Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Huddersfield (a) - League - 2nd October 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Huddersfield (a) - League - 2nd October 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:44 am

By reading saddler (82.133.66.158) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

2-0 down in 2 minutes

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

And of course we are so good at coming back from behind and winning! NOT

By Grim Reaper (213.122.91.24) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Time for people to go.... Sorry Paul and Iffy but your time is up!!!

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

At least the feckin fat PRICK will be gone after this, surely.

By Walsall Supporter (82.37.192.189) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Only positive point is that Huddersfield have been playing well at home this season, only losing twice, so they are an on form team. And of course our away record isn't the best ......

By penchant (81.156.233.25) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

The 'fat prlck' looked as though he was the player most likely to make things happen for you today, so if he goes you will lose a chunk of creativity.

I have to agree though that he either needs help or replacing as manager. Your lot spent most of the game arguing with each other. Not a picture of harmony.

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

He is our most (only?) creative player. But can he manage? Nnnnnnnno.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

He's said that he won't stay as a player if he loses the managers job. So be it.

Paston - Can't be blamed for either goal in my opinion. Saved well for the first in tricky conditions but no one picked up Abbott for the follow up. Possible foul on Wright for the 2nd but he should have cleared anyway. Paston was blamed by some for that but I can't see how. The defender was there to do a job, he didn't, end of story.

Wright - Not as confident today. Made a couple of last ditch tackles to save us but other than that was poor.

Kris Taylor - Don't care what anyone says about Zigor, he's far better than Taylor at left back. Taylor was poor, weak in the challenge, easily beaten and even his passing wasn't up to scratch.

Bennett - Nowhere near as impressive as the rest of the season but still won his fair share of challenges. Silly booking.

Roper - Strong as usual but had his trademark silly challenges thrown in. The tendancy of both centre halves to let the ball go over the top of them and wait for whistle that doesn't come is really getting on my t1ts. Play to the fudge whistle and stop looking for the linesman when you should be defending!

Osborn - Sorry, but I still can't see his reason for being in the team. Should have closd down quicker for their first goal, he'd already been warned with a similar long range effort earlier. Passing was awful, even short 10 yard passes weren't finding their men. And chipped in with his obligatory passing the ball into touch when under no pressure.

Broad - Running and working hard lots again. Kept it simple. I'd have him in my midfield every time from what I've seen of the others.

Wrack - Worked hard today, you could see he was up for it. As Penchant says he was the main culprit for shouting and arguing with others which isn't good.

Merson - He may be creative but still too many fancy flicks intstead of playing it simple. Too much moaning to the referee for decisions he got right. Get on with it.

Fryatt - Looked our biggest threat but missed some great chances even if he had created them for himself. I know for a fact that if Birch had missed them people would have been ready to hang him. Whats with the lying on the floor for ages while the ball is still in play after he's missed a chance or had a decision go against him? Get off the bloody floor and get on with trying to win the ball back. Could/should have had a hat trick today.

Jorge - Normal performance, hard working but had one great chance in the second half that he should have scored from. Seems to be enjoying captaincy and you could see him talking to the other players trying to get them going.

Subs:

Daryl Taylor - Looked lively a couple of times but didn't make the impact he has previously.

Birch - I hope people saw what he contributed when he came on. Nothing spectacular but he holds the ball up so well. It was him taking the ball on his chest well and waiting for others to catch up with play that led to our goal but I'm sure most people won't have seen that. No coincidence our best forward play and sustained pressure was after he came on.

After that Merse has to go. As for team changes? Zigor and Bewers/Bazelely in at full backs for Wright and K Taylor. I'd drop Osborn for Kinsella and Merson for Birch and play Jorge behind a front 2 of Fyatt and Birch. Jorge works hard and would be a good link between midfield and attack because Merse for all his fancy flicks and passes hasn't got the edge to force his way past people from deep like Jorge can.

By WSOne (81.178.198.212) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

I agree Wright was poor today and was at fault for their second. He was easily muscled off the ball and gave Paston no chance. Merson should resign!

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Agree with your match summary there Magic Man. Despite all of the hysterics on the message board, our performance wasn't too bad today. Indeed, as you mentioned on another day we could easily have scored 3 or 4.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

It's no good when you're already 3 - 0 down, Cannock. There's enough to show that, with proper management, coaching and tactics, we should be climbing the table. So let's get rid and get some in.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

I can't beleive even now on Saturday evening we are talking about Paul Merson the manager of Walsall. This is a joke right.

