Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wreham (a) - League - 16th October 2004

Reports and reaction from the 2004-05 season as Walsall finished 14th in League 1
Andy
UTS Regular

Wreham (a) - League - 16th October 2004

Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:40 am

By reading saddler (82.133.69.91) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

not the greatest start according to the text commentator !

Come on walsall

By reading saddler (82.133.69.91) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

two injury's for wrexham already two subs gone for them !! both defenders

By reading saddler (82.133.69.91) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

1-0 wrexham :'(

By reading saddler (82.133.69.91) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

C'Mon y'all saddlers

By SaddlerSteve (81.155.77.10) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

By the sound of it we ain't playing too bad but the lucks not with us.

By Jman (82.37.173.18) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

1-1 come on Lads!!!

By SaddlerSteve (81.155.77.10) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

Blow the f**king whistle!!

By SaddlerSteve (81.155.77.10) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 05:18 pm: Edit

A well deserved point which could have so easily been a win!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.189.82.244) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Sorry, but I expect us to beat teams like Wrexham if we want to go anywhere in this league.
Still to win away from home after nearly a third of the season gone.
7 away matches and 3 points out of 21. Frightening statistic.

By hullsaddler (83.100.141.68) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

It sounded to me from commentary that we are building on last week & that with a bit of luck we would have won.I know we have only taken 3 points away from home but I would rather think of the positives of today.Fair enough Sheff you might be right but I would prefer to wait a few games to see if we have turned the corner.

By Shad (195.92.168.169) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

We only started playing when Bennett scored. Before that only Wright, Murphy and Aranalde could have took credit.

Good Performence by all after the goal.

By Stu (195.92.67.75) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

I was too busy trying to flog my flat to go, but my old man did make the journey and said that although the 2nd half was a super performance, we could well have been 2 or 3 down by half time as we hadn't created anything and they'd wasted two good opportunities.

Commentary implied that Mark Wright got forward very well, his final ball should and will get better with training and experience. They also praised Osborn for a very good performance, however he was still getting called a 'Dingle' from certain Walsall fans apparently. That bloke can't do right for doing wrong in some folks eyes.

Got to be concerned about the strikers again. We've now gone 6 league matches without a goal from a striker.

Personally, I must say I thought we looked better going forward when Birch was in the side and I think he must be knocking on the door for a re-call after 3 in the last 2 in the reserves and the failure of our strikers to score.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Today was a mediocre result for a side with no more than realistic ambitions of dragging itself into mid-table mediocrity.
But It was a good result if you're pedantic about Merse keeping his job.
It was a bad result If you're serious about us going up from where we are now.

Take your pick for what its worth, but we are in the bottom 3rd.

By rolo (82.37.186.170) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

just got back.could have been out of it at half time,should have won it at the end.bennett easily m.o.m. midfield to old and slow.no ball winner.in the pub before the game listening to the taffs taking the •••• out of our so called youth as they walked by.really impressed not.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

OUR SEASON HAS TURNED! First half we didnt play that bad but second half we was unbelievable. Merson weaved his magic yet again and set up at least 8 chances. Emblen and Ozzie hit the bar and their keeper made three class saves.
Wright looked good taking defenders on but failed to deliver a decent percentage of crosses. Zigor yet again showed what we miss when he isnt in the team his attacking was again good but like Bennett failed to deliver a good cross.
Bennett and Emblen looked solid today apart from the last 15 minutes of the first half. We will NOT keep hold of Jules for that much longer.
Ozzie lost possession too much again, but was unlucky with his shot against the bar.
Merson showed he MUST be in the team even when he doesnt play well.
Kinsella and Wracky were probbaly the quietest on the pitch but kept possession well.
Fryatt and Jorge always looked a step behind play I do think we need another striker.

Overall impressed today and cant wait to beat Luton on Tuesday.
Eh oi ehoi eh oi oh up the football league we go!

