer LIGHTWEIGHT
Bennet - did ok
Roper - Clumsey and Awkward, not a great roper performance but not one of his worst
Wrack - why the f...cuk was he playing at left back. Merson your a fool
Daryll Taylor - why does every1 love him? he's a kid playing with men, just runs into trouble every time he gets the ball, he has potential but should never start. LIGHTWEIGHT
Standing - i like the look of him, didn'nt play well today but at least try to go forward LIGHTWEIGHT
Kinsella - what the f....ck has happened to this guy, he's crap
Kris Taylor - he's a classy player but diddn't have a great game, he'll coem good
Fryatt - he aint the finish article, don't care wot any of ya think, he should be behiund birch in the pecking order, he's gonna eb a legend but he aint ready yet, he's to week, yet to see a single ounce of aggretion. LIGHTWEIGHT
Letieo - very quiet, but hard working

Subs, osborn is a disgrace, terrible footballer and Atiweno(sp) is another who should not be a pro footballer, i been watching the reserves for last few seasons wehn time permits, he doesn't stand out, he's crap so why are we relying on him to come on turn the game for us

we aint got shape, we aint got a leader, no passion, no aggresion, no fight. LIGHTWEIGHT

By SMACK IT (82.37.193.173) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

well in all my years watching some very poor games i think that rates in my top 5 if not top, i was glad to see a 4 4 2 system used but amazed at the players used and a few playing out of position,why play wrack and wright when we have left and right backs not even in the 16? my main reason for posting was to ask why broad is not making the 16, i presume he is still with us and unlike some posters on here i think he looks a better midfielder than standing, who has not impressed me in the slightest.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.96.182) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Most midfielders are better than Standing. Lets face it, the bloke is a donkey. He will be one of first to go when a new manager comes in. Followed swiftly by McKinney, Wright and Kris Taylor.

By Jorge14 (195.93.35.156) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

crap...total utter crap.

Merson Out, its time to go you excuse for a manager. Another of Bonsor's cheapo things goes belly fvcking up.

Absolute joke today, even the most hardened fan is losing interest, I won't be at Huddersfield unless it a new managers first league game, thats not because I'm not a "real" football man, I don't want to have to pay £12 on the coach another 10 pounds plus to get in to watch crap. I'd rather take my missus to the flicks...

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

I was so embarrassed today. Ironically, I bought the fanzine today and there was an article "A day not to forget" going on about how bad Gillingham was last season and how we should always remember it and use it as a benchmark for bad performances.

That article was spot on, because we've got a new benchmark. Todays shambles. At least Gillingham were a half decent side, this was fudge awful today.

Sheff, I really wish you wouldn't jump to such over-reaction. Standing was actually possibly our best player today, pushing Julian Bennett all the way. Standing was the one player who seemed to want to make something happen when he had the ball.

For all those who slate Osborn... See what our midfielder was like today? They couldn't even get the ball to start with, let alone give it away.

I would love Merson to suceed, he comes across as a great bloke, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is given his cards before the Rushden match.

The biggest worry is that things started badly and are getting worse, not the other way around. We are not improving at all.

All this talk of exciting attacking football is nowhere to be seen. We've scored 5 goals in 7 matches now, 3 of those came in 1 match.

Lee's stuff was dire and he deserved the chop, but this is certainly no better in the slightest. In fact, its worse and at a worse level.

God help us, even my MK Dons mates are taking the pi$$ out of me now.

By Gavin of Wednesbury (81.76.27.147) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

For all of you that were demanding to know why Kris Taylor wasn't being picked I hope you know have your answer. Ideas way above his station. You have to work for your success Kris.

By Jorge14 (195.93.35.156) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

I think we will be lucky to get many more than 3000 on Tuesday. I've never seen Walsall fans so disinterested in the club.

Bescot will look very empty in the Third Division.

By Gavin (81.76.27.147) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

Gates are starting to plummet. No wonder really. JWB must be worried. Persistent sub 5500 crowds will surely see us post a second consecutive financial loss.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.189.50.144) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

Sorry but since Standing arrived he has been next to useless. It is not an over reaction, its simply the truth.

By Dave Gittins (81.77.55.107) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

What on earth was that rubbish we paid to watch today? Towards the end of the second half we flattered to deceive. We may have had a bit more possession but how many actual shots did the Brentford keeper have to save? Even the one from Jorge at the end looked to be going wide.

I must pass comment on the penalty we conceded. The Brentford player slid the ball through and the linesman immediately raised his flag as if for an offside decision. Some players stopped (no excuse, you should always play to the whistle) the Bees forward found himself in the box then won the penalty. If the linesman was flagging for a foul then decided the advantage was to be played why on earth did he hold the flag straight out as if for offside? That may sound like an excuse, it isn't. We looked clueless and devoid of any useful ideas for most of the match.

Before Merson was appointed I said that he may do a decent job but needed a good number two. With a very inexperienced management team this is the end result. I am afraid that unless something is done quickly we could be heading straight into the football league basement.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Dave, the linesman's signal I thought at the time and he certainly seemed to indicate to the ref afterwards that it was for a tug on the shirt by Wright. There was certainly no one offside. Whatever happened to play to the bloody whistle?