Here is a man who is the worst thing thats ever happened to this club. Since he has been here he has done nothing but big time damage. He completely upset the balance of the side last season because of his inability to work. A total luxury player.

Then he gets the job and lets not forget when he took over led us to a 5-0 loss on his first game. A loss that cemented our place in division 1. That after the club gave him six weeks leave to sort out his addictions. On full pay of course.

How does he repay us? Well today he is giving out betting tips in a national newspaper while taking us to the bottom 3 of the 1st division. This is a joke right. Surely Jeremy Beadle is in on this. This can't be happening.

If Paul Merson is still at this club by Monday afternoon then im not pointing the blame at him. How can i, it's there for all to see the man hasn't a feckin clue what he is doing. I will point the blame at the board for continuing to subject paying supporters to this complete and utter shambles.

By cat3 (203.218.192.237) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Just play Direct football, our squad will over run any competition in this league. Utilize the whole football field, play right and left and not always trying to overpower and run straight in the middle. Paul needs to understand his position and move around the field and not stand in the middle waiting for the ball to pass to him and run like a truck, go down right and left wing, attract your opponent and you will get more clearance room-play. My gosh, this is the pathetic 2nd division, what am I seeing here, any dummy can see this clearly. There's really no contest with our current squad. Play correctly and nothing complicated. Simplicity is the best there is to a winning formula!

By timeforachange (218.178.188.49) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:06 am: Edit

we should be using the squad as best we can, and should be able to walk this division with the players we have.

how about 5-3-2

paston

bennett roper emblem/kofi
wright aranalde

broad ? (wrack/kinsella/k taylor?)

merson/d taylor

jorge birch/fryatt

this way everyone is playing in their natural positons, and the wingbacks will be able to get forward and creat some chances for the front two, instead of them having to do everything themselves.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Merson has refused to play the 3 5 2 the squad is set up for since the shambles at Chester pre season. Ask him. On the other hand, let's hope you don't get the chance to.

By Mark W (80.225.103.124) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:35 am: Edit

Thankfully I didn't make the trip to Huddersfield but I do admire the 437 fans who did.That's the figure WM gave.
It was just too obvious that we would get hammered again.My prediction was 4-0.Suppose I was nearly right as they scored all 4.
Well Merse said he would take us out of this division did'nt he.We are officially a laughing stock.I bet teams can't wait to play us.
Do all of you who voted in the poll for him to stay still think so?
And so much for Iffy's inside knowledge of a Huddersfield side that scraped up from the 4th div through the play-offs.(yes it's still the 4thdiv) He should be the first to be sacked.
All told I don't really blame Merse.He just cannot do it.I do however aportion blame to JB who appointed him and is prolonging the agony for Merse and all of us.

By Tongue in cheek Saddler (219.88.33.141) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:09 am: Edit

There's no such thing as an easy game at this level.

By Jorge14 (195.93.50.162) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

How can you justify playing Mark Wright, the weakest player in the squad, at right back?
How can you justify keeping Simon Osborn in this team as our most consistently bad player of the last month? He is finished, and is an embarrasment to professional footballers everywhere.
How can you justify wasting valuable resources on a player like Jon Bewers, when it seems obvious that Merse isn't going to play him anymore?
How can you justify our league position Merse?
How can you justify your performance as Walsall manager?

One thing that can be justified would be Mr Bonsor calling you to the board room on Monday morning. Because just like your short corners Paul, you'll never work.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.67.69) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Disorganised, amaturish, irksome, rabble, with no end product.
But that's enough about the half-time refreshements kiosque.

I've run out of adjectives to describe this "team's" away performances. Of course Cannock reckons it wasn't that bad. No Cannock it was, the reason we created chances was because Huddersfield - like every other team that has wiped the floor with us this season - were there for the taking. This league is awful, and yet we have contrived to take 10 points from 11 games in it, which is beyond belief. Of course we could just stop moaning and get behind the lads(!.
As ever yesterday the support was superb by the way, about the only thing about this club that looks like anything above conference level is the support. Every fellow supporter I spoke to yesterday reckons its time for a change.

By leedssaddler (62.252.224.12) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

I can't remember a worse defensive performance from a Walsall side. Every time Huddersfield attacked they looked like they could score.