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

and something else for those that dont believe we support the team, the fans were class at least 1,000 today and sung from start to finish!

if you think it was a mediocre result try going to the game (moaners) and seeing how much we improved!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.49.132) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Improved? We could not have got any worse. As pointed out. If you are happy with 3 points from 21 away from home this season against mainly p!ss poor teams then that is up to you.
Our season as turned, with a draw at Wrexham? What a sad individual you are.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

no sheff what a sad individual you are for criticising when you didnt even go! I aint happy with 3 points from 21 but im happy with todays performance. Yes a draw at wrexham means our season has turned compared to losing at Doncaster and Oldham!

By cheese bag (81.135.90.29) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Patchy first half, excellent 2ND, all over them for the last 25 mins, Wright worked well putting in the crosses even Osborne hit the bar. Fryatt looked jaded before being replaced by Birch....Time for a stint on the bench???

Wrack worked well, Bennett and Murphy also had good games.

Lets keep it going.

BTW geat support today, with all the chavs at the back, I was expecting 30 P reg Saxo's parked outside.

By ken (195.153.124.163) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Do everyone a favour Sheffield and go and support someone else . You are a loser .

wfc_2uk - nice one - sounds like plenty of spirit from players and fans - if that "togetherness" starts forming , we really could kick - start the season.

Up The Saddlers

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.49.132) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

So ken - If we had so much spirit what happened in the first half? According to reports and added to on this thread we were the pits.
What is the use of playing for the last 25 minutes? A game is for 90 minutes not less than a 1/3.
Wake up people. We have not turned a corner, we have simply helped keep us with the worse manager ever to step foot in Walsall FC.

By cheese bag (81.135.90.29) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Make a comment if you were there Shef, It was an entertaining game today... All over them for the last 1/2 hour, could have won 4-1

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

wfc-2k I've only missed 3 aways this season. I never make comments about games I havn'nt been to in respect of the performance, but the result is the result you don't have to be there to make a comment about it. We started 18th in the league, and drew with a team a few places above us, therefore it was a mediocre result (look it up if you want to know what mediocre means but the clue is in the first 3 letters). Not moaning, but the corner has not been turned in respect of us climbing into the promotion battle absolutely no way. We need to string about 4 or 5 wins together for that to be the case and that means winning away from home - something we havn't yet menaged all season. I also refute that Doncaster and Oldham should be the bench mark for performances to be measured against. We are supposed to be going for promotion, not battling relegation which were the standards set on thse days. Just take a step back from your one-up-manship versus the likes of Sheff and try to be sensible if you can manage it.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

sheffield go and watch "your team" and you might actually see we wasnt "the pits" first half. Merson was the difference today the bloke was so passionate today encouraing the crowd and kissing the badge. Even after the full time whistle he threw his shin pads in disust to the ground the man loves his football and i am starting to believe in the man. I was a little too hasty rushing to sack the man after 12 games but now he deserves his chance he has got more passion and desire for this club than dare i say it, Colin Lee ever had, sorry sheff.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.49.132) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

All over them for last 1/2 hour. Marvellous. So what happened to the other 2 half hours?
Have you not noticed that football is about 90 minutes, not waking up after 60 of them.
I do not need to be at any match to see that 3 points from 21. And unable to beat teams like Torquay(23rd), Oldham(21st), Doncaster(16th) and Wrexham(14th), really is the pits.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Cheese bag if we were all over them and should have won 4-1, is it not therefore slighly worrying that we did'nt even win at all? By all accounts we should have won but didn't so 2 points dropped then?

By cheese bag (81.135.90.29) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Agreed, we should have won but didn't BUT Shef calling us the pits without even being there?????

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Geordie we all started the season setting promotion as our target. 13 games in and we are starting to start performing how we expect. With an extra striker I do think we will be alright for the play-offs and yes that does mean a chance of promotion.
God, it bugs me when people havent been to the game, havent spent £30-£50 and still moan!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.49.132) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Well said Geordie. People clapping because we played well for 25 minutes against a team who started a few places above us. Wrexham for gods sake.
Great, we have a manager that kisses the badge and throws his shin pads. I can sleep better tonight knowing we have this bloke managing our football club.
As I have said 3 points from 21 away from home, in a sh!t divison like this, is PATHETIC.
MERSON OUT.