By Stu (195.92.67.77) on Saturday, September 25, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

I'm not going to argue with you Sheff, I'll let someone else fall for that.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:06 am: Edit

Its been like that all season Neil. Sticking your arm up in the air, stop defending while claiming offside leaving the striker clean through and able to get a shot in.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

Now, which side's defenders were notorious for that?

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Yeah, but they could defend and had the line organised and ready to step forward at the right time. I think Merse has more likely showed them The Full Monty in training rather than using George Graham's tactics.

By RedAlways (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Just amazed that there was no real reaction from the crowd during the game. Everyone so subdued, not even bothering to demand Merson Out.

I looked at Merson several times and he did not seem to care. I am sure he did, but his attitude was reflected in the teams lack of passion. Oh for a John Keister now!

Too many playing out of position and no pace or conviction. Usually you come away from a bad performance and have something to build on for the next game.

Only Paston, Wright, Wrack and maybe Bennett have any right to think they might have done enough to play in the next game, although they were not brilliant.

The midfield was a shambles. For too long the tactics have been play the ball to Merson. Today there was no one leading the team from midfield.

I have been a Merson as Manager supporter until today. If he is an honest man, he should resign. The first task for his replacement is to find a midfield captain.

By SSELBY (195.93.50.159) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:49 am: Edit

I have also been a great supporter of Merson until now. Enough is enough, he has to go.
He has totally lost the plot. Apart from Paston he is playing nearly everbody out of position.
Next week expect Paston up front and Birch in goal, with maybe Jorge as the sweeper.
MERSON OUT CAMPAIGN

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.179) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit

Oh the funny little fanzine people have been busy writing witty stories about how bad Colin Lee was. Ohhh its so funny I just want to p!ss my pants. Red the reason there was no reaction is because 90 percent of Walsall fans are totally in denial that we are in a relegation scrap. 90 percent of Walsall fans don't travel away, therefore they don't realise how cr*p we are under this joke of a manager. They actually think the 60 minutes against Swindon defines our season.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

I'd disagree, actually. If ever there was a time you'd think there'd be booing of the players, that was it, but there wasn't. Why? Because people know it's not their fault. Directionless, clueless, what do you expect?

By Brewood Saddler (172.188.243.233) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

Went to the game yesterday and 2 things really struck me.

1) Our Midfield was anonymous. When Brentford had the ball we appeared incapable of tackling in the centre of the park and when we had the ball with the exception of Daryl Taylor (who continually tries to beat too many players) we didn't know what to do with it.

2) Merson's attitude on the side of the pitch. Leaning on the dugout like something out of footballers wives. He stood pretty motionless for the whole 90 minutes and barely communicated to either the team or Osborn and Iffy.

In my opinion the midfield is the area of greatest concern. We have no idea what formation to play in the centre of the park and who should play there. At this level we need to tackle hard and when in possesion move the ball quickly. On the odd occasion we did this yesterday our play improved dramatically.

Outside of that I thought we looked a little more stable at the back with Paston only needing to make a couple of saves bar the dubious penalty. In front of goal we didn't give Fryatt of Leitao a chance by constantly asking them to play with their backs to goal.

I am now starting to doubt the wisdom of having such an inexperienced coaching staff.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

The fans seemed rather vocal at the end of the match singing "What a load of Rubbish" My friend thought they were singing at the Ref, I was not so sure!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

That was at the end, and I'm not surprised. They did not boo any players during it.

By PGtips (213.48.64.83) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

That is the first time we have played consistently badly for a full 90 minutes under Merson. It really was awful and there is not a single thing I can say in defence of what we saw yesterday. However I have seen equally poor performances from Walsall playing at their highest level under Lee and their lowest level under Hibbett. This was not a new benchmark for our worst performance. Given what was at stake on the day Gillingham last year remains the benchmark.

We are still regarded nationally as a laughing stock for sacking our manager 4 games from the end of a season. Shall we now sack his replacement six months later? Despite what Merson may say publicly the current side is probably a top 10-12 side at best. I see he is now apologising for talking us up in last nights pink. Maybe he is learning.

If you do not like what is written in the fanzine write in with your own opinions of what is happening. They will print it in full if you supply your name. Whatever you think of the opinions expressed in yesterdays edition they make more sense to me than the histerical nonsense that appears on here. Apparently Merson is sacked according to the news column because the biggest (and increasingly most tedious) comedy poster on the message board says so.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.67) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

It amazes me that people are so obsessed with their hatred of one of our most successful managers that they write reminiscences of the worst performances of his tenure. I don't need to write for the fanzine, If people publish articles in the public domain they can expect a response, and if I choose this message forum as my souding board that's fair enough. There is some hysterical nonsense on here, much of which is meant tongue in cheek, but since the advent of the smiley that seems to go over many folks heads. There is also some decent debate and some wothwhile opinions from people who travel all over the country watching the team. As for playing consistently badly for 90 minutes, is that meant to be a positive? we've managed 80 minutes a few times. And you obviously wer'nt at Sheffield Wednesday in the cup were you? Or is the momory playing tricks again? Amazing how people can remember the CL low points in such technicolour detail, but stuff that happened in the last month just dissappears without a trace.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.67) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Sorry I just read that post back to myself and I sounded almost witty and cognant, I was forgetting this is UTS - MERSON OUT! Urghhhhh Grrrrr, scrape knuckles sorry I meant GET BEHIND THE Effin TEAM.