I met up with a Town fan from work in the pub after and he reckons they don't normally play long ball stuff. However, you didn't need a coaching badge to realise that their front two were quicker than Roper and Bennett and that, as we were defending on the halfway line, all they had to do was nudge it past and collect the ball.

What was so worrying was that Merse/Iffy did nothing to change the tactics and so despite what he says in the press, he does still seem to have a we'll score more goals than you mentality.

We've changed from defending too deep under Graydon/Lee to using the offside trap with two slowish centre backs and i don't know what's more scary.

On a similar point, defending like this, it's only a matter of time before Paston gets sent off for mistiming a challenge and we have no keeper on the bench.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.186.183.150) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

What a load of TRUE sh!te. We are useless. Yet to win a game away from home against the likes of Bournemouth, Oldham, Torquay, Doncaster, Chesterfield and Huddersfield.
Thank god I was on a stag weekend and did not pay to see us.

By MERSE OUT (62.31.216.111) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

sheffield do you actually watch walsall games? When you come on here the weekend we played you did something apart from going to the match, what you doing next week washing CL's pants?
MERSE OUT

By hullsaddler (217.137.166.29) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Well I thought it was pretty depressing stuff.Didnt think much of Huddersfield but at least when they attacked they did so with pace & had men up in support.Admittedly some joke defending did help them as well,.I did think we looked reasonable in patches but were unable to turn it into anything.Not sure how Jorge did not take that 2nd half chance ,3-2 would have led to an interesting finish.Saw Merson beat the ground in frustration when the chance went begging,so at least it shows he cared.Hope Scunthorpe & Grimsby dont go up otherwise at this rate Darlington will be my nearest game nexr season.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Leedssaddler has it bang on and mentioned something I forgot to.

We've gone from defending too deep under Lee and also at the end of Graydon's spell to almost defending on the half way line. Its so easy to play against, because our defenders are facing forward but their strikers are facing our goal they have an obvious head start when chasing a through ball or over the top ball. The passes don't even need to be accurate because there is so much space to play the ball into.

The defence should be lined up about 10-15 yards outside the box but be on their toes ready to get a tackle in instead of trying to play this ridiculous offside trap that Merson has instilled in his centre halves. By the time the ball has been played through the defenders arm is up in the air and they are flat footed leaving Paston with a difficult task of saving a one-on-one. Someone blamed Emblen for continually doing this which I agree with but when has he ever done it before this season? He's only doing what he and others have been told to do by Merse.

Play to the feckin whistle instead of trying to copy George Grahams Arsenal defence! It was easier then because there wasn't as much pace in the game and his defenders were also organised which helps.

By penchant (81.156.233.25) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

I don't know how good/big SheffieldSaddler thinks that Walsall are, but if he is thinking they are so big that they should be winning at the likes of Huddersfield, then he has a lot to learn. The best way to get out of a division is to accept that you are where you are purely on merit .......and to try to improve

By Mark D (81.77.165.69) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

And so do you, you patronising prat.

By penchant (81.156.233.25) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

If you mean I have a lot to learn, I wouldn't disagree.

I do know what patronising means though...... and you clearly don't.

By Fensaddler (82.37.170.79) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

We are where we are on merit, just as we were in a higher league last season on merit. We have the players and the infrastructure to do better than we are, hence the frustration - we should at least be giving the better teams in this league a run for their money, and we are not.

By penchant (81.156.233.25) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I'm not looking for an argument, but the players you have are the ones that took you down aren't they? I don't think your infrastructure is superior to many of the clubs in this league either. Several of the teams in this division have an academy and are structured for better things. Nearly half the teams are as well supported as Walsall, so all in all it is no great surprise to anyone else in this league that you are not top of the pile, though it is a surprise that you are near the bottom at the moment.

You played some decent stuff on Saturday, but you couldn't hide the soft heart to your team, which is probably what got you relegated in the first place.

At the risk of sounding patronising, I have always held a respect for Walsall since our tussles in the old 4th div in the early eighties and I wish you well.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Penchant - The players that took us down were playing under a different manager who was playing every game to draw 0-0. Since then we have lost Vinny Samways, Paul Ritchie and Jimmy Walker, our 3 best players yet we still have a squad strong enough to be at the right end of the table if our manager had a clue what he was doing. Many of us know that there's no way on Earth we should be in this divison with the players we had last season. We were never in the relegation places last season until the last day. Colin Lee had spoken to Plymouth about their managers job the same week we played 2 crucial games against Burnley and Gillingham who were then below us and hadn't won for weeks. As such the players played with no committment or passion because they probably thought why should they if there manager has none? He let us down badly. Just 1 point from either of those games and we'd still be there now.