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:24 pm: Edit

no sheffield we are "clapping" because we played well for the majority of the game. Sheffield we got 2 points out of a possible 24 at the start of last season after playing the likes of Crewe,Burnley and Watford remind me again but i cant remember you shouting LEE OUT! you are a sad middle aged man that nobody can give a toss about so you come on here and expect the world to talk about you. You are a prat, that this club could do without.
PAUL MERSONS BARMY ARMY!

By cheese bag (81.135.90.29) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Passion..... That's waht the fans and players (well most of them!) showed today, an onward step from last weeks good performance against Colchester. We don't have a God given right to walk this division we have to earn the wins, The last couple of weeks have showed me (who has been to the matches) that we might, just might be getting there.

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.49.132) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I thought it was 5 from 24 as we beat Reading in the 8th away match?
So anyway, great, we have managed to gain an extra 1 point aw1y from home, having been playing in a divsion lower.
Marvellous.
P.S You also forgot to mention Sunderland and Ipswich at the same time you mentioned Crewe, Burnley and Watford.
Why is that I wonder?

By wfc_2uk (62.31.216.15) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

yeah and you dont mention Bournemouth or Huddersfield whys that?
agree totally with you cheesebag, we that was there today can notice that we are getting there. and agree why should a club with our recources have god given right to walk this division?

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Well, my curiosity got the better of me and we found 2 more to come with us to fill the car so eventually I made the journey.

In theory Sheff and Geordie are right, result wise its not great and we must win games like this to start climbing the table, but it was very encouraging.

This game would have been lost a few weeks ago. Sheff is right, we must start playing for more than 30 minutes. Although we didn't play bad in the first half we seem to have to concede a goal before we step up a gear, then we easily have the quality to win games. LETS START IN TOP GEAR LADS!

Murphy looked solid again and made a couple of good saves. Wright was involved lots in the second half, he just needs to work on his crossing as not enough are getting into the box at the moment, otherwise he played well again. Bennett and Emblen work well together and although I found it odd that Roper was dropped last week we should stick with these two. Zigor was great again for me and must stay in the team.

Midfield looked better than in previous away games. I'm still not Osborns biggest fan but the midfield are starting to compliment each other and even though Merse is marauding forward we are starting to look like we can cover for him.

I know those who didn't go won't believe me and I'm starting to sound like a stuck record but Birch wasn't just good when he came on, he was quality. Once again, like at Huddersfield it was no coincidence that when he came on our attacking improved immensely and we started having sustained attacks. He held the ball up well, won a few flick ons and set a few people up excellently for shots including Osborns effort against the bar.

Fryatt and Jorge just don't look sharp at the moment. I'd replace either of them for Birch, it doesn't matter who. They just need a goal quickly to lift themselves.

At last it looks like we've got a settled team that can compete, although either Jorge or Fryatt need dropping for Birch, at least for one game to give them a kick up the @rse.

I know the doubters won't beleive it but we did deserve to win today and it was down to luck as much as anything. The ball just isn't dropping for us at the moment.

We WILL beat Luton on Tuesday and we WILL beat Bristol City. This result may not suggest so but I think we are just turning the corner.

By Pedro (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Sheff stay at home on Tuesday mate and watch Emmerdale and Eastenders. All you seem to do is moan moan moan about everything. You never seem to be happy with whats going on at Walsall , you would even moan if we where top and not lost this season.In fact you sound like one of those Wolves fans who rings W.M up after the match .. SAD

And before you say anthing no i'm not happy with our away performances this seasons nor have I for a while but at least there where no fools saying 'Bring back Colin Lee@ today.

Agree we do need another forwatd. Birch put himself about a bit when he came on , and Jorge and Matty looked a bit out of sort

By Pedro (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Sheff stay at home on Tuesday mate and watch Emmerdale and Eastenders. All you seem to do is moan moan moan about everything. You never seem to be happy with whats going on at Walsall , you would even moan if we where top and not lost this season.In fact you sound like one of those Wolves fans who rings W.M up after the match .. SAD

And before you say anthing no i'm not happy with our away performances this seasons nor have I for a while but at least there where no fools saying 'Bring back Colin Lee' today.

Agree we do need another forwatd. Birch put himself about a bit when he came on , and Jorge and Matty looked a bit out of sort

By Jorge (81.131.83.135) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Time to give Fryatt and Birch and run together. I need a rest!