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

I actually got off my arse and bought the fanzine for the first time in ages, from Steve himself. I thought that now Lee had gone, we'd have gone back to the good, funny and witty fanzine we used to have.

Instead, it again just seemed to be dedicated to spelling out how inept and boring Lee, how crap Corica was and how lucky we are that Lee has gone.

I used to love our fanzine, now its actually dedicated to Colin Lee, the man that they despise so much. I find that quite ironic, as usually, if I hate someone with such a passion, I won't evne give them the time of day, yet our fanzine is dedicated to hating the bloke.

I could write a response and I was temtped yesterday as I'm fairly sure Steve & co would publish it. But the trouble is my response would be that it take the whole fanzine up as I had something to say on virtually all the articles.

I'm not pro Lee, I'm not anti-Merson. I don't know why people have to create that attitude to start with. I just want whats best for my team.

By PGtips (213.48.64.83) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Sheff Weds was bad - I'll give you that. But I was refering to first team matches. It was Merson's decision not to make it a first team match but thats another story.

What I do really agree with is Stu's last line. What is best for Walsall now. So many people on here seem to want Merson out. What would that achieve? We would put ourselves in a position where we were paying off two managers contracts simultaneously plus our highest paid player -allegedly. Once the new man has come in and spent nothing (because there is nothing) whilst getting us ten places higher in the league we may be left wondering could Merson have done this with more time anyway?

Tony Adams had a torrid start to his managerial career. I see him as a similar figure to Merson. A troubled yet talented individual with no managerial experience. I do not for one minute want or expect us to go down in order to improve but he has turned Wycombe around now. Merson has time plus a little bit of cash and a handful of loan signings yet to make. Sack him and pay him off and a new man may not have any of this.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:40 pm: Edit

I often wondered what the Lee out brigade would do with their time once he was out. I guess now I have the answer. Pity they don't spend as much time and effort with what's going on now as its the present that's relevant, and the future that needs sorting. Also a pity that in their attempts to be funny at all costs they can't find decent memories of the Lee era to write about, such as the win at Charlton, the great escape, the 8 game undeaten run towards the end of the second survival season, the Albion game, Forest, and Wigan about this time last year. Or if they want to write about Gillingham why not the year before when we battled and scrapped our way to 3 vital points. No 6 months later as we head towards the fouth division they are still making up insulting Colin Lee names like overgrown schoolkids. Same people then go around calling others negative! Funny old world.

By Ian Gittins (217.44.62.229) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Agreed, Geordie. The fanzine is puerile and a wit-free zone, and any outsider buying it is likely to wonder quite why they are wasting their energies on ridiculing a capable manager who kept us at a high level of football for two years, while his hapless successor is sending us plunging towards the basement. If only we could have kept Lee and got rid of one particular handful of "fans", eh?

By SheffieldSaddler (172.188.198.223) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Well said Ian. They know who they are. So called fans of this football club. And some of them even have the cheek to come on here, under a different name to what they used on rivals.

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

Ian.

1. Surely the fanzine editor can only publish material that has been submitted. He can have his waffle at the front but the rest of the material is down to the fans of the club.

2. If you have alternative views then write them in as it is a zine "by the fans for the fans". Its existence is surely not to create a big divide between the limited amount of supporters we have.

3. If you don't like it and can't be bothered to put across your views and it upsets you so then why waste your money on it?

4. There is no point crying like a baby that you are being force fed sprouts for your din dins when you don't do anything about it.

Zines are for the fans, written by the fans.

By Harrison (195.93.51.167) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Yes and how many games did we win under Colin Lee is 2004 ? We all no you are in the same little click Sheffield ,Ian and geordie and love to agree on everythinh.

Ok yesterday performance was crap very crap . The team lacked knowledge of tactics showed no passion and as for set pieces again they where crap once again.

Why Merse brought on Taiwo Atieno I do not do .We had two young forwards in attack , it would have better to bring birch on or even throw Emblem up in attack as well. Why he keeps playing Wrack at left back I also do not no . He had he best times at the club playing on the wings.

If we do not sort something out soon , I think I would have to start saying wot old Sheffield Saddler is saying and sack the Merse.

Sheffield,Ian may be you could ring the fanzine Radio Show on Thursday night and put your views across. I no Sheffield was talked about a few weeks back after what he did at Doncaster

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

No Cannock zines are for fans of zines. I hate it when people try and represent "me", and say stuff like its "yours" no it bleedin' isn't! Why should you have to do anything about it? The football club is "ours" the peripheral nonsense that some people choose to fill up their spare time is THEIRS, a bit like me sitting and typing messages on this board!

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.174) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 02:26 pm: Edit

I think we won 2 games in 2004 under CL, 1 less than we have under Merson. Harrison you labour under the common misapprehention that there is a clique on here. I've never met Ian, and I think you'll find that he and Sheff have had more arguments on here than agreements. The only clique I belong to is the one that we will be at Huddersfield next Saturday screaming their heads off in support of the team. Maybe you could spare us a thought while your watching your Sky Sports?

By Harrison (195.93.51.167) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Georgedie not missed a Walsall game in 5 years home or away .