No organisation, no tactics and playing people out of position. Thats what we have now.

What do you know about our players, about the ones that didn't even play? We had 2 players that have been our regular full backs for the last 2 seasons not even in the squad yesterday because for some reason Merson decides to play 2 midfielders there instead.

It may not be a surprise to many other teams in the league that we're not top of the pile but it is surprising to many of us because we know our team better. We also know how difficult this divison is. We got promoted from it the last 2 times we have been in it when we had a much weaker team and the teams around us were much stronger such as Fulham, Man City, Stoke, Burnley, Reading, Wigan...I could go on.

We are a smaller club than many in this division alone and we know we don't have a right to beat any team, you have to earn that but we have a decent enough squad to be able to earn the right to win most weeks.

You'll soon see that when we start winning and flying up the table when we change manager in the next few days which is now surely going to happen.

If we don't then you are right and we'll deserve whatever happens to us but many Walsall fans no we are far better than where we are now.

You are commenting on us after one game and under the guidance (?!) of Merson. Lets see if you make the same judgment in the return fixture.

By penchant (81.156.233.25) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Good points and I thoroughly look forward to the return fixture.

BTW, This is only the fourth season since we were in what is now known as the Championship and I have to say that when we came down we thought we were too good to stay down too. We were in a slightly different position to you though, because we had a financial time bomb ticking in the background after the Steve Bruce/Barry Ruberry extravaganza.

Your future will primarily be governed by the quality and attitude of your chairman or board just as ours was. Merson wasn't the right choice on the last occasion that you needed a sensible decision, so you'll have to pray that the next decision is better otherwise you might plummet to the depths of league 2 just as we did.

Do you have any thoughts over who might be suitable for the job?

By WSOne (81.178.205.139) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Stan Ternent.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

The longer this season goes on the worse it gets. I used to dread opening up my internet browser on Sunday mornings last season for the results, the first thought running through my head being "how many did we concede". Now I'm getting the same gut-wrenching feeling this season, one league lower, and I am not a happy chappy.

When Merse was made manager, I expected a bit of upheaval, as that's what happens when there's a change at the top, regardless of how smoothly it is made (and Merse's appointment was not smooth). The new guy has to make his mark, the rest of the side has to get the old guy out of their hair (generally with a sigh of relief, it must be said), so things are bound to be disjointed for a while.

The only question is: "How long is that while supposed to be?" Seriously? It depends on the manager, their authority, their vision and their ability to make people believe in a goal and direct them to it.

The longer this season goes on, the less I believe Merson is showing any of these qualities. If he does, they're buried deeply, and the later he leaves it, the less effective he'll be. Already, if rumours are to be believed, some of the players are agitating for his removal, and they'll be hard to bring around if Merson is to get more time to prove himself. It is one thing to be a new manager, all naivety and enthusiasm, but you have to have a style. Merse has adopted the laid back style, all dress down and being matey in the changing room. This leaves him open to abuse from those who don't like to follow the leader without it being spelt out who that leader is. If Merse isn't spelling it out, then who is?

When it all boils down to it, if you haven't got the right style, all the will in the world won't make you a manager.

It's up to Bonser, and his assessment of the club and the finances. With money walking out of the door, not to return, every home game at 4.45, something's gotta give soon, and I would prefer it not to be my sanity.

Cheers all,
Exile

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Don't lose the sanity, we need it from you every now and again

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

MMF, gotta dis-agree with your opinion of Broad. If that bloke is a professional footballer, I'm a f@cking gibbon.

Broad stood there like a kid picking his nose whilst they took the quick free kick for the first goal. He ran like a headless chicken and hardly touched the ball. The entire midfield was absolute tosh, including Osborn, but as I keep saying, at least Osborn has the balls to still want the ball. Broad spent 60 minutes hiding before Merson rightly hauled him off.

What was more annoying was that overall, I didn't think there was a huge difference between the two sides. Both sides were shocking at the back, only difference was that they took their chances and we missed ours.

