Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Colchester (h) - League - October 9th 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Colchester (h) - League - October 9th 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:42 am

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.143) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

I have to say that was by far the best performance this season, everything seemed to tick. Merse,Bennett and Zigor were the best players today. Did you notice how much more the defenders appreciated being advised by Murphy instead of doing their own job when Paston plays?
Fryatt struggled and ozzy played his best this season but continues to give away perfomance.
A little more confident tonight lets just pray this is the win that we needed to reignite this season.
Mark Wright will be new coach on Monday!

By Shad (195.92.168.168) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

We were fantastic today, Merson was on another level- and deserved man of the match, although he didnt get it. Only problem was fryatt, birchy back?

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

Overall an excellent performance. We fully deserved the win with 6/7 clear chances. Merse hit the woodwork twice with 2 brilliant shots and their keeper made 4 excellent saves that were definite goals.

At last Osborn and Kinsella both played well (apart from a dodgy spell from Osborn in giving the ball away for their goal) but at least that kicked us into scoring action.

If we play like that every week, we will get automatic promotion.

Colchester are a good side in this league and you can see why, compact, no superstars, work together well as a team and defend well, very much like our first season under Graydon.

But for their keeper that would have been a hammering.

Keep it up Merson and everyone! Much happier tonight and England capped it all perfectly. The one downside was Fryatts inability to hold the ball up or to pass it simply. Too many times he lost the ball unecessary but that will go with time.

P.S. Hail Basil Fawlty Zigor. At last a left back at left back. Made the difference for me.

By WSOne (81.178.148.104) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Fryatt had a bad game no question. If Birch had played like that he would have been slaughtered by the boo boys! Double standards really.

By cully (81.107.12.65) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

The only difference Zigor made was to the comedy value of the game with a number of hilarious moments. Pity he's a crap footballer, we desperately need a left back. Where was Kris Taylor today?

By WSOne (81.178.148.104) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Kris Taylor was poor at left back against Huddersfield so deserved to be dropped. I also thought Aranalde played well today.

By Me2 (82.37.33.140) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Rubbish. Zigor was good today. He's Walsall through and through like Jorge.

OK, hes not the greatest, but he puts everything into his performance and on our budget thats what we need.

By Mark W (80.225.93.118) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

What game were you watching Cully.Zigor had a good game and should remain at left back.
If your looking for a crap player then look no further that Osborn.

By hullsaddler (83.100.133.95) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 07:05 pm: Edit

My first home game of season & certainly picked the right one.I thought that the team seemed to be playing for one another,supporting each others play & generally looking solid at the back & inventive moving forward.Thought Merson was excellent as was Bennett.Really pleased he got that goal to cap a fine performance.The defence looked a lot more confident,Murphy seemed to be shouting a lot to organise them & I thought Ziggy had a good game with some timely interventions.Vast improvement over last saturday.On the negative side I thought the only poor performance was from Osbourne , he gave the ball away too often with sloppy passing ( as in the lead up to Colchester's goal).Would also like to see Kinsella be a bit more positive,his natural first move seemed to be to lay it back to the back 4.
In summary I really enjoyed the game, I just hope that we can build on that over the next few games,because if we play like that then Merson's job is safe & we will be moving up the table

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 07:14 pm: Edit

So, why were we so different? Disregarding the comments about individual players, what made the difference today? We seemed to play as a team, but what was the real difference? (I wasn't there today).

By cheese bag (81.131.66.225) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

Much better, MOM shared between Merse & Bennett. Merse actually played like a bloke who depended on a result todat instead of drifting in and out of the game.

Thought Zigor was decent today, loved the bandage incident that made him look like an Ice Cream Man

Not been too sure about Wright but he put a few whipped crosses in today, something that has been missing.

KEEP IT UP!!!!!!

By Stu (195.92.67.79) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Absolutely sublime, there can be no other description for our performance today.

Right from the kick off we looked up for it. Talking of which, I liked our kick off today. 3 players lined up on the left, we looked like we were going to oof it, and Merse darts off to the right with Wright. And some good set piece corner play as well.