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

I accept that point Geordie. However, i do not accept the nonsense written by Gittins. If he doesn't like something then why go out and buy it and then go onto a public message board to insult and be deliberately damn rude to the people who spend time and effort in producing it.

That is the type of behaviour i find totally childish and unacceptable.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Like it or not, Dave, NMFE is completely and utterly obsessed with Colin Lee. Half the posts (at least) on football matters on their message board mention his name. As we plummet towards Division 2, you still get posts saying it's better than Gillingham away last season. FOR GOD'S SAKE, that was LAST season.
What getting rid of Meson now will do is rid us of a man who is completely incompetant and, after yesterday, has lost the crowd completley (he's gone down from 40% backing to nearly 30% IN ONE DAY on the poll) and all in time for any reasonably competant bloke to get us back on track this season. Let's face it, it's a big enough task, as the ridiculously unbalanced squad needs so much working on.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Sorry, that was Cannock wasn't it?

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Harrison, so what? you said you were watching Sky sports next week on another thread. I couldn't care less if you havn't missed a game for 5 years. The last 5 years have been the best the club has ever had. Try 8 years from 83 (my brother got married on a Saturday)-91( stuck in a gridlock on the M6)including two successive relegations and a post war record of consecutive defeats if you want to start playing the school boy stuff with me! (that was meant to be semi in jest for the hard of humour)

By Ian Gittins (217.44.62.229) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Cannock, that's the most disingenuous argument I've heard in many a long moon. If you see a football match, a TV programme or a magazine that you don't care, do you REALLY never criticise it because "people have spent time and effort in producing it"? What pious claptrap. The fanzine spends its time belittling and ridiculing people it doesn't like: it can hardly complain at getting the same treatment in return.

By Ian Gittins (217.44.62.229) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

And please don't criticise my post - I spent time and effort producing it, and don't need you being deliberately damn rude.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

What's worse, of course, Ian, is they do it on their so called "radio" show, the one that never seems to get on air, without telling you first and without giving you a chance to reply and you only hear about it second hand. It is just 6 year old's humour, but it don't make it clever, right, worthwhile or anything else worth bothering about. One day they'll all get the job with Viz they really want, either that, or start taking the club's predicament seriously as well as make "jokes".

By Harrison (195.93.51.167) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Arrr Geordie chill man. Now if I was you I would go to Whitley Bay and go to Rio's Bar. What I was trying to say is that Im sick of watching players with no passion , this has made me loose my passion .

NMFE are these the same guys who promised so much a few years back at meeting pre graydon era

By Ian Gittins (217.44.62.229) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

I'll forgive most crimes if somebody is funny, Neil. Sadly, unlike Viz, the fanzine carries no danger at all of aching sides.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Excellent post Neil. Just about sums them up. I had the misfortune of standing by that "clique" at Saltergate and they are a "clique" in the truest sense of the word, like a bunch of giggling school kids.

Its amazing that the stuff they routinely have ago at other people for is the same stuff they are guilty of. They want people to be positive about Merson no matter what, but dwell on the negatives about Lee. They love all the funny stuff but hell you try having a joke at their expense, they can't take it.
Its obvious that several of the stupid made up names that come on here and make snidey, usually personal comments about others are in fact.. well we all know who.

By Harrison (195.93.51.167) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I stopped buying the Walsall Fanzine ages ago . i donot agree what it stands for . If anyone has listen to their Radio show on a Thursday its very poor.

Geordie they have a message board on there on thursday nite , maybe you could leave them a message. I'll join in with you, as I've said before NMFE is a poor fanzine and it anti everything to do with the club

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.165) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Rios bar is a dump and should be bombed. I would chill a lot more if for once in this godforsaken season I could wake up on a Sunday morning and enjoy reading the paper.

So you are so bothered about the state of things that you are prepared to miss your first game in five years, QED something that you never did under Lee, yet in your above post you allude to Lee's lack of success in 2004 (which was just a fraction of his otherwise successful tenure), and then go on to say that Merson should only be sacked if this carries on, i.e not yet. This is the kind of stuff that I can't understand, because frankly like most of the anti-Lee pro-Merson bullsh!t it doesn't make sense.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I haven't read the fanzine, in fact I haven't bought a fanzine since Blazing Saddlers years ago simply because I'm usually in the pub till just before kick off so don't pass anyone to buy one.

If you read the Rivals board today most people are in agreement that yesterday was a disgrace, in fact many were saying the same last week. Criticise the fanzine if you like, I haven't seen it so I don't know what is in it but on the message board there's comments very similar to this board if anybody bothers to read it which I know you have today Neil.

I listen to the radio show most weeks (when they can get off their @rses to do it!) and its quite funny, there has hardly been a mention of Lee as you keep proclaiming there is. Most of the chat is topical news (some not even related to football) and the rest about the performance of the last game and the predictions for the next game.

Like I say there seems to be some personal issue going on here, jealousy of the radio station? and it seems to be a competition between who can administrate the best site or something similar which is ridiculous. As cannock says we already have a small fan base and wherever possible we all need to unite to get the best results whatever peoples opinions are.

I've had the pleasure to meet a few people off this site and off the Rivals site and I find you all to be friendly people. I rarely agree with Sheff on here but met him for the first time at Doncaster and had a quick chat and if I see him again I'd do the same whatever is said on here. Life is too short, the more friends you've got in this world the better I think.