We were abysmal defensively, as were they. I do think 3-1 flattered them in one sense, but the other part of me says that no team can expect to get anything away from home when you make defensive mistakes like we did.

Broad and the centre halves need to shoulder the blame for the 1st goal, and Broad did get a rocket off Paston when the goal went in.

Mark Wright committed the cardinal sin of letting a ball bounce in front of him for the 2nd.

For their 3rd, Merson should take a look as that's the sort of ball he should be producing every match. Chris Brandon was superb for them, whilst Abbott became the next striker to make Ian Roper look like a carthorse.

Merson asked for 15 matches before we judged, we're now into 11 matches and nowhere near improving.

I've virtually given up hope of even reaching mid-table to be honest.

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Let me add to that, so nobody says I'm not mentioning it, Osborn was to blame for the 3rd as it was him losing possession that led directly to Brandon splitting our defence open like they weren't even there. Talk about a flat back line, we looked like a table football back 4 when that pass came through.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Defending too high, cos there's no defensive midfielder covering and, otherwise, too big a gap between defense and attack? Basic bloody tactics?

By Will (81.19.57.130) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

I've never been more apathetic about Walsall. I just can't see where the next win is coming from. I feel terrible writing this but I really can't be arsed going on Saturday even tho I'm a ST holder and have been for some time now. If Merse is still there (more than likely), we'll get well beaten by Colchester and I'll miss most of the England game and come back home feeling angry, dejected and depressed. I'm getting married in Dcember and have a 101 things to do so wasting three hours watching this drivel is just a waste of time. I'll not be there and hopefully everybody else will avoid it and send a clear message to Bonser

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.170) on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

Exile I feel for you, and the other foreign fans. I reckon you've had a rough deal off the internet wallers this season because to read about us on the internet you'd think there was some hope. There isn't, and there never has been. This season has been a complete shambles. Those of us that go regularly have generally known this from fairly early on. You go to games and then you come on the internet and its like "oh we were so unlucky", its embarrassing. We are woeful, and heading for the 4th division unless there are some big decisions taken. I spoke to about 25 fellow fans yesterday, none of them want Merson as manager, none of them thought yesterday was anything but a deserved defeat, then you come on the internet and think you just dreamt the whole thing, its madness.

By Exile (203.167.253.205) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

I've been sat on the fence for a long time, because I'm not there for the games, Geordie, and because I'm trying to believe there's some hope, and that there's more balance than the reporting says. To be blunt, though, if we were even half way decent and had as much of each game, lady luck (if nothing else) would have smiled on us by now and we'd have buried some chances, controlled the midfield, defended better and won. It takes longer to form an opinion as an absentee fan, unfortunately. Mine's now been formed.

The 'glass half full' mob see the seed of the side and the positive potential that is surely there. the 'glass half empty' mob think there's no hope with Merse in charge, and see the negative reality instead.

As a Walsall fan, I'm used to my glass being empty, chipped and lipstick-stained, but in the last few years it has been bigger, shinier and reasonably full. Give me back my glass from the last few seasons - I don't want this one!

I reckon after the relative stability of Graydon and Lee, who both increased our average managerial span, the fans are now more aware, and more vocal regarding what they want and what they think the club needs. Very empowering. Can the club cope with fans that care, and say so? There's a thought for JB and the boys.

Merse must shape up right now, or ship out. I'm sure we're better than relegation fodder - definitely top half and probably play-off contenders, I think I said at the start, all those games and dropped points ago. It really is about time we started getting the wins to support my theory, but it looks like the Flat Earth Society have more chance of being right than we have of playing like a decent football team.

Bring back the old days when we used to argue about pay on the day, seating arrangements, tannoy announcers and Roy Whalley's (alleged) shortcomings instead. If only it were that simple all the time!

Cheers all,
Exile

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

Hope your bottoms not too sore Exile!

By BABELKO (194.128.85.65) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:45 am: Edit

Merson is our best player, he needs help to coach the team maybe bring in Chris Nicholl as the team coach. Iffy would do a better job playing up front for us! I was at huddersfield and the team was a shambles players were getting in each others way, we need a coach ASAP or manager (wish things were different cos i really like merse).