Performance itself was stunning, the sort of thing I've been expecting all season. Tempo, energy and good forward play whilst looking really solid at the back.

Merson looked heads and shoulders above any other player on the park, purely amazing.

I think its a bit harsh on those criticising Fryatt and Osborn. Fryatt is still young and learning, he does like one touch too many or tries to hold on to it too long occasionally, but for such a small lad he holds the ball up superbly and makes some great runs.
Whilst Osborn got through so much work, the 'knockers' jumped on him every time he gave the ball away but he didn't give it away anymore than anyone else. Thought the midfield looked really solid for the first time in a long while and the defence was solid as a rock.

Hopefully, hopefully, this will kickstart things and we can push on from here.

If there was a negative, it was the missed chances, which is why I'd like to see another striker in. I see why Jorge is ahead of Birch, but when it comes to pairings, I think Birch and Fryatt make a better 'pair' than the individual pairing of Jorge and Fryatt.

By cully (81.107.12.65) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Lot of support for Zigor today from you folks, of course we often see things differently I hope that you appreciate his talents whenever he is in the team. I see a player that rarely tackles, has poor positional sense, cannot pass, cannot cross a ball without it striking an opponent, ditto clearing a ball down the line. Running around a bit and looking at the ball in a funny way does not justify his inclusion, just compare him with Mark Wright in todays match. Mark Wright got forward throughout the match a number of times to deliver a stream of crosses into the box. He made numerous tackles and despite looking a little lightweight he still manages to get his foot in or any part of his body to try to win the ball. His positive contribution far outweighs his occasional mistakes. Lets not forget that this isn't his natural position but with each game he is learning and improving and adds more to our attack than Zigor does. Zigor has lost what ever he may have had the moment that Pedro Matias stopped being a regular in the side. Past performances do not justify a place in the team unless you want a comedy routine. Well done Zigor, you were very funny today but you are still crap.
I've just seen the highlights of our match on Sky, for any body that has seen it watch Zigors attempt at being a defender.

By K J C (195.188.152.14) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

claptrap cully, Zigor was a contender for man of the match today with a number of timely interceptions and covering tackles behind the centre backs.
He did well going forward too.... you and I must've watched different matches!

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Well cully you must have watched today's game with your eyes closed and you certainly can't have seen Kris Taylor at Huddersfield last week.

Zigor is 10 times better in that position than anyone else we have. Watch his defending in the box. Watch the simple headers he wins that Taylor/anyone else doesn't that mean we keep possession instead of having to defend another attack from that side.

Hull - If you thought Osborn and Kinsella were not great today you'll be glad you haven't seen them before at home! I thought it was both their best performances of the season today. Yes Osborn went off in the secod half but overall he was much better than in recent weeks.

I agree with Stu, this is what we expect to see and when we do so every week, we WILL be promoted. No question. Good riddance Iffy if thats the impact!

PS Zigor and Wright are there to defend first and foremost which I think overall they both did quite well. Zigor doesn't bomb forward quite as often and get crosses in but instead plays a simple pass further up the field for someone else to get forward just like any good full back should.

Sorry cully but all I can see is you can't have watched our other "left backs" very closely this season.

Another case of slagging someone else off just for the sake of it because thats what they're used to doing to that player.

I slag Osborn off most weeks but not today because he had a much better game.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

ONE BASIL FAWLTY
THERE'S ONLY ONE BASIL FAWLTY

By cully (81.107.12.65) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

and I thought I was being constructive with my observations and comments. I think I have just proved that there is a parallel universe, in mine Basil Fawlty was a character played by John Cleese an actor of comic proportions! Good job you said he was 10 times better etc etc, if he was 9 times I might have doubted it!

By Geoff Whiting (84.64.7.194) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Seems everyone but cully appreciated the contribution that Ziggy made to the performance today. Yet cully saw nothing wrong with Mark Wright over on the right-side, and in total contrast heaps praise on him.