As everyone is always quick to point out, everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you agree or not so what is the issue between the 2 boards, that shouldn't come into it. Ian/Geordie/Neil you don't agree with many people on here but you don't always take it to the same extremes that you do with others just because they use that board and not this.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I actually posted something on here a while ago asking whether anyone had listened to the radio show and if it was any good. Someone on there decided the following week to take the p1ss out of the enquiry and I found out second hand. Sums them up, really.

What I would like is for some discussion about the club, this so far disastrous season and Merson's faliures without the continual recourse to the "it's better than under Lee" argument, which isn't one at all. It's not better to be in the relegation zone for the sake of playing a few kids who might even end up scarred by the whole experience.

If it was about the site, I wouldn't be having this argument on somebody else's.

Most of all, I'd like some of them (and it is only some) to come on here and have a debate and not, as Geordie points out, come on with a made up user name, fling insults at people and disappear again.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.188.130.145) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

MMF - For once I agree with you, so you must be right for a change
Whatever happens on the site, people need to remember that we all have one thing in common, we love Walsall Football Club.
I rarely ever agree with Dave Roe, but believe it or not, he is ok really.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Actually, Sheff and Dave are both almost human, but I'm not sure about Delves.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

For me the only issue between the two boards is that a few people who used to post on here and were very good to have a bit of banter with got their mits on the Rivals board and have repeatedly (I read rivals as I do all Saddlers related web stuff), chosen to use that medium to have a go at the so called "clique" on here. The truth is there isn't a clique. This is the oldest and most widely used of the message boards, you can see from the number of posts threads have compared to the others that it is far and away the most diverse, as are the opinions on it. There simply isn't a prevailing doctrine on here which makes life much more interesting when it comes to having an opinion and a discussion.

People have actually started threads on Rivals slagging off the so called negativity on this site which is complete nonesense, as is the tirade of anti-Lee stuff that still goes on. Only today Colin Lee was mentioned as a failure in the same sentance and context as John Barnwell for God's sake. Its utterly pathetic. This site is more agressive and the language a bit more fruity granted, and I'm as guilty as anyone over that. Witness my outburst yesterday. But anyone who knows me and knows my postings on here will know that its 1) because I care, and 2) only half serious most of the time, even when it reads like I'm having a bluey. Still doesn't stop people coming on and making poersonal comments under made up user names like Neil says, which is a bit childish to say the least.

By coventry bee (82.5.144.60) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

Up the bees !!!!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

There does seem to be a definate tendency around here to confuse "realism" with "negativity". Sorry, but I'm certain I'm just being realistic.

By Fensaddler (82.37.172.212) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I've just read through most of what's on here today, and it has to be said that most of it is very negative, laced with insults or criticism either directly of others, or indirectly of another site, the posters on that site, or some sort of other clique. We really don't need to be fighting with each other right now, we have enough of a battle on our hands on the pitch, and in holding our club together.

There is much to be negative about. Yesterday's match was poor, but not the all time low that some make out - I have seen worse, though this ranks as the poorest I have seen since that passionless capitulation to Burnley last season. On those who came out of yesterday with something, I'd name Paston, who though not perfect had a reasonable game in goal, Bennett, who again looked a good defender, and Mark Wright, who not only did reasonably well in defence, but looked better and better for me as the game went on going forward on the overlap. If anyone should be playing on our right wing at present, it might be him, with Bewers playing behind him as an out and out right back. Michael Standing was our best midfielder, and for me looks one of the players still with some fight left in him. Wrack was out of position and floundered, Daryl Taylor was lightweight and ineffective, Kris Taylor did very little to impress (and disappointed me and others who had called for him to be restored to the team), and neither Jorge nor Matty did much to impress, though they hardly got the service they needed.

As to the general position, I wish it could be otherwise, but we look rudderless, disjointed, and dejected. On the pitch and off it.

As to the NMFE fanzine, which I bought yesterday and read, I really can't join in with the general personal griping that goes on about the magazine, or its writers. They seem decent enough people, wanting the best for their club, and turning against them or anyone else really isn't going to help the situation. The editorial spoke some obvious sense - expectations for this season were too high, fuelled at least in part by Merson himself, and we would perhaps have been better to be more realistic, and see this season as one to regroup, bring through youth, and stabilise before pushing on again.

I can't agree though, that where we are now is acceptable - if we are in this league, then our natural position in it in in the top half. Below that, and we are punching below our weight - though we are where we deserve to be, and no one is in any position in any league by divine right. In only one season since we returned from the fourth was that premise not met, and that was under BFJ - who was sacked at the end of it. And even that season saw some stirring league and cup performances, before the rot set in later in the season.

I'll not express an opinion on what we should do about PM. It only goes to polarise the debate, and undermine the club. I am perplexed, and sad, that we are at present where we are in the league, and playing so inexplicably poorly. I also fear that things are not improving, and that time is not on PM's side. For the first time this season, I did not enjoy being at Bescot yesterday - the mood was sour and critical - and the invective being thrown at Darren Wrack yesterday within the first five minutes can hardly have helped him settle to do a good job. He was even criticised for playing in that position, as if he had any choice.