By Surrey Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

I wasn't at the game today but I did see the lads last week vs Colchester. They played well last week and won and from all accounts from the internet commentary played well today. What pleased me about last week was that they kept the ball and furthermore played it along the ground. That seems to have been repeated today. A foolish lapse let Wrexham score but after that we hit the woodwork twice. So, as far as I am concerned the jury is still out on Merse. I hope the change in style in play (ball played to feet) is the result of Merse putting his stamp on the team (now that Iffy has gone) and will be continued. Here's hoping we can now go on and improve. As for the doubters- they should remember that we do not have a God given right to promotion

By PGtips (213.48.64.202) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Pretty good summary MMF.

It was worth the admission fee today just to see Merson running at the Wrexham defence whilst playing keepie-upie before backheeling to Zigor for a cross. Outrageous showboating.

Just to satisfy the moaners I admit we should have won and its 2 points dropped. Still enjoyed it though.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Don't mention the showboating PG Tips! Entertainment isn't allowed!

By Salop Saddler (213.78.59.132) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I'm not saying we've 'turned any corners' but it's starting to look much better, both in terms of confidence and balance. We should have had all three points, Merson and Bennett were class, and as much as a great many people won't want to hear this, Birch needs to be in the first eleven for the next few games.

I know some people think that we should be eating teams like Wrexham for breakfast, perhaps we should be, but don't forget we're a side running on empty in terms of confidence. But it's seadily coming.

And finally, well done to the thousand or so Saddlers fans who put the Taffs to shame in terms of vocal support. A fair afternoon all round.

By cannock (82.37.171.99) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Fantastic performance today. Even though we controlled the first half we went in at the break 1 down due to a lapse in marking at set pieces.

Had Birch started today we would have won comfortably. During the first half Wright supplied 5 or 6 quality crosses that Fryatt and Leitao completely failed to attack.

Second half we were rampant thumping the bar twice and leitao missing some sitters. Overall, a great game of footy.

By Exile (219.88.33.229) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

1-1 is less than I hoped for, if I'm allowed to comment from over here, but plenty of positives too. Two points dropped instead of scraping one up in a miracle last-ditch moment is a much better way to describe our team, isn't it? OK we didn't win, but a point is a point.

Getting a feeling that we're on the edge of something now.

Cheers all,
Exile

By SheffieldSaddler (172.190.191.112) on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

MMF - Thanks for summary.
cannock - You are the only person who has come on here to say it was a fantastic performance and we controlled the first half. I will just put that down to drink.
Pedro - Sheffield to Walsall using the train in 2 hours on a Tuesday night, no chance. Pity though, I would have bought you a pint and then happily poured it over you head.
As I have repeated, we need to start winning away if we are going to get anywhere near the play offs.

By coxanddrummie (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Judging by the match reports it seems Walsall have now become goal shy. If the club can conjure up a loan deal then i feel they need to get a striker in who can score goals.

I have confidence that Fryatt will score consitently in time but he is a young player still learning the game. Leitoa hasn't scored as well as he should have and the club can't rely on Birch no matter how good his substitute appearences are.

He will not score consistently, his goals ratio prove this. Time to get another Striker in.

By dler (82.152.45.15) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

Thanks MMF for a reasonable summary. Don't know how accurate it was, I wasn't there. (Obviously not a supporter then, according to some). I sincerely hope we have 'turned the corner', but having witnessed so many false dawns, I trust you will allow a little scepticism. I wasn't following the results too closely today, but didn't Luton lose? If so, won't they be determined to get back on the winning trail in their next match?

I'm sure we all expected (hoped) to do better than we are, but life really is....... something.

By Lichfield John (81.77.114.247) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

I think a big well done to the lads today or should that be yesterday.Before you pessimists come on and say we should have got 3 points,you've got to remember our season really started last week.No team are a pushover regardless of their league position and i don't really think we had a good record against Wrexham anyway,so a good result all round.Managers always say if you can't win away,come back with a draw.

Before Colchester,we were badly underachieving.I don't see any reason why we can't start climbing the table.Next week is gonna be a big week in terms of football.