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 10:57 am: Edit

I’ll argue for as long as you like about the merits of Merson as a manager, his need for proper experienced coaches and whether he should be sacked or not, but he is not, never has been and never will be our “best player”. He showboats, doesn’t defend, disrupts the balance of the side, never chases back and commits the criminal offence of losing possession more than any other player with his ridiculous side of the right foot first time flicks to no one in particular. He was good once, but not now and I’m not sure he wasn’t over rated then.

Sorry, he may be nice and I was over the moon at the time, but I wish to God we’d never signed him, as in forty years I've never seen a player have a more disruptive effect on a team.

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

Don't sit on the fence Neil.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

It was from the heart, believe me. Typical example of all froth and no substance. Give me someone who knows how to work anytime. If he doesn't manage to score or lay a goal on, something which is going to be comparitively rare, let's face it, then his contribution to the team is a big fat zero, unless you like his style of standing with his hands on his hips watching the opposition player he's just given the ball away to running off down the pitch to set up another opposition attack. Opposition fans always rate him because they're frightened of the occasional good thing, but they don't watch the sheer unadulterated tripe he comes up with the rest of the time.
As I said, whatever the merits or not of his tenure as manager, his time here as a player has been almost pure rubbish. Just how many good games has he had?

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Monday, October 04, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Gotta agree Neil. Coming back from Chesterfield my mate said that Merson has got to be the most disappointing player we've ever signed. Initially I was going to object because I was so excited and proud about us signing such a "name". However, I had to admit that he had nowhere near fulfilled the potential that I expected.

Shame really.

In answer to your question, I can only really think of two very good games, the first and last of last season.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 09:03 am: Edit

Henry Newton or Steve Daly? Just trying to think of really disappointing players we've signed!

By mikedoyle (81.130.224.204) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Alfie Biggs

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Ouch, that hurt! How about "The Man Who Never Was" - Armstrong?

By Chrome Dome (194.72.37.252) on Tuesday, October 05, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I sometimes used to watch Stoke when Alan Hudson made a come back (early 80's). He kept them up that year, but he never seemed to do anything. He would just stand over the ball looking as cocksure as hell, then roll it off to someone, chase after it, and demand it back again. The opposition seemed mesmerised by him and he could get away with murder. In one game he nutmegged an opposing striker on the edge of Stoke's penalty area to pass back to the keeper. Apart from against QPR who thought 'sod this for a game of soldiers' and just tackled him.

By Oscar (203.221.26.124) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 09:04 am: Edit

About 3 or 4 years ago Merson totally orchestrated everything Villa did and it was an injustice that he wasn't rewarded by more England caps.
He surely must have been very very unlucky not to get a number of caps even so late in his career.
Unfortunately I don't have any tapes of that era, but he seemed to control everything, free kicks, corners, midfield, attack.
I'm as niaive (help Neil!) as Keegan when it comes to tactics so I just accepted it for what it was - a great player in a late flowering. I didn't realise at that stage that he was hard to fit into a team because it all seemed so natural and so classy.
Maybe Merse could think back to that time and how he played and what system was used and try to emulate it.

By Oscar (203.221.26.124) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

I agree with mikedoyle about Biggs.
We were miles ahead come Christmas and then collapsed as Taylor forgot how to score and Murray felt his age and the heavy grounds.
I was certain there was a conspiracy at the time, but it was just a red hot team losing its edge.
Biggs came in to try and get us back on course but it was a waste of time.
Alfie looked threatening, but delivered little and we just kept hitting the ball in the air for him, totally abandoning what had got us to the top in the first place.
He still lived in Bristol so didn't do much training with the lads and it showed.
What a name though - Alfie Biggs - a comic book strikers name if ever there was one.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 10:23 am: Edit

Bit like the old Middlesboro back four? You know, Craggs, Madden? Who were the other two? Sounded like they spent their time kicking Roy Race up in the air!

As for Merson, you could say the same about Pompey, but I think the answer is you need workers arond him. You need, in effect to build the side around him and let the other midfielders carry the extra workload caused by having him in the side. And, let's face it, they do get a lot of extra work. The problem with us is we have never (and will never) have the resources to change a team around to fit one man in. Lee tried it and failed, hence looking for the "big" centre forward who could play the lone striker, having to get the midfield legs in, in the shape of Gary O'Neil. On our resource levels, you get one shot at getting it right and that's it.
I personally think the only way to play with him is 3 4 1 2, or 3 4 2 1. The strange thing is, he's never tried it since Chester, but I doubt we have the steel (or the legs) in midfield to make it work anyway. You need quality and pace and "up and downness" in the wing backs and steel and "able to get the foot innness" in the central midfield 2.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

I’ve remembered myself – Craggs, Spraggon, Madden and Boam. What names for a back four. Guaranteed to put the fear of God into the heart of any namby pamby soft southern forward!