I think it would be wrong to seriously criticise anyone today, it was a good team performance, we dominated much of the game, at times we just skinned 'em, we thoroughly deserved the points and could have won by a very good score but for some wayward finishing, bad luck with the woodwork, lucky defensive blocks and inspired goal-keeping, but I was getting impatient with Mark Wright in the first half because of the number of times he got into crossing positions and just didn't attempt to get the ball over, playing short passes inside instead.

Overall I was happy with Mark Wright, but I think no more so than Ziggy. I'd like to see this side kept together now for a few games, if what we've seen today aganst a tidy Colchester side is anything to go by, we could gel into a decent side and start climbing the table.

Onwards and upwards !

By Salop Saddler (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

It was a really pleasing win today. Above all I was pleased for Merson. He's found himself in the eye of a storm lately, (and I agree, he's placed himself there with silly predictions and questionable tactics) but with both media and supporters on his back he must really be feeling the strain. I hope that this is the turning point for him and the team. It should be, and I trust it will be.

As for our new coach. For what it's worth my fivers on Graham Taylor.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

You were constructive cully which makes your criticism of Zigor even stranger as it wasn't a 1 line rant like some people would put.

However from what we've seen from other people in that position for the last couple of months then I think I am right in saying that we have no one better as a left back so he has to play.

And based on Kris Taylors performance at Huddersfield last week I would say Zigor was at least 9 times better. ;)

By Mark W (80.225.103.64) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Stu -What is it with you and Osborn? The guys a total liability.Is it only me who sees a player that can't run /shoot/tackle and constantly gives the ball away?
I would pick Joe Broad ahead of him every time.
I'm guessing but were you a big Tom Bennett fan by any chance?

By cully (81.107.12.65) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

I went to Huddersfield last week and Bournemouth earlier in the season and saw enough to see that I would prefer Kris Taylor over Zigor. I think that Kris is 11 times better!

By Stu (195.92.67.77) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

MarkW,

1) Instead of singling just myself out, why not ask that question to everyone else that thought he had a good game today

2) Yes, it must just be you as our manager still chose him as captain.

3) Why is it that when Osborn gives the ball away, it seems to count for 10x as much as when Leitao, Fryatt, Kinsella, Merson et al give the ball away?

4) Joe Broad? Serious? Based on what, I'm guessing the fact that Broad has two legs and a pulse.

5) In his first spell yes, at the beginning of his 2nd spell yes, towards the end, no.

And Ziggy is by far the best left back we've got at the club, despite his customary one mistake per match however costly. Kris Taylor is nowhere near as good defensively, or going forward.

By RedAlways (195.92.168.176) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Well done Paul Merson. Got the team selection about right, with the mix of experience and youth. He also had his best match since the baggies slaughter.

Those who say he is clueless are wrong. His problem is that he has had too many ideas, never giving one a chance to be proved right. Stick with the present setup, making single changes now and again.

During the Brentford game I started thinking about Zigor. Normally I consider him to be a poor defender who can not cross a ball. What he normally does however is to dominate the forward play - so much goes through him.

It is a pity that we do not have his ability to dominate in the centre of midfield. That whould give us our club captain for sure.

Good performance today, but Colchester were nothing special. Our next away game will be different. We need to build on today, adding to what we have achieved, A win away is possible!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.188.79.28) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

So we beat Colchester. We need to start winning away from home to win automatic promotion.
It is about time Merson and the players earned their pay packet. First time this year?

By DC (82.37.178.239) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

To be fair Sheff it would have been difficult to win away from home today.

But today was a good start. If we can continue to improve game on game like we have since the low point of Brentford Then I'm sure we'll all be happy.

Theres still a lot of hard work to do but tonight I am a very happy man.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I went to the game today and above all i was very pleased with the work rate and application. I thought the spirit was suprisingly good considering we went a goal down. It would have been easy for heads to drop then but they didn't and credit for that.

On the plus side i thought Merson had his best game for the club and Julian Bennett is a real player. I feel Bennett is by far our best player this season, he is showing maturity beyond his years and is a real confident performer. A great reader of the game. A few little mistakes he makes here and there will iron themselves out, im sure of that.