As Coxy pointed out,a loan signing in the forward area is what we need.There's no better time to bring in a new face.Two good performances,confide nce is starting to grow and our new coach starts on monday.

Personally i cannot wait for tuesday.I'm even throwing a sickie so i can make it.I hope the boss ain't reading this.

Nice to see Mr Coxy making some sense for once.By the way Coxy,you still haven't told me your real name.I've asked on two accounts on the board,no reply as yet.

Interesting to actually find out who you are because i happen to work with a couple of lads who were at Forest when you was supposed to be there.

By Lichfield John (81.77.114.247) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

I think a big well done to the lads today or should that be yesterday.Before you pessimists come on and say we should have got 3 points,you've got to remember our season really started last week.No team are a pushover regardless of their league position and i don't really think we had a good record against Wrexham anyway,so a good result all round.Managers always say if you can't win away,come back with a draw.

Before Colchester,we were badly underachieving.I don't see any reason why we can't start climbing the table.Next week is gonna be a big week in terms of football.

As Coxy pointed out,a loan signing in the forward area is what we need.There's no better time to bring in a new face.Two good performances,confide nce is starting to grow and our new coach starts on monday.

Personally i cannot wait for tuesday.I'm even throwing a sickie so i can make it.I hope the boss ain't reading this.

Nice to see Mr Coxy making some sense for once.By the way Coxy,you still haven't told me your real name.I've asked on two accounts on the board,no reply as yet.

Interesting to actually find out who you are because i happen to work with a couple of lads who were at Forest when you was supposed to be there.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

The only disappointment has to be the fact they lost two defenders through injury early on and we failed to take advantage. Possession must be turned into goals - that was the problem last year. Think of Crewe at home - didn't see the ball for 45 minutes, yet they went in only 1 - 0 down.

By cheese bag (81.131.169.231) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 09:15 am: Edit

Dler...Not a dig at you about not being a supporter, I have 3 small kids and couldn't make games a couple of seasons ago BUT what I do hate is the likes of Shefs comments further up this thread about us being the "Pits" and "Merse Out" without being there!!!!!

By cully (62.255.32.9) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

Overall, a very good performance and once again we were unlucky not to have won. There will always be times in any match when the opposition have the upper hand but I feel a new confidence from the players is starting to give them more self belief in their ability to overcome any setbacks during the game. The last two games have set a bench mark for Mersons 'system' call it what you will, and I believe that we can now be reasonably optimistic about the rest of the season. There are still obvious weaknesses in the team but it is interesting to observe that despite what would appear arguements on field between players, one in particular between Merson and Osbourne, these are put behind them now for the good of the team. Watching the players reactions I think that they are bourne out of frustration at not fulfilling their ability. This I am sure is a good sign and was translated into a superb comeback helped more importantly by increased work rate and more effort to win the ball. They actually looked more dominant and for the first time this season I felt confident about not losing!
Looking forward to Tuesday.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

I'm not a moaner or a pessimist, I would have taken 4 points from the last two matches after the Huddersfield debacle because the first thing we have to do at this club is stop the rot. If sacking Onoura is the first step on that road then great, the players seem to have responded to that. For us to achieve our realistic ambition of getting in the play-offs we need to be beating mediocre mid-table teams on a regular basis, that is the dissapointing thing for me, nothing to say about the performance just frustrated that another decent chance to get back to back wins has passed us by. That's something we should be looking to achieve this week because if we can't win away we sure as hell need to be winning at home.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit

The other consideration is that, during the summer, I was castigating people for saying we'd walk this league, as it is notoriously hard to get out of. I was wrong. I haven't seen a decent defence yet (although some teams ain't bad going forward) and we should have got a lot more points. I agree with Geordie about the need was stopping the rot, and we have now appeared to do just that. We now need to push on. Luton will be a good test, but, to be honest, this really is a poor division.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.177) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 10:41 am: Edit

Agreed Neil, of all the years I've watched football at this level I honestly can't remember a poorer standard than this. For me the most frustrating thing has been that most teams have not tried to kick us, but have tried to play football, which in theory should suit us down to the ground. There are encouraging signs, but we need to get rid of the habit of giving teams a goal start. Hopefully high profile Frank can sort that out in the weeks to come.