By Chrome Dome (194.72.37.252) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Billy Ashcroft!! Remember him? Big bloke, big hair, big tosh. Played centre-half or centre forward and you couldn't spot the join.

By Napoloen X1V (163.1.60.62) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Question: Have we paid the last instalment on Alfie Biggs yet? Talk about a con....

Same goes for our 'international' centre half Trevor Smith. Nice way of transferring £18,000 to the Blues for a crock. Another of the dodgy deals that go on in football.

By Neil Ravenscroft (62.172.127.2) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Bugger that, what about the 90,000 we paid Blues for Armstrong, who mysteriously got injured in training and never kicked a ball for us? Nothing to with Wheldon having just gone to Blues as Chairman?

By WarsawPact (217.205.45.94) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Have we spent over £1million on transfer fees since 1888?

The big money signings that I can think of offhand:

Buckley £175,000
Leitao £150,000
Rimmer £100,000
Saville £100,000
Armstrong £90,000

I suppose there's enough £50k's etc. around to make up the rest.

What about £2million?

By Chrome Dome (194.72.37.252) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

We had a striker in the late 70's who cost £75000 - it'll come to me soon...

Or did we sell him for that much??

Terry something?

By WarsawPact (217.205.45.109) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

Terry Austin?

Replaced Alfie Wood at centre forward.

By Chrome Dome (194.72.37.252) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Yes, thanks mate. I was getting a headache over that one.
Alf Wood - I remember an FA cup match v. Swansea that we won 4-1. Anyway Alfie was up against this centre-half who had played for Wrexham for years until Toshack signed him. Talk about two old campaigners. They knew all the tricks and were fouling each other all afternoon. The ref got it wrong every time, and both found it very amusing as they got on with their own private battle.

By Chrome Dome (194.72.37.252) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Just discovered that Austin went to Mansfield with Dave Syrett coming here in a deal that valued Syrett at £105,000. Thanks to Google and a stags website for that. I'd completely forgotten about Syrett.

By mikedoyle (81.130.224.204) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Terry Austin was surely much later than Alf Wood,anyhow another one to add to the list of dissappointing money signings,a good first season but nothing after that.
While I`m on add Adrian Thorpe a great character,but couldn`t cross a ball,bit of a drawback for a winger!

By Dave Roe (217.37.14.235) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

I thought Adrian Thorpe was a cracking little player. I remember many matches at FP where virtually every player was booed off the pitch, only for the crowd to start cheering when Thorpe enetered to tunnel area.

Did we pay a fee for the infamous Dale Banton ? What a player he wasn't !

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

£75,000 I believe.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.178) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

No its correct Terry Austin was brought in at the back end of 77/78 as we successfully battled to avoid promotion. He joined the week after we played and beat Plymouth (with a first minute overhead-kick from the Buck), Plymouth being his former team. Austin was the make weight in the deal that took Paul Mariner to Ipswich if I remember. Austin was a player who always seemed to score against us, but was crap whilst with us, one of many.
Syrett joined the following season as we cruised to relegation.

By GordonBrown (81.131.134.55) on Wednesday, October 06, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

We paid money for Bamber (£20,000), Christie (£30,000) what did we pay for Naughton, Barber, Forbes, Childs (£10,000). They'll be calling us MoneyBags soon!

By Chrome Dome (194.72.37.252) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 08:41 am: Edit

Remember Ramsdens' free xmas turkeys for pensioners deal? I'm sure there's one on sale on e-bay.

By WarsawPact (217.205.45.109) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Why would you want to buy a pensioner?

By concrete hippo (62.249.193.163) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Ramsden's not 65 yet is he?

I know he's a turkey but surely not a pensioner?

By belgian saddler (213.118.127.232) on Thursday, October 07, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

i think you are underestimating our history as a buying club there Mr Brown, am sure bamber was more like £75,000 and i thought naughton, barber and forbes (£40,000??) were more than £10,000. could be wrong tho

Return to 2004-05 Season