I fear things will have to change, but I'm not entirely sure that we can rely on this improving matters. The rot has truly set in at this club, and the problem may go deeper than many think.

By Harrison (195.93.50.164) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

What about the Hairy Lemmon then Geordie ?

You could not look at the back page ,that would work

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Fensaddler, it appears Merson disagrees with you:-

"I'm not going to quit. I never quit, no chance. I have been through enough. I still feel I can turn it round and the fans were very good.
I know they want me to succeed and they sat there patiently. That's the pleasing thing, but we've got to win games."

So, because we sat there quietly, mesmerised by the sheer incompetance of the performance, it appears he thinks we approve. Either that, or he has now started twisting words to suit himself. Well, I, for one, don't approve. If there is no other way to get noticed, I've started posting on the official site message board that he should go - I absolutely refuse to boo the players when it is not their fault, it is the way they are being mismanaged. I suggest others who feel the same way also try to get accross to the club that this is unacceptable in the same way.

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

That post Fensaddler is arguably the best i have read on this board for a long, long time. Well said you.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.185.92.200) on Sunday, September 26, 2004 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I think for start, we can start playing players in their correct positions.
A real manager basic that Merson has yet to leaen.

By DC (82.37.177.129) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

Usual DC disclaimer...this is a long post and if the tone comes across as aggressive or confrontational it isn't the intent. It's late, and I'm knackered.....

First of all I'd like to agree with some things that Ian and Geordie have said.

Ian said that you should still feel free to criticise a product even though people have taken the time and trouble of producing it. And I agree. The fanzine like any other magazine is a product and not a sixth form (or year whatever) business project needing patronage from interested parties. It should stand or fall on its own merits.

And when Geordie says 'I hate it when people try and represent "me"' I understand totally where he is coming from. My own personal gripe is when people say “the vast majority of Walsall supporters say this or think that”. How do they know? How many Walsall fans are there? If we can’t put a figure on that then we can’t say how many people are needed for a vast majority, less still anyone having actively engaged them all to ask for an opinion. There was one incidence in the issue published on Saturday of a “tiny minority” but there was a qualification of the term and so I let it pass. In the editorial I even went so far to start a paragraph “I think, and I don’t speak for anyone else here…” I hope this goes someway to prove what it says in the credits that ‘all articles in the ‘zine are the views of the individual writer.’

Which leads me on to something else. The worst part about producing a zine is giving up your prematch quaffage to sell them. Perversely the best part of the job is selling them. You get, even for just 20 seconds, a snap shot of people’s hopes, fears and mood as they walk past. And many stop to talk directly to you. Yesterday people were generally cautiously optimistic but you could also tell there was a sense of forboding. You could also tell the crowd was going to be low. An awful lot of regulars were either missing or parked somewhere else.

The ‘Day to Remember’ series has made a reappearance this season after it was very well received in the final issue of last season. True, this one focussed on a defeat but they are written by individuals about games that have a specific relevance to them and if they relate to the fixtures that are coincide with publication then so much the better. The previous one focussed on a victory. I can’t remember the total match scores in the feature over the years. But they focus on fixtures going back at least a quarter of a century. From a personal perspective whether yesterdays performance was worse than the one in Kent is really like arguing over who is the tallest dwarf. I hope to be able to forget both.

As PGTips states if you want to write a contrary view feel free to submit it. Even Stu who has in the past made questioned some things in the zine says that he is fairly certain that anything written would be published. We offer a full right to reply to any individuals who feel they have been misrepresented (something which I know that other publications associated with the club do not offer). And I wish someone would take up that offer to prove it was the case.

We have, from memory, had three complaints addressed directly to the zine. Two of these were published. The third didn’t want their letter printed.

Having said that though I have a lot more respect for someone who buys the zine and evaluates it (positively or negatively) rather than those who dismiss it out of hand without having bothered to make their own minds up.

There have been many issues which I, personally, weren’t pleased with although I think they all have contained some good material. I was quite pleased with this one as I felt it had a good mix of comment, nostalgia and light hearted pieces. Some bog reads and some snappier stuff.

I am proud of the zine. If I said I didn’t get a buzz when people say how much they enjoy it I’d be lying. If that makes me egotistical then I am egotistical. I am also proud that we are still able to knock it out for 50p, the cheapest of any zine in the country and matching the cost of Saddle Sore over a decade ago. It isn’t easy when we have a fairly low base of support anyway and then we are further constrained by not being able to ‘hit’ every attendee at Bescot. If it was run for profit then the price would have gone up years ago. But the central team do it for the ideal. That there should be an avenue for the ordinary fan to have their say. The internet is not yet accessible to everyone and it definitely isn’t at half time. Until this is the case I think there will always be a place for zines in general.

The articles that are in the zine are generally written with certain things in mind. That the reader has a brain, that the reader is able to draw his or her own conclusions and that the reader has an open mind. Certain articles are intended to challenge the reader. Certain articles react to events and others set the agenda on other issues (attendances etc). Our generic articles are some of the most syndicated (in other words nicked) in the fanzine arena. This has also lead us to being approached to write for an England zine, countless magazine articles, local radio appearances and most recently Radio 5Live.