By wfc_2uk (213.48.83.133) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

"I would have taken 4 points from the last two matches after the Huddersfield debacle" well Geordie why have a pop at me at the start of the thread for being a little optimistic about our recent performances if you was happy with 4 from 6 in the last two games?
I expect more than 5,000 (minus sheff) at Bescot on Tuesday to cheer the lads on to another win and for us to close the points on the play-offs to just 3!
COME ON YOU SADDLERS!

By SheffieldSaddler (172.185.146.170) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Although I think we need something from the next 2 matches, I feel the real test will come in the next 4 after this.
Most supporters will have noticed that our home form is ok. Although not playing well, we have done ok at home.
The major problem we have is our away form. 3 points from 21 show this.
So after Luton and Bristol City we have to play MK, Hull and Bradford away in the next 4 matches.
If we are going anywhere we should be expecting 6 points from these 3 away matches.

By Magic Man Fan (81.155.26.10) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

This is where the season starts, I really do feel we can beat Luton and Bristol City but I would settle for 4 points if as Sheff points out that we can get 7 points from MK, Hull and Bradford.

This is where we must start being consistent if we're going to climb the table otherwise its just going to be setback after setback.

The frustrating thing is that if that winning goal would have come yesterday the table would look much healthier.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

I didn't have a pop at you for being optimistic, I admire your optimism. If anything you had a pop at me for merely stating my opinion that in isolation yesterday was a mediocre result, not the second coming of Christ that the ridiculously partisan pro-Merson lobby would have us believe simply because they are more interested in point proving.

A sensible assesment is that the last two results together represent progress against the backdrop of being awful and in the bottom 4 prior to those games. However draws against mid-table teams will not get us from where we are now to the top six which is what we want.

I don't need to go to games to be able to have an opinion on a result thank you, and I certainly don't need you to tell me to "try going to the game". I go to plenty of games thanks irrespective of whether we are good bad or indifferent, irrespective of whether I'm skint or whatever. I'll be there next week, and will therefore be able to form an opinion on the performance as well as the result.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.175) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Exactly MMF, its all about results and any rehersals, learning curves, bedding in periods, learning from mistakes etc. or as I would prefer to call them excuses, have to be put to one side. Its time for the players and the manager to start earning their money by producing the results they are capable of week in week out from now to the end of the season. Consistency, professionalism, and organisation are the bedrocks of promotion teams and that's what we have lacked up to now, that's what we need to show from now on because as we all know the talent is there in the squad.

By Pedro (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Oh Sheffield you do make me laugh. I would not want a drink from you even if you paid. You moan so much I feel sorry for your friends , thats if you have any.

Why do you always have to have a go at the team. Do you think we have a right to be top of the league.Do you think we should be beating teams 5 or 6 nil.
I bet even if you support Arsenal you would moan.

Sheffield go and get yourself a good woman , it does help. Oh I do no who you are

By Christian Saddler (195.93.34.9) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

God bless you Sheff! Try going to church on a Sunday you may find an inner peace and calmness in your life. As for yesterdays match Merson was pure class a finer performace i have rarely seen. We deserved a win but it was not to be. God bless you all

By SheffieldSaddler (172.191.175.21) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Pedro - No I dont think we have a right be be top of the league.
But I do think we should be higher than we are considering the players we have and how poor this league really is.
I am also glad you know(note the spelling) who I am? Your point being?

By cully (62.255.32.9) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Its been over two months now and still people are saying this is a poor league, what do they mean? Compared to what? The 1st Division, the Premier League, well yes, compared to the 3rd division and the Conference no. Obvious isn't it. All the teams we've played this season seemed to be about the same standard including us, but then again, if you never go, you can only speculate.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Cully, I haven't seen a decent defensive display by any of our opponents this season. From what I've seen so far, it's a lower standard than either of the last two seasons we played here. No teams of the standard of Sjoke, Man City, Fulham, Burnley, Preston, Gillingham, etc.