On the negative, im still not happy with the midfield. There just doesn't seem to be enough energy there. It's said that the defence have struggled because of thier confidence in the keeper but personally i just don't think they are protected well enough by the midfield. There needs to be more energy especially when we don't have the ball so we can close down more effectively.

A point on Fryatt. Im not too dissapointed in him because i feel there are goals in him. He gets into positions to score but needs to be a little more instinctive. He has to shoot quicker instead of trying to create the perfect opportunity. If he can learn to take more half chances on i feel he will get more goals.

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Personally speaking - I like Ziggy, apart from his positional sense. I think for a LB he defends well, can cross well (but doesn't often enough) and is great in the air. He does, however, wander a little (almost cost us a goal in the early minutes at the Milenium Stadium for those who remember). But, all in all, he's the best we have in that position. Support him.

By Cal's a saddler (217.137.228.19) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 08:34 am: Edit

Zigor is a saddler through and through! Its about time certain people on this site saw that!!!

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.179) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

What a relief. At last a Sunday where we can bask in the glory of a win.

I just wonder about the whole Onoura episode. To me the players havn't looked like they wanted to play for most of this season, then suddenly the same players play well. Coincidence?

All I can say is I hope this isn't another false dawn like Swindon was. We really have to go to Wrexham and get three points, to me next week is a massive game, because if its back to the same old rubbish we're going nowhere.

I just hope we can get this new coach in this week and get the season rolling, because looking at the league table someone is going to finish second by default. Brentford, Bradford etc. top five?? We should be filling our boots in this league with the players we have, lets get in amongst it.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.179) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:39 am: Edit

WsOne your comment about Birch and Fryatt is an odd one. The reason Fryatt doesn't get slaughtered is because he is top scorer. I.E. he's performed well several times this season and done the business in a red shirt. If Birch did that I'm sure everyone would love him and afford him bad games now and again, but with Birch its the good games that are now and again not the bad.
I would love to see Birch come good, he did ok last week at Huddersfield. If he gets a chance because Fryatt's off the boil it will surely be his last, and he needs to take it with both hands.
Personally I hope he does because he like most of our players, has the ability to be a success at this level.

By WSOne (81.178.148.104) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I agree with what you're saying Geordie. Good post mate.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Great post C & D. Nice to know some people give credit where it is due, regardless of their own opinions on the whole situation.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 04:14 pm: Edit

I'm just hoping I was wrong about Merson and it's all been Iffy's fault, but let's wait and see, shall we? It's only one game and Swindon proved that's nothing yet.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Feet on the ground and all that, the experienced coach should be the next piece in the jigsaw. The piece we all wanted from the start of the season.

And I wasn't referring to you Neil.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.172) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

So we're all agreed then, we're gonna win the league, the Sherpa Van trophy, and possibly the FA cup. Either way we're definitely in Europe, well Wrexham away.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Foreign country isn't it?

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

And I can go to work tomorrow (Colwyn Bay)!!! 2-0 HAHAHAHA - relief!

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

It ain't just that, remember, it could have been six and they weren't ever even in it!

By machew (195.224.86.71) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

What a difference 7 days make. I think we were inspired by Merson today. He was outstanding and so positive coming forward that I could see their defence at times worried to death. At the back Julian Bennett has become immense and to date is my run-away player of the season.

Osborne did make a few mistakes in a little patch during the 2nd half where he lost his way but he came through it and played his part in an excellent team display.

Blimey talk about giving your substitute keeper an easy introduction; a pass back 5 feet off the ground with a striker bearing down on him. Just what he wanted I'm sure. Who put that pass back in. Bet Paston bought them a pint afterwards

Went straight back to the George after and drank amongst some Colchester fans and one of them was referring to us as 'one of these small clubs who provide a banana skin'. Couldn't help but remind him he is only a Colchester fan. Bloody cheek !!!

Return to 2004-05 Season