If you don’t like it, then I am sorry. If you can offer any suggestions on how it can be improved then please feel free to email or just approach your seller. I used to say in the editorial note that if you want to find it funny then you probably will and if you conversely want to hate it you will. The strength of writing will not stand up to anyone wanting to disagree violently before they have even shelled out their 50p.

With regards to the radio show, there were no broadcasts for a couple of weeks recently due to a problem with the commedia server situated somewhere in Yorkshire. There was no output for any shows from the Bridge those weeks. This problem probably affected other community radio stations.

As far as having no come back to the radio show is concerned that is one thing I do not accept. As far as radio shows go it is incredibly interactive. There is a concurrent chat room monitored in the studio, you can text the show and you can even come in as a ‘fan of the week’ if you ask.

There is precious little media coverage of Walsall FC and yet here is a show that provides two hours of Walsall related chat and skits and it is hosted by real fans and not by some journo who has no real knowledge of our club or culture. If you don’t like it then I’m sorry. Suggest how it could be improved, get involved or alternatively just don’t listen.

We are constricted by what is available at the station itself. We can’t put callers on the air for example. This is a real bind because we’d love to get fans of other clubs on the air to preview or review other fixtures. Having said this we are working with the Bridge to see how things at the station can be improved and help Walsall to get its own specific radio station rather than depending on stations from other boroughs. This is one of many voluntary/charitable causes we support in our own little way.
However I am proud of the fact that we are offering a service that isn’t offered by almost every other fansite. We always try to be innovative. A lot of the zines were printed on the day of publication meaning they were bang up to date. Know however we have to go to press on a Thursday before a Saturday game which still gives a lot more flexibility to be bang up to date than almost every other zine and a lot of matchday programmes.

With regards to the website (and the net rivalry) we took over the site in June 2003 taking over from Chris Miller who has done sterling work for all web based Saddlers fans for as long as many have been on the net. Along with Chris who fantastic work maintaining the stats there are three of us who do most of the administration. All of us were regulars on this site upto this point.

Addie (the hooded claw) was on this site from day one as anyone who can remember the biscuit thread could testify. Then there is Shifnal (Albert) and myself (Tuncy). Ian might notice he has had very few people to pun with over the past 15 months.

There are also a lot of other people who have been involved with the various things to do with NMFE/CTD/OSB and are very proud and protective of what they have done. If they get abused then its possibly understandable that they post back. I don’t know the identities of every poster but maybe there are people who don’t feel that they can post their opinions on here without someone aiming personal criticism back.

That is not a criticism of this site but we took opinions from various people on what they felt was good and bad about message boards and the rivals set up in particular. The feed back was that people didn’t like the level of abuse and that on Rivals there was too much “yowm •••• yow am” posts from other clubs. So we set up a code of conduct for posting and a separate board for “banter”. Some people might say the banter board has not been a success. I would disagree. It has removed one of the issues that people found annoying about posting on rivals messageboards across the network.

As far as the level of posts goes on the mb, we did up to the problems with the servers at Rivals HQ at about this time last year more than match the number of posts on this board. This dropped quite considerably since the troubles which have hopefully now been sorted.

This board is far superior in terms of ease of posting and often the loading speeds. That is something, sadly, that we have no control over.

There are many positive things that the zine has done. Some you may notice and others you won’t. From silly little things like the alteration of the fence out of the exit to the retail car park to help ease pedestrian congestion to things like the balloons at several matches over the years. And if you think that things like the balloons weren’t effective then ask whether it is a coincidence that at Sheffield United they organised 17,000 balloons at their next home game and that Gillingham tried (and failed) to organise their own balloon stunt on the final day.

There was a togetherness on the final day that harked back to a happier time rather than a relegation. It’s a shame that it has dissipated so quickly.

The zine has been around in various guises for coming up to six years and 35 issues. I hope that it will be around for a fair few more yet.

As is said in every issue of the printed zine all comments are welcomed. If they are constructive, or at least quote specifics so much the better because they are easier to act on that way.

If you want to continue this discussion please feel free to email. Its not that I am afraid of it being conducted in the public arena it’s just that I cannot necessarily state when I will be online to answer as quickly as I would like and an email will grab my earliest attention. The address is on the website I won’t print it here because of webcrawlers picking it up to spam it hideously.

Sorry for taking up so much of your time.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

Outstanding contribution, DC, polemic in intensity. An expostulation of Homerian proportion, bordering on dialectic.

In other words - good post, although I fear you've done nothing for perceived inter-board rivalry

Cheers all,
Exile

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:23 am: Edit

To be able to react to things said about you on the show, therefore, you have to listen to it? You can ask to go on if you disagree? How about inviting peole on with a different point of view, or is that too difficult? Sorry, Steve, that is not how decent broadcasting standards work.
As for your board, it might get a better response if it wasn't for the "mafia" who leap on you if you dare to disagree with their particular "world view". It happens here, too, but there is always someone to back you up here, even C&D gets support.

By sj (195.93.49.167) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 07:33 am: Edit

DC I'm late for work now, but good post. I always buy the zine and always enjoy it, well done to your team.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

My word, you do get some strange reactions on here sometimes, don’t you? There isn’t an anti Fanzine thing, it’s just several people have expressed an opinion that they don’t buy it and don’t like the “humour” in it. Free country isn’t it? Some of the things that are said in it are over the top at times, though. If the editors objected so much to Sheff’s outburst at Chesterfield, why didn’t they ask him to contribute something to say why?