By mikedoyle (81.130.219.223) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:35 am: Edit

Thought our support on Saturday was excellent,any team that,by my reckoning,can muster 15% of it`s average home gate at away matches is doing well,pity some chose to boo at the end of the first half.
It seemed to me we changed tactics in the second half,instead of trying to play the "killer"ball,to Jorge or Fryatt,usually leaving them isolated and waiting for support,usually a long wait,we adopted a much tighter passing game.
This was supported by Zigor getting forward more and Wright,who was excellent all day,giving us width,Wright`s cross for the goal was a peach,
Osborne really started to play and didn`t give the ball away ,as had been happening earlier.
The front two are not a "pair" though,I would like to see Birch and Fryatt up front,Jorge is definitely not as sharp as he was,and that was a dreadful miss at he end
Overall the signs are there that we are starting to come to terms with this division,yes the opposition wasn`t great,but they were effective,and it just needed us to work out a way round them,in my view that came a bit late,another ten minutes and we would have won.
No doubt that is where Frank Barlow will be able to use his experience.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.179) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Cully I'm comparing the standards of the opposition in the 7 games I've been to this season, versus the other 20 odd seasons I've watched us at this level. In my opinion the standard is relatively poor in that context. Is that clear enough for ya?

By cully (81.107.13.26) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Not really Geordie/Neil, don't know how you can remember opposition from the last twenty years, analyse and compare them to this seasons opposition with any degree of accuracy. This would require an amazing rather than selective memory of the 'good old days'. Rather reminds me of some old person who says football played in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's was much better than football played today. Ever seen all that old crap footage of Stanley Matthews dribbling, can't imagine him having any success against Ashley Cole, Stuart Pearce or even Zigor! Just think about any old footage of football games, ever seen a replay of the 1966 World Cup Final, the current Arsenal team would thrash the pants off both teams. The game is constantly improving, I'd back any top 6 Premier League team to beat any team from over ten years ago. The same goes for all the divisions.
Poor standard? I don't think so.

By Neil Ravenscroft (82.37.185.68) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:14 pm: Edit

I'm not talking about twenty years ago. The last twice we were here, so were the likes of Sjoke, Manchester City, Fulham, Burnley, Preston, Gillingham and, of course, Reading. I haven't seen anything to compare with those sides of only four or five years ago.

By cully (81.107.13.26) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Neil, you may well have a valid point but I think that when the season ends just compare the goals scored/conceded and perhaps you may draw a different conclusion.
I can't be bothered but I'm sure someone will come up with the statistics for those seasons.
I await with baited breath!

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.177) on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Point is there are two teams who were in here with us 6 years ago who are now established in the premiership, the top three in the championship have all been in this league in the last few seasons and struggled to get out. Is there seriously anyone in this division who you could see either established in or on their way to the premiership in the next few seasons? Brentford maybe? Chesterfield? Bournemouth? Colchester?

And my memory is awful, accept when it comes to remembering football over the last 3 decades. Oxford, Watford, Wimbledon, Aston Villa, Middlesborough, Sunderland etc etc. I think you'll find all of them went on to top flight football within a season of leaving the old third division, with cup finals and major trophies to follow not long after.

By WarsawPact (217.205.45.94) on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 09:15 am: Edit

Why choose those 4 clubs for comparison, Geordie?
Sheff W and Bristol C have support and "history", Hull have support and cash. It wouldn't be inconceivable to see any of these in the Prem in the next few seasons.

By Geordiesaddler (195.92.168.173) on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Its just my opinion. And I've have pointed to a few things to demonstrate where I'm coming from. Its no big deal, its not the meaning of life and disagree by all means. And no I don't think we will be seeing any of the above in the premiership
in the near future, or anywhere near. Of course its not inconceivable, but as sides at this level I don't regard Hull, Bristol City or Sheff Wed to be on the same planet as were the likes of Man City, Fulham, etc. Who are the clubs spending millions on individuals as has been the case in the past?

We are still the same we spend nowt, but the money has gone out of this league, along with most of the perenial bigger "nearly" clubs like Burnley, Preston, Stoke, etc. who found there way out as the standard dropped. The fact that Sky barely cover the lower divisions these days is testimony to how times have changed.

Return to 2004-05 Season