What you are missing, though, is that it represents nothing, other than the views of a very small number of people who produce it. Yes, you might say, we welcome contributions. The answer to that is, of course, when? What’s the schedule? When are your editorial deadlines, so I know how long I’ve got? But there aren’t any, are there? There can’t be, because it’s an amateur production by a few individuals who turn it out. That’s not denigrating it in any way and I’m not saying it’s not worthwhile doing, but, unless you can widen the contributions and widen the appeal, that’s as much as it will stay. Whether, if you did, it could still be called a “fanzine” in the tradition of them, it’s hard to say. Personally, I think you will have lost nothing and gained a lot, as the traditional “fanzine”, I believe, deserves the same treatment as the traditional rag mag, with which they share a sense of humour – a quick glance at someone else’s copy.

As for the radio show, I think you are on even more of a loser. That is representing the views of the presenters and no one else. Yes, I know I could listen to it and ring in, but I don’t share the sense of humour and, quite frankly, as a family man, I have better things to do on a Thursday night. Therein lies your problem again – how do you increase participation? Personally, I think you are back to getting in a more a balanced view of the world by not keeping it to a few and a tendency to follow a certain weltanschaung.

Please believe me, this lot isn’t meant as a criticism, it’s more that I think you are at a crossroads with where you want to go with all of this and I am offering some advice as to my opinions. In the poll we have been running on the website, Merson’s popularity rating has dropped to around 33 percent. Granted there hasn’t been that many votes, but it is getting on for 100 and, as a statistician, I know that’s a significant number. The Evening Mail ran a “Do You Think Colin Lee Did a Good Job for Walsall” poll and 60 percent thought he had. That means Merson’s current popularity rating is hovering around that of Colin Lee. Poking fun at the previous manager is not the issue for most fans at the moment, our current league position is and the fanzine, and the radio show, if they want to expand, need to reflect that point of view. If not, unless things improve on the pitch rapidly (which they might do, but I doubt it), you’ll be sounding like apologists for the club, which I know you certainly aren’t.

Anyway, all of that was only an opinion, wasn’t it?

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

I'm going to dare to try and turn this thread back to the match. A poor performance generally but think some people dive way in over the top at times. Paston is looking good for me, and can't say he makes any mistakes except for releasing the ball a bit too early at times. Wright had a good game at full back, and Wrack did okay for such an out of position selection. Roper looked better but not back to his best, while I think that Julian Bennett has been the find of the season for us. In fact I dread to think how bad things may have gotten without him. All in all the defence looked better and more solid than they did at the start of the season, although not the finished article.

Midfield is, for me, our underlying problem. For the first few games I thought Standing looked the weak link, but things seemed to have turned right round because the view of the match that I have show him to be up and down the pitch, looking comfortable on the ball and always looking for sensible use of the ball. At times on Saturday he held onto the ball and I could see him desperately seeking someone to play it to but the options just weren't there.

I wanted to see Kris Taylor get a chance but he didn't have a good game, although he was no worse than anyone else and made a couple of telling tackles. He should be given another chance. I like Daryl Taylor but agree he is lightweight and would be more effective as a 20 mins to go sub. I think Darren Wrack may give us a better shape on the right. Kinsella seems to be working hard and not playing all that badly but I expected him to have an influence but he isn't.

Up front both strikers worked hard with little effect, and at times some of the footwork of Matty was great. Two criticisms though are that they sometimes react late rather than anticipate, and when Atieno came on he provided an ariel option which Matty and Jorge didn't read or look to play off. At times Jorge and Atieno challenged for the same ball.

I have not criticised Paul Merson yet because I really like the guy and really wanted him to succeed, but I think I have reached the stage where I have to agree that he isn't gonna turn things around. As stated elsewhere he is totally inanimate during the game and even if that approach is acceptible for 80 minutes, it isn't when there are 10 minutes to go and we are losing, but he still remained slouched against the dug out when surely he should have been urging the team on at that stage. I looked across at him at the final whistle and I honestly believed he was gonna walk into Bonsers office and resign, such was his body language. The team is lacking direction and leadership both on and off the park at the moment, and the fact that there were double training sessions all last week, and every player was supposedly totally in the clear as to what their role was is startling because it looked as though they had never played together before to be honest.

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

Also meant bring up that I thought the ref was actually an "awayer" if there is such a thing. His decisions during the match were very much in favour of Brentford although I think that this is no excuse for the result, but I did think our penalty appeal was a strong one. He also booked Standing for diving when it was also a strong appeal for a free kick on the edge of the box, Rankin for Brentford was a diving specialist, and escaped a booking for diving in the 2nd half when the referee turned down his penalty appeal but deemed no dive ???

On another day we would have had a ref who actually looked at his linesman and saw him flagging long before the penalty decision. Luckily for Brentford he never even gave it a thought to have a quick glance across at the time of the challenge just inside our half.

No excuse but when things are bad the luck isn't with you either.

Also did anyone see their keeper give Kinsella the 3 finger salute quite blatantly and unashamedly when he gave them the ball back back in their own

Return to 2004-05 Season